Reasons players are unhappy with PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

The fact that you think those are the only way to carry kind of shows your inexperience.

I would love to hear how a pro like you carries 4 other players by yourself. Do you play a Mesmer, and leave a clone at Home so you can cap while fighting at Mid since no one else decides to cap it? Perhaps you play DH, and leave traps on Mid, then teleport back to Home to defend because the players respawning has tunnel vision on the mid-fight? Or are you mobile enough to help the Thief who Leeroy’s into a Far that’s being bunkered by an Engi and Ele, rezzing the Rev at mid, while wondering why there are 2 teammates standing on an empty Home?

True that some of my games are decent games, I’ve had some close games where both teams get +400 points and it’s fun. But the majority of my losses in particular are total, utter blowouts and my team is filled with people that insta-die on mid, double cap and don’t rotate at all.

If you’re having 400 point blowouts in Gold+, do you think that your teammates gave up after the initial push? I’ve been on teams where we faced so much bunkering on the other side, that my team just AFKs until the next game.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in PvP

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

Well I move forwards when I quit assuming the matcher is out to get me. Just go at every game like you’re going to win and act like your team can do it too. Biggest rule of pvp, wvw also, is to not let your opponent believe they can win.

Yeah I pushed into t2 plat once and got a few games with esl player blowouts 66-500 etc. Been letting my rating decay over the holidays back at t3 gold, but I know I can push back into plat regardless of who the matcher throws me with. Why? Because fluke matches happen but they are a minority not a majority. If I start seeing them as a majority it’s time to look at my gameplay.

in PvP

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I was tier 3 gold until my friend begged me to smurf them into gold from bronze, now I’m tier 2 silver with a 50/50 win loss ratio but as soon as I dropped them I’m almost gold again until anet decides that I’ve won too much and pits me with pvers

in PvP

Smooth Penguin.5294

Fluke matches happen more consistently in Silver due to the severe mix of skill levels (new and vets combined). I’m scared to think what happens in Bronze.

Anet can address some of these problems by moving away from the “award everyone” mindset, and treat PvP as a competitive game-mode. Unranked for the loots, and Ranked for the glory. I promise you there’d be a lot less complaints.

Edit – a 50/50 win loss ratio means you’re going down. Since wins don’t give as much MMR as losses take away, you need maybe a 55/45 to stay even, and 60/40 to inch up.

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Wins do give as much if you’re going against people of your skill level or higher. Losses give more if you’re going against opponents with a lower rating than you. You can’t judge it just by the ratio, since WHICH matches you win or lose matters.

To carry at Plat, a lot of the times I end up 1v2ing. Down at Bronze or Silver, that would probably move to 1v3ing.

A lot of the randomness in matches boils down to people rotating poorly. People throw matches without even realizing it.

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

in PvP

Gwaihir.1745

I still get +10-15 a win at t3 gold and -4 or -5 a loss at t3 gold. And I know the teams I lose to outskilled me, but that happens when there are less players above your rating. Even saw a -1 once when qued against 2 esl duos. Had 1 esl guy on my team so the other 3 must have been pure scrubs to merit a -1.

in PvP

Smooth Penguin.5294

So in Silver, I’m seeing all losses taking away more MMR than wins give. According to team MMR, I should be winning every single match. I’m running a sub 50 ratio. I’d have a lot more wins if certain matches didn’t have clueless teammates. How is that fair as compare to Gold+? You can’t climb out of this unless you can 1 v 4, and even then you need to hope your teammates can still rotate properly against the left over dude.

/triggered

Attachments:

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

in PvP

Gwaihir.1745

Play heavier dps in low tiers. I broke out of silver with a core burn guard with guardian runes. Assuming you are the better player and can kite/avoid stuns you will be dropping their entire team in one go. Packing a dps spec at low tiers means you can just run between home and mid nuking and they won’t be able to respawn fast enough to kill your bad teammates.

And you will need to fix before moving up. Once your win rate is sub 50 you won’t move up. I started t1 silver but never dropped below 70% win rate till plat to maintain forward progression.

in PvP

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I agree with the OP, although I have to admit that I just threw a match myself. Why? Because I was sick and tired of having one match after another filled with noobs who don’t care about pings, who don’t read team chat, and who stick to their initial “strategy” even when they see it’s not working in the current match and they are required to adjust.

I am stuck in Bronze hell because of this, and it’s no fun at all. If what the OP suggest was in place, things would be very different and I could be in a higher rank by now.

in PvP

Posted by: Bardly.2571

Bardly.2571

I think Anet is doing pretty well. I’m not sure how many other games you have played lately, but the balance in PvP here seems to be as follows. . .

“Elementalist, Engineer, DH, Warrior, Bunker Druid, Thief, Necro, and Power Shiro Rev are OP and Chronomancer is the most powerful class in the game because of their time split mechanic.”

. . .If everything is OP and everything is unbalanced than everything is balanced. Play another game where a class has NO counter at all, or there is no discernable way to beat them. . .or a lot of players are using a particular exploit.

Different classes play to other peoples strengths. . .

Calling for Nerfs nonstop just continues to screw up the “Balance”.

I for one am unhappy with PvP because no matter how a games goes you get that one player on one of the teams that really shouldn’t be allowed on the internet until they get some serious counseling. . .and Anet cant do anything about that.

in PvP

Smooth Penguin.5294

Play heavier dps in low tiers. I broke out of silver with a core burn guard with guardian runes. Assuming you are the better player and can kite/avoid stuns you will be dropping their entire team in one go. Packing a dps spec at low tiers means you can just run between home and mid nuking and they won’t be able to respawn fast enough to kill your bad teammates.

And you will need to fix before moving up. Once your win rate is sub 50 you won’t move up. I started t1 silver but never dropped below 70% win rate till plat to maintain forward progression.

Here’s the issue. I usually have to make the decision to either swap to my Thief for mobile rotation duties, or go bunker and keep the points we do have capped. All depends on team comp. I can try to swap to the roll of heavy DPS, but I still have to rely on the other 4 to manage their own. I’ve seen players stand outside of circles, thinking they’re capping…

A lot of times, the team mentality in Silver is to fight for mid, and everything else falls in place. The tunnel vision is mindblowing, as Team Chat calls and pings on the map are all ignored. I would give anything to be T3 Silver to T1 Gold so I can focus on just my own job, rather than trying to coordinate the map while in mid-combat.

in PvP

Posted by: Vykoz.7803

Vykoz.7803

If you cant carry in silver, you are where you belong, till you improve.

youre just repeating yourself, so many already told you what to do and that youre just bad/average and you need to improve, if you want to move up.

Your team mates are also average players that want to improve and move up, but sadly you will all make mistakes and bad choices, same for your opponents.

So when you learn and improve so you make less mistakes and less bad choices, you will move up.

You might think you make the right choices now, but if youre stuck it seems it aint so and you have stuff to learn.

(edited by Vykoz.7803)

in PvP

Posted by: TheDarkSoul.1938

TheDarkSoul.1938

True that some of my games are decent games, I’ve had some close games where both teams get +400 points and it’s fun. But the majority of my losses in particular are total, utter blowouts and my team is filled with people that insta-die on mid, double cap and don’t rotate at all.

If you’re having 400 point blowouts in Gold+, do you think that your teammates gave up after the initial push? I’ve been on teams where we faced so much bunkering on the other side, that my team just AFKs until the next game.

I don’t think that’s the case. I’ve only had maybe 2 instances of games where my teammate has literally AFKd, and that’s because he fell out with another of my teammates that raged at him, he did it out of spite basically.

The blowouts happen because rarely there’s proper communication (I.E. you ask Thief to go close and he doesn’t reply and proceeds to rush far and instadie in the 1v1 whilst your team fights 3v4 at mid and loses that as well) there’s no focus in teamfights, and there’s no rotation.

I had a game just in which I got put on a team with a support Ele, a Thief, a DH and another War. I ask Thief to go close, he agrees, but once the game starts he decides to leave close and follow us to mid instead. Ele decides it’s a good idea, despite my objections, to go close instead, and so we’re forced to go mid with a D/P Thief and no support ele against a good support ele, 2 DH and a necro. I call target on Necro, Thief ports straight to him right into DH traps and instadies, and the other 2 players on my team completely ignore target. We lose mid whilst our support ele camps on close, and then what happens is that people have no idea how to rotate after losing that mid fight. What happens most of the time (and in this occasion) is that they run to mid 1 by 1 to get killed very very quickly. Thief wasn’t decapping, just trying to fight on point, and support ele spent the majority of the game at close.

Think the score ended up being 500-230ish and that was only because they recognised that our Ele was camping close and decided to 5v4 the rest of the map instead, and I managed to cap far a few times and sustain there outnumbered for a while whilst my teammates rushed mid and died over and over.

Fissure Of Woe – [lpe]
I Silent – Thief
…. That’s about it.

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

This last point is wrong. All you need to do is watch any Legendary players stream on twitch to know that it is wrong.

The rest of the stuff you’ve got should definitely be considered but that last one…. nope. Just wrong.

After watching some streams, I believe those bad teammates are just trolling and losing on purpose. No one in Gold tier and above is clueless.

U are wrong, i get players that afk at close , when u can clearly see they have 3 far and 2 mid, still they just dont move from close.
Others insta die , i mean really insta die in 5 secs , and then every 30 seconds.
Others leave mid to go +1 a 2vs 1 vs a thief, means i look at the map and i see 3vs 1 a thief.
Ofc other times anet just puts 3 thievs vs 2 guads and a warrior.
If u join solo its just a lotary, it really is.

Wow you too now? Since when have you stop white knighting for the current season, ANet has gifted and pushed many actually PvPers from? But other then that. Yeah I agree. Tho I am wondering what made you change your opinion on the PvP league.

Hahaha! They’re all waking up now!

“You need to learn to carry.”
“You’re not as good as you think you are.”
“The system will sort itself out.”

These “pros” LECTURE us on how to “improve”, but once they get a taste of that bronze life they do a COMPLETE 180.

What HYPOCRISY.

in PvP

Smooth Penguin.5294

If you cant carry in silver, you are where you belong, till you improve.

youre just repeating yourself, so many already told you what to do and that youre just bad/average and you need to improve, if you want to move up.

Your team mates are also average players that want to improve and move up, but sadly you will all make mistakes and bad choices, same for your opponents.

So when you learn and improve so you make less mistakes and less bad choices, you will move up.

You might think you make the right choices now, but if youre stuck it seems it aint so and you have stuff to learn.

Yet again someone who doesn’t understand the problem. Maybe you got lucky and were carried to a high division, so you can repeat the claim that it’s a “you’re just bad” deal. But as a mid ranged player, I’m being teamed with players who have no business being given an average MMR, and have no idea how to play. Then I get dragged downwards and can’t climb up due to Silver Hell RNG teams. My teammates are not average players. They’re new players given average ratings. Big difference.

Players who claim a single player can carry whole teams in low/mid Silver have no idea how Ranked PvP works. In order to do something like this, my skill level would need to be Plat to ESL. And we all know that these players and their alts currently occupy the top 250.

I have no issue admitting to not being a pro, but I’m also not a bottom dweller. I know rotations, strategy, and have classes that I’m good with. I can bunker against 3 to 4 people long enough for my team to rotate to empty points. But RNG gives me people who lose capped points in a 3 v 1 against a Necro. How this happens I have no idea.

in PvP

Vykoz.7803

You say it yourself, youre an average and midrange player.

So youre in silver, thats average / midrange mmr.

Stop crying over your team mates, they are like you.

(edited by Vykoz.7803)

in PvP

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

This last point is wrong. All you need to do is watch any Legendary players stream on twitch to know that it is wrong.

The rest of the stuff you’ve got should definitely be considered but that last one…. nope. Just wrong.

After watching some streams, I believe those bad teammates are just trolling and losing on purpose. No one in Gold tier and above is clueless.

U are wrong, i get players that afk at close , when u can clearly see they have 3 far and 2 mid, still they just dont move from close.
Others insta die , i mean really insta die in 5 secs , and then every 30 seconds.
Others leave mid to go +1 a 2vs 1 vs a thief, means i look at the map and i see 3vs 1 a thief.
Ofc other times anet just puts 3 thievs vs 2 guads and a warrior.
If u join solo its just a lotary, it really is.

Wow you too now? Since when have you stop white knighting for the current season, ANet has gifted and pushed many actually PvPers from? But other then that. Yeah I agree. Tho I am wondering what made you change your opinion on the PvP league.

Hahaha! They’re all waking up now!

“You need to learn to carry.”
“You’re not as good as you think you are.”
“The system will sort itself out.”

These “pros” LECTURE us on how to “improve”, but once they get a taste of that bronze life they do a COMPLETE 180.

What HYPOCRISY.

I thought MM was awesome at first… Now I don’t. I think players should only be allowed to solo queue, unless ANet ensures that each team gets the same amount of duo queues… It’s wild out here!

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in PvP

Smooth Penguin.5294

My problem is that I’m being dragged toward Bronze, and that’s unacceptable. You’ll understand this when you stop getting teams that carry you.

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

I thought ANet said the majority of playerbase will be bronze so even if you place silver you’re probably like top 10% of the playerbase in PvP which isn’t that bad.

I mean I get it you’re frustrated some people don’t deserve to even be in silver but they’ll suck and continue sucking until they end up in bronze. I know a guy who 9-26 in gold and he will keep on tanking because he is overrated. Statistically speaking if you keep playing games, you won’t run into enough of these games to make it matter to your rating.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

JTGuevara.9018

My problem is that I’m being dragged toward Bronze, and that’s unacceptable. You’ll understand this when you stop getting teams that carry you.

Don’t worry, Smooth. He’ll be converted soon enough, mwahahahaha!!

We’ve had the apologists since league season ONE. Once the MMR system gets him and he tumbles and can’t get back up, he’ll come around!

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

We’ve had the apologists since league season ONE. Once the MMR system gets him and he tumbles and can’t get back up, he’ll come around!

Then what if the players that started in Bronze and low Silver and are mid to high gold now? Funny how that works. This system works to place players where they belong, sorry to say.

(edited by BlaqueFyre.5678)

in PvP

JTGuevara.9018

Then what if the players that started in low Silver and are mid to high gold now? Funny how that works. This system works to place players where they belong, sorry to say.

Got six letters for ya:

R—N—G

D—U—O

in PvP

Smooth Penguin.5294

Then what if the players that started in Bronze and low Silver and are mid to high gold now? Funny how that works. This system works to place players where they belong, sorry to say.

That means they scored the RNG lottery on knowledgeable teammates and went on a win streak.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

@JTGuevara and Smooth Penguin

By everything you two say no one in Bronze or low silver should progress. Yet people do, and in those tiers if you are skilled as you think you are you should have no problem against the enemies skilled players. Unless you think that the system only pairs you with unskilled players….

in PvP

Smooth Penguin.5294

By everything you two say no one in Bronze or low silver should progress. Yet people do, and in those tiers if you are skilled as you think you are you should have no problem against the enemies skilled players. Unless you think that the system only pairs you with unskilled players….

That’s just like saying that when I got all those Precursors within the span of a few months, that means everyone should be getting a bunch of Precursors too.

That’s not how RNG works, mate. PvP matchmaking is a roll of the dice, and you gotta play with the team you’re given. And because I got dragged down the MMR ladder, that means the chances are higher that I roll bad.

in PvP

fishball.7204

You can just post a video of your games and show us that the system is really rigged against you.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

JTGuevara.9018

You can just post a video of your games and show us that the system is really rigged against you.

Says who?

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I still think a lot of this angst would be better if there were Solo Queues and Team Queues, and never the two shall meet. If you’re interested in climbing the ladder, play Team Queues (which you can also enter solo). If you’re more interested in just playing for fun/rewards like me, then stick to Solo Queue.

in PvP

fishball.7204

I mean you guys have no proof the games are lost because of other people. I’ve climbed through silver on an alt into T3 gold and never seen 10 games in a row where I couldn’t carry. Maybe 1-2 games were a wash but they weren’t enough to drag me down to bronze.

In the end the only common denominator in all those games is you, yourself so I’m inclined to think you guys are just not really that good and blaming RNG for your losses just seems like a poorly thought out thing since if you play 50 matches it is highly unlikely that all 50 are stacked against you.

So here I am waiting for proof that you guys are really just unlucky and not bad but until then I’m gonna assume you’re just bad.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

Posted by: Highlie.7641

Highlie.7641

Well i would of thought the higher you went the more likely it is that people would understand basic mechanics. You can not carry in bronze for the simple reason you are one person. carry with a 1vs3, pathetic , take a look at this SS, it doens’t matter for the simple reason that you can not be everywhere at one time.
(I was a bit slow on getting the 5th person on the screen, but if you look at the mini map you will see where he is. he’s about to get spiked. as for the mesmer he came when it was over.)

keep living in your delusional world by all means. in 10,000 more games when i’m out of this rng hell i’m coming for you

Attachments:

in PvP

JTGuevara.9018

I mean you guys have no proof the games are lost because of other people. I’ve climbed through silver on an alt into T3 gold and never seen 10 games in a row where I couldn’t carry. Maybe 1-2 games were a wash but they weren’t enough to drag me down to bronze.

In the end the only common denominator in all those games is you, yourself so I’m inclined to think you guys are just not really that good and blaming RNG for your losses just seems like a poorly thought out thing since if you play 50 matches it is highly unlikely that all 50 are stacked against you.

So here I am waiting for proof that you guys are really just unlucky and not bad but until then I’m gonna assume you’re just bad.

I see right through this BS. You did it on an ALT because you couldn’t do it on your main. You also bring up the myth of “carry” the game, which doesn’t exist. Not even pro-leaguers can “carry”. Why do you think they duo-queued?

in PvP

fishball.7204

I wanted to farm some ascended armor on my alt for raids, my main climbed from 1400->1800 MMR before I stopped bothering and let it decay lol.

I actually carry low tier games by going full glass builds and killing 3-4 people at once because they’re just so bad. If you can’t do the same then maybe you’re where you deserve to be.

Pro leaguers (the really good ones) can even carry a team of 1800 MMRs because they’re that good. I don’t know any pro league player stuck in bronze because of “RNG” lmao.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Part of me doesn’t think Anet management plays as much Ranked PvP as us players, so they’re probably oblivious as to why a lot of people are unhappy. So here’s my list of possible reasons why PvP players are not happy with the new Ranked season.

• 1) What Anet thinks works doesn’t actually work. Meaning, allowing a game mode that’s supposed to be competitive shouldn’t reward losing. You effectively have two different types of players being combined into the same game mode: Those who don’t care about the competition, and those that do. Rewarding losses keeps the players who don’t care about competition around, and that causes problems.
  • 2) Matchmaking algorithm still doesn’t work well. There should be no reason why 3 or 4 of the same class should be randomly spawned on the same team. A proper team made of random Solo queuers should have some type of balance. No more than 2 heavy/medium/light classes, no more than 2 of the same class. Things like that.
  • 3) Players are punished for things out of their control. You win as a team, and lose as a team. This motto would be true, if Ranked PvP were an actual team game. As it stands, being on a team with up to 4 random strangers of various skill level truly makes winning more of a coin flip than based on skill and strategy. Case in point, my last match had 3 Eles, so I swapped to my Ele, and fooled around. We won. But not because of my skill. I was just mashing buttons since I don’t know how to play Ele well. We won because the other team had players who aren’t experienced in PvP. Matchmaking punished someone on the other team who really tried hard to win, but couldn’t because his teammates couldn’t keep up. MMR should be based on individual skill, not the win/loss record.
  • 4) No barriers to entry for Ranked. A lot of people will attest that there are players who don’t understand strategy of PvP maps. You can’t take what you learn from PvE or WvW, and expect to play out the same. Unless you can create a learning simulation for players new to PvP to practice on before entering Ranked queues, there needs to be stricter qualifications for entry.
  • 5) PvP needs more reporting functions for AFKers and trolls. If someone is intentionally throwing Ranked matches, they shouldn’t be allowed to play anymore.
  • 6) High rated players treated differently than mid/low tier players. This is unintentional on Anet’s part, but their matchmaking system protects the higher rated players. They never have to worry about their teammates not understanding strategy, rotations, etc. Mid to low tier players are grouped together with new players, and they’re trapped on these tiers because getting out depends on the luck of the draw for teammates. Anet should be fair to all players, and have a hard reset of MMR.
  • 7) Can’t play ranked with 4 friends . That makes me really unhappy.

I’m not participating in this season unless I can play with a full team of people I like to play with.

in PvP

Posted by: Highlie.7641

Highlie.7641

No you do not fishball.

You just have not learned to read the mini map yet. eventally you will realize someone on your team is also doing what they are suppose to be doing. or you would be losing.

in PvP

JTGuevara.9018

I wanted to farm some ascended armor on my alt for raids, my main climbed from 1400->1800 MMR before I stopped bothering and let it decay lol.

I actually carry low tier games by going full glass builds and killing 3-4 people at once because they’re just so bad. If you can’t do the same then maybe you’re where you deserve to be.

Pro leaguers (the really good ones) can even carry a team of 1800 MMRs because they’re that good. I don’t know any pro league player stuck in bronze because of “RNG” lmao.

Oh watch out folks! We got a guy that can “carry”!!

-snicker-

It’s called teamwork. I’m sure you’ve heard of it!

Lady RNG must be stroking you REAAALLL good!

in PvP

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

• 1) What Anet thinks works doesn’t actually work. Meaning, allowing a game mode that’s supposed to be competitive shouldn’t reward losing. You effectively have two different types of players being combined into the same game mode: Those who don’t care about the competition, and those that do. Rewarding losses keeps the players who don’t care about competition around, and that causes problems.

The reward is 3 pips on a secondary reward track with a possible 4th if you did well. You still lose ranking overall and can even drop tiers if you lose enough. Plus GW2 is marketed and has always been marketed as a casual friendly game. Complaining that it isn’t hardcore enough is just silly.

• 2) Matchmaking algorithm still doesn’t work well. There should be no reason why 3 or 4 of the same class should be randomly spawned on the same team. A proper team made of random Solo queuers should have some type of balance. No more than 2 heavy/medium/light classes, no more than 2 of the same class. Things like that.

It’s been stated that current matchmaking isn’t even looking for this right now. Should it… maybe. However, the goal has always been quick games because that is what the majority seems to have called for. What you’re asking for would slow that process down and would lead to more threads about terrible matchmaking.

• 3) Players are punished for things out of their control. You win as a team, and lose as a team. This motto would be true, if Ranked PvP were an actual team game. As it stands, being on a team with up to 4 random strangers of various skill level truly makes winning more of a coin flip than based on skill and strategy. Case in point, my last match had 3 Eles, so I swapped to my Ele, and fooled around. We won. But not because of my skill. I was just mashing buttons since I don’t know how to play Ele well. We won because the other team had players who aren’t experienced in PvP. Matchmaking punished someone on the other team who really tried hard to win, but couldn’t because his teammates couldn’t keep up. MMR should be based on individual skill, not the win/loss record.

If only the system took this into account and didn’t punish your rewards when losing… oh wait never mind that was a flaw in the system too. Truth is people are playing and people will make mistakes and mess up. It’s more likely you caught some teammate that were off their game, and probably thrown more off if they were yelled at.

• 4) No barriers to entry for Ranked. A lot of people will attest that there are players who don’t understand strategy of PvP maps. You can’t take what you learn from PvE or WvW, and expect to play out the same. Unless you can create a learning simulation for players new to PvP to practice on before entering Ranked queues, there needs to be stricter qualifications for entry.

You have to be level 20 to play ranked. If you want a higher barrier this casual friendly game probably isn’t for you. Try LoL.

• 5) PvP needs more reporting functions for AFKers and trolls. If someone is intentionally throwing Ranked matches, they shouldn’t be allowed to play anymore.

This I have not problem with.

• 6) High rated players treated differently than mid/low tier players. This is unintentional on Anet’s part, but their matchmaking system protects the higher rated players. They never have to worry about their teammates not understanding strategy, rotations, etc. Mid to low tier players are grouped together with new players, and they’re trapped on these tiers because getting out depends on the luck of the draw for teammates. Anet should be fair to all players, and have a hard reset of MMR.

I don’t think this is true. Bad players exist everywhere. Just as you get to higher tiers those “bad” players (relative to others playing) make fewer big mistakes than lower tier players.

Compared to previous seasons this one is amazing and doing a lot of things right. I don’t totally disagree with everything said here, but I understand the trade offs. The reward program will keep population high which helps with a lot. Does that mean you’ll have a lot of new players who make stupid choices. Yes. Is that a bad thing, in the long run, no. A lot of this season is what players have asked for and stays true to the casual philosophy of the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Look, for the most part I am satisfied with this season. However, for those of you bashing on people that are insisting they are a getting bad matches and telling them they should carry, you should know that not everyone is lying and it is entirely plausible. I’ve been tracking the mmr of players in my matches by adding them to my friend’s list when the match starts. Below was one such match.

Red Team MMR 1490/1408/1330/1294/1203 Average MMR 1345
Blue Team MMR 1367(me)/1363/1199/1130/904 Average MMR 1193

I’ve noticed that matchmaking does not create two balanced mmr teams, nor does it completely stack one team with all the higher mmr players. Instead, it seems to place 2-3 players on each team with relatively close mmr, and then for the remaining 2-3 players, one team will get all the higher outlier mmr players and the other team will get all the lower ones.

Now during prime time queueing where there are plenty of players to choose from, this isn’t all that noticeable. But if you are queueing while there is a much smaller pool of players to pull from, the results become drastically more noticeable. The sad thing is, this could all be avoided if the matchmaker did a better job at ensuring the average mmr of both teams was as balanced as possible.

The other thing I noticed, is that often when I am being set up with crazy matches like this, I always have the highest mmr on my team, which is considerably lower than 2-3 players from the other team.

So I’m not saying that every single player whining about this season is right, but I am saying that it is very possible to get placed in matches that seem impossible to win. You can deny it if you want and say the system is working perfectly, but from the info I’ve gathered from my matches looking at the mmr of all these players, the system does still need some tweaking.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

These teams are the worst I have ever seen. In one match I was SINGLE HANDLEDLY holding a point against 4v1s but instead of bunkering 2 points and easily holding them all match, my team CONTINUALLY SUICIDES into them in the middle of the map 1 at a time trying to cap the enemy home because that is “how you are supposed to play” while allowing them to repeatedly cap our home and not bothering to recap it and screaming at me in chat about how I am the sole cause of our loss. Just the concept of holding back from engaging while everyone rezzed so it would be even or recapping our own home were too much for these people. Other matches have ridiculous builds (bunker mesmer, glass cannon guardian), people who stop trying if everyone doesn’t treat them as god and do what they say, people who are playing classes they don’t even know and have randomly built, and team comps that are almost certain loss from the matchmaking (1 team is the perfect hard counter for the other, teams with stacks of 4 of one class).

This is the worst PVP experience I have ever had in any game I have ever played, and I was hardcore into League of Legends for a while. At this point I am playing the bare minimum in a day to advance my achievements, and then getting the kitten out before I punch in my monitor.

in PvP

Vykoz.7803

So many are getting the hammer to face and seeing how bad they really are, the tears and diniability are great.

Youre stuck in bronze/silver cause youre bad/average, you have always been bad/average, if you played for 4 years and youre still stuck in bronze.

Try think how much you have dragged your friends/teammates down the last years or think about how unworthy your seasons of legend ranks has been.

Think about how much you have been carried, which you cant figure out how to do.

At least with this system, you will be kept with likewise players and not plague the top of the ladder, like in previous seasons. (old legend rank, luls…..)

gg.

(edited by Vykoz.7803)

in PvP

JTGuevara.9018

So many are getting the hammer to face and seeing how bad they really are, the tears and diniability are great.

Youre stuck in bronze/silver cause youre bad/average, you have always been bad/average, if you played for 4 years and youre still stuck in bronze.

Try think how much you have dragged your friends/teammates down the last 4 years or think about how unworthy your seasons of legend ranks has been.

Think about how much you have been carried, which you cant figure out how to do…

gg.

Hahaha! I don’t need to think or explain JACK to you “pros” who got their balls fondled by Lady RNG.

You lot will change your tune after she kicks you to the curb and hands you a series of losses lol.

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

So it’s fair that 1 or 2 players on a team carry 3 bad ones up? Are you not reading the forums? Apparently some of these players have been carried as high as gold. I personally thought this was a placement issue but I’m starting to see it’s a combination of the new system, starting mmr, placement matches and gaining loot for losses while also adding in nearly a full set of ascended gear you can gain passively.

There’s a few posters here I’ve respected for a while and you are one of them so I’m left to assume you have not had a taste of what so many are complaining about.
It’s Probably best to think of this as a few of us have slipped through the cracks of the system and that’s why we are complaining and as you have no doubt noticed, it’s happening to more people each day. Not just here, but in game too.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

it’s pretty simple tho, right?

it’s a combination of not that great matchmaking & the dunning kruger effect.
hence people are very salty.

like, let’s be real. matchmaking is not super good. but, guess what dude? it’s bad for everyone. we all have the same poor luck, & good luck. so, homes what explains some players being in the high ranks, & some o’ y’all being stuck at the bottom? oh dude, sad to say, but it’s got to be skill. there is no way you are some perfect gw2 adonis & the game is just conspiring against you. take off the tinfoil, welcome to the real world.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

TheDarkSoul.1938

Yeah, I love reading some of the stuff the guys that have had easy rides to Plat/Leg have to say about matchmaking and getting stuck in lower tiers. “If you get to a tier and get stuck there it’s because you belong there” is quite simply a case of them liking the sound of the fact that they “belong” in higher tiers than other people.

Carry games 1v5/2v5? BS. MAYBE at Bronze, depending on just how bad they are, but I’m lucky enough to not have been there. However, once you get up to Silver 3/Gold 1, you start facing players that actually know how to play PvP (you still get the noobs but there are more good players up here than down in Bronze). If I’m being put in a situation where the matchmaker expects me to carry my entire team 1v5 against a team that has say, just TWO players that are close to my skill level, it’s just not possible. The other 3 don’t even need to be as good as I am mechanically. All they need is basic knowledge of PvP; rotations, focus, class matchup knowledge, decapping, +1, communication. It’s impossible to carry against that, just as it is, in theory, impossible to win a 2v1 against 2 people that are just as good as you are.

If you say you’re consistently carrying matches like that then either you’re a liar and you’re trying to sound high and mighty on the forums (and most people see through that) or the matchmaker is putting you against incredibly bad teams and you’re too blinded by your vanity to notice.

Regardless of that, should I be put in situations where I have to carry AT ALL? Surely putting players on teams like that, where they or maybe one other person are the only capable ones and the enemy team is at an advantage, means the matchmaker is flawed anyway? It’s supposed to create balanced matchups, and if they were balanced then carrying would be impossible because everyonme would be around your skill level.

If you’re a Plat level player and you get placed in Bronze, again, the placement system has failed and that’s yet another flaw with matchmaking.

I said this before and I’ll say it again, I’m currently stuck between Silver 3 and Gold 1. Every single time I fall to Silver 3, I go on a win streak until I get to mid Gold 1. MID Gold 1, meaning that I’m fully capable of winning games in Gold 1. I then go on an enormous loss streak (last night I went from Gold 1 all the way back down to being 9 points away from Silver 2) and then the cycle continues. I ended last night with a win streak of 6, most of which were total blowouts, in Silver 3. Almost Gold 1 again.

Please explain how this suggests to you that the matchmaker is putting people in divisions where they, accurately, “belong”, and it has nothing to do with luck of the draw when it comes to how good your teammates/enemies are. Because atm I’m sitting on a winstreak where my last game was 500-70ish. Doesn’t sound very accurate to me.

Fissure Of Woe – [lpe]
I Silent – Thief
…. That’s about it.

in PvP

Vykoz.7803

Youre fluctuating up and down some 200 pts continiously, between a few ranks.

Sounds to me like you have found your average mmr, untill the skill level of you or your opponents change, then you will move up / down.

I get that youre frustrated that youre not better than you thought you were and its hard to see when your eyes are full of tears, but please, its a pretty simple system used in many games.

(edited by Vykoz.7803)

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I have to say that the above post is quite similar to my own experiences thus far. With me, I seem to be trapped in mid-Silver (not that I really mind, since I always expected to be a Silver player, maaaaaybe Gold, at best). Like you, I’ll get on a winstreak that carries me all the way up to high Silver, once tantalizingly close to Gold, and then I’ll get a losing streak that drags me all the way back down to mid-Silver, sometimes teetering on the edge of low-Silver. It’s happened twice now, and from speaking to another guildie who’s in high-Silver, low-Gold, this is his exact same experience too.

in PvP

TheDarkSoul.1938

If I was “fluctuating” having reached my average MMR I’d be on a pattern much closer to win/loss/win/loss. I also wouldn’t be experiencing total utter blowout matches. I don’t know how many times I have to say this to you oh pro Vykoz: I’ve experienced matches in Gold 1 where I won by a landslide. I’ve also experienced matches in gold 1 where they’re fairly balanced, but I was still able to consistently win 1v1s and team fights.

If I have reached my limit then those landslide victories wouldn’t be happening. Neither would I be experienced blowout losses in a division lower than Gold 1, where as I’ve said, I’ve been getting blowout victories. How do you not understand that that suggests that something is very wrong with matchmaking?

My win streaks take me up to gold 1, where I am fully capable of winning games, and my loss streaks make me experience blowouts losses in a division LOWER than that. That’s poor matchmaking.

Fissure Of Woe – [lpe]
I Silent – Thief
…. That’s about it.

in PvP

Vykoz.7803

All the other games that have this system also has blowout matches as you call them, which ultimately is just that at that skill level both teams make a lot of mistakes, sometimes the mistakes that are made are so severe that it lead to blowout matches, even at top level.

Im sorry the gaming industry of the world, has not been able to create a better system to measure an individual players skill level in a team pvp game, but it is what we have.

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

All the other games that have this system also has blowout matches as you call them, which ultimately is just that at that skill level both teams make a lot of mistakes, sometimes the mistakes that are made are so severe that it lead to blowout matches, even at top level.

Im sorry the gaming industry of the world, has not been able to create a better system to measure an individual players skill level in a team pvp game, but it is what we have.

Would you stop trolling this guy? His complaint is completely legitimate and actually very common right now. He isn’t asking to be in a division higher than what he belongs. He just wants to enjoy good matches, but instead it feels like he is being fed wins up to gold 1, then he gets to enjoy some good matches before being fed losses back down to silver 3 and then the process repeats itself.

You can say the matchmaker isn’t intentionally creating unbalanced matches all you want, but through using Anet’s very own mmr system, I’ve seen firsthand that the system is indeed creating unbalanced matches. Currently, matchmaking will take about 4-6 players around the same mmr and split them up into two teams of 2-3 players that are evenly matched. It then takes 2-3 players with higher mmr and stacks them on one team, then takes 2-3 players with lower mmr and places them on the other team. Below is such an example.

Red Team MMR 1490/1408/1330/1294/1203 Average MMR 1345
Blue Team MMR 1367(me)/1363/1199/1130/904 Average MMR 1193

Tell me in all honesty you believe that was the best way to stack those two teams. Yes, I get that there are a ton of players who are in bronze that swear they should be legendary, sure troll those guys all day. But for the people that are perfectly fine with staying where they belong and just want to enjoy good matches instead of blowouts caused by these stacked matches, stop trolling them and spouting nonsense when you have no idea what is going on.

Gate of Madness

in PvP

Vykoz.7803

Show me a pvp game where you dont have blowout matches at all tiers of play, but especially at the lower brackets.

What youre asking for has not been done in any other pvp game, in games much larger than gw2 with much more people crying, how can you expect the gw2 team to do it?

I think its an awesome step that we got this and not the fake ranking system of before, even if its not perfect.

(edited by Vykoz.7803)

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

Show me a pvp game where you dont have blowout matches at all tiers of play, but especially at the lower brackets.

What youre asking for has not been done in any other pvp game, in games much larger than gw2 with much more people crying, how can you expect the gw2 team to do it?

I think its an awesome step that we got this and not the fake ranking system of before.

I actually had several great matches that were very close while playing in gold 1. These matches were great, had no idea who was going to win throughout most of the match. Also had some blowout matches, but in most of those I could plainly see where mistakes were made.

Then I had a day off work and played on a Monday morning, and noticed an insane difference. You could tell when the match started who was going to win. There was a highly noticeable skill gap between the teams. Nobody enjoys these types of matches.

So you can’t tell me that every match is going to be blowout and nothing can be done about it. That simply is not true. People simply want to stay at the rank where they have great matches. A blowout here and there is to be expected, and people know that. But entire streaks of blowouts that launch you into divisions you don’t belong due to matchmaking creating bad match-ups is what people hate. And it happens, I’ve seen the mmr of all the players in these matches, so I know for a fact these matches were stacked in favor of one team.

This has been the best season so far, but it clearly still needs work. You people quickly dismissing and insulting people with legitimate complaints isn’t helping the game get any better.

Gate of Madness

(edited by Shaogin.2679)