Remove laurels from pvp

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: SweetPotato.7456

SweetPotato.7456

You mean like this? Look at the top scorers rank . I was the rank 7. and look at the rank 6.

The point I am trying to make is, not all pve-er are noobs in pvp. Please do not remove laurels from pvp, I am having lots of fun with solo-q, might shift my play style in the future too.

Attachments:

Guild Wars 2 Forever

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: SHAKA ZULU.3128

SHAKA ZULU.3128

These new people don’t want to be here. They don’t want to play sPvP, they don’t care to learn, and they have very little skill. The only reason they are playing in tournaments is to get their 10 Extra Laurels this month. As soon as they have it, they’re gone.

This bothers me. I came back to sPvP for the laurels after having stopped playing it a few months ago because it felt like I was in a CoD lobby on XBL every single match I was in. Your community probably won’t keep very many new players because most of you are horrendously rude in game. A lot of you are very good and I wish I could learn from you, but getting torn down 5 seconds into the match for being a rank 7 doesn’t make me want to communicate or cooperate with you. If you even make it to the point of insulting me that is- most just go AFK completely when they’re not winning with PuGs. Great attitudes. Don’t want to teach people? Fine. But don’t whine when your matches are empty and the noobs don’t know how to play.

So I will probably will stop playing sPvP again, but it sure as kitten isn’t because I got my laurels. I like sPvP, but going by the tone of this forum and in game experience, clearly none of you have the patience for someone trying to learn and this goes for tournaments and regular vanilla matches.

love,

a guardian from k[Ai]neng

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Nilgoow.1037

Nilgoow.1037

So it turns out that the people who grinded hotjoin for the last 7 months aren’t actually good? Total shocker.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

You mean like this? Look at the top scorers rank . I was the rank 7. and look at the rank 6.

The point I am trying to make is, not all pve-er are noobs in pvp. Please do not remove laurels from pvp, I am having lots of fun with solo-q, might shift my play style in the future too.

Well points don’t mean anything in tournament play. And Rangers aren’t normally Roamers. But the fact that you have 8 Cap Points, 1 Defend, 3 Neutralizes, and 7 Communes and Only 4 Kills says it all. Means that you didn’t defend a spot, and weren’t there when a node got turned over to neutral most of the time. Meaning you jumped on the node and capped it while a teammate was already capping it. In tournament play double capping is alway the wrong thing to do. Oh yeah, and you communed with the ferocity buffs a lot. This screenshot doesn’t show what you’re trying to prove.

Plus few high rank players actually play Warrior at a super high skill level because its arguably the worst class in sPvP at the moment. Those 40 something Wars are hot join heroes for all we know.

(edited by Theplayboy.6417)

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Khyras.8021

Khyras.8021

I, for one, am having fun. Lot of wins today as solo queue.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Hilarious. Hopefully you’ll get the joke soon.

And hopefully you will soon realize that you need players like us (people who like to PvP but simply don’t PvP in guild wars 2), for PvP to continuaing to have any value or support.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Lady Sara Goldheart.2764

Lady Sara Goldheart.2764

Keep the laurels in, they are a good change. I am really happy to be able to get them through my daily now. And others are happy most likely too.

The issue here are not the laurels but it is the MMR and also the bad infrastructure.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

Keep the laurels in, they are a good change. I am really happy to be able to get them through my daily now. And others are happy most likely too.

The issue here are not the laurels but it is the MMR and also the bad infrastructure.

qft, the day they fix matchmaking, will be a glorious day for this game

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Vajra.3914

Vajra.3914

Simply make separate rooms for soloq and premade, that would solve a lot of problems.

Or make premade level 70 effective, that would place them in a way they have actualy to put some efforts.

(edited by Vajra.3914)

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Matchmaking (If it even exists) is just kittened….with our premade we go from roflstomping 3 pugs in a row to good fights vs others 45+ premades all of this without a logical connection…

Example:

1 – vs pugs 500 – <150
2 – vs pugs again…hot knife through butter…
3 – oh thanks god…nice team, let’s suppose we win something like 500-400

oh so we’re finally starting to get good ones…we won so maybe we get even better ppl..

4 – another suicide pug

and so on…totally random..

….i mean…wtf?

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Archaon.6245

You know points mean nothing in tpvp right?

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Points show the time spent playing pvp. Not very accurately, but they do. New pvp players will have very low points naturally. That’s enough to support his argument.

It’s a bit sad, however, that there is some baseless elitism around here.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

SweetPotato.7456

You weren’t there in that particular game, did you? these players were defending one spot, if you look at the rank 6 on the other team, they are smart, they capture node, if I hadn’t turn those back to my color and go for the easy kill, we would have lost.

Guild Wars 2 Forever

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Archaon.6245

Points show the time spent playing pvp. Not very accurately, but they do. New pvp players will have very low points naturally. That’s enough to support his argument.

It’s a bit sad, however, that there is some baseless elitism around here.

…wtf? Score shows nothing…dps have higher scores, bunkers have really low but it means nothing at the end of the match…a bunker can make you team win scoring 10 points for just holding mid alone for the whole match, you didn’t get my point…if you mean rank then yes, even if he’s an idiot who just farmed his rank in hotzerg a r30 would ever be better than a r5 no matter what…if a low rank gets higher score at the end of the match it doesn’t mean he’s better, if you look at hotjoin ppl with high scores are usually the ones who zerg all day without knowing how the kitten pvp is meant to be played…if you try to play good in hotjoin you’re not gonna get top scores for sure, even if you’re better than the rest of you team toghether…

btw i bet you were with a pew pew ranger (Those spamming sbow with quickness) am i wrong?

(edited by Archaon.6245)

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

DiogoSilva.7089

Someone who have, say, a champion pvp title, won’t merely be at rank 6 or rank 7. Rank might mean nothing most of the time, but in this specific case, when it’s low enough, it’s easy to determine that a person has not had enough experience at pvp yet. So if players with extremely low and quick to obtain ranks can play well, it supprts his point that new players can be good at pvp.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Archaon.6245

Someone who have, say, a champion pvp title, won’t merely be at rank 6 or rank 7. Rank might mean nothing most of the time, but in this specific case, when it’s low enough, it’s easy to determine that a person has not had enough experience at pvp yet. So if players with extremely low and quick to obtain ranks can play well, it supprts his point that new players can be good at pvp.

Just for you to know…quick ranks mean hotjoin…hotjoin means you’re bad…even if you are r40 if you just made it in hotjoin pretty much anyone even much lower (Well not r10 for sure lol..more likely r30+) but who did it in tpvp would roflstomp you anyday…more than ranks the only thing that actually matters a bit in tpvp are champion titles because you get them after 150 tourney wins using a specific class so you actually have to win tourneys to get them….waiting for some new tpvp title maybe…

(edited by Archaon.6245)

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

So many afkers since the patch sigh

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

DiogoSilva.7089

@Archaon, I think you’re missing my point. I’m just stating that a player who is rank 7 is almost always a new pvp player. Let’s do the math:

150 tourney wins for the champion title gives 30.000 points of rank from the final award alone.

Rank 7 = 5.000 points required to get there, which is about 25 tourney matches won with 0 points, or around 15-25 tourneys won when taking into consideration mid-match points. Even lower when taking into account all losed matches, and even less when taking into account all hotjoin matches.

So yes, it’s easy to assume that a rank 7 player is a new player, even if they have never touched hotjoin.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Empiren.6401

Empiren.6401

Uh……is this a tournament? Because you just got super carried.

Yet another reason why people don’t understand tournaments. Personal gloy does not automatically equate to being good. This is the most common mistake by pve’ers i’ve seen.

And it really depresses me that people think they are better than the players who defend the points. Cap/leave will always get you more points than staying around to defend.

Also you only won by 40? Against that low ranks? man so bad.(4v5 even)

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Rank

Even if you didn’t play hotjoin, still a complete newbie.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Archaon.6245

@Archaon, I think you’re missing my point. I’m just stating that a player who is rank 7 is almost always a new pvp player. Let’s do the math:

150 tourney wins for the champion title gives 30.000 points of rank from the final award alone.

Rank 7 = 5.000 points required to get there, which is about 25 tourney matches won with 0 points, or around 15-25 tourneys won when taking into consideration mid-match points. Even lower when taking into account all losed matches, and even less when taking into account all hotjoin matches.

So yes, it’s easy to assume that a rank 7 player is a new player, even if they have never touched hotjoin.

That’s for sure…and for sure a r<10 is pretty much dead meat in tpvp, but everyone starts from being dead meat so it’s normal, all i said is that end match score means nothing…scoring more points than a r40 (Like in that screenshot) doesn’t mean you’re better than him…at all…as i said before a mid bunker could save you kitten for the whole match scoring less than 50 pnts, but he still saved your kitten and maybe he did better than the other 4 with 3 times his points…

(edited by Archaon.6245)

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Empiren.6401

That’s for sure…and for sure a r<10 is pretty much dead meat in tpvp, but everyone starts from being dead meat so it’s normal, all i said is that end match score means nothing…scoring more points than a r40 (Like in that screenshot) doesn’t mean you’re better than him…at all…as i said before a mid bunker could save you kitten for the whole match scoring less than 50 pnts, but he still saved your kitten and maybe he did better than the other 4 with 3 times his points…

You see this is a huge mistake.

Its not normal, you should practice before queing up for tournies. This is usually done in hotjoin and refined for tournies. What pve people do(for laurels now) is just get into the mist and go straight to the tournie que.

Seriously, I’ve seen so many people who didn’t even bother to change runes or utilities just waltz right in like its just a matter of time before he was carried.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Archaon.6245

Maybe their fifth was lowell and he just left after end xD

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

YOu can even earn points on the scoreboard for doing bad things. Like 2 people capping homepoint when nobodys around. Both of you wil earn points, but its a poor utilization of resources as 1 of u should be helping somewhere else.
Scoreboard doesn’t accurately represent contribution , even a little bit.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Flipside.4152

Flipside.4152

I’m a veteran pvp player but I mainly do pve/wvw now since coming from gw1, which had the best PvP game in MMOs in my opinion, I was pretty bummed out that gw2 did not live up to its structure PvP legacy. I welcome this change to get some new blood into the game mode, I don’t care if it’s just a temporary thing with the laurels, new blood is new blood. Let the PvErs have their rewards to give them incentive to at least try something new and bring life back to a dying game mode. Enough of this elitist BS. Its what killed GW1’s PvP in the first place.

Just my 2 cents.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Asomal.6453

Asomal.6453

I’m a veteran pvp player but I mainly do pve/wvw now since coming from gw1, which had the best PvP game in MMOs in my opinion, I was pretty bummed out that gw2 did not live up to its structure PvP legacy. I welcome this change to get some new blood into the game mode, I don’t care if it’s just a temporary thing with the laurels, new blood is new blood. Let the PvErs have their rewards to give them incentive to at least try something new and bring life back to a dying game mode. Enough of this elitist BS. Its what killed GW1’s PvP in the first place.

Just my 2 cents.

Problem is, they’ll never have their reward alone. They must be carried to the victory in order to do so (the newbies in PVP). Some doesn’t even try to accomplish it, they just want their laurels. Now, I don’t have any problem with this reward addition in PVP, but you can’t really expect a veteran solo queuer to carry 4 -r20 lowbies against a r30+ team, or even a premade.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Flipside.4152

Flipside.4152

Just my 2 cents.

Problem is, they’ll never have their reward alone. They must be carried to the victory in order to do so (the newbies in PVP). Some doesn’t even try to accomplish it, they just want their laurels. Now, I don’t have any problem with this reward addition in PVP, but you can’t really expect a veteran solo queuer to carry 4 -r20 lowbies against a r30+ team, or even a premade.

Well that is a problem, so unless they fix the ladders segragating solo queue tourneys from premades it will always be present. Removing laurels will only further bleed the playerbase in spvp with no new players going in. I suggest we keep it and just put in pvp skins that can be bought using laurels so appease some of the spvp die hards who dont pve so they have something to use em on.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Faeyd.5094

Faeyd.5094

Or make people who never played before have the worst rating possible. Solo Q is a nightmare atm with all the people with no clue how to play just doing their daily/monthly. This is going to become more common I think.

Laurels in PVP was an awesome idea or I would never get any. I have only solo q’d since they introduced them and win rate has been 50/50. That includes 2 wins vs premades. You do have to endure complete spaz play sometimes, but rough and smooth you know.

Tiger

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Its not normal, you should practice before queing up for tournies. This is usually done in hotjoin and refined for tournies. What pve people do(for laurels now) is just get into the mist and go straight to the tournie que.

Seriously, I’ve seen so many people who didn’t even bother to change runes or utilities just waltz right in like its just a matter of time before he was carried.

Are you seriously saying that hotjoin is training you to be a better tournament player? One is a clusterkitten zerg game were the biggest DPS and skill spaming wins and the other requires skill, team coordination and defensive specs to hold the points as much as possible.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: PinCushion.7390

PinCushion.7390

I tried sPvP during beta and at release. I hated it intensely and never went back. Then I read that I could get laurels for doing my PvP Monthly, so I went to the mists and gave it another try. After a few hours of frustration and getting totally stomped most matches by premade teams I started to get how the matches worked and did some tweaking to my build to provide a bit more support and defense to my team. I did a few more hotjoins to iron the kinks out, and decided to give the solo queue tournaments a try. My PUG team got stomped, but this time I did something very bad.

We were losing so bad that I just stayed dead and watched the enemy team for a bit to see how they were beating us so well. I was impressed, and they showed some fairly amazing teamwork. I’d never seen anything like that in WvW or Dungeons. These guys knew each other’s builds inside and out, and worked remarkably well together.

Now, I actually kind of like PvP and will probably keep doing. It’s unlikely that I’ll join a guild or be part of any premade team, but the laurel Carrot on a Stick has drawn me into a portion of the game that I had totally written off as a waste of time. In addition, fighting against teams that far outmatch my own skill level has given me an opportunity to learn different ways that professions can work together that I never would have been exposed to otherwise.

And all I had to do was feed some dudes an easy win in tPvP a few times.

I like the change, and hope it sticks around. Not everyone is “just in it for their monthly,” though that might be why they tried it the first time.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

No one plays SPvP. People QQ about not having any other players. People start playing SPvP for laurels. People start QQ about not having any good people to play with.

No making these folks happy.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

SweetPotato.7456

Uh……is this a tournament? Because you just got super carried.

Yet another reason why people don’t understand tournaments. Personal gloy does not automatically equate to being good. This is the most common mistake by pve’ers i’ve seen.

And it really depresses me that people think they are better than the players who defend the points. Cap/leave will always get you more points than staying around to defend.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Rank

Even if you didn’t play hotjoin, still a complete newbie.

Yes it was a Tournament. No, I don’t think I am better, that was to show, that, even when new players join spvp, they know what to do. Even if they don’t because players in the mist don’t tell you anything, even when you ask nicely, and having this kind of solo-queue is exactly how new players gonna learn.

Yes, I was sort of protected, however, I would not exactly say carried by the other 4 players, because I was the one running around capping and communting for the points to keep going, if you look at the screenshot, the other team were 39 points behind, and look at what ranks they are. They are ranked even lower, for them to be able to reach that point against 4x rank 40+ players, in a situation like that, you should know better what the game was like, killing spree, because easy prey, the 4 kills on me was because some players were chasing me while I was trying to get to other nodes, I had to fight them off. that, in my humble opinion, is the way the game should be played, you fight when you need to, not like some thief, hiding to sprung on you, sometime when the game is over they are still trying to kill you because they failed at surprise attacks. Its just hilarious when you do that.

So far, mesmer is the hardest to counter. I hate them :P

Edit:
Lastly, solo-queue = random players, everyone knows that, if random players are what you don’t like, why are you solo queuing?

Guild Wars 2 Forever

(edited by SweetPotato.7456)

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

It’s just a bug, will be gone next month.

And why dailies botehr you? They are hotjoin-doable.

Snow Crows [SC]

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Rerroll.9083

Rerroll.9083

I tried sPvP during beta and at release. I hated it intensely and never went back. Then I read that I could get laurels for doing my PvP Monthly, so I went to the mists and gave it another try. After a few hours of frustration and getting totally stomped most matches by premade teams I started to get how the matches worked and did some tweaking to my build to provide a bit more support and defense to my team. I did a few more hotjoins to iron the kinks out, and decided to give the solo queue tournaments a try. My PUG team got stomped, but this time I did something very bad.

We were losing so bad that I just stayed dead and watched the enemy team for a bit to see how they were beating us so well. I was impressed, and they showed some fairly amazing teamwork. I’d never seen anything like that in WvW or Dungeons. These guys knew each other’s builds inside and out, and worked remarkably well together.

Now, I actually kind of like PvP and will probably keep doing. It’s unlikely that I’ll join a guild or be part of any premade team, but the laurel Carrot on a Stick has drawn me into a portion of the game that I had totally written off as a waste of time. In addition, fighting against teams that far outmatch my own skill level has given me an opportunity to learn different ways that professions can work together that I never would have been exposed to otherwise.

And all I had to do was feed some dudes an easy win in tPvP a few times.

I like the change, and hope it sticks around. Not everyone is “just in it for their monthly,” though that might be why they tried it the first time.

Nice read. Good luck!

Up Rerroll

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Honestly, I don’t spvp all that much so I doubt I have a high rating. I can’t say I’ve had a consistent problem with joining tpvp solo and running into nasty premade teams. Mostly it’s just usual stuff and I win or lose normally, with losing efforts still having 400+ points for my team in most cases where it was a fine match.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Divus.3175

Divus.3175

I’m a pve and pvp player with champion title, so I know a thing or two about playing.
What happened after last patch is crazy. I constantly solo queue with low levels, who don’t read chat and don’t try to cooperate.

I’m not saying pvp community don’t need new players. We do. I usually play with my guild, trying to get new players – sometimes 3 “>20” rank with 2 “<10” rank, on voice communication. If they can do, what they’ll told to, they’re ok. They get tutorials from one of 3 guys, who know, what’s going on.

Now, let see, what’s going now on tournaments. People, who never played tournament, don’t get any tutorial, because there’s no any. Sorry to say this, but that’s ANet fault. I like, what devs are doing to the game, but without decent tutorials, there won’t be better game. I remember, when I started playing LoL – I had to play tutorial, then play with AI, then with really low ranked people. It was ok, I had time to get, what’s going on. There were lots of videos about the strategies, etc. There’s no any of that in GW2 – new player can get stomped by really experienced players, not learning anything by that.

I’m sad after loosing 8 matches, played with <10 rank players, against average 30 rank players. It was no fun, I couldn’t do anything to change it, because you can’t win that kind of match solo. I hope all theese new players, who doesn’t wan to learn, will leave HoTM after 1st april.

[KING] Desolation – Pikan Parom (engineer), Grace Parom (ele)

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: EPYON.2731

EPYON.2731

I don’t know how to say anything
rank2 vs rank50
really?
really?
really!!!

Go back to PVE or SPVP plz !!!

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: KINGRPG.3492

KINGRPG.3492

It unfair, someone got 10 laurels from monthy PvP, but I can’t………………It’s a plan, right?
and why we can not create a private room? To prevent cheating? Just block the point from private room…very easy

Sorry for my beginner English / http://www.kingrpg.net My Blog

(edited by KINGRPG.3492)

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Dark Desdemona.1046

Dark Desdemona.1046

Laurels in pvp was an amazing idea

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

It’s a problem with the matchmaking. If they get that better, there’ll be no cries about getting more people in pvp.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: pmnt.4067

pmnt.4067

I think it’s the other way round: the matchmaking is bad because of the small pool of players. When there are more players around, there should be automatically better matches. It’s just anecdotal, but on patch day I was in two matches with equally “skilled” teams: full random, rank 7~18.

I can’t wait until ANet releases the game promoted in the manifesto.
Until that, I’ll play GW2.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

Absolutely not. This is really good for structured PvP in the long term.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Empiren.6401

Are you seriously saying that hotjoin is training you to be a better tournament player? One is a clusterkitten zerg game were the biggest DPS and skill spaming wins and the other requires skill, team coordination and defensive specs to hold the points as much as possible.

-I’m not saying hotjoin>tpvp. I"m saying rank caps need to be in tpvp so pve players don’t just waltz in there without even speccing and go “huh, this sucks, why waste my time on spvp”.

At least it gives them a sense of what pvp is like. The objectives and team play for example.

I’d much rather have a simple rank 10 requirement than pve people going “this is my first time” and get crushed by a bunker 10 times in a row.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

Hello PvPers,

I just wanted to give some perspective from ‘the other side’ (whatever that mysterious place may be). I’ve played guild wars 2 since BWE1 and got around 2500 hours played since launch but I always largely stayed away from sPvP as it never really appealed to me initially.

I’ve done lots of dungeons, lots of WvW but sPvP… I dabbled a bit here and there never really got into the groove of things. Mainly because I only ever played hotjoin and hotjoin to put it blunt is awful with the uneven teams, auto-balancing, people come and go as they please. Just a big mess basically.

It really put me off sPvP for a long time and ‘Tournament’ always sounded kind of daunting to me because I expected it to all just be pre-made voice comm groups on there. So I never bothered looking properly into it all and so I never did. I did a couple of free tournament matches with a more experienced group once which went well but I still felt largely intimidated by getting into tournaments.

Then comes around the laurel monthly. I quickly jump to the opportunity like many others to grab some extra laurels so I joined into a solo tournament expecting to just deal with the bad experience and the usual name calling that comes along with the sPvP scene (another thing that put me off previously).

To my surprise however I really enjoyed it, from my experience in dungeons and WvW as well as the little I loitered around sPvP (And some keg brawl) I already had ample experience as a mesmer in various situations both pve and pvp. I knew the maps well enough from the little I played them previously and I really got into the feel of things. I was surprised to actually be doing better than I expected (Including some really nice fights versus higher ranked players).

Of course I am still learning (I’m hardly best mesmer EU), I don’t know all the tricks and special tactics of different maps but I do know my profession of by heart and so I’m making slow but steady progress and taking my first ‘baby steps’ into the oh so scary world of tournaments.

I’d also like to point out that not having played a lot of sPvP does not necessarily mean those people that haven’t are automatically bad players (as some in this thread seem to insinuate) new players are just that, new. They have to learn the ropes just like everyone else had to but some of these new players could turn out to be really good players who will stick around and refresh the sPvP scene with new competition.

As for me in just a couple of days time I gotten myself up to rank 10 (Deer) in between my other engagements and continued playing well after my monthly was done. I also seen the same thing happen in my guild suddenly a lot of people are doing tournaments and actually enjoying them, learning and enjoying the experience even after having done the monthly.

Sure some people will stop playing PvP after they have gotten their laurels but I honestly believe a lot of people will continue to play PvP and improve. This is a good thing, this makes for more people to fight competitively against, more people bringing in more people into the scene and I think this laurel mistake in the longer term will do more good than harm. I know it’s probably annoying to have so many newcomers around right now but you have to look at the big picture here.

I agree that there can be improvements in the queuing system, it’s not fun for either side if lower ranked players are put up against a 40+ pre-made party with voice com and it’s not fun for them to have such an easy time of it. But just because the queue system can do with improvement it doesn’t mean overall this isn’t a nice little boost for the sPvP scene.

Anyway, I will be enjoying tPvP more often from now on as will a lot of other people. Once the major laurel influx has worn off there will be a lot of new players still playing who will learn and get better. Just got to give us a chance and not instantly write us all off as ‘Insert various derogatory and condescending insults here’ just look forward to new teams and players to challenge you

See you in battle,

Lilyfay

Attachments:

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

-I’m not saying hotjoin>tpvp. I"m saying rank caps need to be in tpvp so pve players don’t just waltz in there without even speccing and go “huh, this sucks, why waste my time on spvp”.

At least it gives them a sense of what pvp is like. The objectives and team play for example.

I’d much rather have a simple rank 10 requirement than pve people going “this is my first time” and get crushed by a bunker 10 times in a row.

Having tpvp gated isn’t healthy for the game, that would create more problems than solve. It isn’t hard to get to a certain rank in hotjoin by running around zerging everywhere, then you get into Tpvp after a certain rank and all you know is how to zerg.
Which doesn’t cut it, it would be no better then to throwing a rank 1 in their.

So what if some pve’er get there butts handed to them, if they learn from it and try to better, then they will continued playing, if they don’t they will leave. It’s no big deal because at the end of the day, you still are gaining players. Even if it’s just for the laurels, their will be those that like it and keep doing it without the laurels.

(edited by BobbyT.7192)

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Rerroll.9083

Rerroll.9083

Hello PvPers,

I just wanted to give some perspective from ‘the other side’ (whatever that mysterious place may be). I’ve played guild wars 2 since BWE1 and got around 2500 hours played since launch but I always largely stayed away from sPvP as it never really appealed to me initially.

I’ve done lots of dungeons, lots of WvW but sPvP… I dabbled a bit here and there never really got into the groove of things. Mainly because I only ever played hotjoin and hotjoin to put it blunt is awful with the uneven teams, auto-balancing, people come and go as they please. Just a big mess basically.

It really put me off sPvP for a long time and ‘Tournament’ always sounded kind of daunting to me because I expected it to all just be pre-made voice comm groups on there. So I never bothered looking properly into it all and so I never did. I did a couple of free tournament matches with a more experienced group once which went well but I still felt largely intimidated by getting into tournaments.

Then comes around the laurel monthly. I quickly jump to the opportunity like many others to grab some extra laurels so I joined into a solo tournament expecting to just deal with the bad experience and the usual name calling that comes along with the sPvP scene (another thing that put me off previously).

To my surprise however I really enjoyed it, from my experience in dungeons and WvW as well as the little I loitered around sPvP (And some keg brawl) I already had ample experience as a mesmer in various situations both pve and pvp. I knew the maps well enough from the little I played them previously and I really got into the feel of things. I was surprised to actually be doing better than I expected (Including some really nice fights versus higher ranked players).

Of course I am still learning (I’m hardly best mesmer EU), I don’t know all the tricks and special tactics of different maps but I do know my profession of by heart and so I’m making slow but steady progress and taking my first ‘baby steps’ into the oh so scary world of tournaments.

I’d also like to point out that not having played a lot of sPvP does not necessarily mean those people that haven’t are automatically bad players (as some in this thread seem to insinuate) new players are just that, new. They have to learn the ropes just like everyone else had to but some of these new players could turn out to be really good players who will stick around and refresh the sPvP scene with new competition.

As for me in just a couple of days time I gotten myself up to rank 10 (Deer) in between my other engagements and continued playing well after my monthly was done. I also seen the same thing happen in my guild suddenly a lot of people are doing tournaments and actually enjoying them, learning and enjoying the experience even after having done the monthly.

Sure some people will stop playing PvP after they have gotten their laurels but I honestly believe a lot of people will continue to play PvP and improve. This is a good thing, this makes for more people to fight competitively against, more people bringing in more people into the scene and I think this laurel mistake in the longer term will do more good than harm. I know it’s probably annoying to have so many newcomers around right now but you have to look at the big picture here.

I agree that there can be improvements in the queuing system, it’s not fun for either side if lower ranked players are put up against a 40+ pre-made party with voice com and it’s not fun for them to have such an easy time of it. But just because the queue system can do with improvement it doesn’t mean overall this isn’t a nice little boost for the sPvP scene.

Anyway, I will be enjoying tPvP more often from now on as will a lot of other people. Once the major laurel influx has worn off there will be a lot of new players still playing who will learn and get better. Just got to give us a chance and not instantly write us all off as ‘Insert various derogatory and condescending insults here’ just look forward to new teams and players to challenge you

See you in battle,

Lilyfay

It’s always nice to see new faces
good luck

Up Rerroll

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Adding laurels to PvP was a good idea. Maybe they should have waited just a bit more until they were really confident that players would enjoy the experience when they tried PvP for the first time, but on the other hand, new players seem to be having fun most of the time.

Some changes are really simple, though—like tournaments could be called “ranked match” and placed side-by-side with hotjoins. I understand the reasons that hotjoins will probably remain, but more new players would stay if they tried “tournaments” first, or maybe after a couple short practice sessions in hotjoins. (Why are they called tournaments anyway? It’s just a normal match, which is what the game lacked for several months after release…)

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Jacobin.8509

Jacobin.8509

Adding laurels just makes tournaments even more casual than before.

All it does is gives the pre-mades more people to farm rank on which further destroys what little competitiveness is left.

Lord is absolutely correct about any sort of ladder in the present format is a total JOKE at this point, and it sad to see hardly anyone in this thread seems recognizes that.

If we had teams and soloers in separate queues then I would support the laurel change, otherwise all it is doing is making spvp casual daily farmer mode where people are just playing to farm gear.

Remove laurels from pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I think laurels are good for pvp. Yes many dont know how to play, you see a whole bunch of noobs, etc. but the thing is it attracts people. When they do it for for enough months to get the laurels even if its only that, they will start to learn to play so its a win win in the end, more spvp players and the pve players get their laurels.
You just have to bare with it for the first few months though