Remove pets when owners down

in PvP

Posted by: Nihao.1527

Nihao.1527

Since players’ skills are all disabled in downstate, why are pet classes’ pets still up? Pets are class mechanics. When a player is down, he usually has downstate spells, except for pet classes, their pets persist.

To be consistent, all pets should be disabled when their owners are down. For some classes such as phantasm mesmers and rangers that rely on pet damage, when they are down, their dps is still very high since their pets do most damage for them. How is consistent with the downstate mechanics?

in PvP

Posted by: Jordan.6157

Jordan.6157

well then they would have to redesign some ranger traits because your pet can gain a boon when you go down to help you out or can “lick your wounds” to help you get back up.

in PvP

Posted by: Vinhoney.4517

Vinhoney.4517

well, then I want illusions, minions, turrets, elementals, thieves, banners, spirit weapons to go away in downed state as well, so it’ll be fair for the rest of the professions.

If you have no doubts of your skills, then challenge me for a duel please.

in PvP

Nihao.1527

when I said pets, I mean all illusions, minions, turrets etc. When I play elementalist, it feels so unfair that after I defeated a ranger or mesmer, I still havekittenpet to assault me.

When both me and mesmer/ranger are down, they have pets to assist them in downstate, while I am all alone throwing dirt at them, effectively they are still maintaining good dps in their downstate.

in PvP

Posted by: Colton.9460

Colton.9460

This sounds like a no brainer, and would further reward players for doing the right thing( i.e focusing on the owner not the pet). As long as pet cooldowns are reset when/if the person is rallied or resurrected it sounds fair. Not resetting the cooldowns and desummoning seems too harsh a penalty for classes that rely on their pets though.

“I’m watching you violate my game mode”

in PvP

Nihao.1527

This sounds like a no brainer, and would further reward players for doing the right thing( i.e focusing on the owner not the pet). As long as pet cooldowns are reset when/if the person is rallied or resurrected it sounds fair. Not resetting the cooldowns and desummoning seems too harsh a penalty for classes that rely on their pets though.

Pet summoning has very low cooldown time, like 10-20 seconds, unlike elementalist’s elite that also dies shortly. Necro have a bit longer cooldown. But you solution works, too, doesn’t really matter much.

The huge advantage that those classes that maintain at least 50% of their dps in downstate is just so unfair to other classes, esp. when both are down. To add salt to injury, pets will just follow me even after I use mist form to run away.

in PvP

Posted by: Jordan.6157

Jordan.6157

Well the downed state is does not mean you killed an enemy. They should be entitled to the abilities they used just before they went down because it is basically just like swapping a different weapon except it’s a pretty lame weapon and you have no choice about it. The biggest noobs in the game are the ones that don’t help people up and complain at the people that go down. Downed state was probably only brought into the game to promote teamwork.

in PvP

Nihao.1527

Well the downed state is does not mean you killed an enemy. They should be entitled to the abilities they used just before they went down because it is basically just like swapping a different weapon except it’s a pretty lame weapon and you have no choice about it. The biggest noobs in the game are the ones that don’t help people up and complain at the people that go down. Downed state was probably only brought into the game to promote teamwork.

That’s cool, but where are my abilities when I am down as elementalist, except throwing dirt? When players are down, their dps goes down to throwing dirt, except those pet classes.

My main is mesmer, my phantasms can do more dps than me. Is it fair that when I am down, I am still doing good dps against another player while he can only throw dirt at me?

in PvP

Posted by: Colton.9460

Colton.9460

Dang now that you mention the elite summoning skills my idea seems terrible, it would encourage players to go down, then be resurrected by party members to avoid the long cool down timers on elite summoning abilities. In the other direction, summoning an elite skill pet would be terrible ( especially for squishy elementalist) if 1 sec after you summon them you go down and are stuck with the lengthy cooldown.

So now we are left with; either keeping them the way they are, having them go passive/invulnerable when the player is down then pop back up, or severally penalizing classes that rely on pets.

( please correct me if I am wrong about long cooldowns on elite skill summons, I dont play a proff with one, it just seemed like they would since all other elite skills have ridic cooldowns)

“I’m watching you violate my game mode”

(edited by Colton.9460)

in PvP

Posted by: Elevated.9752

Elevated.9752

Too much to redesign here if they decided to change the downed state + outside influences. I think they should focus on balancing the guardian + mesmer problem, and the fact that there is no reason to pvp.

in PvP

Posted by: Detahmaio.2014

Detahmaio.2014

The fact you were downed should put pets on a CD because lets be real here a pet profession will always beat a non pet profession if you both down each other

in PvP

Nihao.1527

Dang now that you mention the elite summoning skills my idea seems terrible, it would encourage players to go down, then be resurrected by party members to avoid the long cool down timers on elite summoning abilities. In the other direction, summoning an elite skill pet would be terrible ( especially for squishy elementalist) if 1 sec after you summon them you go down and are stuck with the lengthy cooldown.

So now we are left with; either keeping them the way they are, having them go passive/invulnerable when the player is down then pop back up, or severally penalizing classes that rely on pets.

( please correct me if I am wrong about long cooldowns on elite skill summons, I dont play a proff with one, it just seemed like they would sense all other elite skills have ridic cooldowns)

Elite skills don’t have ridiculously long cooldown. I am only aware of necro and elementalist having elite summoning skills. But as an elementalist, I don’t even care if they disable my greater elemental if all classes are treated fairly. I doubt players would purposely down in order to resummon their elemental. An alive elementalist is always better.

in PvP

Nihao.1527

The fact you were downed should put pets on a CD because lets be real here a pet profession will always beat a non pet profession if you both down each other

Exactly. My ele has downed so many mesmers and ended up I died from their pets. Plus they can port around and very hard to stomp.

I am not biased as I have said my main is a mesmer. But for the sake of game balance, this has to be rectified.

in PvP

Posted by: Pray.9751

Pray.9751

well, then I want illusions, minions, turrets, elementals, thieves, banners, spirit weapons to go away in downed state as well, so it’ll be fair for the rest of the professions.

yes please

also remove all 2 skills from downed state
and reduce finishing speed from 4 to 2,5 or 3 seconds

thanks

in PvP

Posted by: Kaim.7125

Kaim.7125

Pray.9751 just +1

in PvP

Posted by: Elevated.9752

Elevated.9752

There are advantages and disadvantages when considering the downed state with certain profs. 1 the elementalist is at the biggest disadvantage in a downed state. 2 The mesmer has the biggest advantage in the downed state. Other classes fall in between these two profs. Either way I’d say the downed state was a good idea, fun at first, but after spvping for a while it’s just a problem, I see an elementalist down I sprint for him, I see a mesmer downed (or down him) I simply ignore trying to F him (unless 1 v 1).