Re- implement Fort Aspenwood and Jade Quarry

in PvP

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

Title says it all, not about point caps, just about killing stuff. This would still allow for reward track progression and the mode would have it’s own separate leaderboard for people who want to competitively play Fort Aspenwood and Jade Quarry game modes. Another reason to do this is because they were so popular in GW1 when there was a large community playing the game. With the right implementation they could be even more popular in GW2. The games would be made of 10 man teams instead of 5 giving more variety in who you fight and allowing for a larger map to be created for the modes. They would both be set up the same way they were in gw1 fundamentally. Only while matches are going on players accumulate points that they can spend to upgrade defenders, gates, juggernauts/siege turtles, etc. That of course counts more towards contribution so players are encouraged to spend points for upgrades and communicate with their team to figure out which upgrades each person will purchase.

Differences from pvp:
People get to select the stat combo for each of their armor pieces, weapons, accessories, etc.
No capture points
Rewards based off of personal performance and contribution to your team rather than win-lose
Automatically put on a team (prevents team stacking cough hotjoin cough)
Spectate mode available but not from within the game (people outside the match can watch but people in the match cannot leave to spectate)

Similarities:
People still get to choose runes and sigils as well as skills, traits, etc.

Pros:
Other builds encouraged (ones not dedicated to point capping i.e shadow arts thief builds, gs warriors, staff eles, etc.)
Less stress from teams yelling “CAP CAP CAP” 24/7
New pvp mode for players to enjoy
Some builds are discouraged (turret engi, hambow, bunkers in general)
Larger teams mean 1 person DC-ing has less of an impact to the team (still an impacxt but it doesn’t screw over the team)

Cons:
More stuff to balance
(that’s really all I can think of)

Let me know what you guys think. I’m open to suggestions for changing this to make things better but I hope I’m not the only one who would love to see this put in again.

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

in PvP

Posted by: Barzhal.2640

Barzhal.2640

I played ft. aspenwood on Wednesday night, so much fun, and a rare opportunity these days. Agree 100%.

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Jade Quarry would destroy Fort Aspenwood.

You know how long Jade Quarry has been T1?

Those people changing servers to be apart of T1 (yes I see you guys), if you don’t join Jade Quarry, you lose. Period.

in PvP

Posted by: Creld.8702

Creld.8702

Uberkingkong… They’re maps. Game modes from guild wars 1. You’re either uninformed or a somewhat poor troll.

As for new game modes, I’m all for it. I’m not sure what form I’d like to see (as TDM turns into zerg brawls quickly), but anything new would be great.

Asura Engineer- Aelara Fole

in PvP

Barzhal.2640

yeah man, I played kurzick side and luxon side…we had siege turtles and lots of good pvp…the way it should be. Not GW2 wvw, GW1 style!!!!

in PvP

Barzhal.2640

I would say this – to gw2 players that haven’t experienced the breath of gw1 pvp – go do it, you won’t lose anything. Then read these threads and let us know what you think.

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I believe we would need more ways of supporting/healing NPC for such things.

Also, troll builds…

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

I believe we would need more ways of supporting/healing NPC for such things.

Also, troll builds…

They need to implement rune of golemancer into pvp.

It isn’t op, I have no idea why that rune isn’t in pvp.

in PvP

Ario.8964

Glad you all think this is a good idea so far. Again if you have any ideas for how I could make this proposal better please post them here and let’s get Anet’s attention with this!

Edit: Rym, I’m not entirely sure what your post meant. Could you explain it to me?

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

in PvP

Posted by: Rylen.2147

Rylen.2147

I would love to see this, would be interesting how FA would be played without monks :P

in PvP

Ario.8964

Yeah but then it makes gameplay more challenging in some areas as people can no longer spam heal the turtle or Gunther. Though I guess there are always water fields and blast finishers. It also plays into the idea of upgrading things, one of them would be to give the turtle, juggernaut, Gunther, etc. hp regen so that it could heal up when its not being actively attacked. Now that I think of it I didn’t go into upgrades all that much.

Upgrades:
Because all npc’s start at the normal level, players can pay points to upgrade them to veterans, and in some cases, champs.
Can grant health regen which can be increased as more people feed points into it (will be a cap but the amount is for anet to decide)
Can upgrade armor, health, damage, healing power, etc.
Can upgrade gates to be stronger and have more defenders (turtles can do the same)
Can pay to make all bonuses permanent (so when a gate is destroyed and then repaired or a turtle killed and respawned it will retain all upgrades purchased for it)

That’s just a small list of the things I had in mind but I’m sure anet can figure out other things they could implement.

in PvP

Rym.1469

Glad you all think this is a good idea so far. Again if you have any ideas for how I could make this proposal better please post them here and let’s get Anet’s attention with this!

Edit: Rym, I’m not entirely sure what your post meant. Could you explain it to me?

The big part of both Alliance Battles was supporting and keeping NPCs alive. There were people dedicated to that, especially in latter game, last stages. The amount of offense and defense were kind of balanced.

Now if we want to implement, let’s say, FA into Guild Wars 2 we would need a lot of bonus healing/protection mechanics for NPCs. It’s because the offhealing we do is lowered because of no dedicated healers/shielders etc.

Also, the offense and defense (in terms of sustaining NPCs via heals and boons) aren’t balanced anymore – offense has much higher value.

So we either bring team full of D/D Cele eles facerolling in water or adapt FA with changes.

Such things like stealth did not exist in GW1 where the overall pace of gameplay was much slower and tactical. Enchants like Protective Spirit allowed to keep NPC up under high pressure. Here, it would be very easy to just zerg down AI and there you go.

Bundles allowing for buffing/healing NPCs would be okay I guess and overall, I support this mode.

in PvP

Ario.8964

Ah, I get it now. Good point, I guess what could happen is because this would be a separate game mode they could give people the option of playing as a monk class available only in FA or JQ. Another alternative would be a bundle or giving every profession a set of 3 skill slots apart from utilities and weapon skills and a set of skills specifically for healing, protecting, doing monk like things, etc. What those would be is again up to Anet to decide.

in PvP

Posted by: TheSkaar.9586

TheSkaar.9586

last i checked FA/JQ were dominated by either monks or N/A necros.. which made it quite dull. however with no monks or suicide necros it would definately be a good move by Anet to add this (compared to WvW atm aka nothing.)

General of The Zaishen Order – Far Shiverpeaks

in PvP

Ario.8964

Exactly my thought. Except as I said in my post before this there would have to be a little access to healing skills to make the game fun for people who want to heal or to allow for more advanced gameplay within the mode.

in PvP

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

Okay, I never played GW1…………………………..So I am am curious. Can any of you guys link some videos to the maps your referring to, so those of us who don’t know can get at least some idea of what is being discussed here?

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Expanding the game can only lead to product loyalty. Its things like this that kept people playing gw1 for 8+ years.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

/signed

please bring this game mode to GW2 ANET !

dancingmonkey.4902 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmTmeMRDZas

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

(edited by azizul.8469)

in PvP

Rym.1469

Okay, I never played GW1…………………………..So I am am curious. Can any of you guys link some videos to the maps your referring to, so those of us who don’t know can get at least some idea of what is being discussed here?

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Fort_Aspenwood

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Jade_Quarry

Called “Alliance Battles”. Check it on wiki and then watch videos.

in PvP

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

Alliance Battle is different one. not FA and JQ. totally different mode. more like current spvp, with capture point. 12v12.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in PvP

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

I didn’t read any of this, except the title.

+1