Rangers being OP against thiefs

in PvP

Posted by: Castanic.1504

Castanic.1504

Well Lately I’ve been getting destroyed by Rangers mostly in SPvP. Every time I go stealthed rangers just keep on attacking me like nothing. I know channeled skills will continue to hit me but ill go stealth, he’ll stop attacking, then he’ll just keep mauling me with any skill he so pleases as long as its not his auto. It’s really annoying and quite devastating when i go stealth maybe just to keep the heat off me and then get knocked back while he continues to lay into me. Please no hate on thiefs i know alot of people seem to think there OP but there are plenty ways to counter us in stealth like greatswords and usually we can take less hits than scholars so i dont think its necessary for Rangers to be able to continuesly attack me without any difference. It completely negates one of the whole purposes and centerpoints of the thief.

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

Ranger’s have no special ability to do so.
Either you were in group with the guy so it did that bug were he could see you even in stealth, or you just were kittening up your invisibilities.

At best trap rangers can throw stuff on the ground and if you walk in it while in stealth you take some condi dmg… but that is quite literally the best of it.

(edited by garethh.3518)

in PvP

Posted by: Psikerlord.2569

Psikerlord.2569

Daggerstorm. Also works a treat vs warrior rifle or anyone you want to cripple from 900. Enjoy

in PvP

Posted by: Kerishan.8460

Kerishan.8460

They should fix channeled skill stop channel if target go in stealth.

in PvP

garethh.3518

Why? so stealth is a counter to even more things?
It doesn’t have to be an end all be all to incoming dmg…

in PvP

Posted by: Rottaran Owain.6789

Rottaran Owain.6789

Daggerstorm. Also works a treat vs warrior rifle or anyone you want to cripple from 900. Enjoy

Rangers have melee weapons, and usually are carrying traps that’ll destroy a thief who does this.

1v1 daggerstorm is horrible, unless your enemy has no access to non-projectile attacks.

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

Thank you man you made my day..
Well no,Rangers are no OP against any proffesion,actually the opposite.
Right now Rangers are the most weak class in PvP and its a fact stated by JPeters himself

in PvP

Posted by: Schnitter.9857

Schnitter.9857

May be the first time i saw someone saying this.
I like to play Rangers to have some fun. Unfortunately, only condition spec have some effective. I think your problem agaisnt Rangers is that you are probably rolling a total DPS spec without survival resources. With my Ranger for example i can easily stack 15+ Bleeding at enemies, without traps (not good at all, but very interesting when enemies dont have sources to avoid conditions, etc). So, if you dont have any way to remove conditions, you certainly will be dead in a few seconds. I recommend you to take Pain Response Trait. If your build allow you to stealth constantly, you can try Shadow’s Embrace and see if it is useful or not for you in these fights.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Try not to run a glass thief and use dagger storm and dodges….maybe….

in PvP

Posted by: go to sleep.6187

go to sleep.6187

Right now Rangers are the most weak class in PvP and its a fact stated by JPeters himself

JPeters clearly isn’t a highly skilled tpvp player. rangers are op in spvp, useless pieces of kitten in tpvp.

in PvP

Posted by: Marduh.4603

Marduh.4603

Why? so stealth is a counter to even more things?
It doesn’t have to be an end all be all to incoming dmg…

Because the target needs to start casting.
Pet/Spirit weapon/channel skill(autofacing) breaks stealth mechanics

in PvP

Posted by: Sebyos.4089

Sebyos.4089

Trap/Condition Rangers are crazy good against melees in general they can stack a hell of a lot of bleed while keeping you CCed.

And this game is so kitten condition removal is almost useless against good condition builds since they reapply faster than you can remove and then when you’r cooldowns are all poped and they still put bleeds on you with lame auto attacks, you’r screwed.

I mean who thought it was balanced to put condition removal on 15-60 seconds CDs and Bleeds on fast auto-attacks ? kittening braindead devs of course.

80 Norn Necromancer Max : JC, WS, TL, AT.
100% World completion.

in PvP

Posted by: Hadrians.4567

Hadrians.4567

Rangers = Op?

Do we still play the same Game?

If u lose vs a Ranger u didnt make it right, Ranger and Op….. are u trolling us all?

But hey for me it sounds very cool, this is the first Time since Beta ive read that Rangers are op….

in PvP

Schnitter.9857

Trap/Condition Rangers are crazy good against melees in general they can stack a hell of a lot of bleed while keeping you CCed.

And this game is so kitten condition removal is almost useless against good condition builds since they reapply faster than you can remove and then when you’r cooldowns are all poped and they still put bleeds on you with lame auto attacks, you’r screwed.

I mean who thought it was balanced to put condition removal on 15-60 seconds CDs and Bleeds on fast auto-attacks ? kittening braindead devs of course.

Only advsing you, probably all the professions have at least a Trait for Condition Removal, besides Condition Removal Skills and Combo Fields.
Elementalist for example can remove conditions with an awesome frequency.
Obviously some professions will have more manners to deal with condition than others.

in PvP

Posted by: Rukh.1562

Rukh.1562

ranger has the less survivability than all of the proffessions
thief has the highest damage

and you think rangers are OP against thieves?

in PvP

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

Players that complain about condition removals not being effective plain do not know how to properly utilize them. Obviously some classes are better off than others but this is a L2P issue.

I’ve only ever played a ranger in BWE3 and disliked them as they’re anything but similar to the GW1 ranger. That being said, I can’t fanthom that a thief is complaining about a ranger.. rangers are by far one of if not the weakest link right now when it comes to class balance. They were promised a decent overhaul last patch and got nowhere.

Rangers right now are reduced to traps and quickness bleed stacking, they don’t have anything better.

in PvP

Posted by: Marduh.4603

Marduh.4603

oh you
-You and your pet gain 2 seconds of protection when you dodge roll.
-Increases endurance regeneration by 50%.
-Applies camouflage when you are dazed, knocked down, launched, pushed back, or stunned. This effect cannot trigger more than once every 30 seconds.
and much more

in PvP

Posted by: Sebyos.4089

Sebyos.4089

Only advsing you, probably all the professions have at least a Trait for Condition Removal, besides Condition Removal Skills and Combo Fields.
Obviously some professions will have more manners to deal with condition than others.

Here’s the problem : some classes auto attack and reapply bleeds really fast, but here’s what you have to do to remove then conditions.

- Take precious time to cast skills which means not attacking while being shot with auto attacks that will reapply the bleeds right as your cast ends anyway
- Landing the condition transfers while not being able to constitantely dodge the auto attacks that reapply conditions
- Suffer when you are out of skills because of the lengthy cooldowns while the attack simply has to auto attack without cooldown problems
- Use traits the remove conditions with lengthy cooldowns while traits for Bleed duration are of course permanent.

All of this goes pretty much the same way the post of Eatthisshoes did 2-3 days ago. Basically, it’s way too easy to do offense in this game comparing to defense on which the burden is put.

80 Norn Necromancer Max : JC, WS, TL, AT.
100% World completion.

in PvP

Schnitter.9857

Here’s the problem : some classes auto attack and reapply bleeds really fast, but here’s what you have to do to remove then conditions.

- Take precious time to cast skills which means not attacking while being shot with auto attacks that will reapply the bleeds right as your cast ends anyway
- Landing the condition transfers while not being able to constitantely dodge the auto attacks that reapply conditions
- Suffer when you are out of skills because of the lengthy cooldowns while the attack simply has to auto attack without cooldown problems
- Use traits the remove conditions with lengthy cooldowns while traits for Bleed duration are of course permanent.

All of this goes pretty much the same way the post of Eatthisshoes did 2-3 days ago. Basically, it’s way too easy to do offense in this game comparing to defense on which the burden is put.

The problem is that Condition Removal is not for being used to remove Auto attack conditions. You hardly will see someone stacking 10 bleeding using just auto attack. The same way that condition spec have auto attack conditions, burst spec have a reasonable damage in auto attack, and both work by the same way: Use the auto attack to pressure your enemy, then use your real combo.

in PvP

Posted by: Teabaker.9524

Teabaker.9524

.. That’s why most strong condition-removals are for the group. Drop them successive and you have like 20 seconds of condition removal.

in PvP

garethh.3518

That is the most shallow (and so misleading) way of looking at combat I’ve seen in ages.
Ranger’s get their survivability from dodging/kiting and a typically powerful heal skill.
Short of the basilisk venom -> mug spike, rangers are golden against thieves, especially since that dancing dagger nerf.

in PvP

garethh.3518

Auto attack bleeds aren’t great.
They tend to be mediocre bleeds tagged on to a half direct dmg attack.
They don’t net much more dmg than straight power auto attacks do.
Then you are leaving half or more of your dmg as preventable, so your spike is entirely prevantable even after it lands.
That and just because someone has a bleed on them doesn’t mean they have to be cleansed…

Take shortbow.
It has a 3s bleed tagged on to a 300~ dmg auto attack.
If you land it and the bleed that’s 600 dmg a hit.
If you have no condition dmg and do that same spammable…
It hits for 450~ dmg a hit.
If you put those lost points in condition dmg into power or crit instead…
Your back up to around 600 dmg a spammable…

Your spammable attacks don’t apply enough condition dmg to force people to cleanse it or lose….
On the contrary its actually rather mediocre condition dmg and only bonus condition duration, QZ, pets, traps, geomancy sigils and axe or dagger offhand make up for it.

(edited by garethh.3518)

in PvP

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

If he’s hitting you so accurately, he’s probably just following the bleed ticks.

oh you
-You and your pet gain 2 seconds of protection when you dodge roll.
-Increases endurance regeneration by 50%.
-Applies camouflage when you are dazed, knocked down, launched, pushed back, or stunned. This effect cannot trigger more than once every 30 seconds.
and much more

Even if the ranger is camouflaged, isn’t he still in the same place if he’s stunned? So he’d still need a stun breaker.

in PvP

Posted by: barti.7685

barti.7685

what probably happened here is that the ranger used his knockback after the thiefs intial 20k burst and somehow stopped it it could be by sheer skill or just a panic reaction to be able to hit the invisible man

now this so flabbergasted the thief that he stood still for 15 seconds checking or his mouse was still connected.. meanwhile the ranger kept dpsing him for 10 seconds and thus the thief died.

in PvP

Posted by: Joric.5376

Joric.5376

You hardly will see someone stacking 10 bleeding using just auto attack.

actually I had to laugh at that…

Just continue playing… eventually you will run into these enemies, just wait and see!

in PvP

Schnitter.9857

You hardly will see someone stacking 10 bleeding using just auto attack.

actually I had to laugh at that…

Just continue playing… eventually you will run into these enemies, just wait and see!

If you could show me someone that inflicts 10 bleeding stacks only with autoattack, ill be really surprised and apologize to say something that is incorrect.

in PvP

Psikerlord.2569

Rangers have melee weapons, and usually are carrying traps that’ll destroy a thief who does this.

1v1 daggerstorm is horrible, unless your enemy has no access to non-projectile attacks.

If/when the ranger switches to melee, stay at 900 with your daggerstorm, or cancel DS and switch to your ranged and ping ping ping, then commence burst, etc… many options. But main point is the daggerstorm eilte forces the ranger into melee, or at least sits him there eating free damage… after which … commence burst. win.
Re traps – agree – stay out of them. kill ranger first. then cap point.

in PvP

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

what probably happened here is that the ranger used his knockback after the thiefs intial 20k burst and somehow stopped it it could be by sheer skill or just a panic reaction to be able to hit the invisible man

now this so flabbergasted the thief that he stood still for 15 seconds checking or his mouse was still connected.. meanwhile the ranger kept dpsing him for 10 seconds and thus the thief died.

Hahaha! I don’t understand this thread, the stealth mechanic has one of the lowest skill thresholds in the game to use properly. Somehow OP manages to kitten it up, and wants other classes to be nerfed for it.

in PvP

Posted by: Rottaran Owain.6789

Rottaran Owain.6789

If/when the ranger switches to melee, stay at 900 with your daggerstorm, or cancel DS and switch to your ranged and ping ping ping, then commence burst, etc… many options. But main point is the daggerstorm eilte forces the ranger into melee, or at least sits him there eating free damage… after which … commence burst. win.
Re traps – agree – stay out of them. kill ranger first. then cap point.

Note the lack of any real situation given here. Thief switches to an undefined ranged weapon, keep 900 range on the ranger through undefined means, and commences a burst through undefined ways, and the ranger’s methods of self-defense are undefined.

Did you know that a ranger has one of the best gap closers on the greatsword?
Or can hold a melee weapon, and still have ranged options in one weapon set?

The ranger is underpowered in general, but you act as if he’s completely helpless, and just stands around whilst people kill him.

in PvP

Psikerlord.2569

Specifics: ranged – shortbow is my preference, SB1,2,3 are all good. Burst: steal haste PW is what i use. I save my steal, i dont open with it. I find rangers are quite controllable… Healing eles or guards with continual pets on the other hand I find very difficult indeed!!

(edited by Psikerlord.2569)

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

I play a ranger and the only time I have been able to hit a thief in stealth is to use AoEs, the poison spreadshot or to follow the tics from my bleeding.

Our SB auto attacks only bleed if we hit from your side or behind you. So just face us. Problem solved.

in PvP

Posted by: Aegis Fang.5394

Aegis Fang.5394

lol true words Dard. I literally laughed when I read the title thinking it was sarcasm and now laughing harder because it isnt.

Thieves shouldnt complain about anything. Not one single thing. Just hang your heads in shame that you play a class that op’d and easy to master.

And to complain about rangers, thats just….. wow… just……………….wow.

in PvP

Posted by: Jericho.4521

Jericho.4521

Thieves complaining about Rangers being OP “against them.” Oh boy, now I’ve seen it all.

in PvP

Posted by: Geewoody.2017

Geewoody.2017

Daggerstorm is embarrassingly bad, even with Haste at point blank. And pretty sure any class can auto-attack a rifle warrior to death.

in PvP

Posted by: BlueprintLFE.2358

BlueprintLFE.2358

Daggerstorm is embarrassingly bad, even with Haste at point blank. And pretty sure any class can auto-attack a rifle warrior to death.

Lol rifle warriors are amazing and if you think they are worthless I feel sorry for you. You just have to have a competent weapon to swap to. Rifle, axe and shield is a great combo.

Kill shot plus fear me equals a guaranteed at least half of the enemies life, plus volley, swap to axe and shield, shield bash and eviscerate game over.

USMC 1st Battalion 10th Marines
Guardian-Blueprinted, Warrior- Grizzilli
[JCM] Guild: Ehmry Bay WvW

(edited by BlueprintLFE.2358)