Remove pip loss below diamond?

in PvP

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

It seems to me that most of the frustration, complaining, horror stories and quitting all comes back to the same thing, pip loss.

This system of losing progress on something you’ve worked hard for is not present in any other area of the game, and is hurting PvP. I propose that pip loss be removed from the tracks up until diamond. Currently the different tiers have no bearing on skill at all and are just leading to endless frustration. Make the tiers a secondary reward structure that only advances upon wins, but does not lose anything on losses.

This will instantly solve many of the complaints and frustrations that players have.

Once you reach diamond tier the system can resume how it currently is and still allow for the competition and extra advancement. Matchmaking will return to being based on MMR alone and not mixed in with the various tiers.

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

It seems to me that most of the frustration, complaining, horror stories and quitting all comes back to the same thing, pip loss.

This system of losing progress on something you’ve worked hard for is not present in any other area of the game, and is hurting PvP. I propose that pip loss be removed from the tracks up until diamond. Currently the different tiers have no bearing on skill at all and are just leading to endless frustration. Make the tiers a secondary reward structure that only advances upon wins, but does not lose anything on losses.

This will instantly solve many of the complaints and frustrations that players have.

Once you reach diamond tier the system can resume how it currently is and still allow for the competition and extra advancement. Matchmaking will return to being based on MMR alone and not mixed in with the various tiers.

No, if anything allow for tier loss and pip loss from the beginning. This is not a reward track where time invested should guarantee rewards.

in PvP

Posted by: MrKrataus.6420

MrKrataus.6420

Be careful, arenanet might take your idea seriously.

[vM] Alkore

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

No just NO! PVP leagues is NOT a grind/reward track. Its a competitive ranking system. I would personally vote for Pip/Tier AND Division loss in all Divisions except Amber.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: Belial.9350

Belial.9350

What the hell kind of suggestion is this? Yes instead of a 75% skilless grind to diamond lets have a 100% skilless grind to diamond!

in PvP

Posted by: Anhomedog.7968

Anhomedog.7968

No, this is literally the opposite of what we need. Like people said above, this whole division thing isn’t to guarentee rewards for people who play in it. Not everyone is going to get that back piece, and that is how it needs to be. I can accept tier loss in amber bit after that it needs to drop

Ride the Lightning: Movement speed adjustments
no longer affect the intended travel distance.
-The Pros at ANET

in PvP

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Sorry OP but no. Actually want to see Division loss in all tiers above Amber and Tier loss added into lower levels as well. I will rage along with others but those changes are needed to allow people to filter to where they should be. This is challenging and meant to be so but with some of the safety nets in place its still not in the shape it needs to be. Not to mention I do believe that the better the system can sort people the better matches we will all get and the more people will improve. Its hard to improve in one sided blow out matches.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in PvP

Posted by: Shadow.1345

Shadow.1345

No, people will still kitten about being stuck in Diamond instead of kittening about being stuck in Ruby so it won’t solve anything.

in PvP

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Ok other than NOOOO are there any actual arguments against this? There is no correlation to skill in any of the tiers, so this has nothing to do with competition. You will get better matchups if we base it on MMR and remove the pip loss system.

Or do people here not want better match ups? Just want to be carried into a high league so you have a special marker next to your name?

in PvP

Posted by: Pumpkin.5169

Pumpkin.5169

I’m really torn between this suggestion and the one where we could buy pips in the gemstore or buy/sell them in the TP.

Pumpkin – Mag

in PvP

Posted by: Fivedawgs.4267

Fivedawgs.4267

No that’s not the problem, the problem is X vs X. People want to earn their ranks, u mean you get a sense of pride out of it. Most people are complaining about the randomness of the system.

in PvP

Shadow.1345

They know there are complaints and they have stated they are working on ideas for S3.

in PvP

Pyriall.1683

Ok other than NOOOO are there any actual arguments against this? There is no correlation to skill in any of the tiers, so this has nothing to do with competition. You will get better matchups if we base it on MMR and remove the pip loss system.

Or do people here not want better match ups? Just want to be carried into a high league so you have a special marker next to your name?

What do you mean other than “NOOOO”? People have told you why.

in PvP

Posted by: Devitz.2136

Devitz.2136

I’m really torn between this suggestion and the one where we could buy pips in the gemstore or buy/sell them in the TP.

+1 to this. Actually a pack of let’s say 4 divisions at once for 2k gems? That would be a fair price.

in PvP

Spartacus.3192

Did you even read all the comments or did you stop at “NOOOOO”. We already told you why.

HAHAHA!

in PvP

Posted by: Salamander.2504

Salamander.2504

There is already a system in place for this: unranked. If someone is frustrated at losing pips, they are free to play unranked, where they can’t lose any.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

the argument is that people complain boot being stuck in ruby because thats where you can lose pips and never grind it out.

with your solution, u are just moving the problem up to diamond. instead the complaints would simply be, ‘halp i’m stuck in diamond can’t reach legend’. it would have no effect other than to shift where everyone gets stuck.

u are saying well leagues don’t == skill but it could be because people could grind up to ruby. granted the lack of real soloq is also a part of it.

to me, wat we gat now is reasonable. 50% of league can be grinded moar or less, other half can’t.

in PvP

Shadow.1345

Because then people will complain about pip loss in Diamond and Diamond will be full of people that just grinded their way there. What then, remove pip loss up until Legendary so we can all be Legendary? Because you know when everyone is Legendary nobody is Legendary.

in PvP

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

lol @ getting better matches if you removed pip loss.

you do realize that’s the exact opposite of what will happen right OP?

no more pip loss = even the skill clicking casuals can grind their way to diamond at bare minimum, meaning the competent players will have to deal with having these people as teammates or farming them 500-5 for an entire 3 more divisions.

what you really want apparently is just the wings handed to you on a silver platter by simply logging in.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

in PvP

Posted by: Soothsayer.9206

Soothsayer.9206

Anet did us all a disservice when they attached achievements (4 tiers worth) and a reward (legendary back item) to a systems designed to track team success, which in itself is problematic for solo queing. So, yes, its a reward track but it should not be. Pips are meaningless in solo que because it doesn’t represent any sort solo/individual effort only a dependence on the current strength of a team composition within a given range.

Giving rank away will only exacerbate these issues; pip loss, tier loss, division loss should be serious considerations for making the system promote skill and, or acquiring skill, but in solo que there needs to be other considerations for pip accumulation rather than basing it on pip range, division rank and random team selection in solo que.

True competitors want to earn their bragging rights and they should have utter contempt for a system that either makes it pure grind or gives it away entirely; like what is being espoused currently. I would like to have that back item too, but to be honest what I would like more is to be on a team that is consistent, growing, and competitive.

Kyrie eleison…Dies irae, dies illa…Quando judex est venturus

(edited by Soothsayer.9206)

in PvP

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

We already have the reward tracks, we don’t need more than that.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

in PvP

Posted by: Ruru.1302

Ruru.1302

Have you maybe considered the fact that not everyone should be able to make it to diamond?

mag
[Mada] Apocryfia

in PvP

Posted by: Fivedawgs.4267

Fivedawgs.4267

There is already a system in place for this: unranked. If someone is frustrated at losing pips, they are free to play unranked, where they can’t lose any.

This is condescending, because you willfully ignoring the fact that the OP is proposing this because he want his legendary backpiece as soon as possible.

Fyi: the OP mainly pve in case you didn’t check his history.

in PvP

Posted by: Salamander.2504

Salamander.2504

This is condescending, because you willfully ignoring the fact that the OP is proposing this because he want his legendary backpiece as soon as possible.

I didn’t check his history—I’m not sure it matters. And I’m not actually ignoring the fact that the OP wants his legendary backpack. I really wish him the best in acquiring it. Rather, the OP is ignoring the fact that the legendary backpack must be earned in a competitive ladder system, and losing pips is part of that. Moreover, the OP’s suggestion directly undermines the whole point of a skill-based ladder. If we want to improve season 3 to make this the case, the OP’s suggestion is 2 steps in the wrong direction.

in PvP

Posted by: Darkk.3018

Darkk.3018

What do you mean other than “NOOOO”? People have told you why.

Yup, people have already explained why. They can make changes to matchmaking to reduce frustration, but removing pip loss below diamond defeats the point of league. I’m sorry, but not everyone should be hand-held into diamond or handed a shiny backpiece on a platter OP.

(edited by Darkk.3018)

in PvP

Spartacus.3192

I didn’t check but i am most definitely not surprised.

in PvP

Posted by: onevsone.2098

onevsone.2098

It should be the opposite, making Emerald/Sapphire with less save points and making Ruby/diamond/Legendary harder to reach.

Leagues are not supposed to be a reward track but a competitive environment.

And in a competitive environment not everyone can win.

in PvP

Posted by: shagwell.1349

shagwell.1349

It should be a competitive environment first. Before that it makes no sense to think about changing the pip system.

With the current system it’s neither competitive nor skill based very much. It heavily depends on luck how getting grouped together.

[orz] below mediocre – we sponsor Arenanet
Piken Square EU, maybe soon on your server.

in PvP

Posted by: LordOtto.2650

LordOtto.2650

There are still to many trash players in diamond and legendary, and you want what?! No wonder they call me toxic player; when I ask them how in earth they are in that division?!

in PvP

TheGrimm.5624

We do want better match ups, but with the current system people can grind or be carried above the level they really should have capped out of leaving them and others that might be matched with them at a disadvantage. The safety nets in place act more like a catch all which can be even more frustrating if that last save point is above that player’s normal skill level. Don’t get me wrong, the match making in S2 still needs love and others have stated ways that it might work which sound closer to the original description that was made before the start of the season versus what we later discovered it does. To your own point, until the system can allow people to rise and fall and potentially award based on individual performance it can not be used as a gauge for skill.

in PvP

TheGrimm.5624

It should be a competitive environment first. Before that it makes no sense to think about changing the pip system.

With the current system it’s neither competitive nor skill based very much. It heavily depends on luck how getting grouped together.

This is true, its even more compounded when people group up versus soloQ since the group players are at least mitigating some of their own risk of getting a badly comprised team makeup where as the soloQ have even worse odds. But we can hope that the MM algorithms being adjusted over time continue to improve.

in PvP

Posted by: drcraig.9403

drcraig.9403

I disagree with OP but understand where the frustration comes from. This is not supposed to be a grind or reward track type of progression. However that doesn’t change the fact that matchmaking is a joke. I’m sorry but anyone who says that people going on 10 match losing streaks need to “get gud” are way off base. If there was balance in the matchmaking this would rarely happen. Matchmaking that overwhelmingly favors 1 team over the other is not balance and is not conducive to fair play. How fun is it when you win or lose with a score of 500-100? It isn’t fun for the losing team for obvious reasons, and it isn’t fun for the winning team who may be looking for competition. If balanced matchmaking was the goal, and I’m not saying it is, wouldn’t the team be made up of equal skill for each team. Or, perhaps a variety of skill levels for each team?

So far this season I have seen players…
1. After stating we have too many of the same profession people will not change or adjust because they’re playing this profession or that to get the “daily”. I have switched professions way to often because lets face it, 5 rangers aren’t going to win.

2. People state that they should’ve played unranked until they were used to the build they were using. Yes I’m serious!

3. Multiple people standing on a point until it’s capped so they get credit on the SB. It takes 1 person to cap, if there’s no incoming danger please leave and find a way to help your team.

4. Multiple people attack a downed player instead of leaving 1 for the stomp and moving on.

5. People who just hit rank 20 and are excited because now they can play ranked! To the detriment of their team of course.

Easy fixes….
1.Hard MMR reset for all players at start of S3 ** Don’t cry, if you’re that great you should overcome. If Anet isn’t going to fix the matchmaking problem we should all suffer a little. Hey, it builds character.

2. Raise the minimum rank from 20 to at least 40. By this point people should have a good grasp on spvp.

3.SoloQ or teamQ. pick one. Fair competition should have a somewhat level playing field. Either full solo or for teamQ you must be at least a duo.

4.NO DAILIES FOR RANKED

5. Anet, please give us something to do while we wait for the Q. If we must remain in the lobby please add some activity. Add crafting stations or let us duel. Add to the map and make a “free for all” area. If you enter it it’s just an “anything goes” scenario.

(edited by drcraig.9403)

in PvP

Pyriall.1683

I disagree with OP but understand where the frustration comes from. This is not supposed to be a grind or reward track type of progression. However that doesn’t change the fact that matchmaking is a joke. I’m sorry but anyone who says that people going on 10 match losing streaks need to “get gud” are way off base. If there was balance in the matchmaking this would rarely happen. Matchmaking that overwhelmingly favors 1 team over the other is not balance and is not conducive to fair play. How fun is it when you win or lose with a score of 500-100? It isn’t fun for the losing team for obvious reasons, and it isn’t fun for the winning team who may be looking for competition. If balanced matchmaking was the goal, and I’m not saying it is, wouldn’t the team be made up of equal skill for each team. Or, perhaps a variety of skill levels for each team?

1. After stating we have too many of the same profession people will not change or adjust because they’re playing this profession or that to get the “daily”. I have switched professions way to often because lets face it, 5 rangers aren’t going to win.

2. People state that they should’ve played unranked until they were used to the build they were using. Yes I’m serious!

3. Multiple people standing on a point until it’s capped so they get credit on the SB. It takes 1 person to cap, if there’s no incoming danger please leave and find a way to help your team.

4. Multiple people attack a downed player instead of leaving 1 for the stomp and moving on.

5. People who just hit rank 20 and are excited because now they can play ranked! To the detriment of their team of course.

Easy fixes….
1.Hard MMR reset for all players ** Don’t cry, if you’re that great you should overcome. If Anet isn’t going to fix the matchmaking problem we should all suffer a little. Hey, it builds character.

2. Raise the minimum rank from 20 to at least 40. By this point people should have a good grasp on spvp.

3.SoloQ or teamQ. pick one. Fair competition should have a somewhat level playing field. Either full solo or for teamQ you must be at least a duo.

4.NO DAILIES FOR RANKED

5. Anet, please give us something to do while we wait for the Q. If we must remain in the lobby please add some activity. Add crafting stations or let us duel. Add to the map and make a “free for all” area. If you enter it it’s just an “anything goes” scenario.

There have already been several instances of people claiming MMR who have submitted video of their gameplay. In most cases, the games have been relatively close AND their gameplay substantiates their standing in the current division.

in PvP

Posted by: Hansen.3264

Hansen.3264

Just make the wings reward track a long one. Grinding is a legendary achivement and “we” all need more people playing spvp.
And make tier division drops posible. Let the legend tag mean something. True spvp heros would not need a pve backpack do they?

in PvP

drcraig.9403

Easy fixes….
1.Hard MMR reset for all players ** Don’t cry, if you’re that great you should overcome. If Anet isn’t going to fix the matchmaking problem we should all suffer a little. Hey, it builds character.

4.NO DAILIES FOR RANKED

There have already been several instances of people claiming MMR who have submitted video of their gameplay. In most cases, the games have been relatively close AND their gameplay substantiates their standing in the current division.

That’s a copout to avoid fixing the problem. Or in this case multiple problems.

in PvP

Pyriall.1683

Easy fixes….

4.NO DAILIES FOR RANKED

What’s the copout? I’ve seen the videos, it certainly wasn’t the man keeping them down.

in PvP

drcraig.9403

Easy fixes….

4.NO DAILIES FOR RANKED

What’s the copout? I’ve seen the videos, it certainly wasn’t the man keeping them down.

If the videos don’t offer the opportunity to evaluate the whole team it only reflects the skill or lack of, for the person sending in the video. I didn’t play S1 and have had a very hard time in S2. It is possible that my skill has held me back, I don’t claim to be a pro. However the examples above are hardly related to my skill as a player.

Question for you. After a 3 game losing streak , your next win should award you a bonus pip. Is this correct? Okay, now I have been cheated on this and didn’t get my bonus pips. Is that a reflection of my skill?

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Leagues are already glorified reward track as it is. You want it even easier lol?

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

‘This system of losing progress on something you’ve worked hard for is not present in any other area of the game, and is hurting PvP.’

You can lose positioning in WvW.
In fact most sports of any kind around the world will rate players/teams according to their current performance. This is why Tiger woods hasn’t been golf’s number 1 in a decade now.
What you’re asking for is he remaining at least in the top 3 despite his form, because once a upon a time he worked hard to get to number 1.

people work hard to get to diamond, then a long comes someone else who works harder to remove them from that spot. That is what makes it competitive.