Ranger GS 4 & GS 5 - Small Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

Either GS 5 Hilt Bash needs longer range to match the knockback on GS 4 Counterattack or Counterattack needs a shortened knockback so that GS 5 can actually follow up and hit as a combo. As of now, when the animation of Counterattack’s knockback ends, opponents are knocked too far back to follow up with any melee before they recover and dodge roll away.

Honestly if you polished up these animations so that they could work together as a chainable combo, it would help the Ranger’s viability in SPvP.

Counterattack in to Hilt Bash in to Moment Of Clarity Maul as a reliable DPS method with smoothed out animations to support it. Any other Ranger players think this is a good idea?

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

(edited by Trevor Boyer.6524)

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Odds are, if they don’t go as far, you will proc moment of clarity on the counterattack and will use the extra damage on the weak hilt bash. Hilt bash range should be increased. There is no reason to shorten counterattack. Just increase hilt bash so that it can synergize better with every skill, not just counterattack.

in PvP

Posted by: singinggecko.5736

singinggecko.5736

Don’t forget to include how frustrating it is to have counterattack miss a majority of the time or being completely countered by shadow shot. It also makes me sad when I’m using it to run away from a Mesmer and then I see a greatsword phantasm come up and know I’m about to whiff if I keep blocking.

in PvP

Trevor Boyer.6524

Hrm… I guess on the topic of Ranger Greatsword as a whole, there are a few things that I could comment on:

• Hilt Bash in to Maul is about the only thing that flows well, animation wise.
  • Swoop in to Hilt Bash should flow well but it does not. Mainly because Hilt Bash range is too short.
  • Counterattack is great but it has a couple problems. The knockback pushes enemies too far away to follow up with anything, even Maul. The counterattack can cause problems if you’re blocking while trying to peel. It would be great if you could keep walking while the counterattack animation was taking place rather than making you stop and stand still. It often feels as good as getting immobilized if your counterattack goes off while you’re trying to peel out of a team fight.

Also note: I don’t necessarily believe these are “problems” so to say. I’m just trying to get feedback that would help Ranger be more viable in competitive play.

in PvP

Eurantien.4632

Counterattack → maul works…

in PvP

Trevor Boyer.6524

Counterattack -> maul works…

If your opponent is flat footed and has no reflex sure.
Otherwise they get up and dodge roll right before it hits, that’s the problem.

in PvP

Eurantien.4632

Then the issue isn’t the distance.

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

given the tools other profs get, hilt bash should be a cone attack castable while moving that can cleave 3 targets. but that’s not gonna happen now is it?

just make it castable while moving.

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

As said before, maybe chaining Counterattack with Hilt Bash(more Hilt Bash range) could help to land Maul

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Trevor Boyer.6524

The issue is either too much distance on Counterattack knockback
Or not enough range on Hilt Bash, a-net’s choice of perception
~ That’s my opinion at least

Mistsim also has a good point
Given what he said, Hilt Bash could just be given some range to help with gap closing

in PvP

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Hilt Bash needs added range. It’s reliable if your opponent is facing you and moving towards you, but if you’re chasing someone and not running within them, you’ll miss.

The problem with Counterattack is the brief pause in movement.

in PvP

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Wasnt hilt bash range bugged, not actually giving the full range its tooltip says its supposed to? Could be why

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in PvP

Posted by: Fikfain.5849

Fikfain.5849

I usually swoop→hilt bash→maul and save counterattack for if they’re still alive or if a ranged opponent wants to help their buddy out.

Fikbomber — Big Red and White Charr Engineer
Fikfain — Little Purple Sylvari Mesmer
Ascension [WAR] of Borlis Pass

in PvP

Posted by: blitzkrieg.2451

blitzkrieg.2451

Counterattack needs to not stick when counterattacking and remove the stupid high telegraph animation on it. Right now you can just trigger it to lock a ranger in place and exploit it to land burst on them, which a defensive skill shouldn’t be used for. Mesmers are a huge culprit of this with clones specifically the iZerker as it only blocks 1 attack , you get hit by the rest of the whirlwind attack + stuck in place to eat a full shatter lineup and either LR out of it or waste stone signet. It just hurts more than it helps against melee most of the time, against ranged it’s perfect though.

Hilt bash is bugged I think anyway and isn’t properly doing the actual intended range but still needs an increase anyway and better tracking. Look how fluid warrior’s mace stun is and look how jerky and bulky hilt bash is, also locks you in place while you do it.

Sword 1 also locks you in place, what is up with Anet making cool attacks but making rangers lock in place to perform them? It’s just bad design.

Tanbin – Ranger / Thief / Ele
Maguuma