Isabis.9561

4 thiefs and 1 mesmer?

yea… pug though

does it matter what profession I am? this is ridiculous no matter what

Retaliation...

in PvP

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

You know, in order for retaliation to hit 50 times, a person would have to be stupid enough to hit the ret buffed target 50 times.

Retaliation...

in PvP

Posted by: Sanis.1096

Sanis.1096

go death blossom spec and stop autoattacking and use trait steal to remove boon

-Apinamies-
-rank 41 guardian-
-Desolation EU-

Retaliation...

in PvP

Posted by: Hsulf.9370

Hsulf.9370

go death blossom spec and stop autoattacking and use trait steal to remove boon

This is strong vs guards.

Strong vs anything in the current meta, actually.

Godmóde of Team Paradigm
(Necro, Ele, Thief, Guard)
http://www.twitch.tv/godmodegw2

Retaliation...

in PvP

Posted by: Sanis.1096

Sanis.1096

yea.. players underestimate death blossom spec

-Apinamies-
-rank 41 guardian-
-Desolation EU-

Retaliation...

in PvP

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

you hitted him 50 times with retaliation on what do you expect?? what about 50 heartseeker hits? would do 400.000~ damage.

Retaliation...

in PvP

Posted by: Isabis.9561

Isabis.9561

it was team fight, i was focusing everything a bit, but in the end retaliation did most dmg, it’s broken..

Retaliation...

in PvP

Posted by: Dashel.8056

Dashel.8056

Ah I see we have more advocates of the “Dont hit people in PvP” discipline.

Retaliation...

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

The average bunker spec doesn’t run with a full 30 in the trait line that grants them power, which is what Retaliation scales by. So if you are fighting a Retaliation specced Guardian the most damage I’ve been able to effective rune for is around 2k if you don’t dip heavy into the Zeal trait line.

At a rate of 1 damage per 13.4 power, that’s around 150 dmg per hit. For most people with a decent spec, that pretty negligible considering that the bunker spec Guardian can’t do that much damage to you, either.

In the picture posted, I’m averaging that the player’s power rating had to be around 2881, and has to dip at least 10 points into 10 points into the virtue line to get the trait for heavy uptime on retaliation… sorry, but something is going to be missing there. That Guardian will either have a low HP base (conditions and he’ll drop) or low mitigation on conditions (conditions and kite).

I see how any boon with 100% uptime is a problem and needs to be tweaked, but I do not see where the damage is out of line considering what has to be sacrificed by the Guardian to get 200+ damage return per hit on Retaliation in the example given. And maybe that’s the problem, the picture example is horrible for proving any points against Retaliation as a trait, if anything, it advocates exactly what the boon is supposed to do.

And I can’t speak for you all, but those of you running paper specs, especially thief paper specs, will always be losing to a Ret Guardian, and I’m assuming a majority of people making anti-Retaliation posts are running that. Maybe you should post your spec along with the picture to give a better overall image of what’s going on? It seems like only 1/10th of the story when you see a Death Breakdown used as the sole evidence of anything.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

Retaliation...

in PvP

Posted by: MiniAchilles.4617

MiniAchilles.4617

10k in 50 hits, Thief’s can do that in 1 hit, pot.. kettle.. black?

Retaliation...

in PvP

Posted by: Lilbeezy.8134

Lilbeezy.8134

im guessing this is a post talking about how Retal is still too strong , when if you take that pic and break it down it really shows how weak it is, and how thief’s ability to jump in and out of fight at will is too strong because you took 50 hits of retal 10,788 damage/50 is 215.76 that is very low for retal!

This being a bunker spec guardian with about 1500 power. you had to sit and beat on that bunker guardian untill you almost willingly got killed once that warrior jumped in to help kill you. if you were watching out for inc backup you could have left and that bunker guardian could not have stopped you 9 times out of 10. his main goal is to sit on that point like a hen on an egg.

(edited by Lilbeezy.8134)

Retaliation...

in PvP

Posted by: Chesire.9043

Chesire.9043

10,000/50 = 200 per hit.

Never focus the Guardian first in a team fight.

Since you stated it was a PUG I understand somewhat, but still.. Call a different target and hope someone else focuses with you.

Retaliation...

in PvP

Posted by: mouse.1689

mouse.1689

They just nerfed the hell out of Retal uptime on Guardians. What more do you want?

Retaliation...

in PvP

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

The problem is twofold:

1. Players are not realizing when ret is up and acting accordingly
  2. Ret does the same damage per hit, small hits don’t do well

About the OP: I’m assuming you’re a thief…I could be wrong…but my advice against a guardian is to harass him with conditions when ret is up and if you MUST attack, use LARGE hits.

In other words, Thief + Dagger Storm + Pistol Whip + Retaliation = Dead Thief.

It’s harder to do than it sounds, but you can harass point defender guards in the point and keep it contested until friendlies show up.

Retaliation...

in PvP

Posted by: Cyricus.2981

Cyricus.2981

I find it pretty funny that a thief would complain about this, honestly, and I play one. The only area where retaliation becomes a real problem is in WvWvW, where it is spammed endlessly on everyone in large groups.

Retaliation...

in PvP

Posted by: Ebola.1907

Ebola.1907

Bwhahahaha, you think you’d learn to back off after the first 5 hits let alone the first 49.

Lol! Hilarious