Rank 38 NA, Solo Queue Only Burn Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Caine.8204

Caine.8204

Hello everyone!

I had a few posts before about the viability of burn guardian in ranked play. I am back again to post my results with this reason!

I am currently sitting at 1687 SR, and rank 38 after 77 wins and 49 losses.

Burn guardian is super viable, and one of the only professions that can COMPLETELY deny a rez, 95% of the time. In fact, if the enemy tries to rez, you can usually wipe the entire team!

I put some examples below:

http://imgur.com/a/cTeUn

Currently, your biggest counter is going to be Thief. Thief will always kill you in a 1v1 unless they are absolutely terrible, which doesn’t generally happen in plat. But other than that – very good at 1v1, absolutely a beast in team fights.
Of course, not exactly a tournament build. Naru’s Bunker/Condi Removal/Perma Quickness team will make sure that you can’t deal damage (especially when they character swap when they see you! lol)

(edited by Caine.8204)

in PvP

Posted by: Thoth Divine.8642

Thoth Divine.8642

Condition is so kittening cancer it’s beyond ridiculous. I literally build my characters around condi denial and yet in some games when 5/5 enemy players are condi it’s still not enough. So dumb.

Blessed Curse – Symbolic DH
Thoth Divine – Power Necro
I Hope You Die – Burst Berserker

in PvP

Caine.8204

Condition is so kittening cancer it’s beyond ridiculous. I literally build my characters around condi denial and yet in some games when 5/5 enemy players are condi it’s still not enough. So dumb.

The reason it works so well is that unless you’re going against an organized team, the condi will find a way to work past your defenses eventually.

Unless you super focus the condi targets (necro, burn dh, condi thief) you drop pretty quickly.

Actually my last two games were 500 – 185, 501 – 95. I’ve won the last 5 games and i’m now sitting at rank 30, 1701. Plat 3 solo queue only baby!

in PvP

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

are you using vanilla or DH ?

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I am surprised tbh, it is not hard to deal with burn guard. You let them stack burn and cleanse it. They don’t have many CDs left while you used 1. I really wish sigil of generosity wasn’t removed – it made fighting burn guards so funny since they can’t deal so well with their own 15+ stacks of burn.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: NotoriousNaru.1705

NotoriousNaru.1705

You literally got it in reverse, we were all on our mains, and when we saw a random pug team we all swapped to alt classes/meme builds. Hence the bunker guardian. Bunker guard isn’t actually good at anything, I just use it to meme.

in PvP

Posted by: Whitworth.7259

Whitworth.7259

You literally got it in reverse, we were all on our mains, and when we saw a random pug team we all swapped to alt classes/meme builds. Hence the bunker guardian. Bunker guard isn’t actually good at anything, I just use it to meme.

Savage

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Conditions aren’t cancer. I would know, I have it in my head and neck. I play Shoutbow Druid. I have limited condi removal, but by properly timing my cleanses I manage against condi classes just fine. Only time a burn guard has manage to beat me is if they catch me with my defenses on cooldown, but any class can do that.

In organized teams, conditions are even less effective due to aoe cleanses with coordinated groups. If you’re getting focused down by multiple people and are complaining that your cleanses can’t keep up, how is that any different than being focused down by power builds and not having enough defenses to mitigate all that?

I think the biggest issue is people just don’t understand what is going on and it is always easier to complain than to learn.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Posted by: Tomiyou.3790

Tomiyou.3790

I’ve played around with Burn guard before. What traits and weapons you using, since there are so many possibilities? Even when chosing the ammy you have like 4 options. Really wanna see what works in Plat.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

In other words you use it to throw if you happen to lose. Only reason you swap to bunker (shout?) guard is if you legitimately thought it would counter that spec. Guess it worked out if OP found it problematic enough to talk about it.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

With the unbalanced matches currently in PvP, virtually any build could be successful if the player was lucky enough to be picked for the win side.

That being the case, I’m not much impressed.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

With the unbalanced matches currently in PvP, virtually any build could be successful if the player was lucky enough to be picked for the win side.

That being the case, I’m not much impressed.

I am so sorry that Anet hates you so much and always puts you on the losing team. Honestly can’t figure out why you would bother playing a game that treats you like this.

Me on the other hand, I’m hanging around in plat 2, think I’m going to shoot for a personal goal of plat 3 this season. There seems to be less competition so far though, so maybe I can hit legend? Nah, probably not.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Posted by: NotoriousNaru.1705

NotoriousNaru.1705

In other words you use it to throw if you happen to lose. Only reason you swap to bunker (shout?) guard is if you legitimately thought it would counter that spec. Guess it worked out if OP found it problematic enough to talk about it.

Reread what you just said and hopefully you’ll realize how it makes 0 sense. I got on bunker because there is no way my AT team was going to lose to a bunch of randoms, so we’d rather have fun playing stupid builds(the burn build hes so proud of falls into that category btw) than meta specs. The game hes talking about ended 500-0 basically, and the result would have been the same regardless of what me or the people I was playing with were running. Your comment is actually stupid.

Meta builds are meta for a reason, and theres a reason why burn isn’t meta. Like how can anyone think of burn guardian as anything more of a meme, I could find more success playing 5 shout bunker guardian than he would playing burn guard. OP literally said it cant 1v1 thief, the one class that isn’t even meant to take 1v1s because it doesnt excell in it. One day the pvp community will understand the difference between a meta spec and a pugstomper spec. Pugstomper specs find great success killing BAD players who just eat your damage, but once you reach a level where everyone is actually running meta and is not braindead, you will keep losing till you drop rank to wherever you belong with the meme build that you think is so good.

in PvP

Posted by: kelstrong.7951

kelstrong.7951

With the build you have Caine do you have speed to move from point to point

in PvP

Caine.8204

are you using vanilla or DH ?

DH

With the build you have Caine do you have speed to move from point to point

I mean, I can travel with sword/leap from virtue pretty fine. Just gotta pay attention to map.

If i’m a little slow, i make up for that by the damage i bring when i arrive.

Carrion / Balthazar
Sword/Shield + Scepter Torch
Valor, Virtue, DH
DH 2 – 2 – 3
Virtue 3 – 2 – 1
Valor – 2 1 2
Litany heal, smite cond, purge flames, contemplation, renewed focus

(edited by Caine.8204)

in PvP

Posted by: kelstrong.7951

kelstrong.7951

Very cool interesting

in PvP

Caine.8204

Reread what you just said and hopefully you’ll realize how it makes 0 sense. I got on bunker because there is no way my AT team was going to lose to a bunch of randoms, so we’d rather have fun playing stupid builds(the burn build hes so proud of falls into that category btw) than meta specs. The game hes talking about ended 500-0 basically, and the result would have been the same regardless of what me or the people I was playing with were running. Your comment is actually stupid.

Meta builds are meta for a reason, and theres a reason why burn isn’t meta. Like how can anyone think of burn guardian as anything more of a meme, I could find more success playing 5 shout bunker guardian than he would playing burn guard. OP literally said it cant 1v1 thief, the one class that isn’t even meant to take 1v1s because it doesnt excell in it. One day the pvp community will understand the difference between a meta spec and a pugstomper spec. Pugstomper specs find great success killing BAD players who just eat your damage, but once you reach a level where everyone is actually running meta and is not braindead, you will keep losing till you drop rank to wherever you belong with the meme build that you think is so good.

You can say it’s “not meta”, but you run a complete condi-removal, boon bunker, quickness stacking comp. It was clear it was a planned comp, not just a “kitten around” comp.

I was also in a game with you in Ranked, where you were in your duo with Nos where we lost 495 – 500. It seemed to work pretty well in a game where the odds were more fair (5 pugs vs 5 people in Discord? of course we lost)

With a coordinated team, a burn guardian would do absolutely great. It doesn’t work so great when a coordinated 5 man team builds their team to counter you.

If a solo queue is added, this will be THE build. The only reason it isn’t “meta” is because people like you duo queue and swap characters to counter anyone you have a problem with.

Yeah it was literally a 5 man comp of condition removal. It was clear what the intention was when two of them changed characters.

They were stacking bunker/heal and condi removal.

I don’t know Naru. You talk awfully tough for someone who never queues alone. I’d like to see you try to solo queue a season and see where you end up in the ranking when you’re not in a team with chat…

(edited by Caine.8204)

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Didn’t know you were running bunker all through the AT tourney among 5man comps. Thought this was in Rank queue or something..

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: WilnerGW.3275

WilnerGW.3275

build link pls?

in PvP

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

build link pls?

Scroll up

in PvP

Posted by: steelheart.7386

steelheart.7386

There is a long way to go in this season. Anything is possible over 100-150 games. Not trying to be a downer i’ve played Burn Guardian plenty it can work but its as weak as its been in awhile (a lot of self condi cover has been removed) and Im dubious about how good it at higher levels. That being said the player base is as small and skill less as its ever been so lots of things can work probably if your skilled enough.