SPvP? More like STvT (Thief V Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

In the majority of my games nearly or over half of the players are thieves, followed by guardians. It has totally killed the fun of SPvP due to the fact most of them are all running the same zerker heartseeker spam build. Some games you’ll have a team that is 6 thieves and 2 others. It doesn’t matter how “skilled” you are when you have a pack of 4 thieves running around instakilling.

I’m find claims of thieves being balanced highly suspect when it’s clear that the build is easy enough to use that anybody can use use it to decent effect. At least 100b requires timing and roots you in place. I feel that this will end up killing SPvP cause honestly I know i for one don’t feel like facing so many thieves even if we win the match. Rather than nerfing the build it seems like thief needs some major redesigns. Currently they are just as bad if not worse than assassins in GW1.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in PvP

Posted by: CachoDm.4639

CachoDm.4639

I’m sorry that there is a pack of 4 it would be 5 with me but I took a 1 week break.

R48 Nooßlêss Multiclass Looking for a best friend.

in PvP

CachoDm.4639

But there is builds vs thieves and you should follow your team since they kinda zerg in hot joins.

in PvP

BurrTheKing.8571

But there is builds vs thieves and you should follow your team since they kinda zerg in hot joins.

But that’s the whole problem, SPvP encourages zerging glory farms when it shouldn’t. It’s because the game rewards you for running easy classes like thief that that we see so many of them. SPvP will have to make some major changes soon in addition to balancing or it will die and have a slim chance of ever recovering.

Just an angry old man…

in PvP

CachoDm.4639

I was trying to help on your question zerging is another topic. But yea I don’t like being in the not zerging team since they will win all the time.

in PvP

BurrTheKing.8571

I was trying to help on your question zerging is another topic. But yea I don’t like being in the not zerging team since they will win all the time.

Actually, I find the zerging team tends to lose if someone just backcaps them. It’s just boring when that’s all you see so the game needs to offer significantly more incentive to WIN not just get kills.

Just an angry old man…

in PvP

CachoDm.4639

Not in 16 peeps servers o.o

in PvP

Posted by: Acandis.3250

Acandis.3250

Stop playing hotjoins!!!!!!!

I run a guild dedicated to introducing new players to the tournament system. Message me in-game if you’re interested in joining.

in PvP

Posted by: Harrier.9380

Harrier.9380

Well, OP got some point…

Attachments:

“Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit,
because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure.”

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Thieves do well in sPvP because the amount of people. Its easy for them to pick out weak targets quickly burst them down and get away, in the mass confusion of players. Same goes for WvW.

tPvP not so much.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Stop playing hotjoins!!!!!!!

I run a guild dedicated to introducing new players to the tournament system. Message me in-game if you’re interested in joining.

Take that offer, you will enjoy PvP 10x more. Sounds like you’re playing the actual game, trying to score points, but hotjoins are just a place for burst/mobility specs to run clockwise.

in PvP

Posted by: Kultas Sunstrider.9218

Kultas Sunstrider.9218

Well, OP got some point…

Wow, so many high ranks, it’s impressive. Thief is really overpowered, and this screenshot just proved it.

Kultas / Thief / Desolation [EU]
“Don’t criticize what you can’t understand”

in PvP

Posted by: Harrier.9380

Harrier.9380

Well, OP got some point…

Wow, so many high ranks, it’s impressive. Thief is really overpowered, and this screenshot just proved it.

It’s not a discussion whether thief is op or not. Can’t deny there’s a kittenload of thieves and mesmers in hotjoins though.

Talking about mesmers, here’s another one:

Attachments:

“Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit,
because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure.”

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

Add it to the long list of problems with hotjoins.

This has more to do with a hotjoin issue than thief issue. IF you brough a 4 thief group to a tourny game where the skill cap on players is higher and you run into premades fairly frequently said 4 thief group would be in for being farmed.

in PvP

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

stealth is completely broken in this game… as long as a class can dissapear at will every 5 seconds we will continue to see more and more thieves and mesmers, and the worst part is that these two classes are so bursty.. it rewards you for playing bad.

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

I’ve been playing this a lot, I don’t see that many mesmers compared to warriors and thieves, I actually see more warriors and me personally I have issues playing against warriors when I play my thief because stupid 100b.
As for thieves it really isn’t that hard to play against them all you do is move in circle and if you know there going to try backstab you just keep attacking the air of where you think they are at.
100b warrior is so stupid, I get immobilized and BAM down, and some people think they got backstabbed or whatever but its actually a warrior doing 100b on you, not a thief killing you.

in PvP

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

I’ve been playing this a lot, I don’t see that many mesmers compared to warriors and thieves, I actually see more warriors and me personally I have issues playing against warriors when I play my thief because stupid 100b.
As for thieves it really isn’t that hard to play against them all you do is move in circle and if you know there going to try backstab you just keep attacking the air of where you think they are at.
100b warrior is so stupid, I get immobilized and BAM down, and some people think they got backstabbed or whatever but its actually a warrior doing 100b on you, not a thief killing you.

God as a thief I hate that bullrush 100b combo so much. Yeah I shadow step out of it, when it’s not on CD. And they say we just press two buttons to win a fight.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in PvP

Posted by: Leadfoot.9071

Leadfoot.9071

haha, sorry but thief complaining about 100b warrior is kind of amusing. Both have extremely effective burst that can be hard to avoid if you are distracted. But 100b warrior is way easier to avoid than thief backstab burst imo. Telegraphed bull charge + rooted warrior during 100b as opposed to thief vanishes from range (you may not see him) cnd/steal simultaneous into bas venom root + backstab – all in about 2seconds. I don’t think either are unbalanced though, at least not by much (I think heartseeker spam is kind of lame) because they both sacrifice quite a bit.

in PvP

Posted by: titaniumm.2983

titaniumm.2983

the only real broken thing about thief is HS distance, i found invisibility a little broken(just a little, not a real problem), but not so much like hearthseeker..with 3 initiative they come closer to you, every time they want..even if u chill or cripple him..

a little cd of 2-3 sec would be more than ok, imo

and the thief class became more skill dependent..

i’m not english, so forgive me if i say something wrong.

in PvP

BurrTheKing.8571

God as a thief I hate that bullrush 100b combo so much. Yeah I shadow step out of it, when it’s not on CD. And they say we just press two buttons to win a fight.

100b requires 2 to 3 utility skills to be effective, you also can’t stealth to get out of the fight when things look bad and 1 little cripple means even the mobility of the GS won’t always save you.

Just an angry old man…

in PvP

Posted by: Loco.4561

Loco.4561

This game caters for those players who just want to play whatever is OP/FOTM at the time, anyone can roll a new character, scour the forums for whatever cookie-cutter build is popular at the time and head into sPvP.

You will always see multiples of whatever is FOTM, aNet allows this and THAT is the problem. It also highlights that certain professions even after numerous nerfs are still THE best at sPvP and aNet does not know how to balance it’s game.

Mashup Bootleg ~ WvW Mesmer
Cyrus Glitch – sPvP/tPvP Mesmer
Doctor Loki – sPvP/tPvP/WvW Power Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Sweetbread.2679

Sweetbread.2679

You kind of honestly have to wonder what Anet was smoking when they designed thieves and mesmers. Somehow baking that many defensive options into a class, letting them spec full glass cannon with little to no downside, and then giving them stupid high damage to begin with is considered good class design?

I love pointing out the 7+ thieves or mesmers in an spvp match and seeing them all immediately start crying about how they’re actually skilled. As long as Anet caters to idiots who can’t understand anything, but burst damage spvp is really not worth playing.

in PvP

Posted by: SmoothHussler.6387

SmoothHussler.6387

Well, OP got some point…

It’s not a discussion whether thief is op or not. Can’t deny there’s a kittenload of thieves and mesmers in hotjoins though.

So much for the constant excuses that people in tournaments never run thieves or mesmers…

Maguuma: Thug Life: [DERP][ME][PYRO] and other assorted dead guilds.

in PvP

Posted by: Enjoyluck.2618

Enjoyluck.2618

I play thief from close beta. I enjoy my thief can burst every 40 sec for 20k if executed well. After that i feel useless. I say that because thief lack of buffs comparer to my lv 80 engie that has perma swiftness and 25 might stacks rage and like 7 sec of protection every burst on me. I will say heavy burst is nothing comparer to boons. Thief is the only class who actaly has no real way to access a lot of boons.

in PvP

Posted by: Verisuvalise.3615

Verisuvalise.3615

Queue for Tournies and the Thieves who HS you when you’re over 50% are the ones you WANT to see.

I mean, I understand the Hotjoin hate, but in tPvP (you know, where the real PvPers play) thieves bring less to the table for this sort of game mode. When the objective is winning the game, thieves bring less to the table than a lot of other professions.

What they do excel at, is dropping their targets, and being where they want to be.

p.s Complaining about heartseeker spam makes you look less credible. I’m not trying to offend you, but there are MUCH better ways to deal damage as a thief (such as our 1-slot).

Also,
wait until you run into a caltrops SB thief
wait until you run into a decent S/P thief
wait until you run into a decent D/P thief
wait until you run into a decent P/D thief

D/D is kind of a gimmicky hot-join joke, apart from that and WvW (or even the rare LDB cond build), its really nothing special.

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

Well, OP got some point…

So much for the constant excuses that people in tournaments never run thieves or mesmers…

That isnt whats claimed at all. The claim is mesmers and thiefs arent disproportinally represented in tournies , as they are in hotjoins. Which is true. i do 10 tournies a day, the most common classes are eles and guardians. Third is probably mesmer/ranger.

in PvP

Posted by: Kneru.8014

Kneru.8014

Queue for Tournies and the Thieves who HS you when you’re over 50% are the ones you WANT to see.

<snip>

Also,
wait until you run into a caltrops SB thief
wait until you run into a decent S/P thief
wait until you run into a decent D/P thief
wait until you run into a decent P/D thief

D/D is kind of a gimmicky hot-join joke, apart from that and WvW (or even the rare LDB cond build), its really nothing special.

This.

I just started back PvPing a week ago I think, and since I’ve come back I’ve learned more tricks and even tried S/D that I never tried in hotjoin. I usually main D/D, but I also took up D/P the other day.

I love the other D/D backstab thieves that once they fail to go for the intial burst, they fail and spam HS. Even if I’m D/D backstab, there’s more than just the intial burst and spamming HS, I actually use my auto attack more than I probably have HS’ed.

All you have to do is judge the moment they will CnD > Steal > Backstab, and dodge the steal/CnD, it completely screws with us, and the less competent thieves will go straight to spamming HS.

Veris is right as well, our 1-slot is great, especially if you get a haste proc from sigil or trait. It does great damage, with haste it drops them insanely fast, and it doesnt cost init. For me, you have to be very low AND running away for me to HS, otherwise I forget HS is even there.

And yesterday I started really getting into playing D/P, so when they spam HS only to be blinded, it makes me lulz.