Ranger vs Guardian tough fight ?

in PvP

Posted by: Falomir.3870

Falomir.3870

Hey guys,

I’ve been lately dueling a lot with my brother, he’s playing guardian and I’m a ranger. I started with my standard zerker ranger build with GS/LB but I just got destroyed no matter what few seconds after the fight started.

Since that I’ve been trying to find something good against guardian. Started with using the so called Shoutbow build with LB/Staff (https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Druid_-_Shoutbow) and it worked fine for a while against a standard trap guardian. Actually I started to win every duel.

Unfortunately after that my brother switched to burning condi guardian build and now I’m stuck with losing no matter what build I use. Tried my zerker ranger – killed in seconds, tried the more sustainable Shoutbow with Staff and I feel like I lack damage. I can sustain much longer, the fight takes few minutes but after that I always end up with healing/defensive skills on cooldown and eventually losing due to burn.

Anyone having any advice here ? I’m starting to think that there just might be no build to kill that guy and I’m a little bit sad

in PvP

Posted by: xeonage.1253

xeonage.1253

burning + block block block heal heal blink blind blink blind dodge dodge inv inv block block block heal heal blink blind blink blind ~ don’t be sad, The balance of each class in this game are …… kitten! let’s go to play a guard.

(edited by xeonage.1253)

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

This is probably best answered on the Ranger forums but as a burn DH, I don’t lose to Rangers

The better Rangers (don’t know the build) kite like crazy, stealth like crazy, and sustains himself the best he can while the pet does most of the work. The ranger will occasionally try to pull off rapid fire, knockbacks and sometimes root.

Never stand near your pet when he’s getting hit with symbols, damage, etc. Permeating Wrath’s damages multiplies when there’s more people within a 240 radius of each other for the Guard to damage.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in PvP

xeonage.1253

Do you know what is the issue?

Go def
You do not have enough damage output to kill him between their each healing CD.

Go att
You don’t have enough cleaning skill. You are dead before you kill him because of crazy burning damage and block inv etc.

And they are not move to you. They pass a key and blink to your position, so the movement skill and terrain all are useless for them.

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

Burn guard has like no sustain…stay away from him and let your pet + ranged attacks do the work.

Counter his blink with staff 3. Once his blink is on cd he is pretty much dead meat.

in PvP

xeonage.1253

Arr … they run their def sustain skill and kite you. When their damage and movement skill are CD. They pass a key blink to you and begin their output. When they spam all their output skill then they will repeat those thing. Rev DH Thief Mes all are in same mode.
So, don’t get mind on this game. If you want to win. Go to choose other class is the better way or you do very well on movement / understand all terrain trick / timing handle.

in PvP

Falomir.3870

Soooo, basically what I understand from the above responses the balance here is f***d and I should accept the fact that ranger will have a lot of trouble against burn guardian.

Is there any class that is good against all? maybe i should rather create a new character then

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

as a rng you will have trouble with almost any condi build.

A condi engi would probably rip you apart faster than a burn guard could.

in PvP

Falomir.3870

Yeah, I remember getting wrecked by such engis in unranked last few days.

in PvP

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Its just a matter of perspective an timing.

Against a burn guard numerous smaller cleanses are more important than 1-2 big condi dumps. Damage is also important if your running limited condi cleanse cause you need to both force the guardian on the defensive as well as be able to make what hits DO go through count.

MEANWHILE. A ranger set up slightly differently completely ignores burn guards.

For example im running a DPS set up with paladins, solider runes, full shouts, longbow gs, and evasive purity in nature magic.

I can pretty much fight a burn guards friend and completely ignore the fact that hte burn guard exists unless his friend is condi as well. (Then I focus down the burn guard cause hes likely the squishiest of the two).

The same thing with a condi engi. CA to break the initial dump. Stealth. Heal up what damage I did take then enjoy killing him and layering cleanses with each of his subsequent “bursts”.

Im not saying you have to change your build. Condi engi and guardians aren’t the most common enemy you will be fighting.

Just keep in mind that even a simple trait change like going to evasive purity might help with removing some of the major threat they pose. Guardians dont have alot of cover conditions after all. Especially now that geomancy doesnt exist any more.

TL:DR RANGER has no problem with burn guards in the SLIGHTEST. The build you and many others are currently running MIGHT though.

Ghost Yak

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

Yeah, I remember getting wrecked by such engis in unranked last few days.

I’m not saying it’s impossible for a ranger to customize to fight condi builds, but some classes just have a harder time dealing with other classes in general.

For example, almost any necro build you take you will have lots of trouble with a thf (due to thf ability to disengage until necro exits shroud). Similarly, thf and mes have trouble dealing with guardians in almost all the builds guardians can use (due to guardian’s ability to shower a point with damage killing clones and nailing waiting thfs and even if you go condi, most guard meta builds inherently have a lot of condi cleanse).

If you insist on going rng, your best bet is just to stack as much condi cleanse on yourself as possible and keep your distance from the guard and your pet.

in PvP

Falomir.3870

For example im running a DPS set up with paladins, solider runes, full shouts, longbow gs, and evasive purity in nature magic.

Would you share what other traits you use? I’d like to test that. Or is it mostly about evasive purity here agaist condi?

in PvP

Shadelang.3012

Would you share what other traits you use? I’d like to test that. Or is it mostly about evasive purity here agaist condi?

NM 112 BM 322 Druid 113. Its not just for condis. Its a 1v1 build in general and strong enough to kill just about anything if you play it right. The stable condi clear helps against power builds as well (Getting rid of cripple, vuln, weakness etc.)

I play it as a harasser build. HaO Guard P.M. Sic Em and SoTP.

I spend most of my time taking/trolling far but I assist in team fights as able and when necessary. It uses boon copying to make up for the loss of ferocity by stacking boons generated by traits,sigils, and utilities (sigils I use are courage seperation longbow and agility battle GS).

I use smokescale and fire wyvern with this setup. Electric wyvern and bristleback just aren’t reliable enough for me and wyverns can hit like a kittening TRUCK when buffed by the build.

Ghost Yak

in PvP

Posted by: Itz Jay.8941

Itz Jay.8941

Bunker druid. The sustain from bunker druid will always out heal a guardian in a 1v1, combine the sustain with your mobility and LoS you shouldn’t be losing vs DH.

Power ranger is really a low level and niche build in PvP. I have no problems destroying a power ranger on any class in a 1v1, or forcing him to disengage and retreat in a team fight rendering him useless.

Bunker druid is definitely the way to go in my opinion, it is a very strong build and has few counters due to it’s disengage and re-engage potential.

in PvP

Shadelang.3012

Bunker druid. The sustain from bunker druid will always out heal a guardian in a 1v1, combine the sustain with your mobility and LoS you shouldn’t be losing vs DH.

Power ranger is really a low level and niche build in PvP. I have no problems destroying a power ranger on any class in a 1v1, or forcing him to disengage and retreat in a team fight rendering him useless.

Bunker druid is definitely the way to go in my opinion, it is a very strong build and has few counters due to it’s disengage and re-engage potential.

I welcome you to try and destroy me at any given point. We can set up times and record and I can even stream it. “power ranger” is a meme dedicated to a specific style of play that isnt effective in the current game. But a dps ranger build using power as its weapon of choice CAN and DOES work.

Ghost Yak

in PvP

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

In general, meta Druid absolutely destroys guardians of any type. You can mess up multiple times and still win comfortably. ESPECIALLY burn guard (which is just a useless build in my opinion) because it is just so easy for you to dodge the burst and even if you mess up, CA will clear that burn immediately. The same should go for shoutbow because you have just as much condi cleanse and still plenty of dodges and sustain. If you have problems as shoutbow, just go for meta s/d and then if you die to anything at all on that build 1v1 then it truly is your own fault.

As for GS/lb zerker Druid, meta DH is a very tough matchup, but it definitely can be won if you play it right. The key is to stay at range (just completely ignore the capture point in this 1v1, if you don’t do this you will die) and do not swap off longbow until you baited out all of the blocks/invulns and you are going for the final burst to kill the DH. You really need to make sure you time your skills right. It is vital that you do not waste cooldowns when the DH is blocking.

In general, you just need to time all your skills correctly and stay at range to beat meta DH on zerk druid.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

in PvP

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

I personally find that my staff (as opposed to my lb) does way better where I can still sit range and the auto cannot be blocked with shield or reflected. Pair that up with Quickening Zephyr and watch them panic. If you are already on LB, make sure you use the LB5 first to put some speed pressure on them first.

Your pets also give you an advantage as they can trigger traps and deal extra damage and pressure.

*tip, if using LB, bait out the CC trap that are usually spec’d for by using the wolf’s howl as the initial CC which will force them to drop the trap, then use the LB root combo. This way the knock back will actually knock them back.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights