Reworking passive proc traits- need feedback

in PvP

Posted by: NecroSummonsMors.7816

NecroSummonsMors.7816

Hi all, recently I was thinking about how auto-casting a skill or breakstun or whatever by a trait imo it’s dumbest thing ever created for classes and how us player can suggest ways to fix this.
For example I guess you would all agree that if by chance all the classes had a trait like Automated Medical Response of the engi or Defy Pain of warrior or Mirror of Anguish of mesmer or Versed in Stone of revenant or whatever auto-casting skill not only it will make everyone op but it will extend the duration of a fight vs another player.
Fact is that auto-casting a skill by a trait it’s a not a skilled action done by a player.
So why instead of creating this kind of passive gameplay don’t we players propose a way to make these traits enhance the capabilities of defence of each class?
Imo this not only could benefit basically every class but it could actually balance more properly the differences among all classes by giving everyone the possibility, clearly for every class in its own peculiar way, to tie the enhance of defence with a skilled action done by the player.

I try to give you an example of how a trait could benefit the entire gameplay of class and not only a certain specific type of skill. I know this might seem the easiest example but it’s just to give an idea:

Necromancer
Soul Reaping → Last Gasp -> Gain spectral armor when your health fall below 50%

Instead of giving the necro the spectral armor and get it for free basically doing nothing but take damage, we could change the trait (not the skill that will remain as utility) to make the gain of life force higher by X% for all the necro’s skill that grant life force on use. In this way a necro that isn’t using skill that gain him/her life force won’t simply benefit from this trait so not passive gaining of anything.

I hope you guys will suggest more to actually help me create a thread that could list all the bad passive traits and how to rework them in an active way

(edited by NecroSummonsMors.7816)

in PvP

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

First gluttony is a thing, it is even in the same trait line. Honestly trying to redesign the trait and not even knowing the class. Second every class has a proc on CC, honestly learn the classes. Also a lot of them haven’ been taken. Final thing traits are by design passive: you only have a limitted amount of buttons. The reason why people dislike procs is because it is more apparant then other stuff.

EverythingOP

in PvP

NecroSummonsMors.7816

I did not say I know all the classes that’s why I ask for suggestion in the first place, and mention some of the trait just to give an idea. I didn’t choose gluttony in the first place because my point was another but you clearly missed it. But hey if you have suggestion for all the classes why not post them here? Traits are passive by design because you want them by design but don’t think you can improve them?Do you actually like seeing every class auto doing things that require no skill at all? I personally dislike that kind of gameplay but mine is just an opinion. Thanks for your response even if not construtive at all

in PvP

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

I did not say I know all the classes that’s why I ask for suggestion in the first place, and mention some of the trait just to give an idea. I didn’t choose gluttony in the first place because my point was another but you clearly missed it.

The problem it makes you seem less credible. It really does when you talk about how slow and OP everything would be if every class had auto proc traits. Yet every class has them and a lot aren’t used.

But hey if you have suggestion for all the classes why not post them here?

I don’t because I don’t mind these kind of traits.

Traits are passive by design because you want them by design but don’t think you can improve them?

Traits are passive by design not because I want to but because well there are no trait specific buttons.

Do you actually like seeing every class auto doing things that require no skill at all? I personally dislike that kind of gameplay but mine is just an opinion.

I do actuallly, it brings variation to traits. It is better then getting that 10% damage for free or that 25% movement speed. It requires equal amount of skill.

EverythingOP

in PvP

NecroSummonsMors.7816

Well I guess we’ve different opinions about amount of skill. In my opinion getting a benefit from an action requires in the first place to do that action an ability or skill whatever you want to call it. I’ll try to make my point clear. Take as example adrenal health from the defence line of the warrior aside from the fact that the amount of healing is high or low which can be discussed, this trait require the ability to actually hit someone or something(enemies) to get the benefit of the trait, if a player just waste his adreline bars he won’t get the healing. So what I want to say is that like in this case mentioned in my opinion it’s better to get a benefit from a trait by actually doing something (like for example hitting a player) than just get it free, this is what I intend for fixing passive gameplay traits.
The idea of the my post is not to prove I know everything about gw2 classes and to be the most credible player but to generate a response in players to actually make them think how to suggest more “active” ways to benefit from the passiveness of traits.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

How about defy pain – gain life steal for xxx seconds?

Mirror anguish – your next attack will daze/stun? target for xxx sec.

Some passive traits could be used to reduce recharge time on spells, bit similar to improvisation.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

NecroSummonsMors.7816

Life steal can be a great base to begin with since a player can get the healing by life steal only attacking a player…
The idea of reducing cooldown must be taken carefully but I would suggest tie that with combo of multiple skill, to actually incetive a more complex way of playing and not only spam skills. Combo not only as sequence of skills but also from actually using combo fields + X finisher or you can add multiple effects through the trait on combo fields+ finishers