Response to "Profession Locking Poll"

in PvP

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

To start, here was my initial query therein that topic:

Have you guys considered a middle ground where players cannot swap to a class already selected by another player on the same team to prevent class-stacking while still allowing counter-comping?

Basically, if ArenaNet wants people to take PvP seriously, why can’t they just enforce no class-stacking and be done with it? That’s my consideration, so let me elaborate on ideal implementation:

• Matchmaking never puts more than one of the same class on a team, and people swapping classes after entering a match cannot change to a class already occupying a spot on their team.
  • When you go to queue for a match, based on other people queuing, you are given estimated queue times per profession, essentially telling you what’s lacking the most.
  • This would further serve to encourage multi-classing which would further serve to help everyone’s queue times just like in other games where learning learning multiple “champions” is important.
  • If you also want to take away counter-comping, then my suggestion is to only prevent swapping during season play (or just in ranked). As long as players have the reassurance that they’re not gonna get class-stacked, they should have far less qualms against this restriction when the PvP season is in session.
  • Another quality-of-life change would be to eliminate the “double loading screen” players experience when swapping characters while in a match.

In my opinion, “profession locking” is nothing but a band-aid that doesn’t actually fix anything; it’s merely a perceived fix to someone who hates class-stacking but doesn’t actually sit there and think through what it effectively does, because it doesn’t actually prevent class-stacking caused by matchmaking and only serves to prevent counter-comping. An actual fix (or rather, help) to matchmaking is what I’ve outlined above.

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

in PvP

Posted by: Rod.6581

Rod.6581

• Matchmaking never puts more than one of the same class on a team, and people swapping classes after entering a match cannot change to a class already occupying a spot on their team.

Having one per profession doesn’t necessarily mean you don’t get bad team composition. Further, there are pro groups that use 2 of a same professions in team composition.

in PvP

Posted by: Konakona.4130

Konakona.4130

there are pro groups that use 2 of a same professions in team composition.

Nope, class stacking is prohibited by ESL rules and others.

in PvP

Posted by: Rod.6581

Rod.6581

Yup, my bad. You are correct.
Earlier we had it more than one allowed. Again, my apologizes.