Rework of Resistance Buff ...

in PvP

Posted by: Eiffel.8937

Eiffel.8937

… to be stackable instead of permanent unless boon corrupted

Anet already did this with stability in the past because it was so strong, maybe it is time to do this for resistance too
So if you have 5 stacks of resistance and you get 5 stacks of one condition resistance is used up
or an other variant it´s used up when 5 stacks from different conditions got applied to you

Thoughts ?

(edited by Eiffel.8937)

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

If it stacks it should be one stack per condition, not one stack per each individual stack of an individual condition. Otherwise a mesmer could just negate any amount of resistance almost immediately with MtD and popping 2-3 shatters.

Making resistance a stacking boon would be nice, to limit how many condis you can just ignore with it. But I would just as soon have it only stop conditions from damaging you, but not protect you from the secondary effects. No more not having your heals crippled from poison while you have resistance, no more ignoring all softCC, no more ignoring weakness with resistance. Just being able to ignore all damage from condis is already stupidly strong, no need to have resistance do anything more than that.

in PvP

Posted by: Bluespell.1926

Bluespell.1926

Make condi-engi great again!

Dunno though, should invuln be stacks too you think as it seems comparable but for physical damage?

Edit: Hmm, it seems you cannot take condi damage if invuln, so not comparable maybe

(edited by Bluespell.1926)

in PvP

Posted by: Rune Darkmoor.3269

Rune Darkmoor.3269

Dunno though, should invuln be stacks too you think as it seems comparable but for physical damage?

Edit: Hmm, it seems you cannot take condi damage if invuln, so not comparable maybe

Incorrect. New conditions cannot be applied while your invulnerable, but if a guardian tries to use renewed focus to survive with 15 stacks of burning on them they’re going to melt and go down during the channel if they don’t remove the burn.

Condi damage is the only counter to invulnerability when used properly.

What I find rediculous is that warriors can make themselves take 0 damage from all sources between berserker’s stance and Defy Pain, which has zero counterplay outside hard CC, which only delays the fight, it doesn’t prevent them from effectively resetting it.

in PvP

Posted by: XxsdgxX.8109

XxsdgxX.8109

You don’t ever see the whole spectrum guys, like… the only big problem right now is Berserker’s stupid high sustain while still being able to deal so much pressure, but in the other hand Condition Revenant is kittening garbage, so much that it would literally be nothing if Resistance was any weaker, an already high risk/low reward build getting even worse.

Stella Truth Seeker

(edited by XxsdgxX.8109)

in PvP

Rune Darkmoor.3269

To be fair, I don’t even consider issues it would cause condie Rev until they add a condie elite spec with a condie ranged weapon next expansion. Lol

It just needs so much work at this point I miss the Mallyx from Rev beta with displacement.

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Resistance should maybe be just a % reduction in condi damage. Like the protection of condi damage.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: XxsdgxX.8109

XxsdgxX.8109

To be fair, I don’t even consider issues it would cause condie Rev until they add a condie elite spec with a condie ranged weapon next expansion. Lol

It just needs so much work at this point I miss the Mallyx from Rev beta with displacement.

Valid points

Stella Truth Seeker

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Incorrect. New conditions cannot be applied while your invulnerable, but if a guardian tries to use renewed focus to survive with 15 stacks of burning on them they’re going to melt and go down during the channel if they don’t remove the burn.

What I find rediculous is that warriors can make themselves take 0 damage from all sources between berserker’s stance and Defy Pain, which has zero counterplay outside hard CC, which only delays the fight, it doesn’t prevent them from effectively resetting it.

its 4 sec long, come on.

The resistance on warrior also gets warriors killed against good mesmers and necros.

So please change your 0 counter play comment since its completely false.

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Stability was changed from duration to stacks mostly because of WvW. When it stacked duration, having a large number of guardians gave you huge stability durations.

In PvP, the stacks typically outlast the duration of stability or the pulse rate is high enough to not matter. The only difference in PvP is the potential to stun through pulsing stability (mostly for elite transformations) without boon strip.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Patience and boon corruption.

I play Dagger/focus Necro Spite/Curses/Reaper…. Immob spam and corruption is your friend, especially when they zerk up because some have pulsing stability which equals a chance at pulsating Fear. You put someone under a pulsating Fear effect and you should win.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: The Game Slayer.7632

The Game Slayer.7632

Boon strip. /thread

I am a teef
:)

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

Boon strip. /thread

Unfortunately not every class has access to viable builds with boon strip

in PvP

The Game Slayer.7632

Boon strip. /thread

Not every class has a viable condition build either.

I am a teef

in PvP

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

Boon strip. /thread

And that is because of what Solstace said: Not every class has viable boon strip therefor those classes don’t have viable condition builds.

As a Burn Guardian, I would love my searing flames back so I could strip resistance (assuming it was not pure trash like before). I hate fighting warriors and dying to them not because I was outplayed but because they are immune to damage for what seems like 10s+.

(edited by Azoqu.8917)

in PvP

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

Immunity to an entire damage type is simply very poor design, especially when you then hand it out like candy. This is plain common sense and from day one it was obvious that this buff was poorly designed as a knee-jerk bandaid fix to a condi meta.

Anet tried to balance it by first making it very sparse in availability and duration, almost unique to Revs, but it didn’t last long before it seeped more and more into the game without proper evaluation.

The Warrior is the poster child example of why this buff is poorly designed.

Yes, it should be a % reduction just like Protection. The amount is arguable, but I’d start with 50% (heck even 75% would be OK to try out) and see from there.

Resistance is no different than full immunity to anyone who is built primarily for condition damage, and if we had full immunity being handed out like Resistance is, it wouldn’t last a week before being nerfed. (and for good reason!)

It should be strong, yes, but no one’s primary form of damage output should be so easily completely nullified and for long durations to boot. Boonstrip is only a hypothetical counter that in practice is either ineffective (reapplication) or not available to condition builds.

in PvP

Rune Darkmoor.3269

Immunity to an entire damage type is simply very poor design, especially when you then hand it out like candy. This is plain common sense and from day one it was obvious that this buff was poorly designed as a knee-jerk bandaid fix to a condi meta.

Anet tried to balance it by first making it very sparse in availability and duration, almost unique to Revs, but it didn’t last long before it seeped more and more into the game without proper evaluation.

The Warrior is the poster child example of why this buff is poorly designed.

Yes, it should be a % reduction just like Protection. The amount is arguable, but I’d start with 50% (heck even 75% would be OK to try out) and see from there.

Resistance is no different than full immunity to anyone who is built primarily for condition damage, and if we had full immunity being handed out like Resistance is, it wouldn’t last a week before being nerfed. (and for good reason!)

It should be strong, yes, but no one’s primary form of damage output should be so easily completely nullified and for long durations to boot. Boonstrip is only a hypothetical counter that in practice is either ineffective (reapplication) or not available to condition builds.

/thread

Although. To be fair, if they had boon strip spread out more necro would lose some of its prominence.

I feel like mes should have decent access to it like they did in GW1. Burn guard having it wouldn’t hurt, but then people would feel burn guard is wildly OP. (AOE Boon strip on AOE Justice proc WOULD be pretty OP)

in PvP

The Game Slayer.7632

Boon strip. /thread

And that is because of what Solstace said: Not every class has viable boon strip therefor those classes don’t have viable condition builds.

As a Burn Guardian, I would love my searing flames back so I could strip resistance (assuming it was not pure trash like before). I hate fighting warriors and dying to them not because I was outplayed but because they are immune to damage for what seems like 10s+.

Warriors have been able to withstand condition damage like that since the beginning of the game. It’s only gotten easier to kill them since their counter-condi tool has been transformed into a boon. If resistance gets nerfed, then all the classes that had resistance will have to be compensated in some other way, resulting in the same situation you find yourself in.

L2P. (Because it definitely is a l2p situation.)

I am a teef

in PvP

The Game Slayer.7632

Boonstrip is only a hypothetical counter that in practice is either ineffective (reapplication) or not available to condition builds.

All the meta condi builds have boon strip. Not sure what you’re talking about.

I am a teef

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Boonstrip is only a hypothetical counter that in practice is either ineffective (reapplication) or not available to condition builds.

Last I checked there is only 1 meta condi class. Not much of a sample size there.

Also calling the end of Mesmer sword chain as boon strip access is a bit much. The Mesmer will never be able deterministically clear resistance because of the other boons warrior has.

(I don’t actually have a issue with resistance)

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

(edited by Crinn.7864)

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

Last I checked there is only 1 meta condi class. Not much of a sample size there.

Also calling the end of Mesmer sword chain as boon strip access is a bit much. The Mesmer will never be able deterministically clear resistance because of the other boons warrior has.

(I don’t actually have a issue with resistance)

If there’s only one warrior on the other team then you’ll just have to put up with the fact that that they soft-counter your condi mes. If there’s more than one, switch Illusions for Domination, take the boonstripping trait, and switch sword for scepter. You can outkite a warrior without sword, and the scepter makes up for the loss in condi damage. It will serve you well against both warriors and guardians, though the meta condi build has more general applications. Warrior’s resistance really shouldn’t be giving you that much trouble on meta condi mes though, it takes time but they should be a guaranteed kill. Full melee is a bad matchup versus mes unless you have a thief’s mobility.

in PvP

Crinn.7864

If there’s only one warrior on the other team then you’ll just have to put up with the fact that that they soft-counter your condi mes. If there’s more than one, switch Illusions for Domination, take the boonstripping trait, and switch sword for scepter. You can outkite a warrior without sword, and the scepter makes up for the loss in condi damage. It will serve you well against both warriors and guardians, though the meta condi build has more general applications. Warrior’s resistance really shouldn’t be giving you that much trouble on meta condi mes though, it takes time but they should be a guaranteed kill. Full melee is a bad matchup versus mes unless you have a thief’s mobility.

I don’t play a Mesmer, and I’m aware that out kiting warriors during the resistance window is a thing.

I was just irked by the other poster’s suggestion that relevant amounts of boon rip are available to non-necro.

Basic issue is that stance resistance is pulsing, and no class beyond necro can rip fast enough to handle pulsing boons. That said I don’t have a issue with warrior, I just enjoy poking holes in people’s arguments.

YouTube

(edited by Crinn.7864)

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

I don’t play a Mesmer, and I’m aware that out kiting warriors during the resistance window is a thing.

I was just irked by the other poster’s suggestion that relevant amounts of boon rip are available to non-necro.

Basic issue is that stance resistance is pulsing, and no class beyond necro can rip fast enough to handle pulsing boons. That said I don’t have a issue with warrior, I just enjoy poking holes in people’s arguments.

Yeah Berserker Stance should only give 9s of Resistance imo, not 12s. If they want more then they should have to use Healing Signet.

in PvP

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

And once again, the reason they are meta and not the other condi builds is because they have boon strip. Give it to other classes and watch their condi builds get closer to meta.

in PvP

Crinn.7864

And once again, the reason they are meta and not the other condi builds is because they have boon strip. Give it to other classes and watch their condi builds get closer to meta.

Boon rip is not why other condi builds aren’t meta. Other condi builds aren’t meta because they don’t have the damage application or the survivability to be relevant.

Of the 9 classes, Mesmer is the only class where the condi build has greater survivability and utility than the power build.

YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

@Windwalker – I’m fine with 100% damage reduction from condis with resistance if it didn’t affect any non damaging aspect of condis and if the duration was toned down significantly. I’d rather keep resistance as a really powerful boon that players should be able to use to swing a fight in their favor, but they shouldn’t have much access to it and should have to blow a substantial CD to get more than 1-3 sec of Resistance at a time. But ignoring damage, even just a portion of it, and weakness, and soft CC, and immobilize, and the healing nerf from poison all at once is just way too much.

in PvP

Posted by: Nickzor.2453

Nickzor.2453

Of all the things that people think need to be nerfed resistance…. really? Condi revenants aside not many classes have reliable access to it for long periods and on top of that its a short duration and an actual boon that can be corrupted or straight up removed. Its less OP then half the CDs in the game and requires forethought. If you blow it too early you will just be condi bombed when it drops. I main a condi class and I dont find resistance to be anything even remotely OP….. Just a matter of CD counting. Learn what skills each class brings and pay attention to which they use in a fight.