Ranked PvP - D/D Tempest Viable?

in PvP

Posted by: Abracadabra.3296

Abracadabra.3296

Hello folks!

This will sound kinda sad but I’m working on picking up my 3rd class that I can use in PvP in order to, yes, get the achievements. I do very well on my Warrior and Druid but was thinking of picking up an Ele to mess around with as well. Back before I left the game, I played my D/D Ele all the time in PvP and found it to be a nice little class for not only helping the team as a whole, but also decent enough to go 1v1 against most people.

Since coming back, I almost never see a D/D Ele anymore at my current level (ruby). Are they still decent PvP or is the D/F pretty much the way to go these days? Also, I’ve read through the meta site and to be frank, I typically use it as a guide for ideas. I don’t run meta builds most of the time as, let’s face it, they are predictable.

Anyways, below is a build I was playing around with for PvP and was wondering, do you all think this is something that would work or is just not worth the time:

D/D Tempest

“I am become death, the shatter of worlds.”
Roaming Troll Warrior: Melee Conditions
GW2 Roleplayers – JOIN US! GW2 RP

in PvP

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

I’ve played a variant of your build during the sapphire division. The difference was that used Wash the Pain Away, Eye of the Storm or Aftershock, Paladin Amulet and Sigils of Energy and Force. It worked great at that division, even managed to hold points in 1v2 due to arcane traits and a brief 1v3 fight, however I do not think will work at all in ruby.

The problem is the power creep. Since the tempest only got sustain and support traits (hello healbot), a marauder tempest, no matter the weapon, doesn’t have enough DPS to dish out some professions or builds while being very vulnerable themselves.

Condi Berserker, Revenant, Scrapper and good Daredevils can very well counter your build.

At least from my experience, there’s a whole lot of bersekers, revenants, scrappers and tempests at ruby and higher divisions compared to lower ones.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

(edited by azyume.6321)

in PvP

Posted by: Abracadabra.3296

Abracadabra.3296

Ugh… Just played the class in several modifications and it pretty much sucks. So sad because I loved my old D/D ele back in the day. Now she’ll just go where old characters go prior to the xpack – the shelf.

“I am become death, the shatter of worlds.”
Roaming Troll Warrior: Melee Conditions
GW2 Roleplayers – JOIN US! GW2 RP

in PvP

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

It’s really sad how d/d ele has died. I feel like the next set of specializations will make it or break it for this game.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in PvP

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

Simply too many cc and condi for d/d (which rely on close quarter fights)to survive at the moment, there is a reason why most eles are pushed into cleric build. It’s more to do with the power creep rather than the nerf they got/lack of celestial, and they may continue to be like that even when they bring back celestial (which boost several other bunkers as well).

in PvP

Posted by: Mr Godlike.6098

Mr Godlike.6098

There are few problems with dps ele.

1. When you use dps amulet like marauder you find that you can’t do insta burst combo like most classes right now. DPS of tempest is great (that’s way it’s so meta in raids) but it’s to slow build up damage.

2. Power creep – for most other classes it’s easy to hit you 4k and more in mere seconds and have decent follow up. Rev, thief and engi can sustain this by tons of low cooldown dodge samping, invurablities, blocks, shadowsteps, passive heals and god knows what skills and traits. What Ele has you ask? Some long cooldown heals, 1 teleport and stone skin on focus…You can go to team fight with pure dps amulet and you die faster then necro and DH under 3 man pressure. That’s why in most matches as ele you WILL HAVE TO take cleric if you just don’t want to die.

3. I always tend to find that if enemy team discovers that ele don’t have dagger/focus he’s insta bursted by whole team. If they got thief – prepare for insta stomp in team fight from back. Most people in ranked knows ele’s problems with self sustain and will take advantage of that.

There are some possibilities to play more offensive ele but always HoT power creep will drag you down depending of classes against you. Mender and Sage amulet can do damage but always in team fight. Even if you won’t do much damage you will provide some heals for team that can be much more important sometimes. Those amulets give some healing power and vitality that is always better then cleric against pure condi builds. Power builds will have advantage tho and GOOD thief will murder you in seconds. I personally prefer sage amulet over mender for 1k bleeds and 3k burn stacks that are easy to make on D/F auramancer build but I use it only if I have to play with other ele on my team and me or him is lazy to change.

Was depressed ele…now depressed druid
Kawaleria (KW)

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

i also use sage when i see lots of condi classes but focus bursts kill you on a single mistake or bad timing …