Rank does or does not equal skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

Funny how people say rank does not equal skill, they feel very strongly about this…

Then you see them complaining they got paired with <insert lower ranked> tier and it lost them the game.

Ahem.

in PvP

Posted by: lloydst.6985

lloydst.6985

When people complain about rank doesnt = skill they are right any player can if they are dedicated enough reach at least ruby within ruby there are people who are skilled but are screwed over as solo queuers get kittened over as they get a higher mmr or matched up vs premades so rank doesnt = skill but it does = dedication

roaming/havoc commander of FTF

in PvP

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

I’m stuck in ruby but I do think rank = skill for the most part. I see a clear increase in skill level from t3 ruby to t5/6 since I have been more or less living between t4-t5 ruby for a week and dip to 3 once in a while and make it to 6 once in a while.
I can more or less hard carry any match t3 or lower and pretty much hold my own at t5-6.
The only problem I have is that at t5-6 ruby I get a lot of diamond/legend + emerald/amber teams . Where is low ranked player is clearly alt account of another skilled player lossing a match 500-200 and loss 2 pips really hurts lol

in PvP

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

It does not. Any other super easy questions like that one? It correlate more with time than skill by a looooong shot. And then there is quite a good deal of luck if you soloq (still luck if you dont but less).

in PvP

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

Funny how people say rank does not equal skill, they feel very strongly about this…

Then you see them complaining they got paired with <insert lower ranked> tier and it lost them the game.

Ahem.

You can “grind” your way to Ruby. Given enough time, eventually you will get the wins needed to get there thanks to the five pip tier lock-in for divisions Amber-Ruby. Beyond Ruby you need a team and strategy or you need a lot of luck and a good solo queue strategy. Skill is a given.

Unfortunately in this system there are so many things muddying the waters it’s impossible to look at someone’s rank (below Legendary) and respect their skill. The system offers too many non-skill related ways to be played.

This is why balance is so very important and why having a limited meta is so very bad. MMR tanking, teleport cheating, etc… These things all stack up and the bottom line is if you want to look at a player who is in Diamond and think “wow she’s amazing” that’s up to you, but most likely their skill was a small part of it. The fact that we know division rank is achievable by using all these non-skill related strategies has destroyed it.

It’s a very, very difficult thing for a game studio to properly deliver ranked PvP that can be respected. ArenaNet has failed to do that and I have no faith they will manage to take it there in the foreseeable future.

The amount of resources needed to do it right would be significant and the PvP side of an three year old MMO isn’t worth it. I don’t believe ArenaNet would see it as worth it and I don’t believe NCSoft would.

The best thing they can do is take the GW2 play mechanics (combat engine) and try splitting out the PvP side of the game into a new stand alone product. There’s a real opportunity to build reimagine PvP conquest with new classes using the existing engine and make something amazing, but it definitely needs to be its own thing.

in PvP

Posted by: Operator.6523

Operator.6523

does not, but people in diamond are mechanically better. though their rotations are still poor.

Even though they’re mechanically better many still seem like keyboard turners.

in PvP

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

blows my mind, still going over so many people’s heads how you are contradicting yourself.

Rank either does equal skill and does matter who your paired with -

or it doesn’t equal skill level and you should be able to be paired with anyone and shouldn’t be blaming any losses on lower ranks when you are paired with them.

in PvP

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

blows my mind, still going over so many people’s heads how you are contradicting yourself.

or it doesn’t equal skill level and you should be able to be paired with anyone and shouldn’t be blaming any losses on lower ranks when you are paired with them.

I never blame ppl of lower rank being pared with me. In fact, often the players of lower ranks have demonstrated better understanding and profession mastery than their “senior” ranking players that jujst grind the kitten of out the game with a prefab build.

If you are an awesome pvp player but only played a little this season, your rank will be relatively low. Same if you started season late. OTOH, the casual guy with ton of time and the morality of a recycled banker that wanted that back pack will eventually reach legendary if he can win more than he loose overall… He will also get better with time and learn the basic etc. A basic and mastery you had looooong before him…

in PvP

Posted by: eyesrutherford.1357

eyesrutherford.1357

I never blame ppl of lower rank being pared with me. In fact, often the players of lower ranks have demonstrated better understanding and profession mastery than their “senior” ranking players that jujst grind the kitten of out the game with a prefab build.

If you are an awesome pvp player but only played a little this season, your rank will be relatively low. Same if you started season late. OTOH, the casual guy with ton of time and the morality of a recycled banker that wanted that back pack will eventually reach legendary if he can win more than he loose overall… He will also get better with time and learn the basic etc. A basic and mastery you had looooong before him…

Agreed with this.

~Zïpples~ ~Honey~ ~Lexisety~
~Tamiyo~ ~Lord Mockingbird~

in PvP

Posted by: eyesrutherford.1357

eyesrutherford.1357

Well most players can easily farm hundreds of matches to get high rank while others don’t really care for leagues. I’m one of those. Only sapphire. I’d prolly have played more if not for the fact that for some reason when leagues started I already had ranked games played. And it had me with a bunch of losses. Which if I had known that the mmr thing woulda benefitted me because of that at the time then I’d prolly have played more. But anyways. You can’t ever trust a players rank and say that that player is better or worse based on how high rank they are. I know for a fact I can beat a lot of higher ranked players yet I know players who haven’t even really done leagues at all who are really really good at pvp.
Basically all the leagues and mmr and what not in this game will always be just a"played" grind.

~Zïpples~ ~Honey~ ~Lexisety~
~Tamiyo~ ~Lord Mockingbird~

in PvP

Posted by: ReaperJr.5967

ReaperJr.5967

Ahem.

OP! You make a great point! Amen to that and all the salty tears flowing from the less skilled!

Lord Ninth \\ Champion Magus
- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

Ahem.

Sometimes those who complain about one of those things don’t complain about the other. I think most of the more recent posts complaining about getting paired with lower ranks have been ridiculous.

Alright meow, where were we?

in PvP

Posted by: SolarDragon.7063

SolarDragon.7063

Rank doesn’t equal skill. I’ll take an amber who listens over a legendary who exploited their way there any day.

in PvP

Posted by: Israel.7056

Israel.7056

The only thing rank reliably indicates is how many pips a player has accumulated. It doesn’t tell us how well they played while accumulating them or whether or not they exploited the system.

in PvP

Posted by: Seyiwaji.4082

Seyiwaji.4082

You got it all wrong.
Gw2 is not even based on skill.
It is based on overpowered build/class or not.