SPVP gear usable as Town Clothes

in PvP

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

So, I finally hit 30 and all of my characters ( all 8 ) are now in the gear I’ve wanted for a while. They all look great and I’ve spent 400+ hours getting this. So, the question I have is, why can’t I at least use this set in major cities? Why is 100% of the time I’ve spent in this game basically for nothing as soon as I leave the tiny little underpopulated instance called Heart of the Mist?

I don’t understand why I can’t at least display this gear in non-combat cities. I’ve worked very hard for this gear and have nothing to show for it.

Edit due to brainstorming: I think there should be a “skin locker” and once you unlock a skin, regardless of the means in which you obtained it, you should have that skin to use on any gear of like type, in any facet of the game. That is all.
Heck, ANET can even monetize it by adding each slot in your skin locker as being unlocked by gems. Each slot is X amount of gems. You then decide, “man this gear looks so epic, I want to use it over and over throughout the game, I’ll drop X amount of money to ‘lock it in’”

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

(edited by felivear.1536)

in PvP

Posted by: Syeria.4812

Syeria.4812

Town clothes would actually be a really good compromise for being able to use your sPvP items in PvE. I fully support this request.

in PvP

Posted by: Tsubaki.2508

Tsubaki.2508

That’s a great idea, and gives much more usage to townclothes.

in PvP

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

Yes, yes, yes! I suggested a similar idea quite a while back. I don’t even PvP enough to have good PvP skins, but geez do I feel bad for the people that do and are left with nothing for the “real” part of the game (by “real” I mean the portion of the game that 90% of the content is focused on). I also think it’s foolish that uber PvPers are still at like level 5 in the “real” game even after having spent hundreds of hours in PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

Why is 100% of the time I’ve spent in this game basically for nothing as soon as I leave the tiny little underpopulated instance called Heart of the Mist?

Because that’s the only part of the game you’ve actually put the time in on. Whoah, mind blown.

I’ve worked very hard for this gear and have nothing to show for it.

Hmm, PvE’ers with legendaries and awesome gear face a similar issue when going into the PvP area as well. Strange how that works.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Latorn.4209

Why is 100% of the time I’ve spent in this game basically for nothing as soon as I leave the tiny little underpopulated instance called Heart of the Mist?

Because that’s the only part of the game you’ve actually put the time in on. Whoah, mind blown.

I’ve worked very hard for this gear and have nothing to show for it.

Hmm, PvE’ers with legendaries and awesome gear face a similar issue when going into the PvP area as well. Strange how that works.

Why does it work like that? Why are there two separate grinds within one game? Can’t my character be a single character?

in PvP

Posted by: Suzu.4193

Suzu.4193

+1 the pvp awards are just skins so why not just use them as skins in pve as well.

in PvP

Braxxus.2904

Why does it work like that? Why are there two separate grinds within one game? Can’t my character be a single character?

TLDR: Because the gaming community and it’s desire for self segregation and 1-upmanship require it to be that way.

Long version:
It used to work this way.
Then MMO’s started to get away from open world PvP and make it a mini-game within the game. Meanwhile the people still forming raids, pushing new content and such would acquire top-end gear. Then they would go play the pvp mini-game, which some players took very seriously and have pretty hefty stat advantages. PvPers got mad and started screaming for gear advantages in the pvp minigame that would render the PvE gear obsolete, OR for equal gear to the PvE’ers.

Well for a while games had the 2nd option, and PvE’ers got mad as all hell that a few BiS items for their raiding happened to be from PvP, where they’d have to deal with the competitive elitism (vs the time-based elitism of raiding, which is very hypocritical yes but that’s another rant).

This further splintered communities into distinct districts, who then had to have completely seperate gear grinds to validate the time spent by either party in their respective parts of the game. Of course PvE’ers constantly get their gear upgraded with new content which eventually would push the statistical difference high enough to compete with PvP gear again and so PvP gear would have to increase as well. More grind.

ANet here has gone with a decent option which is to fully embrace the segregation by saying “Ok, neither part has any effect on the other part. EVER. Enjoy”…
But now the PvPers still aren’t happy (which is ironic since the PvE’ers are usually called out for being carebear and wanting things handed to them…) and want their cake and to eat it too if/when they choose to go into PvE (which translates into WvW mind you).

The other option would be to get rid of the whole PvP minigame design and go back to the original design of early MMO’s where there is only the “world”. All PvP, all PvE happens in the same world. No instanced PvP minigame. No segregation. One grind for all. However this would mean players would need to go back to actually playing the game in it’s entirety. It would also mean people would have to deal with open world PvP WHILE they PvE’d. Or go to a PvE only server where it wouldn’t matter.

But neither party would be happy with that as history has already gone that route and the self segregation would most likely happen all over again.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Posted by: RaZaC.1963

RaZaC.1963

This is a good suggestion. Anyhow I’m still waiting to be able to see my character selection menu with sPvP gear -_-

in PvP

Suzu.4193

TLDR: Because the gaming community and it’s desire for self segregation and 1-upmanship require it to be that way.

Long version:
Then MMO’s started to get away from open world PvP and make it a mini-game within the game. Meanwhile the people still forming raids, pushing new content and such would acquire top-end gear. Then they would go play the pvp mini-game, which some players took very seriously and have pretty hefty stat advantages. PvPers got mad and started screaming for gear advantages in the pvp minigame that would render the PvE gear obsolete, OR for equal gear to the PvE’ers.

Well for a while games had the 2nd option, and PvE’ers got mad as all hell that a few BiS items for their raiding happened to be from PvP, where they’d have to deal with the competitive elitism (vs the time-based elitism of raiding, which is very hypocritical yes but that’s another rant).

This further splintered communities into distinct districts, who then had to have completely seperate gear grinds to validate the time spent by either party in their respective parts of the game. Of course PvE’ers constantly get their gear upgraded with new content which eventually would push the statistical difference high enough to compete with PvP gear again and so PvP gear would have to increase as well. More grind.

ANet here has gone with a decent option which is to fully embrace the segregation by saying “Ok, neither part has any effect on the other part. EVER. Enjoy”…
But now the PvPers still aren’t happy (which is ironic since the PvE’ers are usually called out for being carebear and wanting things handed to them…) and want their cake and to eat it too if/when they choose to go into PvE (which translates into WvW mind you).

The other option would be to get rid of the whole PvP minigame design and go back to the original design of early MMO’s where there is only the “world”. All PvP, all PvE happens in the same world. No instanced PvP minigame. No segregation. One grind for all. However this would mean players would need to go back to actually playing the game in it’s entirety. It would also mean people would have to deal with open world PvP WHILE they PvE’d. Or go to a PvE only server where it wouldn’t matter.

But neither party would be happy with that as history has already gone that route and the self segregation would most likely happen all over again.

All he is suggesting is a option to show our spvp gear in TOWN clothes they have NO stats.

No need to go on a rant.

Why you so mad anyway?

in PvP

Braxxus.2904

All he is suggesting is a option to show our spvp gear in TOWN clothes they have NO stats.

No need to go on a rant.

Why you so mad anyway?

Mad? He asked why the double grind is how it is. I explained why it is.
Has nothing to do with mad, chummo.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

because getting some PvE sets is much harder then same sets in PvP (and vice versa ofc)… how it would be fair to brag about you being awesome when you did almost nothing for it?

and if you add showing PvP items as town clothes in PvE, what would PvErs get in PvP? same old town clothes? but they worked so hard in PvE for these sets, why they must stay in HotM with a poor default set?

this is just a bad idea… if you want it, earn it… this game took so much farm out of it and you can get everything quite fast (except very high rank in PvP or legendaries in PvE), so dont cry and do something for it

in PvP

Latorn.4209

Long version:

Short reply to a long post XD

I suppose you’re saying this because of the introduction of ascended gear? I mean previously a PvEr would have no advantage of going into PvP with their gear, even now the system of gear standardization still exists. In a system of purely horizontal progression, I’m wondering why skins can’t be used in PvP… I’m not talking about stats at all XD

in PvP

felivear.1536

Long version:

Short reply to a long post XD

I suppose you’re saying this because of the introduction of ascended gear? I mean previously a PvEr would have no advantage of going into PvP with their gear, even now the system of gear standardization still exists. In a system of purely horizontal progression, I’m wondering why skins can’t be used in PvP… I’m not talking about stats at all XD

Ya, that’s something that I guess he assumes I would have a problem with. Skins are cosmetic and have no bearing on anything except to show what you’ve accomplished. A PVER is no better off if he uses his skin in SPVP while I’m no better off when doing the opposite. It’s just odd to me that the gear is identical in looks, it just has a different name and means to obtain it. If I’ve spent a ridiculous amount of time getting the gear in SPVP, why should I have to spend a similar amount of time to re-obtain it through PvE?

in PvP

felivear.1536

I think there should be a “skin locker” and once you unlock a skin, regardless of the means in which you obtained it, you should have that skin to use on any gear of like type, in any facet of the game. That is all.

Heck, ANET can even monetize it by added each slot in your skin locker as being unlocked by gems. Each slot is X amount of gems. You then decide, “man this gear looks so epic, I want to use it over and over throughout the game, I’ll drop X amount of money to ‘lock it in’”

In fact, I think it’s good enough of an idea that I’ll add it to OP.

in PvP

Posted by: Akumetsu.8591

Akumetsu.8591

just a personal thing i would love my spvp gear to mean something in wvw since its another PVP area. figure out a stat conversion that would be fair. so like full orian is = to full orian in pve terms.

One hope, One dream, One Dagger Thief
K U R A Enguard [ENG], Pretty Princess Squad [MEN]

in PvP

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

Agreeing that players who have unlocked cool spvp skins should be able to transmute the skin onto their pve gear. Should be able to strut their rank 80 swag or whatever. I had just assumed that they could. Seems kinda cruel if they cannot imo.

in PvP

Braxxus.2904

Ya, that’s something that I guess he assumes I would have a problem with. Skins are cosmetic and have no bearing on anything except to show what you’ve accomplished. A PVER is no better off if he uses his skin in SPVP while I’m no better off when doing the opposite. It’s just odd to me that the gear is identical in looks, it just has a different name and means to obtain it. If I’ve spent a ridiculous amount of time getting the gear in SPVP, why should I have to spend a similar amount of time to re-obtain it through PvE?

Actually what the real point was, would you want the reverse to be true as well?
If someone spends a rediculous amount of time and effort, and yes it’s a grind even if it is only against AI, to obtain radakitten gear in PvE including a legendary weapon would you want them to be able to use this in SPvP. It’s just a skin right?

• Part of it comes from, and I realize it was said in multiple other threads, some ‘PvPers’ (noticed I hate the whole segregation of gametype mentality?) also want to get levels and gold etc for PvE through their time spent PvPing in the mists as well. I realize you’re just asking for skins, and so I still refer you to the question of "Do you want it to work both ways, or only to the benefit of only mist warriors?
Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Suzu.4193

Actually what the real point was, would you want the reverse to be true as well?
If someone spends a rediculous amount of time and effort, and yes it’s a grind even if it is only against AI, to obtain radakitten gear in PvE including a legendary weapon would you want them to be able to use this in SPvP. It’s just a skin right?

• Part of it comes from, and I realize it was said in multiple other threads, some ‘PvPers’ (noticed I hate the whole segregation of gametype mentality?) also want to get levels and gold etc for PvE through their time spent PvPing in the mists as well. I realize you’re just asking for skins, and so I still refer you to the question of "Do you want it to work both ways, or only to the benefit of only mist warriors?

It was like that in GW1, we could take our pve skins into pvp and play, but if you made a pvp only character it was just stuck in the pvp only area’s.

No one complained then and why would some pve’er complain about a pvper who gets to show his hard earned skins in just town clothes, hell only reason i go to pve is lions arch to the bank all of my characters are lvl 1.

in PvP

Posted by: pinkglow.3429

pinkglow.3429

You can use town clothes in heart of the mist.
Tbh, the town clothes aren’t done for being pvp gear at this point. However they would make money if they made sweet looking gear that actually are “rune:able” and without town clothes “special effects” that people could use in pvp and that they sold in gemstore. They shouldnt be better looking than current gear, but cute gear and perhaps some a little more epic, and a little more expensive.