Posted by: Eagelseye.6312

Eagelseye.6312

This map is just fantastic

PvP mail DH and Thief, PvE main Staff Tempest/Druid/PS

Revenenge on Capricon - tactics, thoughts? [Merged]

in PvP

Posted by: Mutaatti.2789

Mutaatti.2789

Please add this map to ranked in season 4! This map is big, but still very strategic. Like in Foefire, bell can change the course of the game, if only one team tries to cap bell and other team just focus on 2 points.

Only thing is, there’s more obstacles in red teams side note and not as many obstacles (LoS) at blue teams side note. That should be fixed so they can be treated equally.

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

some maps maybe should have been separate (like old skyhammer and spirit watch)
but capricorn is less different, its a very standard conquest map. (which is great imho)
so i don’t see why it would need a separate queue.

in PvP

Posted by: Angitia.8391

Angitia.8391

Over all I like the map, but I believe the bell to be too strong in its current form. I like the idea/mechanic of the bell becoming more important as the match continues. However I find that due to is strength by the third ring that it actually hinders the desired comeback mechanic and creates a landslide mechanic. I would recommend either make it diminishing growth (i.e. instead of 25/50/75/100, make it 25/45/60/70, or 20/35/45/50) and/or base the time on when it was last captured instead of the fixed timer. The first suggestion will assist with the desired comeback mechanic since there is a greater reason for the team whith is behind to capture it. While the second will ensure the primary mechanics remain valid, especially in matches where there are prolonged battles at the bell. Right now it is possible for the bell timer to start almost immediately after a capture if it is a prolonged flight, which combined with the increasing importance make the bell the only point of importance in some matches.

I am not sure if the dynamics would be similar in a competitive/pro setup as it is in unranked, so please provide comments on these ideas if they would fall apart in those matches.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

the bell as an important landslide mechanic is fine.
keep it that way.

also, mid does not have direct access to the bell, keep it this way.
mid is basically a shared home in this map since going to mid is faster than going to home.

people need to learn to ignore mid and play and hold sides and rush bell in this map.

in PvP

Posted by: Urejt.5648

Urejt.5648

Capture points and bell are too small. Perma double symbols traps guard is op on this map. NOthing can sustain inside the wormhole.

Yo Hooj Jest Pole

in PvP

Posted by: Hooglese.4860

Hooglese.4860

If there’s a thread dedicated to it, then this should be merged, if not, whatever.

The new maps alright and show a lot of promise, but there are some issues though, and they should be addressed for it to be made ‘competitive’. I’ll put it in point form for simplicity.

• You can use a targeted teleport (like Phase Traversal) to get from mid<->bell.
  • Load distance is an advantage, since the further you can see an enemy the better off you’ll be.
  • You can see home/far from bell but mid is hard to read with the gate mesh. You can see them, but it’s a pain.
  • Teleport pathing towards the bell from the lower area doesn’t work.
  • Far is a huge risk to take/rush, putting a larger emphasis on 2-point strategy.

The above point is the longest and biggest,so I’m putting the reasons why below.

The limited number of paths into the home node (2 as apposed to the usual 3-4), distance to the enemy spawn(10,000), and the openness make it the easiest home node to defend. It also allows for someone to check if the enemy is sending some one to your home along the shortest path to mid, as well as stop them far before (5000 dist) they reach the point. More so than on any other map, you can see the enemy coming for home and scramble a defense in time, as you can see almost to point in both directions. It really doesn’t help with the mid situation being able to see if someone’s heading to home, do something about it, and head back with limited consequence.

This makes it really advantageous to have a dedicated point watcher (likely a mesmer for 1v1 strength, defensive capability, portal for bell, 25% move speed, etc…). It strangles potential for clutch plays that you see on the other maps, yet also slows matches down, so what you end up with is a slow but steady crawl; something the bell concept should in theory prevent but only enhances with the extra points per cap. Kylho’s the closest to this but the small, linear map design allows for rapid counter rotations, making it one of the funnest to play/watch.

There’s a “path” behind each home but it can only be accessed well before the enemy can sneak into it via the giant straight away and is used very rarely.

PvP
revenant – Hoogles Von Boogles
Mesmer – hoogelz

in PvP

Posted by: Ajax of Telamona.6974

Ajax of Telamona.6974

Question is this map have only one exit? If yes this need to change cause when ur team get killed enemy’s camp on exit and wait u

in PvP

Posted by: cyberzombie.7348

cyberzombie.7348

Add random items scattered across the map that can be used as a perk or weapon. Helps create an incentive for using the entire map.

What good is a medic w/o a patient?

in PvP

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

I tried the map today, and in all my games I felt like it took forever to get over to the sides in order to help out.

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Question is this map have only one exit? If yes this need to change cause when ur team get killed enemy’s camp on exit and wait u

Each base has two exits, just like any other PvP map.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Each base has two exits, just like any other PvP map.

The other exits put you in combat. They shouldn’t even be considered exits.

EDIT: I can’t believe I forgot to mention that with my feedback.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in PvP

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

Please dont put this map in the ranked rotation. Right now there’s plenty of people who vote for the map but then, if the selected map isnt capricorn, they simply disconnect or go afk. I dont want THAT to be happening in a rated match in ranked during season.

If you want to implement the map in the ranked rotation, do it after S4 ends, so that everyone will have gotten their achievements and wont ragequit if it doesnt get selected.

Frenk – EU
All is vain

in PvP

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

Please dont put this map in the ranked rotation. Right now there’s plenty of people who vote for the map but then, if the selected map isnt capricorn, they simply disconnect or go afk. I dont want THAT to be happening in a rated match in ranked during season.

If you want to implement the map in the ranked rotation, do it after S4 ends, so that everyone will have gotten their achievements and wont ragequit if it doesnt get selected.

That’s only temporary therefore not a valid reason.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

in PvP

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

Overall I really like the map. As pointed out earlier by other posters, the sides should be more equal when it comes to the ammount of obstructions.

Oh and please fix one more little thing:
When you walk out of the blue base towards mid, through the cave, you have this large rock on the right side. On there are a few palm trees. One of these palm trees is floating, you can stand under it.

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

in PvP

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

Straw Poll Time!

http://www.strawpoll.me/10923753

Also, feel free to expand your thoughts!

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

in PvP

alemfi.5107

My personal thoughts are that the spawning area should be adjusted, for example, the second exit from the spawn has no real purpose, and some people mentioned taking fall damage from jumping/dodge-rolling out.

Bell point is reasonably fair.

Differs from other maps with possibly the most accessible mid point.

Generally speaking, quite a good job on anet’s part! With this, and being able to queue outside of the mists again. (Still on the wish list alternative pvp modes..)

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013

in PvP

Posted by: ZoroDaOtter.3859

ZoroDaOtter.3859

Second exit and the path from that to home point needs adjustmet: you can take fall damage from jumping/rolling out, the stairway down onto the point from the side ledges is difficult to see (it looks like it’s low enough to not take falling damage).

in PvP

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Played this map a bunch, and there needs to be some things addressed before Anet adds it to Ranked match play.

• 1) The two exits from spawn are pointless. Usually if there are two exits, one of them leads to Home point, while the other leads to Mid point. In RotC, both exits are roughly equal when going for Home. The high drop from “Home” exit negates any advantage from being closer. Either lower the drop, or just make it one exit from spawn.
  • 2) The map feels a bit larger compared to other maps. I’m not sure what the measurements are, but even with speed buffs, it feels like it takes forever to get from Home to Far. It could be just an illusion because of the open spaces that allow you to basically see across the map.
  • 3) Bell capture – once the center Bell is captured, the cannon fire should damage opponents and decap all points. Either that, or increase the points awarded. I think the Bell should play a major role in the outcome of the map. If teams are behind, the Bell should give them hope to recover.
In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in PvP

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

I just said a similar thing. The bell shouldn’t reward points, it should fire on enemy controlled points for a certain time dealing damage and knocking opponents down.
-Enemy has 1 pt – it fires on only that point
-Enemy has 3 pts – it fires on all three points.
That way you have a better chance of killing enemies (for points) and recapturing those points (for future points).

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I don’t understand different exists either. It serves no real purpose.

The map is definitely bit too big, it is close to impossible to prevent enemy home cap at begin of the match unless you are thief and dump everything into gap closers but then you end up basically naked vs enemy with full CDs – not a good mix for thief, since Anet didn’t spam them with ridiculous passives like every other class.

I think bell point is kind of OK.

I wish all nodes had better LoS choices so you don’t get sniped across the map while trying to cap point (sup DH, druid, wars). Good example for semi LoS on point is waterfall in Foefire.

Also, from a lot of places around side nodes you can’t use spells like steal, shs etc. – old fashioned no path available. I often literary have to walk up into the point to actually be able to use those spells on enemy.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I just said a similar thing. The bell shouldn’t reward points, it should fire on enemy controlled points for a certain time dealing damage and knocking opponents down.
-Enemy has 1 pt – it fires on only that point
-Enemy has 3 pts – it fires on all three points.
That way you have a better chance of killing enemies (for points) and recapturing those points (for future points).

This is Revenge of the Capricorn, not Skyhammer.

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

what i notice is people seems to ignore the bell thinking its not a major mechanics, its like not getting stillness and tranq together or having opponents kill lord twice each game. or having forest beast gets killed by enemy except it gives twice amount of points every time. in this map a team who can grab the bell everytime and win team fights will win even w/o holding any points. i maybe wrong but this is just what i notice, and just IMO.

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Killerassel.2197

Killerassel.2197

As in the title, I’d like to ask that the (time limited) achievements for the new PvP map can be earned in custom arenas. I haven’t played much, but the collision of players who mainly care for the achievements, like me, vs. players who take the match more serious leads to a slightly toxic environment.

Would this lead to farm maps in custom arenas? Sure. But the alternative is, that achievement hunters take away the fun from the serious PvPers. I don’t want to reduce other players’ fun, but if I don’t, it takes me even longer to finish those achievements.

And while at it: the wording of the achievements is unclear. “Win a rated match” sounds like “play in ranked arena” – which should be impossible for beta maps.

in PvP

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Well to you first point the reason why 2 exits exist is probably to prevent spawn camping.

in PvP

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

“Win a rated match” means the exact same thing it means for the profession titles, and I think what you know what it means there. That is not new wording.

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

As someone who grinded his way to Salty Sea Dog in Unranked, I would still support this. It would DEFINITELY result in “farm maps” for the achieves, but I don’t really see that as a bad thing, for the following reasons:

1. It keeps the achievements hunters and the “serious PvP’ers” separate. I’ve seen many complaints from the latter about having people on their team who are obviously trying to farm Maritime Defender by just bunkering on a point and refusing to ever leave it. Or who just engage in a slugfest at the Bell that’s going nowhere when the enemy Thief has decapped all of their points.

2. It stops “trolls” who pick other maps when the majority have voted for Capricorn. Granted, these players may have picked other maps because they’re just sick and tired of playing Capricorn, but now you have 6+ angry players who are “wasting their time” in a match they don’t want to play because they want to work on Capricorn achievements. At best, you have disgruntled players. At worst, you get leavers.

3. Because the majority of players in Capricorn are there for achieves, you’re not really getting a good representation of player behaviour in the map, because it’s skewed towards activity that will help progress achievements (see: bunkering on a point). This means that if ANet is studying map results for how people operate in Capricorn, you’re not really getting good data about it.

in PvP

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

I feel like the achievements are there just to get more players inside Capricorn, rather than actually getting a good representation etc. Indeed it will be an ill thought out method if that’s the reason, but it shouldn’t be surprising as we’ve already seen the same thing with league wings.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

maybe only for official servers by anet.

if the 10 people can arrange to farm themselves in the official servers then let them be.

in PvP

Posted by: NotASmurf.1725

NotASmurf.1725

The achievements were added to make people test the map for a long period of time. If Anet lets you do it in hotjoin they won’t have proper feedback, but some of the achies encourage zerging anyways.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

i’ll agree that the exit points are not great.

but the cannon i think is ok, as sartharina said, this isn’t skyhammer.

1 thing i think i like is that, since the cannon only gives points, at least this map is purely pvp.

theres no beast/lord for points. every pt you get will be from pvp. pvp to hold/cap a node. pvp to get the cannon.

in PvP

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

I love how it’s players vs players, no npc’s, no siege, just players fighting it out. I wouldn’t want it to fire cannons on players. And I get the impression things are far apart and there are 4 points to fight over so it’s harder for a team to handle it all, as you’ll have to make sacrifices, hence the strategy part of the map.

The bell most definitely already give a losing team a chance at coming back, seen it happen many many times. But honestly if you get into a game with a bad team, you’re going to lose no matter how they tweak the map.

in PvP

Posted by: Erzian.5218

Erzian.5218

Easily my favorite map.

in PvP

Posted by: musu.9205

musu.9205

one thing about this map tho i feel anet could really reduce some useless meaningless structure in it . some are just standing there being pointless . also they need to change the terrain around bell and that lion . currently many spots are so buggy while often a failed cast would cost team a game when fighting around bell . also it needs a bit more los around bell . right now the circle is small and not much los spots . the more aoe the easier to win .

in PvP

Posted by: JETWING.2759

JETWING.2759

Excelente map!

Pros:
- 2nd mechanic is original, fair and do not includes pve elements. The place also is perfect, accessible from all nodes.
- The map size are excelent, with large and good combat áreas.
- Mid and Home points have near same distance from respawn. It’s possible run in direct line to far if wanted.

Cons:

in PvP

Posted by: Marxx.5021

Marxx.5021

For me this is the worst PvP map. It is to big and lags options for positioning. For a solo queue necro its just bad because you get easier focused down than on any other map.

in PvP

alemfi.5107

Bumping up this post, over the weekend 311 people have now voted on the poll, however not too much feedback was given in the thread.

About 17% of you have expressed dissatisfaction with the map, let’s hear why!

For me, after playing for a while over the weekend, the map is a bit on the larger side leading to a lot of unorganized groups to trickle into fights and die.

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

I love it, the map size allows for classes that have been shoe horned into decap/+1 role to actually be impactful, the environment makes it so Rangers/DH/ War can’t camp between mid and a side point, making proper rotations more important.

in PvP

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Have to say, agree with some of the above this is currently my favorite for conquest maps.

• Bell mechanic. Works as is, I wouldn’t change this. The increasing scale of points awarded is incentive enough to encourage players to fight over it. Side that ignore it do so at a serious risk.
  • Size. Scale wise I think it makes sense. If has enough open space and nooks for all sorts of classes.
  • Space exits. There isn’t a huge advantage to using one or the other but I don’t think that alone prevents the map from moving to ranked play.
GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in PvP

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

-1 here. No, achievements should never be available in hot-join matches. Join un-ranked if you are looking to just works towards the achievements.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in PvP

Posted by: Killerassel.2197

Killerassel.2197

@NotASmurf: As others already pointed out, the feedback in unranked with a mix of achievement hunters and, for lack of a better expression, serious PvPers, is already partially invalidating the feedback. If your strategy is focussed on getting the achievements, e.g. ringing the bell, the match plays out differently then when your focus is on winning, e.g. just stalling the opponent at the bell for a bit but meanwhile decapping/capping the points. (And yes, that’s also an achievement. But you get the idea, I hope…)

@TheGrimm: Ok, valid oppinion. But then please don’t complain when you’re in an unranked match and you get a team mate who prioritises getting achievements over winning the match. THAT is the situation I’d like to avoid.

in PvP

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I am glad you cannot do them in hotjoin, or people would start trading wins.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

@NotASmurf: As others already pointed out, the feedback in unranked with a mix of achievement hunters and, for lack of a better expression, serious PvPers, is already partially invalidating the feedback. If your strategy is focussed on getting the achievements, e.g. ringing the bell, the match plays out differently then when your focus is on winning, e.g. just stalling the opponent at the bell for a bit but meanwhile decapping/capping the points. (And yes, that’s also an achievement. But you get the idea, I hope…)

@TheGrimm: Ok, valid oppinion. But then please don’t complain when you’re in an unranked match and you get a team mate who prioritises getting achievements over winning the match. THAT is the situation I’d like to avoid.

for this, i support u. i’m just trying to get achieves, but i have to unrank for them, and now peepio have to play w/ me when i am just getting my achieves

in PvP

Posted by: Arya.3841

Arya.3841

You know you can just do the achievement after the game end, right ?

You can’t do the one with 25 wins but anyway, it’s still 4/5 achievements for free.

in PvP

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

I like how large it is, but I’ve heard that some find it to be too open and I somewhat agree. There are LoS spots at each point, just off the point, but they’re pretty sparse overall. Mid could use one extra LoS spot. Otherwise, I do like the map. At least there aren’t spots where the freaking camera doesn’t zoom in because of a roof!

in PvP

Posted by: Sakri.7234

Sakri.7234

Revenge of the Capricorn should have its own queue for people who want to play it for whatever reason. I am farming the achis still, and it is very annoying when people vote for the other maps and I go to a map I don’t care about. Makes me want to DC on purpose.

in PvP

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

People still don’t seem to get that securing bell consecutively is extremely important. I still see people afk on side nodes of mid when 4 members of the opposite team are dunking bell.

I suppose this is because everyone left for ranked right now.

in PvP

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

Just played this map about 10-12 times over the past few days and it’s awesome. Great addition to ranked in the future. Glad we may have a new ranked map soon.

I played a roaming thief, zerker staff ele, menders ele, fresh air sc/f, scrapper and condi engie. All were fun, although this map clearly favors mobility and rotations heavily. Glad to see this is the end product.