Ruby = Amber

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: DrMatt.9408

DrMatt.9408

Got into Ruby, played some games, took a break over holidays, now come back and noticed the quality of players is 10x worse, feels like I’m in amber again, morons making noob mistakes playing terribly despite running meta builds. It’s just horrible as solo-quer. Anyone find this? Might just wait on patch now.

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Was kind of expected given how mmr wasn’t reset despite the promises made by Anet. People with no/low mmr shot up the ruby fast, people with high mmr have to deal with lovely 50% w/l algorithm and actually fight hard matches to gain any pips which makes their progression quite slow.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: ReaperJr.5967

ReaperJr.5967

It’s because hitting ruby requires no skill. All you need to do is grind and you will hit it. And by this time, all the pve heroes have had more than enough time to hit it so..

Lord Ninth \\ Champion Magus
- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: laquito.5269

laquito.5269

The only one to blame is ANet for their trash system. PvE scrubs eventually made it to ruby by grouping up and now you’re being matched up with players that probably wouldn’t even make it out of Emerald.

Im stuck soloq ruby t4 aswell, cause I constantly get pve scrubs after winning 1 or 2 matches, it’s annoying as kitten.

Retired GW2 Player

(edited by laquito.5269)

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: Shala.8352

Shala.8352

the time where you will prefer having a good warrior in team than a noob pver scrub using meta build who has no clue on how rotate is coming??? I hope so

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Was kind of expected given how mmr wasn’t reset despite the promises made by Anet. People with no/low mmr shot up the ruby fast, people with high mmr have to deal with lovely 50% w/l algorithm and actually fight hard matches to gain any pips which makes their progression quite slow.

Don’t be silly. This has nothing to do with MMR reset. Even if MMR was reset, people will still be bad and there will still be a large amount of people entering Ruby that kinda stumbled through the other ranks (because Ruby is the first rank where you can lose pips).

So reality is, the people who can leave Ruby and enter Diamond (without the aid of a team) are the real MVP.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

Don’t be silly. This has nothing to do with MMR reset. Even if MMR was reset, people will still be bad and there will still be a large amount of people entering Ruby that kinda stumbled through the other ranks (because Ruby is the first rank where you can lose pips).

So reality is, the people who can leave Ruby and enter Diamond (without the aid of a team) are the real MVP.

There are no MVPs in this system it is completely based on RNG. Lesson for the next league: grind hard at the beginning and you’ll stay with the hard core pvp players.

I didn’t and took it easy. Now I’m with people who double cap points in Ruby. I’m fine if that is where I belong, but this league gives no sense of skill only who got lucky match-ups, or has friends to play with.

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

There are no MVPs in this system it is completely based on RNG. Lesson for the next league: grind hard at the beginning and you’ll stay with the hard core pvp players.

I didn’t and took it easy. Now I’m with people who double cap points in Ruby. I’m fine if that is where I belong, but this league gives no sense of skill only who got lucky match-ups, or has friends to play with.

This is true.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

Got into Ruby, played some games, took a break over holidays, now come back and noticed the quality of players is 10x worse, feels like I’m in amber again, morons making noob mistakes playing terribly despite running meta builds. It’s just horrible as solo-quer. Anyone find this? Might just wait on patch now.

This is because given enough time anyone can “grind” their way into Ruby. The 5-pip tier lock-in ensures this. Given enough matches played, eventually you’ll get your five pips for the lock…. Amber should be the only division where you can’t loose tiers. As I’ve said before, I suspect they designed it this way because they know most people coming to PvP in GW2 are predominately from PvE. PvE players tend to get irate when when they invest a lot of time and get nothing in return; less acceptable of a system that will stop progression once they reach their skill cap…. PvP players who take PvP seriously just want the game to rank them by their skill. They would see tier lock-in as a way of polluting/skewing the system, while those accustom to getting some form of progression (players who mostly PvE) see the tier lock-in as some indication of progression as a reward for all their time invested.

TL;DR Your perspective on not being able to loose tiers says a lot about the type of player you are. As designed, yes mid ranked season Ruby does become the new Amber because of the tier lock-in leading up to Ruby. Ruby becomes a true starting point that measures skill. Amber-Ruby is essentially a grind which can be achieved by using strategy on playing specific times, time composition, purposely dropping MMR at new tier, etc…

I don’t like the system, but as long as GW2 PvP remains imprisoned inside an MMO (it’s not likely to be freed anytime soon) it’s design will always cater to the PvE crowd who comes over to PvP when they get bored doing anything things. For those of us who really love the PvP side of the game, it’s sad… but it is what it is.

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: bigmonto.4215

bigmonto.4215

Well, it works both ways. Your teammate might be bad, but so are your enemies. If you think you are that good, you could have exploit their weakness. Or were you actually carried by those whose who are truly skilled and now in diamond or legendary?

Based on the pvp leaderboards, only 10% of those who joined the ranked matches made it to ruby now. Yes that percentage is increasing. But 10% is not a high number by any stretch. These players are at least decent, and should certainly be able hold their own.

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

DrMatt.9408

I don’t mind the pip system but when you are constantly matched with trash it’s just impossible to progress. You play your heart out and feel like crying when you see one or two baddies ruin it for everyone. That one ranger who always dies at far, that one thief who always dies at mid, off point fights, bunker v bunker duels, double/triple cap, 4vnpc at start, lord rush fail at 100 points seriously wtf

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

DrMatt.9408

Well, it works both ways. Your teammate might be bad, but so are your enemies. If you think you are that good, you could have exploit their weakness. Or were you actually carried by those whose who are truly skilled and now in diamond or legendary?

Based on the pvp leaderboards, only 10% of those who joined the ranked matches made it to ruby now. Yes that percentage is increasing. But 10% is not a high number by any stretch. These players are at least decent, and should certainly be able hold their own.

You can’t carry when people on your team don’t know how to rotate/die instantly at mid

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

You can’t carry when people on your team don’t know how to rotate/die instantly at mid

This, also it always seems like my opponents are less bad a majority of the time. oh wait i’m always queueing against kittening diamond/leg with a smurf premades constantly with 5 soloq’s.

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: Zoricus.2439

Zoricus.2439

It’s been rough. I’ve always prided myself on being an asset to my team. Unfortunately you can only carry so many bad’s with the current meta.

I wouldn’t be so salty if the matches weren’t so lopsided. Good solid hard fought matches are one thing, cant complain either way… what most have seen and myself included is absolute garbage.

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Its kind of funny because everyone who posted here basically said they have carried there team mates to the division they have gotten too.

hmmmmmm i wonder how many of these people have been teamed together.

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

It’s because hitting ruby requires no skill. All you need to do is grind and you will hit it. And by this time, all the pve heroes have had more than enough time to hit it so..

It isn’t just ruby that takes no skill. I know people in legendary who got there by playing on a premade with a ton of bunker mesmers/condi revs when they were completely broken.

As soon as the strengths of those classes were reduced, it became obvious those same people didn’t know how to rotate at all. So what did they do? Switch over to stronghold, use the broken stuff there, and continue to advance from diamond to legend. Of course, they’d always add in people from division 1 and 2 to get better matches.

Moral of the story: the division means nothing. If someone wants to be in a high level, it is easy to do it.

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: Zoricus.2439

Zoricus.2439

It isn’t just ruby that takes no skill. I know people in legendary who got there by playing on a premade with a ton of bunker mesmers/condi revs when they were completely broken.

As soon as the strengths of those classes were reduced, it became obvious those same people didn’t know how to rotate at all. So what did they do? Switch over to stronghold, use the broken stuff there, and continue to advance from diamond to legend. Of course, they’d always add in people from division 1 and 2 to get better matches.

Moral of the story: the division means nothing. If someone wants to be in a high level, it is easy to do it.

It’s easy to do it if you exploit the ever living crap out of it. It also defeats the meaning of actually achieving something. I doubt anyone who has gotten to the upper rank’s while exploiting it have any idea of this concept.

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

None of the league requires skill. Ruby and after just requires more grind than previously. The league tests your grind endurance and how much time you have on your hands before you burn out.

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

ReaperJr.5967

None of the league requires skill. Ruby and after just requires more grind than previously. The league tests your grind endurance and how much time you have on your hands before you burn out.

Pretty much every mmr based game is a grind by that logic then. Dota 2 is a grind, LoL is a grind, CSGO is a grind. None of those games need skill. Everyone can hit competitive tier if they play enough right?

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

Pretty much every mmr based game is a grind by that logic then. Dota 2 is a grind, LoL is a grind, CSGO is a grind. None of those games need skill. Everyone can hit competitive tier if they play enough right?

You are deluding yourself if you think that at ruby level the game magically starts testing your skill just because you can lose tiers as well, because that is the only difference.

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I understand what you say but he does have a point. There isn’t anything different after ruby except that the checkpoints are farther apart. If you can only invest a little time to play pvp it is a wall but if not what worked before will still work, just slower.

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

ReaperJr.5967

You are deluding yourself if you think that at ruby level the game magically starts testing your skill just because you can lose tiers as well, because that is the only difference.

It’s funny because you didn’t address my point at all. And it is a pretty big difference. It’s like ruby is the trench for dota 2 (3k mmr) and then there’s checkpoints at 4k mmr (diamond) and 5.5k mmr (legendary). Does that mean a 3k player is as good as (a) 5.5k mmr player? No.

And through my experience, I have experienced mostly better and better players as I climb. The number of players who are good and still in ruby and below are a minority.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

(edited by ReaperJr.5967)

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: Engel.6029

Engel.6029

It’s funny because you didn’t address my point at all. And it is a pretty big difference. It’s like ruby is the trench for dota 2 (3k mmr) and then there’s checkpoints at 4k mmr (diamond) and 5.5k mmr (legendary). Does that mean a 3k player is as good as (a) 5.5k mmr player? No.

And through my experience, I have experienced mostly better and better players as I climb. The number of players who are good and still in ruby and below are a minority.

I’ve seen you play it doesn’t take an abundance of skill to get to legendary.

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I don’t get the logic in this….

There have been people complaining that MMR wasn’t reset which leaves newer players to shoot through the ranks because they don’t have 50/50 win/loss ratio like the older players…

That means, logically, the people stuck in ruby, are the players who have played PvP before HoT because they have played long enough to have established the 50/50 ratio which would make it even harder to leave ruby…

Unless it’s intended design to have a rank 30 or less shoot through to legendary with a pile of easy match makings while the level 80’s fight the system that forces 50/50 because we’ve played long enough to be established with the MMR.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

Posted by: hurrado.2346

hurrado.2346

I think the OP is on to something, I got ruby within the first week after the league system came out, then slowed down knowing chances of getting to diamond would take a lot more patience. But the matches I had in ruby earlier were some of the most competitive matches with extremely close scores and everyone knew what they were doing.

Now I’m crawling through the last tier of ruby, and keep getting dropped down little by little, but I’ve noticed teammates that do extremely stupid things that singlehandedly cost the team the win, such as rushing far straight to their death at the start of a match, and then those same players get all toxic and blame everyone else for their mistake, which in turn gets me to call them on their mistake and they still act like they were carrying the team…

I have definitely become more aggressive in telling players what to do, because I don’t have the confidence in them that I did when I was ruby very early on and knew my teammates could handle themselves for the most part. I guess next season I need to just blow through ruby to avoid them, instead of putting my foot slightly on the brakes since I was having enjoyable matches.

Ruby = Amber

in PvP

ReaperJr.5967

I’ve seen you play it doesn’t take an abundance of skill to get to legendary.

Don’t remember you. Probably one of my team mates who threw the game by not rotating properly.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

(edited by ReaperJr.5967)