Remove all rewards from PVP.

in PvP

Posted by: Cristobal.8640

Cristobal.8640

I enjoy pvp for its own sake and am tired of the kids who don’t, making endless threads about reward this reward thas. Its beyond sad to read some of them, complaining about being “forced” to grind pvp for some kitten they don’t even really want but still need to “complete” something. I think this is pathologic, like people who straight admit they want to have skins and have those skins be hard to get so that almost nobody else does, so they can feel SPECIAL!.

Remove everything so that only those who play for the fun of the activity itself remain. It’s a kittening chore to delete all the boxes within boxes and endless trash. Even the chest reward icons popping right above the minimap… So bad.

in PvP

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

And all the sudden you get 10 total people q’ed at peak times… (exaggerated, in case you don’t catch the sarcasm )

People will complain about rewards locked behind specific content no matter what, “I don’t want to do raids, wvw, fractals, dungeons, etc. for the sake of a skin”

Rather than removing the reward, perhaps making it so they can at least get a couple tiers of rewards via unranked, so they can learn without affecting ranked, and after they build up experience, they’ll at least not be a super detriment to a team in ranked.

As far as the mentality of “needing” a skin or completion, yea, that’s kind of what gaming in general has gotten to, people want goals, and goals are the way games maintain their player base, remove all rewards, remove all goals, lose most of your player base.

in PvP

Cristobal.8640

But more than 10 people play League of Legends for example, a purely PVP game that offers no rewards other than one currency which is only used to purchase the equivalent to our runes, sigils and traits. Fine if they wan’t to make elite specs or something locked in pvp, and unlockable through play or something like that, but I think people would still play League if they had all of their “runes sigils and traits” free and gave no rewards at the end of matches. Because its fun. I know people are supposed to be stupid etc but come on, the % of the population that plays the game to have fun in the activity of playing itself can’t be that low…

in PvP

Posted by: illo.5106

illo.5106

And all the sudden you get 10 total people q’ed at peak times… (exaggerated, in case you don’t catch the sarcasm )

At least those people actually want to play pvp.

What I got today as team mates in SoloQ was 60+ % of the time … not even below average. Since I started playing PvP (in GW2)again, I really came back to raging at my monitor. Not because of losing, but because HOW you are losing.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

add GW1 RA, that was all about the pvp, i don’t remember any rewards, but it was fun all day n all nite

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

But more than 10 people play League of Legends for example, a purely PVP game that offers no rewards other than one currency which is only used to purchase the equivalent to our runes, sigils and traits. Fine if they wan’t to make elite specs or something locked in pvp, and unlockable through play or something like that, but I think people would still play League if they had all of their “runes sigils and traits” free and gave no rewards at the end of matches. Because its fun. I know people are supposed to be stupid etc but come on, the % of the population that plays the game to have fun in the activity of playing itself can’t be that low…

LoL and GW2 are two very different games. Not to mention, LoL is a pure PvP game. I don’t think there are that many people who play GW2 for the PvP alone.(probably more than ten though)

Not to mention the reason PvP has rewards is because PvP and WvW players QQed about having to play game modes they didn’t like so they could have certain items e.g. Legendary weapons etc.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

in PvP

Posted by: PhiL.7320

PhiL.7320

I think that having more variety to GW2 pvp would be excellent (Random Arenas were endlessly fun, I agree) but the rewards expand the matchmaking playerbase so that players like me that are terrible at pvp but still enjoy it and want to get better have people to play against that won’t just roflstomp them. Which has happened lately, as the diamond tier players climb out of amber again. A lack of rewards would make pvp less enticing, especially as it makes losing less frustrating (at least I got something out of a 100-500 game). Maybe that doesn’t matter as much to some players, but my win rate is ~40% (if I am optimistic. It’s probably closer to 30)

in PvP

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

Yea, and I do agree, that losing games due to sheer ineptitude of teammates is aggravating.
But, I’d blame that more on the fact that everyone who wants the reward HAS to do ranked, no matter how experienced, and they have no reason to do unranked if theyre only pvping for rewards.
As far as LoL, was fun for a while for me, but got old fast.
I enjoy PvP, but I also enjoy getting rewards, and I like getting skins, why? Who knows, who really knows lol…..

in PvP

Cristobal.8640

I think that having more variety to GW2 pvp would be excellent (Random Arenas were endlessly fun, I agree) but the rewards expand the matchmaking playerbase so that players like me that are terrible at pvp but still enjoy it and want to get better have people to play against that won’t just roflstomp them. Which has happened lately, as the diamond tier players climb out of amber again. A lack of rewards would make pvp less enticing, especially as it makes losing less frustrating (at least I got something out of a 100-500 game). Maybe that doesn’t matter as much to some players, but my win rate is ~40% (if I am optimistic. It’s probably closer to 30)

I honestly can’t understand this attitude… You say it makes losing less frustrating because you get “something”, and you imply you would get nothing if they didn’t gave a reward… Is this serious? How about the game you just played, is that nothing? How is that nothing and some imaginary chests are something? Have you lost your mind?

in PvP

BrotherBelial.3094

I honestly can’t understand this attitude… You say it makes losing less frustrating because you get “something”, and you imply you would get nothing if they didn’t gave a reward… Is this serious? How about the game you just played, is that nothing? How is that nothing and some imaginary chests are something? Have you lost your mind?

Some people like a carrot on a stick. Long gone are the days of playing a PvP game for the “fun” of it. They went as soon as games started adding “gear” to there PvP, like CoD etc. Games where skill was all you needed are back in the 80’s, 90’s and early 00’s.

AvP2 and Halo/2 on the PC are the last games I played to the “fun” of playing PvP.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

Never remove options to your player base. (Anet should learn about this…)

But… give us the possibilities to not have the rewards.

So rewards grinder got all the crap to destroy, while the other can opt out the reward system.

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Would this extend to finishers aswell? It is an exclusive reward to PvP.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Cristobal.8640

I would make something like all skins, finishers, runes traits dyes etc unlocked in pvp, maybe not the gem store skins and some kitten like that so anet actually considers it, and no rewards.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I would delete finishers as a mechanic and give everyone a simple, clearly visibile but non-obstructive small finisher. They made auras invisible but kept this bullkitten…

in PvP

Posted by: PhiL.7320

PhiL.7320

Well! Honestly, a lot of pvp games that I’m in tend to be outright stomps, one way or another. Getting totally rolled isn’t fun. Period. I’ve a feeling that most people that ask for rewards removed from pvp have a better experience than those who prefer them. It’s a game for everyone, not just the people that are ‘good enough to hang’. If you’re really as good as you think you are, then chances are that you won’t be running with the pve people that just want the rewards anyway.

in PvP

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Any skins should be unlockable from all game mode. This way ppl wouldn’t have to get along mass exodus of players who have no business being in a game mode they don’t like anyway.

in PvP

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I think it’;s fair for PvP to reward a quantity of loot that is equivalent to time spent in other modes, so that players who enjoy PvP don’t “fall behind” players that are playing other content, but I totally agree that there should be no loot that is ONLY available via PvP, that players who do NOT enjoy PvP should never feel bribed into PvPing anyway because the loot is only available there.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in PvP

Cristobal.8640

Why does it has to be a gamemode “for everyone”? Wouldn’t it be better if it was strictly for those who find it rewarding enough by itself? This does not equal highly skilled.

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

Why does it has to be a gamemode “for everyone”? Wouldn’t it be better if it was strictly for those who find it rewarding enough by itself? This does not equal highly skilled.

If they weant everyone to play (which they seem to) then it does need to be “for everyone.” If they are content with it only being “for” those who very much like the current gameplay experience, then they need to stop providing any reasons for other people to do it, like unique rewards.

They can have one or the other, but trying for both is just an automatic failure, like a low MMR solo-queue match.

done by now.”

in PvP

BrotherBelial.3094

I see you missed the memo, allow me to explain.

ANet wants GW2 PvP to become an ESport. So they want as many people playing as possible. So they make it so you can gain things from playing PvP, so people try it. Now if people like it they keep playing. Maybe they get better, maybe they enjoy it and get there friends to play it. ANet wins. They also want as many people playing as possible to gain new talent. The current top PvP teams will not be playing GW2 forever. So they need new teams and new blood for there ESports.

ANet really couldn’t give a monkeys if you don’t like that PvP has a reward. As long as you play, they don’t care.

And remember, ESports.

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

add GW1 RA, that was all about the pvp, i don’t remember any rewards, but it was fun all day n all nite

Speak for yourself, I worked for my Gladiator 6 :P

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

BrotherBelial.3094

Speak for yourself, I worked for my Gladiator 6 :P

Yeah, GW1, where you had to work for your titles.

in PvP

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

Just needs new options. New options which have been needed for a looooooong time…

Upon items entering your inventory:

• Auto-salvage anything of quality equal to or below <select:{fine,basic,masterwork,rare,exotic,ascended}>
  • Auto-<select:{salvage,delete}> salvageable trophies
  • Auto-deposit collectibles
EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in PvP

Ohoni.6057

ANet wants GW2 PvP to become an ESport. So they want as many people playing as possible. So they make it so you can gain things from playing PvP, so people try it. Now if people like it they keep playing. Maybe they get better, maybe they enjoy it and get there friends to play it. ANet wins. They also want as many people playing as possible to gain new talent. The current top PvP teams will not be playing GW2 forever. So they need new teams and new blood for there ESports.

ANet really couldn’t give a monkeys if you don’t like that PvP has a reward. As long as you play, they don’t care.

That might be their mindset, but it’s an awful one, because encouraging players to continue playing something that they are not enjoying ultimately burns them out and causes them to quit a game that they might otherwise stick with for the long term.

It’s ok to have rewards that encourage you to try a new activity, but any such rewards should be easy to get, like free samples at the grocery. Try the activity for an hour or two, tops, and you get that unique reward and can choose to move on if you aren’t enjoying yourself. Forcing players to keep playing after they’ve already had the chance to decide whether they enjoy the activity or not benefits no one.

Now some will come back with “well you just want everything easy,” but of course I didn’t say anything of the sort. There should be long term goals that take a lot of time and effort, they just should never be exclusive to one specific thing, so that if you don’t enjoy that thing, you can spend your time and effort elsewhere and still get the goal you wanted.

Now some will say “but [item X] currently only drops from [content Y]!” To which the obvious response is that two wrongs don’t make a right, and if there are any items in the game that can only be earned through a single activity, and you don’t enjoy that activity, push for that item to be available elsewhere, not for even more items to be locked behind unpleasant content.

Ultimately, allowing players to play the parts of the game they enjoy is the best way to go. Bribing them to play parts that they do not enjoy benefits no one.

done by now.”