Reel in more competition, increase WTS prize.

in PvP

Posted by: Tontonino.9736

Tontonino.9736

I mean $50,000.00 is relatively low considering the amount of effort it takes for the players to be consistent in a team. And that is the TOTAL share

Make that kitten $200,000.00 and watch how many players will drool over that. I mean… We DO see the same. kittening. teams. every. year. The meta might change, but the play style is essentially the same.

Doing this along with HoT release would have been great. Many players out there are interested in competitive PvP, and this game could certainly offer a high level of it if it was maintained better in general and if there was a better reward for the highest level of PvP.

But hey, since lots of aspects have actually gotten worse over the past 2 years I suspect they’ll just let it ride out and rot after HoT

in PvP

Posted by: Belial.9350

Belial.9350

I don’t think that would make much different, 50000 is still a freaking huge amount of money FOR PLAYING A GAME.

in PvP

Tontonino.9736

I don’t think that would make much different, 50000 is still a freaking huge amount of money FOR PLAYING A GAME.

Oh, yes it would. At the end each player gets a little more than $10k if I’m not mistaken. That seriously isn’t much. Consider the amount of time it takes to prepare for the tournament. Of course it’s a game, but it’s also about time dedicated. And marketing IMO. This game has none of it. The HoT marketing is a complete joke.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

i don’t think prize is an issue, small community is

pvp was in bad state since launch and improved only very slowly andis still far from anything decent

w/o healthy pvp system/class balance you will just have players quit pvp, w/o players there is no pvp community -> no teams -> no competition

it is really just matter of population

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Allandiah.1534

Allandiah.1534

Oh, yes it would. At the end each player gets a little more than $10k if I’m not mistaken. That seriously isn’t much. Consider the amount of time it takes to prepare for the tournament. Of course it’s a game, but it’s also about time dedicated. And marketing IMO. This game has none of it. The HoT marketing is a complete joke.

You are wrong, the prize pool is 50k$, the winner gets only 25k, so 5k per each member. Not worth da effort.

in PvP

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

You are wrong, the prize pool is 50k$, the winner gets only 25k, so 5k per each member. Not worth da effort.

But $5,000 USD can buy a decent gaming computer!

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

in PvP

Posted by: Phil.8901

Phil.8901

In general, only popular sport can have big prizes.

It’s all depends on followers. How many they are.

in PvP

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

That money could have gone to a proper balance and debug pass of the game…

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

in PvP

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

GW2 will never reach mainstream e-sports level due to PvE being the main focus of this game.

If they separated the abilities from PvP and PvE, then I’d have a different opinion.

The decisions that ANet has made and continues to make with regards to PvP clearly shows me that they are flying by the seat of their pants. I look at some of these LinkedIn profiles of these designers and I scratch my head in disbelief that they’re making core design decisions to this game.

When they don’t do any market research into PvP, don’t listen to their customers, and continue to go silent on balance updates, there’s a reason why people stay away from GW2.

So increasing the prize money will do nothing in the long term for GW2 because there’s a lot of problems at the core of GW2 that need fixing first.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

50k per WTS.
1500 per monthly GO4.
500 per weekly GO4.

Effort? NA has no competition. It’s a steamroll for abjured.
EU has a bit of a competition but still the effort ain’t ‘hardcore pro’.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Tao.1234

Tao.1234

$50 000 for the same teams participating in every Tourney?

Isn’t that already a bit too much? xD

Suspended for telling Like it is.
Anet gave birth to Gw2 – Anet killed Gw2.
Murican law 2015.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

yeah…right…

http://www.dota2.com/international/overview/?l=english

Ark 2nd Account

in PvP

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Dota 2 is a real PvP E sports game, GW2 is not.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Please stop comparing Dota/LoL to GW2… How about comparing other Esport MMO PvP games to GW2 instead of comparing apples to oranges?

For the record, Prize Pool does not increase audiences. People don’t play sports because of prize money… get real.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Please stop comparing Dota/LoL to GW2… How about comparing other Esport MMO PvP games to GW2 instead of comparing apples to oranges?

For the record, Prize Pool does not increase audiences. People don’t play sports because of prize money… get real.

What other esport MMO games?

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in PvP

Posted by: Genoshock.2104

Genoshock.2104

To prove all you people wrong.

I have quit GW2 because of the low prize pool and have moved on to Dota 2 myself actually.

There you go chaps

There I said it

Prize pools bring in more gamers.

*Toodles. *

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Exactly. Where’s the other mmo games?

I do believe I see GW2 in the attatchment below. We’re not doing bad considering the genre we’re in. People are so caught up in other Esports games that they forget what game type GW2 is.

Attachments:

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: GrandHaven.1052

GrandHaven.1052

To prove all you people wrong.

I have quit GW2 because of the low prize pool and have moved on to Dota 2 myself actually.

There you go chaps

There I said it

Prize pools bring in more gamers.

*Toodles. *

So excessive bugs and bad balance doesn’t bother you?

WEEEEELLLL should probably note dota balance is pretty poor too. At least its not near as buggy and better in every other way when it comes to competitive play.

Curious though, why not League? Competitively is the best of the best, a lot more balance, constant balance and fixing, constant improvement. Larger prizes but I would guess harder to “make a name” or make money in. Or is that the point?

in PvP

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

The prize pool has nothing to do with it. It’s the playerbase that needs improving. Hard to entice people to try the game when nothing changes for years at a time.

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Exactly. Where’s the other mmo games?

I do believe I see GW2 in the attatchment below. We’re not doing bad considering the genre we’re in. People are so caught up in other Esports games that they forget what game type GW2 is.

To be honest, most PvP games nowadays are free to play Or cost less than a pizza (CS:GO).

In the past, Arena Net had separate buy for those who wanted just PvP game, not PvE, with reduced price.

Considering that now we have vastly greater monetization than GW1 via Gemstore, I could think of separated Game Client just for PvP which would either be like 10$ at most or just free.

That wouldn’t say “Oh, GW2 is going f2p!”, because game would still be that 50$ or so. It would only make PvP, which is separated mode already with it’s own rewards like PvP tracks, free for all.

I believe they considered and hopefully still do consider that option.
It would give PvP numbers huge spike, that’s for sure.

But with greater numbers come greater responsibility
And more trolls/tryhards/kids. But that’s another story.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in PvP

butch.8136

Gw2 pvp is not ready for F2P. Why attract people that’ll leave soon after because there is no competitive infrastructure.

First the infrastructure than you can do w/e you want to attract people.
We need to retain players.

in PvP

Posted by: JaeleCt.3967

JaeleCt.3967

GW is already f2p… you buy it once and you’re done.

in PvP

butch.8136

GW is already f2p… you buy it once and you’re done.

Emphasis on ‘buy’.

in PvP

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

First , there is no one watching these big tourneys

ToL peaked under 5k viewers… it couldn’t even beat one runescape streamer that was doing PvP on freaking RUNESCAPE.

Why don’t people watch? because its not FUN TO WATCH.

NO ONE has a clue wats going UNLESS you play sPvP for yourself
The average PvE player is clueless and not going to watch.

Literally the ONLY ones watching gw2 tourneys are the spvp players themselves

NO outsiders, NO ingame players or anything.

Its EASY to watch a dota 2 game because you can tell whats going on.

GW2 sPvP , its just to rapid and theirs no good specator mode. You have points/nodes all over the place, Players fighting all over the players, The average viewers has no clue what skills are being spammed. its very fast paced and so flashy sometimes that you cant even see if someone is down!

GW2 sPvP is not fun to watch, nor is it easy to watch, for the average gamer and GW2 PvE players. That right there answers the question on GW2 as an e-sport. Unless this changes, sPvP dream of an esport is dead. .BLU42, One of the biggest things going for GW2 sPvP scene left knowing this is not going to change. Its strictly on anet to fix it, but after 3 years, hopes are dwindling.

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

Competition only shows for scrims and tournies. Lower the ESL prize to 10,000 dollars and pay some smhuk 40 grand a year to balance the game?

in PvP

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

lol
The problem with PvP is its infrastructure, and not the gigantic waste of money that is WTS, which has a prize pool even larger than bigger and better esports games but I’ve already written 10 different wall of texts about that with no response

Waho.. ah kitten it

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in PvP

SkiTz.4590

lol
The problem with PvP is its infrastructure, and not the gigantic waste of money that is WTS, which has a prize pool even larger than bigger and better esports games but I’ve already written 10 different wall of texts about that with no response

Waho.. ah kitten it

VeeWee even getting tired of this kitten lol.
I agree the infrastucture is kitten, specator mode is kitten, sPvP in general is becoming less and less popular.

No one watches sPvP tournaments except the sPvP community themselves
No WvW / PvE player and no general mmorpg pvp player watches. Its boring to watch and you can’t follow it and unless you play pvp constantly, you won’t understand what the kitten is going on in the game. Casters are kitten. BLU42 is gone , the best thing gw2’s pvp scene had going.

Anet can dump whatever prize money they want, it’s not going to change the amount of ppl that watch or care enough to join gw2’s pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Genoshock.2104

Genoshock.2104

With regards to not knowing what is going on in GW2, I have no clue what was going on in Dota 2 until I played a few matches, even after watching TI5 for a few days.

in PvP

SkiTz.4590

With regards to not knowing what is going on in GW2, I have no clue what was going on in Dota 2 until I played a few matches, even after watching TI5 for a few days.

Yea but its easier to follow MOBA and casters can do a MUCH better job explaining dota2 matches.

You can’t do that in GW2 pvp because its just too fast paced. Theres usually action on each nodes where you keep having to see different perspectives.

Theres just TOO much to follow in GW2 in order to be fun to watch.

Viewers cannot keep up with rotations , whats going on at each node, whos about to start a burst rotation, whos getting targeted, etc etc. Its too much action and that makes it hard to follow.

Viewers try to listen to the casters who are usually talking way to fast because theres too much action and at the same time, they are trying to watch the stream in an attempt to understand what the casters are talking about. Guaranteed the avg viewers will get confused and say “I have no idea whats going on, time to watch a different game” unless you play sPvP often.

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

Whoa whoa calm down. Suggesting the game be casualized to retain players when it doesnt have proper ladders a d other basic types of affirmation is insane.

in PvP

Posted by: Brix.8461

Brix.8461

To people saying they should use the prize money on balancing the game, please understand that they will NEVER take money from balance and development and use it for a tournament prize pool. It’s two completely different budgets.

Global Social Media, ESL
http://eslgaming.com

in PvP

Posted by: tuck.2719

tuck.2719

Yea but its easier to follow MOBA and casters can do a MUCH better job explaining dota2 matches.

You can’t do that in GW2 pvp because its just too fast paced. Theres usually action on each nodes where you keep having to see different perspectives.

Theres just TOO much to follow in GW2 in order to be fun to watch.

Viewers cannot keep up with rotations , whats going on at each node, whos about to start a burst rotation, whos getting targeted, etc etc. Its too much action and that makes it hard to follow.

Viewers try to listen to the casters who are usually talking way to fast because theres too much action and at the same time, they are trying to watch the stream in an attempt to understand what the casters are talking about. Guaranteed the avg viewers will get confused and say “I have no idea whats going on, time to watch a different game” unless you play sPvP often.

I’d love to see the casting format improved. Maybe offer multiple views (each control point, the map, and the current switchable focus)? I have no idea whether this would be feasible, but it would be really helpful to be able to get a feel for the overall flow at all times.

Also some way to individually spectate by broadcasting the gameplay would be great, although I assume some delay would need to be worked in.

in PvP

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

First , there is no one watching these big tourneys

ToL peaked under 5k viewers… it couldn’t even beat one runescape streamer that was doing PvP on freaking RUNESCAPE.

Why don’t people watch? because its not FUN TO WATCH.

NO ONE has a clue wats going UNLESS you play sPvP for yourself
The average PvE player is clueless and not going to watch.

Literally the ONLY ones watching gw2 tourneys are the spvp players themselves

NO outsiders, NO ingame players or anything.

Its EASY to watch a dota 2 game because you can tell whats going on.

GW2 sPvP , its just to rapid and theirs no good specator mode. You have points/nodes all over the place, Players fighting all over the players, The average viewers has no clue what skills are being spammed. its very fast paced and so flashy sometimes that you cant even see if someone is down!

GW2 sPvP is not fun to watch, nor is it easy to watch, for the average gamer and GW2 PvE players. That right there answers the question on GW2 as an e-sport. Unless this changes, sPvP dream of an esport is dead. .BLU42, One of the biggest things going for GW2 sPvP scene left knowing this is not going to change. Its strictly on anet to fix it, but after 3 years, hopes are dwindling.

Expectator mode could be better, the combat changing to something easier to understand will down the quality of combat.

In my logic for a bigger pvp first point should be the retention of the community (mid and low first) it have, second expanding the bases. Third making top pvp more rewarding.

The reasons:

• Big population with low retention rate = they come and leave after a small amount of time.
  • High prizes, with low community:

Only a small amount of people are pros and would join, the community will be small= litle people watching.

The small comunity will discourage a lot of pro gamers of other games to join, since it will mean less competition to improve before they go pro level in gw2. Overall there will be more top teams, but not a huge change.

Meaning you need retention rate for getting a bigger comunity and a bigger comunity to have a esport that have views and more pros -.- .

What they have done to get more retention:

• Better pvp rewards.

What they will do with HoT for retention and making a bigger comunity

• We are getting Fortress, that will catter to some pve people mostly.
  • Leaderboards.
  • Leagues (need to have drop leagues, that way it can help fmore in fixing match making).
  • Exclusive pvp rewards.
  • In general more retention in a growing game can help the comunity of pvp to grow, so the expansion and more retention count towards it.

What they need to do additionaly for more retention:

• Balance (not having this can send a lot of pros out if they come to the game).
    What they need to do for both a bigger comunity and retention:
  • More game modes for mid and low players mostly (top playing always need some stability). (I dont see fortress olving this issue in a good %).

Later comes the increase in prizes.

(edited by Lucius.2140)

in PvP

Tontonino.9736

Then I say increase it to $1,000,000.00.

in PvP

Posted by: Magira.6390

Magira.6390

It’s a good idea to raise prices. But not only for WTS but also for all other forms of gaming, which are favored by elitists. Prizes for Ranked are also urgently needed.

ArenaNet has does everything to ban the elitists from the “normal” PVP. Elitists are very unpleasant contemporaries, everything must be done to keep them away from the casual PVP. Otherwise, they ruin the fun of the game for all, and that hurts the game costs more than prices.

For a significant increase and expansion of the prize money!