SURVEY: 4 PIPS CONTROL POINT

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

from here:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Alliance_battle#Control_points

lets look at:
“The speed of transition is one pip for each extra member that the team has nearby. e.g. if there are four members from Team A and 1 from B, the rate will be 3 pips. "

- 4 blue ppl versus 1 red ppl in a control point, the control point capture rate for blue team is 3 pips.
- more people, faster point capture.
- solo bunkers cannot defend control points by themselves anymore
- strength in numbers teehee!

now make this happen in guild wars 2.

so what do the rest of the spvp forum goers say?

in PvP

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Honestly, it sounds horrible to me.

Outnumbering your enemy is a huge advantage already. With this change, it would be just an autowin, and the worst part of it is that even if looks like it would remove bunkering (I honestly think that the reason to have bunkers is more about having someone at an easily AoE-able small point during a teamfight than defending a point against multiple enemies, in which case I think someone is doing something wrong or running an unapropiate spec), it actually would shift the meta to high mobility bunkerish spec full-team (with many stability sources and AoE pushbacks).

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

well, out numbering opponent is a valid tactic.

for example, in a 5 vs 5 match.
a team may 5 vs 1 in a control point and capture it quickly, but they may lose the other 2 points in the process.

i dare say this change will do more good than harm.

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerheart.1426

Hammerheart.1426

I like the idea, but this would promote the already all too prevalent snowball effect.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

I like the idea, but this would promote the already all too prevalent snowball effect.

hmmm what snowball effect?

in PvP

Hammerheart.1426

hmmm what snowball effect?

The team that gains the early lead often wins, because gaining points is static, and there is little you can do to catch up.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

what if gaining points is no longer static, but dynamic?

for example, in guild wars 1 alliance battles, we have this
“Holding all 7 control points for 60 consecutive seconds sets the winning team’s point total to 500. "

in guild wars 2, what if …
hmmm i can’t think of anything good.

what do you think?

in PvP

Hammerheart.1426

I welcome any and all adjustments to limiting the snowball effect. Maybe not one as drastic as holding all the points for X amount of time nets an automatic win, but there should be something that the losing side can do to turn the tide.

Temple is a great example because gaining control of the buffs can really bring you back.

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

Maybe as a stand alone map/game mode?
Definitely not on already established maps.
I’m not sure zerg game play is going to be a good thing….

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Maybe as a stand alone map/game mode?
Definitely not on already established maps.
I’m not sure zerg game play is going to be a good thing….

perhaps on a new larger map with 5 control points?

suited for 8 vs 8 game play.

in PvP

Vargamonth.2047

well, out numbering opponent is a valid tactic.

for example, in a 5 vs 5 match.
a team may 5 vs 1 in a control point and capture it quickly, but they may lose the other 2 points in the process.

i dare say this change will do more good than harm.

My concerns about your suggestion are not about uneven fights (these situations are actually the main beauty of conquest mode), but about how it wouln’t be necessary
to defeat your enemy anymore.
Currently, when you get a 3vs2 on a point, you want to kill fast, get the kill score, cap (or just decap) the point and move quickly to the point when you are probbaly being outnumbered.
Both the ability to end fast the 3 on 2 and to survive enough the 2 on 3 belong to the players and those that do it better are likely to win. With your system, both points are likely to be flipped, removing a lot of skill from the equation in favor of sheer numbers.
Without an strictly need to defeat your enemy, it also wouldn’t be weird to expect teams filled with tanky specs and high mobility.
I can even think on portal / IoL / blink, GS/SwFc 5 mesmer setup being pretty insane.
I might be mistaken, but I think that this changes would lead to the most stupid meta ever seen (and the current one seems hard to beat in that matter).

in PvP

Darnis.4056

“I can even think on portal / IoL / blink, GS/SwFc 5 mesmer setup being pretty insane. "
Oh man 5 tanky-ish mesmers with portals and teleports and LOTS of aoe crowd control?

Beautiful.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

@Vargamonth

what if,
team score of 20 is awarded for making a kill, instead of 5? the incentive for killing players is quadrupled. suddenly, it is worth more team points to make kills?

in a 5 vs 5 game, a team wipe would mean +100 points.
5 team wipes and the game is over.

what if,
4 pips will be the current capturing speed.
1 pip will be 25% of current capture speed
2 pips 50% current speed
3 pips 75% current speed

i.e. capturing speed is slowed unless more players sit on a point.

in PvP

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

No.

/15characters

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

No.

/15characters

ooo why no?
could you share with us what you think?

in PvP

Vargamonth.2047

@Vargamonth

what if,
team score of 20 is awarded for making a kill, instead of 5? the incentive for killing players is quadrupled. suddenly, it is worth more team points to make kills?

in a 5 vs 5 game, a team wipe would mean +100 points.
5 team wipes and the game is over.

what if,
4 pips will be the current capturing speed.
1 pip will be 25% of current capture speed
2 pips 50% current speed
3 pips 75% current speed

i.e. capturing speed is slowed unless more players sit on a point.

It has much better shape, that’s for sure :P

in PvP

Lopez.7369

Because it would eliminate tons of viable strategies without much in return. Bunkers and bruisers would greatly diminish in value. Doing tons of damage would take precedence over clever surviving. Most fights would be about zerging instead of splitting teams in a coordinated, intelligent manner. It would make it more difficult for someone who’s winning an outnumbered fight to get a cap, even though that kind of situation deserves a huge reward.

One of the few genius moves on ArenaNet’s end is to make conquest not work like you suggested. The game is much better and skillful because of it.

in PvP

Vargamonth.2047

“I can even think on portal / IoL / blink, GS/SwFc 5 mesmer setup being pretty insane. "
Oh man 5 tanky-ish mesmers with portals and teleports and LOTS of aoe crowd control?

Beautiful.

Now make all of them small asuras with the same exact appearence and armor, and names as much similar as possible. BEST eSport to watch EVER :P

in PvP

Posted by: Intellidonkey.5410

Intellidonkey.5410

Because it would eliminate tons of viable strategies without much in return. Bunkers and bruisers would greatly diminish in value. Doing tons of damage would take precedence over clever surviving. Most fights would be about zerging instead of splitting teams in a coordinated, intelligent manner. It would make it more difficult for someone who’s winning an outnumbered fight to get a cap, even though that kind of situation deserves a huge reward.

One of the few genius moves on ArenaNet’s end is to make conquest not work like you suggested. The game is much better and skillful because of it.

This.

I like holding off a point against 2 or 3 dudes for a bit until help arrives.

Engineers – Dagny (In The Lab) Kristopherson, Rektor Skillshot
Ten Percent [Rekt] – GET REKT
This is the only profession I play.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Most fights would be about zerging instead of splitting teams in a coordinated, intelligent manner.

but if a zerg of 5 clashes on with a zerg of 5, and one team wipes the other, they already won 1/5 of the game, yes?

in PvP

Intellidonkey.5410

Most fights would be about zerging instead of splitting teams in a coordinated, intelligent manner.

but if a zerg of 5 clashes on with a zerg of 5, and one team wipes the other, they already won 1/5 of the game, yes?

Only a team of kittened people would let this happen.

in PvP

Lopez.7369

I’m not sure what that has to do with anything. The point is that straight-up five-on-five fights aren’t that common because splitting is made more possible by conquest’s mechanics.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

I’m not sure what that has to do with anything. The point is that straight-up five-on-five fights aren’t that common because splitting is made more possible by conquest’s mechanics.

what if, the current conquest’s mechanic were changed, so that people split less?

for example,
- capturing points is much slower with less people
- begin capturing if you have more people
- much more team points for kills

in PvP

Intellidonkey.5410

what if, the current conquest’s mechanic were changed, so that people split less?

for example,

What is wrong with you? Do you just hate not being in a zerg?

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

for example,

What is wrong with you? Do you just hate not being in a zerg?

nothing is wrong.

i can zerg along, go with the zerg, or go alone.
i am flexible.

the core game play mechanics itself should be flexible too.
i.e. the game should be able to be won in few methods, not just one.

in PvP

Posted by: Kreweless.2196

Kreweless.2196

I have a brother who says, “he’s only good at team sports.” You remind me of him.

in PvP

Darnis.4056

Beautiful.

Now make all of them small asuras with the same exact appearence and armor, and names as much similar as possible. BEST eSport to watch EVER :P

More like best esports to shoutcast AMIRITE?
“And again we come to a point where, not I nor the players have any idea of what’s going on.”

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

hmmm what if,

holding 2 control points give more team points?

say,
hold 1 control point, gain team points speed = 25% of current
hold 2 control point, gain team points speed = 50% of current
hold 3 control point, gain team points speed = 100% of current

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

anyway,

a question:

why is 4 pips control fine in 12 vs 12 alliance battles 7 control points but somehow, it is not too fine in 5 vs 5 or 8 vs 8 3 control points conquest mode?

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

why will 4 pips control point system not work in gw2 conquest again?

in PvP

Lopez.7369

There’s no chance of this ever happening, so stop bumping your thread.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

There’s no chance of this ever happening, so stop bumping your thread.

why not?

it was like this in the original guild wars factions 12 vs 12 alliance battles.

even if the capture speed would be 25% of the current capture speed? with 1 pip.

in PvP

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

Your suggestion invalidates the current bunker options – they’re not completely redesigning how bunkers work (and then completely redesigning how DPS works, because they just redesigned bunkers). That’s why there’s no chance of this ever happening.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Because it would eliminate roamers and pointcontrol builds such as Teldo’s. Bunkers would still be required for downed state control, probably 3 per team (a mix of guardians and warriors) with 2 dps. Thieves, rangers, mesmers, and eles would get hit hard; engineers would lose their interesting builds and just be AoE teamfight condi. Wars, Guards, and Necros would make up 90% of all teams.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Because it would eliminate roamers and pointcontrol builds such as Teldo’s. Bunkers would still be required for downed state control, probably 3 per team (a mix of guardians and warriors) with 2 dps. Thieves, rangers, mesmers, and eles would get hit hard; engineers would lose their interesting builds and just be AoE teamfight condi. Wars, Guards, and Necros would make up 90% of all teams.

what if more pips only meant faster capture?

i.e. 2 blue vs 1 red = 0 pips (contested, no capturing)
2 blues kills 1 red = 2 pips (capturing at 50% speed)

i.e. need 4 people to achieve the current capture speed.
i.e. we slow down the capture speed for 1, 2, 3 players

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

I think you are focusing on making changes to conquest mode which is actually really well implemented in GW2 (since they put everything into it). I would like to see more people thinking outside of the box and suggesting great and innovative ideas to propel the genre forward.

The upcoming new game modes are a chance for the devs to push beyond simple DM and king of the hill and create something revolutionary and really memorable. Rehashing the conquest mechanic is at the absolute bottom of my list in terms of where I would like to see the game develop.

in PvP

Posted by: Cosine.7841

Cosine.7841

I think the current method of control point capture is fine.