SPvP Chat - [merged]

SPvP Chat - [merged]

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

I think the viewer expectation was that you talk about the future of the game. If we’re watching the cast… we probably already understand the basics of PvP.

I appreciate that you answered a question about if new game types would be introduced, and talked about death match, so let me just spell this out.

You lied to your fanbase and a lot of us are upset. We wanted a game inspired by GW1 GvG or at least Hall of Heroes. I think it’s generous to call this inspired by GW1s 4v4 arenas — definatly not the more popular of your game modes.

Your game lacks depth of strategy. You talked about team composition, no talk of build types like VIMWAY, Blood Spike, Ele Spike, NS, Bonds, Healing Ball, Ranger Spike, Ranger Interupt, I’d even take IWAY.

The reality is that this game, Guild Wars 2, is not a sequel to GW1 in PvP. It is a new game, and that game, unlike GW1, does not have a deep or rich PvP. It has a PvP. Shallow, clunky, buggy, red headed, and from the man before you.

You have a large fanbase that doesn’t want death match, we want depth. You did not provide. We want you to now. We wanted a video talking about how you would expand the depth of your game — not another pitiful attempt to convince us it already has depth. We tried that. I honestly really tried that. I gave you an open minded honest go and I found your gameplay lacking, I offered thoughtful constructive criticism, and you responded to small details slowly.

Just announce development of a game mode with the same flavor of fun as Guild Wars 1. Don’t put it in an expansion, nobody trusts you enough to spend more money. You betrayed that trust.

SPvP Chat - [merged]

in PvP

Posted by: Baam.2493

Baam.2493

SPvP Chat - [merged]

in PvP

Posted by: AlBundy.7851

AlBundy.7851

I think depth and build diversity went out the window when they introduced the tiered trait system.

SPvP Chat - [merged]

in PvP

Posted by: Libertine Lush.1320

Libertine Lush.1320

There were 2 highlights for me:

1) They’re using custom arenas to see what alternate modes players like to play most. Though they are nonetheless testing other modes already.
2) They’re working on a way to communicate with your team with in-game commands, for those without a mic.

SPvP Chat - [merged]

in PvP

Posted by: fishybill.6908

fishybill.6908

HAX!

Watch from 10:35, the Engi goes from 3k to 24k HP, suppose it helps being a Dev, mere mortals like us can’t do that!

SPvP Chat - [merged]

in PvP

Posted by: FirstBlood.7359

FirstBlood.7359

GuildWars Nostalgia:

Your game lacks depth of strategy. You talked about team composition, no talk of build types like VIMWAY, Blood Spike, Ele Spike, NS, Bonds, Healing Ball, Ranger Spike, Ranger Interupt, I’d even take IWAY.

3…2…1…SPIKE!

Is that the depth and strategy you are talking about? Most of your listed builds had been based on pressing one button at the right time. GuildWars2 has it flaws, but CQ requires more teamplay and has a stronger focus on individual skill than Hero’s Ascent ever had.

Tz tz

SPvP Chat - [merged]

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

. GuildWars2 has it flaws, but CQ requires more teamplay and has a stronger focus on individual skill than Hero’s Ascent ever had.

But conquest revolves around outnumbering people. You arent going to outskill a bunker on your own. You simple bring more people. You want to cap a defended base quickly? Bring more people. I fail to see how a 3v3 takes less teamplay and individual skill than sending a guy to kill somebody already engaged in combat.

At any rate i totally understand why you (arenanet) want to make conquest the best it can be before you divide up the playerbase, even though i think a true arena format would bring a lot of people back at the same time. I do appreciate the explanation and the fact that new modes are at least in development.
Just dont make it an expansion thing, that kitten wouldnt fly, since i as somebody who doesnt quite enjoy conquest do not feel i have gotten the experience or options i was promised, and i refuse to pay upwards of 100+ bucks when there are other games that provide it for free. Get me hooked before the expansion and its a different story, but using it as another pvp player money-grab promise would reflect badly on your true intentions to make a game where pvp’ers are treated with a fair modicum of respect.

(edited by GankSinatra.2653)

SPvP Chat - [merged]

in PvP

Posted by: D I V A.6018

D I V A.6018

I watched the live stream today and Jonathan Sharp actually answered my question about more game modes. I am really excited that Anet slowly but steadily realizes that conquest is not the best game type.
GW1 had the best PvP of any game known to me. And still has, although not many people are left playing it.

Dividing the playerbase… hm. GvG was always for hardcore players. HA was for experienced players and hardcore players. Random Arena was 95% Random-PvPers and 5% hardcore gamers.

I don’t see the point why Anet would reject a simple and easy 4v4 DM Arena?

if Anet really wants to encourage people to try new gametypes via custom arenas, then why are our customizations so limited?
DIVA

SPvP Chat - [merged]

in PvP

ryston.7640

I give them some small credit for Fielding the question about new game modes.

But then they just talked about small team deathmatch.

There’s still no talk about introducing a game mode anything similar to Guild Wars 1. Frankly I think a death match would be a small improvement on a deeply bad PvP experience.

Even if you all 5 fight at mid the game just isn’t that much fun. It’s a fuster cluck with limited build variety.

Bad game is bad and needs devs to acknowledge and start over.

I think at this point they could hire Jay Wilson. He at least had the sense to launch his awful game without PvP if it didn’t have PvP ready. Seriously, that guy, the guy who managed to ruin a diablo series game… had better judgement than arenanet on this.

SPvP Chat - [merged]

in PvP

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

I watched the live stream today and Jonathan Sharp actually answered my question about more game modes. I am really excited that Anet slowly but steadily realizes that conquest is not the best game type.
GW1 had the best PvP of any game known to me. And still has, although not many people are left playing it.

Dividing the playerbase… hm. GvG was always for hardcore players. HA was for experienced players and hardcore players. Random Arena was 95% Random-PvPers and 5% hardcore gamers.

I don’t see the point why Anet would reject a simple and easy 4v4 DM Arena?

if Anet really wants to encourage people to try new gametypes via custom arenas, then why are our customizations so limited?
DIVA

Yeah, you can’t really do alternate game types with Custom Arena as it is now. As well, you are playing on maps designed for one game type. It won’t work as well as a map designed for the sort of game modes people want.

Right now, it’s mostly stating what you’re trying to do in the Custom Arena title and hope people play along. You can’t enforce anything via rule changes. Custom Arenas are an inadequate solution to a problem that’s existed since beta.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

SPvP Chat - [merged]

in PvP

ryston.7640

Agreed, They basically just said:

Hey guys, we didn’t do our jobs for the first year… we sorta put some tools out there so some of you can try and enjoy our game despite our lack of support. We’ll wait and see what you do with them… then we’ll add stuff to support that.

When the developers blogged about GW2 PvP i got the distinct impression it was being supported. That was a lie.

I thought they like, made tools to develop servers and game modes, and started with AAA Esport in mind, so things like leaderboards, and matchmaking, and what not would be easy to implement and in by launch. Then they could release some of these tools to the public so they could tinker with new game modes in private servers.

As it is, they stalled for a long time to release ‘paid tournaments’ which failed as horribly as the community said they would — then a year later put out all that stuff that should have been in at launch. But it’s buggy, and in a beta state.

I’m mad. I’m really mad. I started a thread asking anet to provide new leadership on their PvP team. I want something inspired by Guild Wars 1

SPvP Chat - [merged]

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

I think the viewer expectation was that you talk about the future of the game. If we’re watching the cast… we probably already understand the basics of PvP.

I appreciate that you answered a question about if new game types would be introduced, and talked about death match, so let me just spell this out.

You lied to your fanbase and a lot of us are upset. We wanted a game inspired by GW1 GvG or at least Hall of Heroes. I think it’s generous to call this inspired by GW1s 4v4 arenas — definatly not the more popular of your game modes.

The reality is that this game, Guild Wars 2, is not a sequel to GW1 in PvP. It is a new game, and that game, unlike GW1, does not have a deep or rich PvP. It has a PvP. Shallow, clunky, buggy, red headed, and from the man before you.

You have a large fanbase that doesn’t want death match, we want depth. You did not provide. We want you to now. We wanted a video talking about how you would expand the depth of your game — not another pitiful attempt to convince us it already has depth. We tried that. I honestly really tried that. I gave you an open minded honest go and I found your gameplay lacking, I offered thoughtful constructive criticism, and you responded to small details slowly.

Just announce development of a game mode with the same flavor of fun as Guild Wars 1. Don’t put it in an expansion, nobody trusts you enough to spend more money. You betrayed that trust.

I didn’t like gw1 even a little bit. So im glad its not like gw1. This game has a lot of problems though but its problem is NOT that its not gw1.

SPvP Chat - [merged]

in PvP

ryston.7640

daydream — a lot of people bought the game with the expectation it might be a little like Guild Wars 1.

Pretty sure the Devs didn’t advertise that they would be starting over from scratch and taking no inspiration from Guild Wars 1.

Pretty sure they said AAA Esport, which GW1 was pretty close to being, if only team sizes were a bit smaller.

If they wanted to introduce a new kind of PvP for players like you, in addition to something that was the spiritual successor to GW1, that would have been fine. But instead they replaced it. That wasn’t cool. This … rivals Star Wars episodes 4, 5, and 6. Because even if I respect Star Wars more than I did Guild Wars, the failure was more pronounced.

SPvP Chat - [merged]

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

daydream — a lot of people bought the game with the expectation it might be a little like Guild Wars 1.

Pretty sure the Devs didn’t advertise that they would be starting over from scratch and taking no inspiration from Guild Wars 1.

Pretty sure they said AAA Esport, which GW1 was pretty close to being, if only team sizes were a bit smaller.

If they wanted to introduce a new kind of PvP for players like you, in addition to something that was the spiritual successor to GW1, that would have been fine. But instead they replaced it. That wasn’t cool. This … rivals Star Wars episodes 4, 5, and 6. Because even if I respect Star Wars more than I did Guild Wars, the failure was more pronounced.

Im not saying this game isn’t without problems , im just saying it needs to be its own thing. IF gw1 has some good suggestions or ideas, then that’s fine, but sometimes the gw1 players are almost cultlike in there commitment to how things used to be.