Rating is too volatile once u reach ''limit''

in PvP

Posted by: Emdrix.6124

Emdrix.6124

Once you reach the spot where you belong you shouldnt gain or lose too much rating from the games you play. If im staying within 1800-1850 MMR for a week theres no way I should be losing -25 or gaining +15

The system should recognize where you belong by the games you play and their MMR. if I have 100 games played in the 1800-1850 MMR without dropping too much or without going up too much thats where I belong so the MMR shouldnt be so volatile

I was looking at the leaderboards and noticed some top players lost so much rating in just 2-3 games even tho they were around r1-10 since the start of the season.

if someome gets a lucky win streak from his real MMR. Lets say i belong in 1850 but get lucky for a couple of games and end up legendary. Thats not where I belong and it should take me longer to get there than 5-7 games.

And some goes the other way. If the rank 1-5 player goes on a lose streak , they have to grind for days to make up for a few losses.

Basically once a certain percentage of your games lets say more than 60% of your games were played in the certain MMR treshold. The system should then adjust the rating distribution and not make you gain or lose too much rating

Otherwise there is literally no reason to play once you reach a good MMR. Whats the point of playing once u reach legendary if you can lose all your progress in 2 games? Its just plain stupid. Thats why people make alt accounts and troll cuz they dont want to risk their rating.

TLDR: Once you reach the MMR that you belong you should be losing or gaining max 3 points not more.

in PvP

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

I am in 2 minds about this change. I had been top 10 for almost a week and then in 3 days I dropped to outside the top 250 (solo q…) which is SOOOOOO annoying. That made me understand why people complain about matchmaking so much. And after a huge amount of games grinding back my rating, I am only at 1900 rating. I know I will get back eventually but it is annoying when it takes so long. In this case, it would be good to win/lose less rating and would be a nice change.

However, I think a problem with this would be that games would feel less important. I know that even if I lose, I am only going to lose 3 rating and if I win, I am hardly going to gain anything. It would just feel like no games really matter a huge amount. Right now when I win a close game, it is just an amazing feeling but if you knew you wouldn’t win or lose much rating, i wouldn’t really care about a single win or loss.

Another issue is that it would take AGES to get from top 50 to top 10 for example. It could make climbing the leaderboard more of a grind which is not good.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

in PvP

Posted by: MissCee.1295

MissCee.1295

Playing Devil’s Advocate….could it be perhaps there are not enough players in the higher tiers for MM to not stray too far from MMR range?

My toons: Loki Thunderstruck, Loki Livewire,Loki Spellbound, Loki Meanstreak

Find pvp players: https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Posted by: BloodriverTim.2031

BloodriverTim.2031

Playing Devil’s Advocate….could it be perhaps there are not enough players in the higher tiers for MM to not stray too far from MMR range?

The way this rating system is supposed to work is this: When you near your “true” mmr at 50/50 w/l after say, 50 games, the mmr that you gain is supposed to equal the mmr you lose. It’s supposed to freeze you in your mmr range since it’s where you supposedly belong. In order to climb or fall, you are supposed to win or lose a lot in a row. Someone fat-fingered in a *5 multiplier on the amount that people lose vs what they gain when people reach their “true” mmr in the current system.

in PvP

Posted by: Shadowstep.6049

Shadowstep.6049

The biggest joke is when you win matches vs duos that are 300-400 ranks above you, you get only 20 pts but still lose 15….. you win vs top 10 and the gains are so minimal, what was the effort for actually? How are you supposed to climb, when even if you manage to win vs top 10, the rating gains are abysmal compared to rating difference and losses.

(edited by Shadowstep.6049)

in PvP

Posted by: steelheart.7386

steelheart.7386

I would propose that it needs to be even more volatile. We are like two weeks into this new system and apparently everyone is where they are suppossed to be already some with much less then 100 games played. What kind of competitive environment says you reach your placement in 50 games or so and then you can just hang there by playing a handful of games a week. Thats ridiculous in a game of thousands of players. Its way too easy to get to the top now and stay there. Conversely its too hard to climb if you started at the middle or bottom even if you consistently won more then you lost for long periods of time.

(edited by steelheart.7386)

in PvP

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I don’t think you quite understand how MMR works: it’s not “the right number”, it’s a constantly changing approximation of how well you are doing compared to other people playing the game.

You should hit the right number “statistically”, not on a per-match basis. Moving up and down by 1.5 percent isn’t a problem. You should experience that – and if you are in the right region, you should see about as many ups and downs as each other, and stay in the same place.

MMR is, at heart, an continually adjusted guess about who you should play against. There is no “right” answer possible, in a world where people learn.

in PvP

Posted by: Zodi.8932

Zodi.8932

I have a 70% win rate in Gold but I gain +10 for a win and -18 for a loss. Even when I get on to 6 or 7 game win streaks. Obviously I’m meant to be higher ranked so why do I gain so little and lose so much? The system is broken.