in PvP

Posted by: kaplis.7195

kaplis.7195

"Rant of the week - Animations"

in PvP

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

Truth and Justice.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

in PvP

Posted by: nyqwist.2360

nyqwist.2360

Made a post myself before I saw this one, bleh.
All valid points.

in PvP

Posted by: Aeneasx.1589

Aeneasx.1589

He makes an excellent point.

Part of the reason dueling a warrior is fun, is knowing that you can successfully dodge if you pay attention.

backstabd 22222222222222 finish
BSty
Sylvari Rouge

in PvP

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

+5 Insightful.

Interesting series he’s doing, I’ll watch the next one. Still, it’s nothing really new.

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

had good points, but really needs to speak more clearly and slowly

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Part of the reason dueling a warrior is fun, is knowing that you can successfully dodge if you pay attention.

You only have so many dodges against a CC warrior, though. Switch out of that bad 1v1 weapon that is the greatsword and put in a hammer and run axe/mace.

You suddenly have 3 CC’s in a hammer, and another one on the axe/mace that happens to be ranged as well. So you either force them to be CC’d to death or you force them to use dodges on CC and eat the eviscerate.

The most fun duels for me are against DD eles. Every single skill an ele has outside scepter air is telegraphed entirely.

in PvP

Posted by: Benjamin.7893

Benjamin.7893

Fully agree

in PvP

Posted by: PsyOnic.3108

PsyOnic.3108

Excellent rant by Helseth, not much else to say. The problem is that you can’t actually react to enemies properly. Most of the time, dodging is just a lucky guess. Especially against asuras.

(edited by PsyOnic.3108)

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

You only have so many dodges against a CC warrior, though. Switch out of that bad 1v1 weapon that is the greatsword and put in a hammer and run axe/mace.

You suddenly have 3 CC’s in a hammer, and another one on the axe/mace that happens to be ranged as well. So you either force them to be CC’d to death or you force them to use dodges on CC and eat the eviscerate.

The most fun duels for me are against DD eles. Every single skill an ele has outside scepter air is telegraphed entirely.

5 in a row from my count (thief).
Dodge, Dodge, Heal Dodge, Dodge (adventures), Energy (swap to same set) Dodge then the dodge from natural endurance regen will be back soon.

That doesn’t even include weapon abilities or the invisibility.

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in PvP

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

Enemy cast bars are going to be in eventually. I can almost guarantee it. They solve way too many problems.

in PvP

Posted by: Jzaku.9765

Jzaku.9765

I find myself continually amazed by how much I agree with this Helseth person.

in PvP

milo.6942

Enemy cast bars are going to be in eventually. I can almost guarantee it. They solve way too many problems.

last i heard from evan lesh (i think) they were thinking of adding cast bars, but it was very very low priority. that statement really blew my mind and made me think they had very little idea of what pvpers have to deal with.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

They want us to play the game not the UI. I support that but we do need distinct animations in return.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

this thread need to have a red icon. warrior is definitely the better class made by anet.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in PvP

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

this thread need to have a red icon. warrior is definitely the better class made by anet.

Animation wise they might be ^^
Besides that: I find myself agreeing with mr.Helseth. In a game without castbars it’s crucial that very clear visual animations are present.

in PvP

Posted by: Poxxia.1547

Poxxia.1547

Fully agree with Helseth (or “this Helseth person” if you prefer :P )

in PvP

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

Animation wise they might be ^^
Besides that: I find myself agreeing with mr.Helseth. In a game without castbars it’s crucial that very clear visual animations are present.

not just animation wise,k

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in PvP

Posted by: Alkaholic.3875

Alkaholic.3875

Show the same video a human and the weapons and casting are indistinguishable. At worst, have Tourney Organizers mandate humans. A-Net banning Asura would be very bad…

in PvP

Zenith.7301

5 in a row from my count (thief).
Dodge, Dodge, Heal Dodge, Dodge (adventures), Energy (swap to same set) Dodge then the dodge from natural endurance regen will be back soon.

That doesn’t even include weapon abilities or the invisibility.

Oh, thank god every other class is a double s/d thief with OP feline grace and a 15 sec evade heal with 10 sec of vigor proc and teleport utilities.

Too bad he’s still got fear me and endure pain to outlast the initiative dump and his weapon cooldowns are fairly low.

in PvP

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

I agree with basically everything said in this video.
It’s ridiculous how impossible Skullcrack is to see, it could easily be confused with the last animation from the auto-attack chain. And this applies to a lot of skills.
I’m also glad to hear I’m not the only one who thinks warriors are the best balanced class in GW2 in terms of pretty much everything.
Lastly I want to add that signets now display their icon when activated, giving people time to react. So I guess something has been done.

PS: Ban Asuras.

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

(edited by KrisHQ.4719)

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

Ban Asura..
It’s ridiculous that there is one race which gives you such huge advantages…
It’s even more ridiculous how the devs are completely ignoring this problem.
Different animations;
Small small Size;
= Over powered.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

milo.6942

Ban Asura..
Different animations;
Small small Size;
= Over powered.

yes but think of the poor pvers

in PvP

Zenith.7301

Ban Asura..
Different animations;
Small small Size;
= Over powered.

yes but think of the poor pvers

Cast bars. Cast bars. Cast bars.

in PvP

Posted by: hooma.9642

hooma.9642

total ridiculous! why?

the points mentioned was mentioned long time ago
the suggestions made was made long time ago

how long is he playing? and NOW he see something is wrong? he is just a guy who is mad cause he gets banned for PAX tourney and now he starts to rant about something.. the time before it wasnt important it seems.

playing asura is a counteract against his mentioned points, cause he uses all the advanteges.

in PvP

Posted by: sid.9870

sid.9870

why wouldnt he use the advantage when he competes? not doing it is against common sense, even tho he voices it out as a problem.

And yes, this was an issue mentioned long time ago, it has been a problem ever since.
Just make asuras larger in pvp, like they would be under effect of this silly rangers signet that makes people bigger… as simple as that.

Hi Im Sid,
Absolute Nonsense [prrr]

in PvP

hooma.9642

so why mention then things already mentioned if he uses the advantage of the problems? if all ppl jump off a bridge he needs too, to be competive? i dont think soo.

he just a kid who looses his toy and now starts to rant..

the worst part on the story.. now if a “high”/“top” player says something its correct. i remember the time during december when all said actionsbars are for noobs and would lower the skill..

(edited by hooma.9642)

in PvP

Reikou.7068

so why mention then things already mentioned if he uses the advantage of the problems? if all ppl jump off a bridge he needs too, to be competive? i dont think soo.

he just a kid who looses his toy..

Just because he “abuses” this issue does not mean that it is not a problem that needs to be addressed.

He is just using the best available work around at the moment.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko

in PvP

hooma.9642

the story behind that it was mentioned already.. saying things 1000 times doesnt change anything..

i dont say that isnt a problem.. but hearing that from a guy who abuse them and was 6 months silenced and only is mad, cause anet has banned him, doesnt help the problem.. it makes it to a joke

in PvP

Reikou.7068

the story behind that it was mentioned already.. saying things 1000 times doesnt change anything..

i dont say that isnt a problem.. but hearing that from a guy who abuse them and was 6 months silenced and only is mad, cause anet has banned him, doesnt help the problem.. it makes it to a joke

So you are attacking Helseth and not the argument presented.

Alright, well, good luck with that.

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

No need to ban Asura.
Just make an option in the menu to: View enemy players in PvP as Human. That way you can be an ET and everyone who looks at you can tell what the hell is going on.

I have no complaints about the Asura race, I even like a lot of their animations (side steping and dodging for example) but the advantage they gain when hiding their skill animations in their small bodies or hiding their small bodies in their pets is annoying.

I was fighting an Asura with a hammer yesterday. When the fight ended I looked at him and it looked like a small mace. Not as threatening as the large human with a massive candy cane.

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in PvP

Posted by: Geff.1930

Geff.1930

I would have suggested they use unique sound effects for each skill, like in Smite. In Smite the sound says more about what skills people are using and what course of action to take under the circumstances than animations alone.

Ofcourse I quickly realized that this feature would not work in this game because there are just too many skills all on a fairly low cooldown and each skill has a lot less impact than a skill use in Smite. The amount of skill spam would just lead to a cacophony of skill noises. I’d estimate that the devs already explored this option early in development and deemed it unfit.

(edited by Geff.1930)

in PvP

hooma.9642

So you are attacking Helseth and not the argument presented.

Alright, well, good luck with that.

saying the truth is attacking? if u mean… and if he means has some egoproblems.

its how i said. i wouldnt say anything if there wherent the problem with the ban or if he had before said something in that direction. not a single time.. even in the stog he doesnt mentioned the problems that are prob. the source of some "balance"issues. so yeah it all sounds like “mommy took my toy.. now im mad and say daddy what mommey did or not”

in PvP

Zenith.7301

Cast bars. The most pragmatic and least likely to fail solution is cast bars.

in PvP

Posted by: sid.9870

sid.9870

No need to ban Asura.
Just make an option in the menu to: View enemy players in PvP as Human. That way you can be an ET and everyone who looks at you can tell what the hell is going on.

I have no complaints about the Asura race, I even like a lot of their animations (side steping and dodging for example) but the advantage they gain when hiding their skill animations in their small bodies or hiding their small bodies in their pets is annoying.

I was fighting an Asura with a hammer yesterday. When the fight ended I looked at him and it looked like a small mace. Not as threatening as the large human with a massive candy cane.

That. Either make them all human, or enlarge the asuras.

One day I got totaly kitten d by asura guard with candy hammer, simply because I didnt see/recognise his banishes – point neutralised.

Animations are one thing, sounds are the other. I’m really surprised they didn’t take example from Gw1 – many important skills had not only visible animation, but also a specific sound.
No cast bars – ok, but make sure you put recognisable animations (ex. symbol of each mark above necro’s head during the cast) and tone down the effect-clusterkitten so those are actually visible.

Hi Im Sid,
Absolute Nonsense [prrr]

in PvP

Posted by: Elegant Avenger.8042

Elegant Avenger.8042

Completely agree.

And why not have cast bars? It is proven that the best players can watch cast bars and the field at the same time. See GW1 as an example.

in PvP

Posted by: Ferik.3127

Ferik.3127

Completely agree.

And why not have cast bars? It is proven that the best players can watch cast bars and the field at the same time. See GW1 as an example.

Casual player of all races, classes and genders
Champion Slayer | sPvP Rank 90
Dragonbrand

in PvP

Posted by: Conan.8046

Conan.8046

its how i said. i wouldnt say anything if there wherent the problem with the ban or if he had before said something in that direction. not a single time.. even in the stog he doesnt mentioned the problems that are prob. the source of some "balance"issues. so yeah it all sounds like “mommy took my toy.. now im mad and say daddy what mommey did or not”

Ah so disregard everything he says because you dislike him. Lets not be objective and take the points in a logical manner. This just shows your too hung up on hating you can’t even see the points…regardless who makes them.

in PvP

hooma.9642

Ah so disregard everything he says because you dislike him. Lets not be objective and take the points in a logical manner. This just shows your too hung up on hating you can’t even see the points…regardless who makes them.

i dont dislike him.. i just believe he doesnt help change anything with his past.. its like bill clinton is talking about monogamy.. truth but not believable out of that mouth with that actions.

the same goes for the ppl who say its clearly the best to implement castbars. that the complete opposite of the last discussion during december/january who nearly all was against that suggestion. so what should anet think of a community that changes his opinion depending on the person that make the suggestion? right nothing! thats why anet only implements his own ideas.