Reaper - good testimony to a bad decision.

in PvP

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

So i main a reaper and hell yeah it’s fun, even in pvp. And albeit he may as well be the best balanced profession of them all, he still is a good study case for “what went wrong”.

And by that i mean reaper’s lacking ability to trap targets in melee range, especially in shroud which is his trademark. And what is said bad decision?

Leaps being immune to cripple or chilling. It was pointed out before and now it comes back with a vengeance. Reaper on your kitten No problem! Just use your leap skill to escape, chill won’t hinder it one bit!.

The reaper can give chase? Well yeah, and guard can be full condi. Possible, but that’s not what the design was about! The reaper’s job is to hold and reel in anyone foolish enough to think they can leap around him like a frog and kite him ez-pzy without taking some serious risk! But that’s not what’s happening.

So where are the cripples and immobilizes for the reaper? Where is the ability to hinder their leap skills to make escape that much harder if they haven’t condi-cleansed?
Edit Oh and where is my pull for rs? Not everyone uses gs in pvp, hell most reaper’s don’t. Not to mention the horrible cooldown and tracking for that thing…
While everyone who traits reaper does use reaper shroud and it’s always melee, so how about some tools for being effective in melee there?

Answer to that and more in next balance patch…

(edited by ZeftheWicked.3076)

in PvP

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

in my opinion they should increase the speed of GS 1 and reduce the CD on the pull ALLOT

thats all im asking for T.T

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

in PvP

Posted by: Hakuryuu.8634

Hakuryuu.8634

ITT: My class is balanced, please buff
I’d give a perfect 5/7

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I have lost very close duels against reaper on my revenant (but have some decent wins too) and it’s pretty much a learn to play issue. They have the AoE fields and minions offer decent counterplay against unrelenting assault since the damage isn’t concentrated on the reaper.

Speaking of chill given its frequency cooldowns in general (interrupt one at least) should be reduced across the board except for skills like UA and DH traps that already have too short cooldowns.

“Leaps being immune to cripple or chilling”

Chill needs some counterplay. Necros have life steal, boon corruption, condition transfer, two different shroud forms offering extra HP, and AoE fields. Necro needs to have some weaknesses.

“Possible, but that’s not what the design was about!”

Are the traits not there to be traited, skills there to be used, and viper or celestial amulets to be taken? It’s most certainly what the design is about if you want such a build. I didn’t even get into reaper stability. Since nodes tend to be very small the onus is on the defender to stay and fight the reaper, and to keep the node from going neutral or even to the enemy you’ll need to eat up some of the AoE fields and even some reaper scythe damage. If you’re a node defender however the obligation is on the attacker to turn your node and if he runs away he can’t take the node from you now can he?

So if a reaper defends a node the mobility disadvantage shouldn’t be coming into play whereas if he’s an attacker he has tools to make a defender pay for staying (though CA druid has good cleanses and knockbacks for when he notices no stability is up)

Leaps are also actives on cooldowns so know that.

I do admit though that druid counters reaper pretty hard.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

reaper is fine.

ask your friends to immobilize your victims for you.

in PvP

Posted by: basz.6129

basz.6129

2 interchangeable hp bars, biggest personal dps buff contained in an elite requiring one simply to flop hands on keyboard, combined with powerful condi and direct damage options that cover entire nodes. Necro has a hang nail, buff plox.

The real sad truth is that reaper necro is about the only class with dps high enough to contest and take a node without investing 5 mins+ in a 1v1. The animation sequences and skill proc effects are about the only limitation the class has. Being slow and ‘unable’ to chase, while raining down so many types of damage, sounds like a blessing. Shouldn’t be chasing off the node anyways.

in PvP

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Like you said reaper is one of the actually balanced professions atm. It has it’s strengths and weaknesses and due to that it is subpar below the meta. It works but not the most optimal and really shines when they player is good at this class. Is the condi aspect of the class good? yes. It’s fine, perfect even but the fact that something like diamond skin exists basically nullifies 80% of a nec’s kit with one trait. Fantastic. Other things need to be buffed on the nec, yes gs could use some love. Well of darkness should be scrapped, spectral skills need some attention and why does not a single corruption have a stun break aspect while all other skill categories have at least one (spectral w/ 2). Being perfectly clear, leaps and dashes bypassing chill and cripple are a must. I mean, I can’t express how many time’s death’s charge bypassing crippling effects has helped me (only i’d say make it evade attacks too like burning speed aha but one can only dream of such luxuries).
Basically, immobs and pulls are the least of our problems but some help in other areas will help the overall situation a bit.

Säïnt

(edited by SaintSnow.6593)

in PvP

Posted by: chibbi.3706

chibbi.3706

Class is fine and balanced, all it needs is a few QoL improvements.

However i’d like to add that necros don’t have all the things quoted previously in one single build.

in PvP

Posted by: basz.6129

basz.6129

Must just be imagining reapers standing on node whirling around cleaving kitten for 9k x3

in PvP

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

as i said – it’s not the damage, it’s the ability to hold enemies in melee, which was widely advertised as reaper’s core gameplay style.

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

People SERIOUSLY over-exaggerate this whole 2 HP Bars deal.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Posted by: Nilots.1026

Nilots.1026

Reaper main here: This is a l2p issue. Learn to time your reaper skills better. You shouldn’t be spending a whole lot time in shroud beyond dropping 2 4 and 5 anyway unless you’re super low on HP or need cleave/stab. You’re not trying to play power reaper are you? Condis should be doing most of the work, even as cele.

Besides, if your opponents try to kite you that just means you are sitting on the point capping/decapping/defending uncontested, which is the entire point of the game.

Even if this was not a l2p issue, it is so far down on the priority list for balance priorities I hope Anet doesn’t even look at this post. The last thing we need is them to screw with necro more.

in PvP

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

Reaper is fine as is, a few tweaks is all.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Chill also doesn’t affect thief skills. It never has. It is just not apparent because thief doesn’t really exist at the moment. I don’t see the nature of you’re complaint? You’re on a node..you’re holding it..they’re are leaping away. The purpose of Pvp is not to crush inexperienced players, but hold capture points. You have successfully done that. If crushing inexperienced players with over tuned chilled based skills is your thing, then PvE is more for you.

“The reaper’s thematic roots come from classic movie monsters and survival horror games. We pulled elements from slow but seemingly unstoppable horror monsters like Pyramid Head and Jason Voorhees to try to craft the feeling of a relentless pursuer who becomes extremely deadly once they close the distance to their prey. The greatsword is the ideal weapon for expressing this sense of dread due to its size and weight, but there was one thing that was missing—what’s a reaper without a scythe?
The reaper’s first minor trait is called Shroud Knight, and it gives the necromancer a completely new set of melee-focused skills while in Death Shroud. Additionally, when activating the new Reaper’s Shroud, they also equip a giant shadowy scythe and gain some additional particle effects to signify to opponents to watch out. The skills available while in Reaper’s Shroud share some similarities with their Death Shroud counterparts and—where applicable—inherit traits that are normally applied to them. Because Reaper’s Shroud is focused on melee combat, it centers much more on skills that allow reapers to get close, stay close, and cleave enemies. "

It was never said they are masters of holding enemies in melee, in fact it said the exact opposite..their new skills allow to get, stay close and cleave enemies.

in PvP

Posted by: Sheobix.8796

Sheobix.8796

Lol this post… Reaper is fine.

If you want to keep people from moving go roll a guard and throw down that kittenty trap.

We have access to plenty of conditions that hinder movement, and yes, we’re not OP or UP. We don’t need nerfs or buffs, leave them alone.

in PvP

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

Lol this post… Reaper is fine.

If you want to keep people from moving go roll a guard and throw down that kittenty trap.

We have access to plenty of conditions that hinder movement, and yes, we’re not OP or UP. We don’t need nerfs or buffs, leave them alone.

its not a trap

its a longbow skill
that is annoying as HELL……

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

OP, you really don’t know how good you have it.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>