Ranger weakest class in pvp?

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

I have noticed that I can easily kill nearly all rangers, when I see one on the enemy team I feel great because its almost a guaranteed free kill. Of course there are some very talented players who are good at getting away or kiting, but in 100 games I might see 2 of those.

In contrast it seems either the other classes are very strong or are only played by very skilled players. With most of the other classes its more like out of 100 games I might see 2-5 players that seem to be weak and the rest are either unkillable (condi warrior, some ele builds, and most engis) or at the least a challenge.

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

I have noticed that I can easily kill nearly all rangers, when I see one on the enemy team I feel great because its almost a guaranteed free kill.

50% of your posts are in the Ranger forums…

… I still want tengu.

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.2798

Chase.2798

I have noticed that I can easily kill nearly all rangers, when I see one on the enemy team I feel great because its almost a guaranteed free kill. Of course there are some very talented players who are good at getting away or kiting, but in 100 games I might see 2 of those.

In contrast it seems either the other classes are very strong or are only played by very skilled players. With most of the other classes its more like out of 100 games I might see 2-5 players that seem to be weak and the rest are either unkillable (condi warrior, some ele builds, and most engis) or at the least a challenge.

What build/ profession do you play? You might be playing a counter

Big Papa Chase – Warrior and Guardian
Papa’s Lady Luck- Necro
(HELL)

in PvP

Yasha.5963

I don’t have HoT, but I mainly play burn guard, trap condi ranger, and thief-either condi or burst. Are they hard to beat on other classes?

in PvP

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

Ranger is certainly not the weakest class. I win 90% of my 1v1 on ranger and I have very high burst (I can kill things like thieves and marauder revs in seconds if I land all my burst), great healing and support and good mobility and disengage.

Maybe you are just a much better player than the Rangers you have fought because a condi guard/trap ranger should not beat an equally skilled player using the meta Druid build. Rangers are especially good against condition builds because they have 2 full condi clears, one (celestial avatar) on a 15 second cooldown.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

in PvP

Posted by: Vicky.4563

Vicky.4563

What are you talking about mate? Doncha know? Druid so stronk it can kill without weapons!

in PvP

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

I think a lot of you are missing one key information…he doesn’t have HoT. That changes the whole question isn’kitten :P

Core rangers are far from fine, but again, so does every core class.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

Ranger is certainly not the weakest class. I win 90% of my 1v1 on ranger and I have very high burst (I can kill things like thieves and marauder revs in seconds if I land all my burst), great healing and support and good mobility and disengage.

Maybe you are just a much better player than the Rangers you have fought because a condi guard/trap ranger should not beat an equally skilled player using the meta Druid build. Rangers are especially good against condition builds because they have 2 full condi clears, one (celestial avatar) on a 15 second cooldown.

On condi builds I have much more trouble against warrior and ele, and some thief builds- just can’t get condis to stick for long enough.

I should make a video compilation, I’m like a ranger mass murderer its crazy.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

I think a lot of you are missing one key information…he doesn’t have HoT. That changes the whole question isn’kitten :P

Core rangers are far from fine, but again, so does every core class.

Yes, maybe the other classes feel different to play against when you have HoT. Druid is really quite easy to kill though. If I see a team with 2 warriors an ele and two engis for example I feel like giving up before the game even starts (assuming the warriors and engis have HoT builds).

in PvP

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

Ranger is not the weakest class, probably guardian is. Although I feel the seed nerf brought them from metaish to average.

in PvP

Posted by: Marxx.5021

Marxx.5021

Necro is also weak in PvP. Normally the first target to get focused down because they have no sustain.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

Necro is also weak in PvP. Normally the first target to get focused down because they have no sustain.

I think Reaper is very strong, but I was able to start beating it when I changed to long-bow on trap ranger. The thing is I have to land my full burst multiple times to kill one (takes a while), while most seem to be able to pretty much two shot me if I get caught close when they go reaper mode: actually that seems to be a theme with lots of HoT specs- high defence, high damage, brainless auto-procs, and lots of aoe spam.

Killable, but definitely not a free kill like most of the rangers I seem to come across.

in PvP

Posted by: Marxx.5021

Marxx.5021

I think Reaper is very strong, but I was able to start beating it when I changed to long-bow on trap ranger. The thing is I have to land my full burst multiple times to kill one (takes a while), while most seem to be able to pretty much two shot me if I get caught close when they go reaper mode: actually that seems to be a theme with lots of HoT specs- high defence, high damage, brainless auto-procs, and lots of aoe spam.

Killable, but definitely not a free kill like most of the rangers I seem to come across.

Druid has more sustain than core Ranger I think. Though thats a problem with all professions having elite specs not ballanced with pre HoT specs.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Doesn’t have HoT, complains that ranger is weak. Newsflash, most core builds are garbage compared to HoT specs.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Yasha.5963

Doesn’t have HoT, complains that ranger is weak. Newsflash, most core builds are garbage compared to HoT specs.

Complain? I am saying rangers seem like the weakest class in spvp because I can kill them 98% of the time on my non-HoT builds. Why can I kill rangers so easily while other classes- particularly ele, engi, and condi warrior are virtually gods?

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

Complain? I am saying rangers seem like the weakest class in spvp because I can kill them 98% of the time on my non-HoT builds. Why can I kill rangers so easily while other classes- particularly ele, engi, and condi warrior are virtually gods?

They’re not, you have just had the luxury of fighting very bad ones.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

Right…. nearly all the rangers I played against are noobs, the players on the other classes are just pro.

in PvP

Pyriall.1683

Right…. nearly all the rangers I played against are noobs, the players on the other classes are just pro.

I can set up some time with some good ones if you care to.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Please fight ROM’s ranger and record it please so we can all see how you “own” him~

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Yasha.5963

I know there are some good players, really good players; but it seems like anyone can be a good player on say condi warrior or hammer engi, but only a few are good at ranger.

in PvP

Pyriall.1683

I know there are some good players, really good players; but it seems like anyone can be a good player on say condi warrior or hammer engi, but only a few are good at ranger.

I can set you up some matches with some average ones if you want.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

I get plenty of practice killing them in spvp …..

in PvP

Pyriall.1683

Let’s see some of those practices.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

Let’s see some of those practices.

OK I’ll try and get some footage for you.

in PvP

Posted by: Ghazan.9213

Ghazan.9213

Ranger was about the 6th best class for all of season 2, it got to be about 2nd or 3rd best for about a month in unranked and now it’s about 6th best again for the whole of season 3.

in PvP

Posted by: Lettuce.2945

Lettuce.2945

Duel my ranger with what you said “rekts” rangers. I promise you won’t win a single duel and probably won’t even get me past 75% hp. Please record too.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

Please fight ROM’s ranger and record it please so we can all see how you “own” him~

I have said several times that there are good rangers out there that I (probably) can’t beat; my point is not that I am super amazing, my point is that even though I am not particularly good I can still kill nearly all the rangers I meet extremely easily while using non HoT builds whereas most other classes are either a challenge or impossible to kill. Which tells me the ranger class is very weak.

Its as if most of the other classes have HoT builds that make the average or new player into a force to be reckoned with, while only the best players can dig something great out of ranger.

Now possibly non-HoT thief or warrior are even weaker: thief is a shadow of what it used to be at launch (at least without HoT) but I am talking about relative ease to kill classes including HoT builds. If I see a thief on the enemy team its about 50/50 chance that they will wreck me constantly or won’t be able to touch me. Against warrior I have no chance of killing a HoT condi build, against a non-HoT build … I haven’t seen many recently but they are usually easier to kite and condi spike.

Anyway after playing quite a lot, it is clear to me that Ranger is the weakest, easiest to kill class. I guess it is good in a way, because if it was as strong as a condi warrior/hammer engi etc I would hardly be able to kill anything.

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

More likely its builds require more skill to run well, or they are playing the class wrong. I had a whole 20 matches played on a warrior over 3 years and I can get on one and do well against lower tier players. On my f2p ranger I rek revenants. Doesn’t mean revenant is weak, just most people that are in sapphire don’t play it well.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

More likely its builds require more skill to run well, or they are playing the class wrong. I had a whole 20 matches played on a warrior over 3 years and I can get on one and do well against lower tier players. On my f2p ranger I rek revenants. Doesn’t mean revenant is weak, just most people that are in sapphire don’t play it well.

I don’t really notice any difference between the tiers- rangers are almost always easy kills and condi warriors etc are very strong. It might be different at legendary rank, but I expect the rangers would still be the easier match up.

in PvP

Posted by: R O C.6574

R O C.6574

I don’t have HoT, but I mainly play burn guard, trap condi ranger, and thief-either condi or burst. Are they hard to beat on other classes?

i play a trap condi druid. it seems to work very well.

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

I don’t really notice any difference between the tiers- rangers are almost always easy kills and condi warriors etc are very strong. It might be different at legendary rank, but I expect the rangers would still be the easier match up.

Good point! I agree! ANet should do the following:

1. Restore Seeds ability to remove 2 conditions (so ranger doesn’t melt to condi spam)
2. Increase Search and Rescue to 900 units (so it is not worthless trash)
3. Increase Bristleback and Smokescale damage by 10%
4. Increase/Restore Sword auto attack speed, or boost damage by 25%

Thanks for pointing out how weak the Ranger class is at the moment. Much appreciated

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

*Condi warrior is kinda druid counter, probably the only pure counter. This is OK.

*Rnger/ druid could use more direvisty in builds, but this problem is common for all professions.

*Dont buff pets which are already supiriour to all other pets. ristleback and Smokescale is more than Ok. If anything, ristleback survivability should be reduced to the level of a bird/tiger.

We can talk alot about the twiking and balancing of the ranger/druid, but in the scope of the current pvp meta, rangers(druids) are Ok.

(edited by LughLongArm.5460)

in PvP

Posted by: Ilias.8647

Ilias.8647

Most power Heralds (I haven’t ever seen someone who unlocked the elite spec and doesn’t use it) are extremely weak against anything that uses condis.

Revenant overall is junk if it doesn’t use Elite specialization. With elite spec it becomes better than core profs but no where as close as other profs w/ Elite Spec

Currently residing on … Gandara[EU]

in PvP

Lettuce.2945

So why are you avoiding my challenge? 1 v 1 my ranger. You’ll change your tune after fighting a good ranger.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I’ll sum up the op in this thread…

“I can kill bad rangers”
“I can’t kill good rangers”

• Well duh…

“Ranger’s are worse class in pvp”

• They’re most definitely not!

Lastly…

“I will dodge every duel request here because yall are probably good rangers”

• /thread
aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Ranger is a great class between its long ranged damage and healing capacity. It has lots of tools, CA form, a six second invulnerability, decent DPS pets between bristleback and smokeskelk, stealth and superspeed disengage from CA form, and combined with knowledge of the map’s environment is a great class.

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

I’ll sum up the op in this thread…

“I can kill bad rangers”

• Well duh…

“Ranger’s are worse class in pvp”

• They’re most definitely not!

Lastly…

“I will dodge every duel request here because yall are probably good rangers”

• /thread

+1 This made me laugh out loud.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Yasha.5963

“I can kill bad rangers”

No that is not what I am saying, I guess your reading comprehension is kind of weak but I’ll try explain again:

I can kill nearly every ranger I have played against this season and do it with relative ease. Compared to that, every other class (assuming HoT builds) is either challenging (eg Reaper/DH/Thief), or impossible (eg condi warrior, engi, ele).

As far as I can see ranger is by far the weakest class- almost laughably so.

Now I thought perhaps it was just that I was playing a direct counter build- but another poster says druids are strong vs conditions, so its not that. Nor do I believe that somehow almost every ranger I play against is a noob and every condi warrior is a pro. I think many of the rangers I have played against play well- they just have a weak sauce class that is really easy to pin down and burst.

(edited by Yasha.5963)

in PvP

Posted by: Euthymias.7984

Euthymias.7984

It really depends on the matchup/builds. Rangers aren’t top 5 like Chrono/Reap/Scrap/Ele/War, but they can hold their own. However, there’s little to do against getting focused/bombed -after- one jump into avatar state, especially when one of their stronger heals and their only damaging skills require them to get into close quarters over peppering targets at range.

If you’re able to pressure one into going into CA before Condi-bombing/CCing, you’re most likely going to down them quickly or deal enough damage to force a disengage.

in PvP

Posted by: Celine.6857

Celine.6857

Reapers/Necros are targeted first because they’re strong. If you let a Reaper build up his/her lifeforce, it’s going get difficult against conditions and cc. They are strong at rezzing too.

Like ele, I get focussed a lot on good teams because I can keep my team alive and hold points. I know I am against a good team if I need to heal myself.

Samantha
Guild: Creators of Destiny Awakening [CDA] Disabled GW2 gamer; love all aspects of GW2!
Champion: Magus, Illusionist, Phantom and Shadow

in PvP

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

I wouldn’t say Ranger is the weakest.
It’s currently around middle ground. I’d opt there’s quite a few that are in worse spots than Ranger at the moment. Even tempted to say most Guard’s are worse off than Ranger’s at the moment.
(Keep in mind, YOU might be good at Guard, but doesn’t mean most are.)

Personally, I don’t groan when I see a Ranger on my team. They got quite a few things on hand to aid in a good team setup.

Duty is heavier than death.

in PvP

Posted by: Salamander.2504

Salamander.2504

“I can kill bad rangers”

No that is not what I am saying, I guess your reading comprehension is kind of weak but I’ll try explain again:

I can kill nearly every ranger I have played against this season and do it with relative ease. Compared to that, every other class (assuming HoT builds) is either challenging (eg Reaper/DH/Thief), or impossible (eg condi warrior, engi, ele).

Now I thought perhaps it was just that I was playing a direct counter build- but another poster says druids are strong vs conditions, so its not that. Nor do I believe that somehow almost every ranger I play against is a noob and every condi warrior is a pro. I think many of the rangers I have played against play well- they just have a weak sauce class that is really easy to pin down and burst.

Ranger has always been a class like that, where there is no middle ground: they are either terrible or they are great. Just like a thief. But the class itself is fine (minus the poorly designed core pets) and absolutely competitive. You might be really good at killing rangers because you main one.

(edited by Salamander.2504)

in PvP

Yasha.5963

“I can kill bad rangers”

Ranger has always been a class like that, where there is no middle ground: they are either terrible or they are great. Just like a thief. But the class itself is fine (minus the poorly designed core pets) and absolutely competitive. You might be really good at killing rangers because you main one.

After reading everyone’s comments I was actually thinking exactly what you wrote. Like you say maybe its like thief was before HoT – you either get it or you’re a liability (not sure if that’s still the case for thief post HoT).

I just never felt like a “ranger slayer” before, so it is weird feeling like rangers are so soft.

in PvP

Lettuce.2945

“I can kill bad rangers”

After reading everyone’s comments I was actually thinking exactly what you wrote. Like you say maybe its like thief was before HoT – you either get it or you’re a liability (not sure if that’s still the case for thief post HoT).

I just never felt like a “ranger slayer” before, so it is weird feeling like rangers are so soft.

Third time now. 1 v 1 my ranger or you’re a confirmed forum troll. You keep dodging everyone’s 1v1 challenge. You make such idiotic claims and don’t back it up. You’re most likely a forum keyboard warrior at this point.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

“I can kill bad rangers”

No that is not what I am saying, I guess your reading comprehension is kind of weak

How expected of you to use the go-to forum insult but your right I misread, you play incredibly unviable Core builds and suddenly realized core Rangers are bad as if it was an untold secret. Of course we all agree with you… everyone knew the week HoT was released. No need to alert the media.

No wonder you’re dodging every duel request in this thread.. you can’t beat a single Druid or Elite class because you don’t have HoT.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Yasha.5963

“I can kill bad rangers”

Third time now. 1 v 1 my ranger or you’re a confirmed forum troll. You keep dodging everyone’s 1v1 challenge. You make such idiotic claims and don’t back it up. You’re most likely a forum keyboard warrior at this point.

My point is that I have been easily smashing most rangers in the current season, and all other classes seem much stronger. Winning or losing in a 1vs1 duel won’t prove/disprove my point, since it has nothing to do with what I am saying and it doesn’t show the relative strength/weakness compared to other classes.

I am not sure what “idiotic claims” I have made, I have just told you my experience of the last couple of months. If you have difficulty beating rangers, well I am surprised because they seem to mainly be really weak, but perhaps you are just really bad at the game. However, I will “back up” what I am trying to say by showing you what I see in my play experience through a video montage. Maybe some of the less abusive posters can give some feedback on it.

in PvP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It’s most likely because it’s soo good. Druid is not only good, it’s rather easy to play. As an effect, there’s lot of people playing it that have no real idea how to do it. The same’s with necro. With some other classes on the other hand it’s much harder to find real newbies for them. Most Mesmers i have seen, for example, are at least competent – but it’s not a class you see that often in the lower divisions. It’s like with Warriors in the second half of s2. Almost noone ran them, due to the nerfs, but if i saw one, i could safely bet on them being really good at their class, while at the same time half of the Necros were …not that good (with a significantly high percentage being outright horrible).

But that aside, in general, a decent druid player not only has sustain to live through most 1v1s, and damage to win a number of those, but also has a mobility that lets him pick fights relatively easily. It’s not the best in any of those categories, but it makes druid a well-rounded class that’s always good to have around. They aren’t good when focused upon, but then most other classes don’t do that well in such situation either.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

in PvP

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

It’s most likely because it’s soo good. Druid is not only good, it’s rather easy to play. As an effect, there’s lot of people playing it that have no real idea how to do it. The same’s with necro. With some other classes on the other hand it’s much harder to find real newbies for them. Most Mesmers i have seen, for example, are at least competent – but it’s not a class you see that often in the lower divisions. It’s like with Warriors in the second half of s2. Almost noone ran them, due to the nerfs, but if i saw one, i could safely bet on them being really good at their class, while at the same time half of the Necros were …not that good (with a significantly high percentage being outright horrible).

But that aside, in general, a decent druid player not only has sustain to live through most 1v1s, and damage to win a number of those, but also has a mobility that lets him pick fights relatively easily. It’s not the best in any of those categories, but it makes druid a well-rounded class that’s always good to have around. They aren’t good when focused upon, but then most other classes don’t do that well in such situation either.

You base the observation that you saw a lot of bad people on Ranger and Necro on your assume that those 2 professions are easy to play. I saw a lot of bad condi mesmers last season, and I saw a lot of bad warriors this season. It isn’t really profession-related, it is meta-related.

in PvP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You base the observation that you saw a lot of bad people on Ranger and Necro on your assume that those 2 professions are easy to play. I saw a lot of bad condi mesmers last season, and I saw a lot of bad warriors this season. It isn’t really profession-related, it is meta-related.

You do have a point. Meta is of course important, people will want to play on a class that’s being considered good (preferably OP) this season. Still, some builds are considered to have higher skill floor than others. Those will generally be less popular among less experienced players, even if they are considered as good, or even better than those that are perceived to be soo easy that you can just click buttons at random and still win (even when in reality that turns out to be a huge exagerration).

Also, what you are going to see depends a lot on what division you play in. Amber and ruby, for one, will be full of people playing badly every possible class (amber due to having a lot of people that do not read any guides at all, and are completely new to pvp, both due to the class profession win achievements)

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in PvP

Lettuce.2945

“I can kill bad rangers”

My point is that I have been easily smashing most rangers in the current season, and all other classes seem much stronger. Winning or losing in a 1vs1 duel won’t prove/disprove my point, since it has nothing to do with what I am saying and it doesn’t show the relative strength/weakness compared to other classes.

I am not sure what “idiotic claims” I have made, I have just told you my experience of the last couple of months. If you have difficulty beating rangers, well I am surprised because they seem to mainly be really weak, but perhaps you are just really bad at the game. However, I will “back up” what I am trying to say by showing you what I see in my play experience through a video montage. Maybe some of the less abusive posters can give some feedback on it.

Don’t bother. I’ve confirmed you’re a forum troll. All bark, no bite. From your post I can easily deduce you’re well below average mechanically and you posting the video will only confirm my thoughts. Save yourself the embarrassment and don’t bother posting. And yes, idiotic claims. You aren’t willing to back it up with anyone on this thread. Go kill below average players and feel good about yourself. Pm me in game if you change your mind, otherwise I’m done talking to you.