Retaliation for mesmers? Really? For mesmers?

in PvP

Posted by: Khyras.8021

Khyras.8021

Just fought mesmer with my ranger 1vs1 in tpvp and lost after about 5 mins of combat.Damage breakdown-highest damage from retaliation.Wtf? with everything they already have retaliation too? PvP in this game is in pre beta stage i think, feels that way anyways.From the little things like you cant turn your character with right mouse button while standing or slowing down to a crawl while in combat even with speed buff to things like retaliation for mesmers or thief hitting you 3-4 times before you can see him.PvP is not fun anymore its just annoying because of huge unfair advantage given to mesmers, thieves and guardians.
Message to pvp devs-L2P noobs before you start developing pvp for a game like GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: Aleth.9630

Aleth.9630

You are dumb if you think you could achieve anything with an attitude like that.
The only reasonable way mesmers can get Retaliation is from Chaos Storm, which last for like 3s per tick.

If you let the mesmer camp in his Chaos Storm and keep hitting them while that short Retal is up, you’re the one who needs to “l2p”. And you know, there are skills and traits which remove boons as well. Maybe your build was just not made for that fight if it lasted for 5min to begin with.

in PvP

Posted by: Dibrom.6408

Dibrom.6408

You are dumb if you think you could achieve anything with an attitude like that.
The only reasonable way mesmers can get Retaliation is from Chaos Storm, which last for like 3s per tick.

If you let the mesmer camp in his Chaos Storm and keep hitting them while that short Retal is up, you’re the one who needs to “l2p”. And you, know, there are skills and traits which remove boons as well.

Yes, Vengeful Images does not grant retaliation.

Arenanet: The paragon of truth.

in PvP

Posted by: Aleth.9630

Aleth.9630

If you let the mesmer camp in his Chaos Storm and keep hitting them while that short Retal is up, you’re the one who needs to “l2p”. And you, know, there are skills and traits which remove boons as well.

Yes, Vengeful Images does not grant retaliation.

It grants Retal to Phantasms which die in like 2 hits. Oh and it’s overwritten the fury they get from another trait.

in PvP

Posted by: Psychrome.9281

Psychrome.9281

as stated the retaliation is on the phantasms not the mesmer him self. as a fellow ranger i try very hard to make sure i am hitting the actual mesmer since any number of bad things can happen when you kill an illusion.

in PvP

Khyras.8021

as stated the retaliation is on the phantasms not the mesmer him self. as a fellow ranger i try very hard to make sure i am hitting the actual mesmer since any number of bad things can happen when you kill an illusion.

Dude i am hitting mesmer ( with sword because shortbow dmage is crap-350 auto attack dmg with 2304 power lol, and sword auto attack is 600+).I cant kindly ask him to move away from his clones.Ans why i shouldnt be able to hit clones? I should stand there and let them dps me to oblivion?That is a good tactic actually next time i meet mesmer 1vs 1 i will just run or let him kill me that would be less frustrating i think.

in PvP

Posted by: Angriff.1935

Angriff.1935

Actually, that is false. Mesmers have relatively easy access to retaliation from the trait “Retaliatory Shield” which gives retaliation for 3 seconds on block. If they equip a mainhand scepter and an offhand sword, they have access to 2 relatively fast recharging blocks. So if a Mesmer wants to they can have plenty of retaliation.

in PvP

Posted by: Project Shrine Maiden.9623

Project Shrine Maiden.9623

their illusions intercept your arrows, granted you can spec for arrow piercing, it still hits the illusions. in other words if they (the mesmers) make it a point to keep an illusion between them and you, you’re going to be hitting something that retals your attacks even if they don’t have vengeful images and you keep them out of chaos storm.

that said, i don’t understand this thread in the first place. the weakest class vs the strongest all around class…. the fact that you lasted for 5 minutes says something in itself. you spec’d to live and he spec’d to bunker. you lost. no surprise there. rangers need buffs.

Team Shanghai Alice

in PvP

Posted by: Nero.8623

Nero.8623

How certain classes have buffs that can be traited for equates to:
“Message to pvp devs-L2P noobs before you start developing pvp for a game like GW2.”
Is beyond me

This really only reads to me like
“Message to pvp devs- balance the game from the perspective of people like me who have no clue what they’re talking about”

AKA, take your own advice. L2P. Trait properly and adapt. Get off the forums and go learn how to play the game. More pew pew less qq.

in PvP

Posted by: Nero.8623

Nero.8623

How certain classes have buffs that can be traited for equates to:
“Message to pvp devs-L2P noobs before you start developing pvp for a game like GW2.”
Is beyond me

This really only reads to me like
“Message to pvp devs- balance the game from the perspective of people like me who have no clue what they’re talking about”
You are a moron.Good day.
AKA, take your own advice. L2P. Trait properly and adapt. Get off the forums and go learn how to play the game. More pew pew less qq.

You replied to me in your own quote then swooped in with a ninja edit. Don’t get too embarrassed. Computers are hard. On that note glad to see you’re making progress.

in PvP

Posted by: Psymon.4750

Psymon.4750

If you let the mesmer camp in his Chaos Storm and keep hitting them while that short Retal is up, you’re the one who needs to “l2p”. And you know, there are skills and traits which remove boons as well. Maybe your build was just not made for that fight if it lasted for 5min to begin with.

In tpvp you fight for point control.Ofc he is bloody camping wtf im supposed to do kite him?What skill or trait for ranger removes boons?Am i supposed to enter every match prepared for mesmers only? Im toughness/power traited i cant use sigil remove boon on crit effectively.Only option i have is to dps him down before his clones kill me i dont have time to dance around him when i see his ret buff up.You think ranger can win war of attrition against mesmer? Just kitten and gtfo.

ummm i play ranger and im traited for same thing u are and i still pull off 40% crits and 47 crit damage and i know how to kite a mesmer when they use null field and chaso storm let alone chaos armor. i dont want to say l2p but in this case g i would say learn to build. i find my builds to be very effective against all and even mesmers. there isnt anything wrong let him sit in his field and such it wont last long and it will be on cooldown. after that go in and do ya thing also be sure to always have some sort of condi removal on your bar and your golden. if a mesmer is kicking your but with as much toughness u say u have then u def need to learn to build or just l2p like others are telling you.

in PvP

Khyras.8021

In tpvp you fight for point control.Ofc he is bloody camping wtf im supposed to do kite him?What skill or trait for ranger removes boons?Am i supposed to enter every match prepared for mesmers only? Im toughness/power traited i cant use sigil remove boon on crit effectively.Only option i have is to dps him down before his clones kill me i dont have time to dance around him when i see his ret buff up.You think ranger can win war of attrition against mesmer? Just kitten and gtfo.

ummm i play ranger and im traited for same thing u are and i still pull off 40% crits and 47 crit damage and i know how to kite a mesmer when they use null field and chaso storm let alone chaos armor. i dont want to say l2p but in this case g i would say learn to build. i find my builds to be very effective against all and even mesmers. there isnt anything wrong let him sit in his field and such it wont last long and it will be on cooldown. after that go in and do ya thing also be sure to always have some sort of condi removal on your bar and your golden. if a mesmer is kicking your but with as much toughness u say u have then u def need to learn to build or just l2p like others are telling you.

Who says i dont have an effective build? You think i would be playing ranger if i was getting my butt kicked on every 1vs1 encounter? What does having condition removal equiped have with retaliation ?My post is about mesmers having unfair advantage with retaliation they have ( among other things) not about being unable to beat mesmers in general.I am lvl 29 in pvp this is the fist time i have seen ret being highest damage when fighting mesmer,and i think its utter bs.Hence my post.

in PvP

Posted by: Verone.1063

Verone.1063

So many mistakes in this thread…

Let me start:
A) It’s impossible for mesmers to spec for 100% retaliation without giving up something, that something can be dmg or thoughness for example. 100% retal needs boon duration increase and illusionary persona helps.
B) If you die to retaliation I suggest taking boon removal, or trying out something else than a shortbow autoattack ranger (a retaliation mesmer can just stand still while you kill yourself, it is, truly hilarious).
C) Retaliation isn’t achieved by fields or blocking, sorry, L2P. Also, try running away since as far as I know retaliation builds have a though time killing people not attacking them.

in PvP

Posted by: Schwahrheit.4203

Schwahrheit.4203

Yeah and when the Mesmer gets caught in a bad position, NP I GOT INVULNERABILITY. Stop denying that your class is no-brainer. You don’t tell people to L2P if you’re a Mesmer. You’re going to be bad with classes that take skill anyways since you’re attached to a class in which any 5-year old can play.

So please, if you’re a Mesmer don’t tell people to L2P. Because chances are your class is too forgiving to hide your lack of skill. Hypocrites.

Since people are negative about nerfs, how about we buff to balance then?

(edited by Schwahrheit.4203)

in PvP

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

There is many ways for Mesmers to apply retaliation:

- Trait that causes retaliation on block.
- Trait that grants retaliation after using cry of frustration
- Chaos storm
- Phantasm’s can be traited to inflict retaliation when hit.
- Phantasmal Defender when traited shares damage and procs retaliation (supposedly)

@Schwahrheit: I love how you make it sound like you can achieve all things by just rolling your face on a keyboard. Do you really think you can sustain retaliation, block all attacks turn invisible, set up huge damage spikes, lockdown an enemy or any of these other things mesmer are routinely accused of using just mashing a few keys; or for that matter, with a single build?

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in PvP

Posted by: Bombul.2506

Bombul.2506

There is a trait that causes retaliation on block. I use it liberally on my mesmer and it melts thieves. Mesmers have many viable play builds, I think this guy is just shocked because he is so used to seeing the cookie cutter mold.

(edited by Bombul.2506)

in PvP

Bombul.2506

Playing the devils advocate here. Ranger is one of the few, if not the only class, that defeats my mesmer 75+ percent of the time.

in PvP

Bombul.2506

Dude i am hitting mesmer ( with sword because shortbow dmage is crap-350 auto attack dmg with 2304 power lol, and sword auto attack is 600+).I cant kindly ask him to move away from his clones.Ans why i shouldnt be able to hit clones? I should stand there and let them dps me to oblivion?That is a good tactic actually next time i meet mesmer 1vs 1 i will just run or let him kill me that would be less frustrating i think.

You just explained why you get steamrolled. Meleeing a Mesmer with a ranger, and killing clones with melee weapons. Tisk, tisk.

Improvement eminent!!!

in PvP

Khyras.8021

You just explained why you get steamrolled. Meleeing a Mesmer with a ranger, and killing clones with melee weapons. Tisk, tisk.

Improvement eminent!!!

gimme 700 dmg on shortbow 1 skill and i wont be forced to melee him tsk tsk

in PvP

Khyras.8021

Playing the devils advocate here. Ranger is one of the few, if not the only class, that defeats my mesmer 75+ percent of the time.

Probably because they pop rampage as one when they see you so you cant daze them for 20 seconds.If you can survive that you will proly win.

in PvP

Posted by: SlimJim.3087

SlimJim.3087

Im gonna agree with what some of the ppl here are saying, as my ranger usually rocks Mesmers no problem. I think you need to re-think your spec if mesmers are are giving you that much trouble. On the other hand I hate Engies they just stomp the every living crap outta me (especially those bunker kittens)

in PvP

Khyras.8021

Im gonna agree with what some of the ppl here are saying, as my ranger usually rocks Mesmers no problem. I think you need to re-think your spec if mesmers are are giving you that much trouble. On the other hand I hate Engies they just stomp the every living crap outta me (especially those bunker kittens)

My post is about mesmers having unfair advantage with retaliation they have ( among other things) not about being unable to beat mesmers in general.I am lvl 29 in pvp this is the fist time i have seen ret being highest damage when fighting mesmer,and i think its utter bs.Hence my post.

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

Its only going to get worse.
Atm phantasms are bugged so they can’t have retaliation and fury, fury is far better and buggingly overrides retaliation so heavy retal builds atm just aren’t common/very-viable.
Soon enough, after it’s fixed, it’ll only be much worse.

I’ve faught a few REALLY good condi mesmers who are just drooling over the thought of both boons…
(and quite frankly Im already having a hell of a time with them as is, and they even miss a few things (like daze-shattering to interrupt heals), my specs made for 1v1’ing and I’m only sitting at roughly a 30% win rate, which is worse than against pretty much any other spec I’ve faught)

in PvP

Posted by: Haku.5068

Haku.5068

Just fought mesmer with my ranger 1vs1 in tpvp and lost after about 5 mins of combat.

I couldn’t make it past that. Bullkitten too thick.

in PvP

Posted by: Professor Munchies.8472

Professor Munchies.8472

Retaliation is the only way us Mesmers can compete against thieves and warriors and spirit weapon gaurdians. dont nerf/remove it

in PvP

Posted by: Yukishiro.8792

Yukishiro.8792

The real problem with retaliation is that it is too powerful against quick and compound attacks and not powerful enough against slow ones.

in PvP

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I’m just going to leave this here.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Double-AoE-Retaliation-BoonMesmer/first#post413182

Some of you seem a bit misinformed. =p

For very few trait points, you can have nearly permanent retaliation (with no boon duration) and a 66% chance on hit to apply confusion with chaos armor + perma prot/regen/swift.

Against anything that attacks moderately fast, it’s pretty much broken.

Quickness Shortbow Rangers, hell, Quickness anything. And alot of necro channels.

Just annihilated.

(edited by Knote.2904)

in PvP

Posted by: Geff.1930

Geff.1930

That’s a lot of Retaliation damage…

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: josh.7390

josh.7390

Improvement eminent!!!

gimme 700 dmg on shortbow 1 skill and i wont be forced to melee him tsk tsk

More trolls please… I’m not sure about the actual attack speed but SB attacks much faster than sword and give bleedings on side-/backhits… The DMG is completely fine..vAnd taking sword for more dmg is pretty stupid since every1 takes it for the evades… Go axe/torch for dmg. firefield + axe 2 and afterwards autoattack melts everything. .

in PvP

Posted by: Asomal.6453

Asomal.6453

More trolls please… I’m not sure about the actual attack speed but SB attacks much faster than sword and give bleedings on side-/backhits… The DMG is completely fine..vAnd taking sword for more dmg is pretty stupid since every1 takes it for the evades… Go axe/torch for dmg. firefield + axe 2 and afterwards autoattack melts everything. .

4 month old post bro, chill…

in PvP

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

The Mesmer actually has very ample access to Retaliation, to the point of being able to maintain permanent Retaliation with the right build.

The trait Confusing Cry allows Cry of Frustration to apply 5s Retaliation to the Mesmer per Illusion Shattered, that is 15s of Retaliation (without +boon duration) on a 20 – 30s CD.

Temporal Curtain is a Light Field, Illusionary Leap is a double Leap Finisher. A Sword-Focus Mesmer can thus get 10s+ of Retaliation every 20 – 25s.

Combine the above two and voila, permanent Retaliation on a Mesmer. In fact the Retaliation Tank Mesmer is becoming increasingly popular amongst PvP and WvW Mesmers.

in PvP

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

That’s a lot of Retaliation damage…

What did that rock dog ever do to you?

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

in PvP

Posted by: pot.6805

pot.6805

Retaliation is the only way us Mesmers can compete against thieves and warriors and spirit weapon gaurdians. dont nerf/remove it

lol did you just mention warriors to justify retal on Mesmers? A halfway alive mesmer should have no problems beating warriors, with or without retal.

BeeGee
Beast mode

in PvP

Khyras.8021

Omg, my old post

in PvP

Posted by: Master Charles.7093

Master Charles.7093

Retaliation AND confusion are broke, unfun mechanics.

So we have a buff/condi that means you just don’t get to attack anymore (or you’re a skillless noob, right?)

Confusion can be spammed way too hard to be reliably cleansed, so I don’t know how they’re gonna fix that. Retaliation needs to be thrown out and replaced with protection. People shouldn’t have to just stop attacking in the middle of battle while they wait for buffs and condis to fall off: it’s too big of a match changer, and stoopid.