Sad End for The Engineers?

in PvP

Posted by: Vapour.7348

Vapour.7348

Q:

People have been complaining about the “bugged” grenade barrage being too OP.

I don’t blame them, they should complain because it is over the top

HOWEVER…

It is the only thing that keeps the post patch engie relevant in pvp.

Played matches where I kept the DPS build the same except I didn’t trait grenadier and engies simply FAIL and don’t hold a candle to DPS builds of other classes. I play multi classes and have 6 champ titles all from almost 3 years of playing (yeah yeah I have no life but back on topic please)

The play style of the engie pre-patch is no longer viable.

We were robbed of Incendiary Powder, a trait symbolic to pvp engies, by crippling it and giving it to the already OP elementalist

Our entire build tree is lacking in synergy and synchronization. I felt the balancing effort towards our class was rushed and done with little consideration. I.E. using granades for dps build and relying on flame thrower or bombs for their fire fields if one wanted to play condi.

Compare the condi stacking of FT 1 and elementalist fire skill 2. It’s offensive beyond belief for the engie. And our FT 4 fire field has a considerably long CD.

On top of that, we can’t even trait Juggernaut and IP at the same time.

Let’s not forget the turret nerf not too long ago, a blow to another viable engie build in pvp.

It’s quite depressing that a bug is what’s keeping us competitive. It should be toned down I agree but the class needs a major overhaul.

Mini Unagi – Iuther – Iiq – Trend – lancaster

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

we are going to have to play condi after the fix.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

It’s not that bad. I don’t feel like getting flamed for my build not being perfect, but I’m running a FT build that I’m happy with atm and I’ve seen some people doing well with condi builds that didn’t abuse the grenades bug too. It’s just going to take a little while for everyone to find a build they like and settle into things, and that goes for all professions really.

(Chances are high that engis won’t be the only class that’s nerfed, too, so we’ll also have to keep that in mind. :P )

in PvP

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

HOWEVER…

Played matches where I kept the DPS build the same except I didn’t trait grenadier and engies simply FAIL and don’t hold a candle to DPS builds of other classes. I play multi classes and have 6 champ titles all from almost 3 years of playing (yeah yeah I have no life but back on topic please)

We were robbed of Incendiary Powder, a trait symbolic to pvp engies, by crippling it and giving it to the already OP elementalist

Our entire build tree is lacking in synergy and synchronization. I felt the balancing effort towards our class was rushed and done with little consideration. I.E. using granades for dps build and relying on flame thrower or bombs for their fire fields if one wanted to play condi.

Compare the condi stacking of FT 1 and elementalist fire skill 2. It’s offensive beyond belief for the engie. And our FT 4 fire field has a considerably long CD.

Let’s not forget the turret nerf not too long ago, a blow to another viable engie build in pvp.

It’s quite depressing that a bug is what’s keeping us competitive. It should be toned down I agree but the class needs a major overhaul.

Like I posted in the other thread.

How do you know it’s a bug?

So far
Every bug that has been noticed

like Mesmer Powerblock or the Ranger bug fix.

Has been fixed within 1-2 days. While this so called “bug” has been around for 4 with no dev response or any other acknowledgement.

So what if this is the engi burst.
Like other classes.

If this intended.
Then the damage formula across the board, NOT JUST ENGI, needs to be be nerfed.
Both condi and direct.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in PvP

choovanski.5462

if it’s not a bug and they just update the tooltip to include preircing hahaha oh man that would be gold

I should add that even if preircing is removed it’s gonna hit for 16k+ with air fire.

in PvP

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

https://youtu.be/3lQbbUJQroM

Yeah right, 20k damage by clicking one bottom is so not broken…
And don’t pretend you sacrifice alot of survival for it. It only takes 2 traitlines + 1 utility to do it. You can still grab tool kit and elixir s for survival.
And also don’t pretend it’s hard to land when you can throw it while stealth /immobilize/ Moa form.

Also it’s not just tool belt, the #1 skill does double the damage too.

If this is intended, then this game can just shut down and probably no-one other than people who ONLY play engi will miss it.

in PvP

choovanski.5462

^ nice copy paste response. like I don’t know how nades work, I’m playing the build. you do have to sacrifice survival, I’m running zerk and wurm runes for the 220% crit damage no cele.

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

I have to say that engies have been rather underwhelming overall, despite the seemingly incredible buffs. strangely, I haven’t gotten killed yet by a barrage, despite the bug. ive gotten hit by it a few times, takes me down to about 8k from 26k hp. I find the engies trying to run this build just die so quickly. when this bug is fixed, I doubt we’ll see too many running this and I guess that’s what your point is.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in PvP

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

dude..that barrage wa funny. as kitten!

in PvP

Posted by: Pimsley.3681

Pimsley.3681

Several engies tried this on me and it is very dodge-able. The tells are obvious and it does have a 1/2 cast time.

I missed a dodge on one attempt and from full hp, it got me down to around 40% hp on my necro. Note that I was standing on my well that granted me protection. Engies got squishier with this patch so maybe grenadier is a trade-off? If it isn’t intentional and bound for a fix, then the engie class as one poster said, is underwhelming and will even be more so.

Condi can work if Juggernaut and IP synergized. If anet grants engies that ability, the engie condi build will only be 1-2 notches below the current elementalist.

I’d hate to see engies running condi and DPS on the same level as DPS rangers before the LB buff last year. Even then, rangers still had a few condi builds (played trapper, poison master, survival trait) that were effective.

in PvP

Vapour.7348

Maybe the reason they haven’t fixed the bug as of yet is because they realized how broken the class is and they are probably re-working other things.

in PvP

Posted by: SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

3 kit condi pistol+shield engineer is amazing. No grenades needed. Maybe you should try looking outside your little grenade box for builds that don’t need the grenade bug.

Last of the Red Hot Swamis

in PvP

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

3 kit condi pistol+shield engineer is amazing. No grenades needed. Maybe you should try looking outside your little grenade box for builds that don’t need the grenade bug.

But is it truly a bug?

Based on This post
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Update-Symbolic-Avenger-Trait

Due to its current unintended behavior, the Symbolic Avenger trait has been temporarily disabled until the next scheduled release. If you were using this trait, we suggest you select a different one until the trait is re-enabled.

A-net has the ability to disable a trait that is working in an unintended fashion,

Engineers haven’t had this trait disabled.

Could it be that maybe this might be working as intended and they haven’t updated the skill information?

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in PvP

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Sad end? Lol

Engineers have always bounced back after any nerf and always found a way to stay relevant. Once nades get fixed, something else will come along to help stay competitive.
You can’t keep a good engie down for long.

in PvP

Posted by: Firebird.8324

Firebird.8324

Thank god, cele engies turned kittenty players into good ones, engis had gotten buffed over and over when everyone thought they were OP enough, even when the patch was coming out everyone was thinking it would be OP.

Backpack, Chaith, and Hiba are all still monsters (in the good way) when it comes to playing engi post patch. This patch is separating the kittenters from the real engies.

have fun.

Over Powered Necro [dk] (Bird of Fire)
One spam to rule them all!
Mains Power Necro for team Radioactive[dk]

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

HOWEVER…

If you think the bug is what is keeping Engie’s competitive then you really need to start playing the class properly.

Played FT/EG condi build, wrecking Condi Guards, Eles that don’t run Diamond skin mesmers that don’t run Confounding suggestions and every other class even Necros that are supposed to be our worst nightmare.

I’ve also played a high sustained damage build that can beat Mesmers that run confounding suggestions, all kinds of eles and every other class if played well. The only problem you’ll have is with condis if you run that build.

I’ve tried bombs and it’s epic. So epic that I can’t wait to really run it through it’s paces.

People using Mortar Kit Elite don’t know the new power of the Supply crate. People thinking Turrets are dead haven’t woken up to the possibilities.

Don’t worry though. When the bug finally gets fixed, people will be forced to think smar….. I mean follow the meta.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

(edited by Dirame.8521)

in PvP

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

grenades is the only thing keeping them viable at this point
i play mesmer main so im not biased

in PvP

Vapour.7348

HOWEVER…

If you think the bug is what is keeping Engie’s competitive then you really need to start playing the class properly.

Played FT/EG condi build, wrecking Condi Guards, Eles that don’t run Diamond skin mesmers that don’t run Confounding suggestions and every other class even Necros that are supposed to be our worst nightmare.

I’ve also played a high sustained damage build that can beat Mesmers that run confounding suggestions, all kinds of eles and every other class if played well. The only problem you’ll have is with condis if you run that build.

I’ve tried bombs and it’s epic. So epic that I can’t wait to really run it through it’s paces.

People using Mortar Kit Elite don’t know the new power of the Supply crate. People thinking Turrets are dead haven’t woken up to the possibilities.

Don’t worry though. When the bug finally gets fixed, people will be forced to think smar….. I mean follow the meta.

Get off your high horse, you don’t even know what build I play. And I’m very much aware of the FT/EG build you spoke of. FYI, it’s an old build that relied on might stacking. It’s a shame you still suffer against condis with your build.

in PvP

Posted by: Damian.6978

Damian.6978

Speak for yourself. I’ve had a ton of success using HGH elixir might stacking and the new Mortar elite. Together with the 6s stealth from Elixir S toolkit skill, and stability from Elixir H toolkit skill, I can also stealth knockdown (rifle 4) + rifle jump (5) + rifle 3 for crazy burst. I kill thieves in one such hit combo. I’ve actually been using this build as my main build now to just get used to not having useful grenades in the future.

in PvP

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

really? chaith played ESL without grenadier

in PvP

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

That trait was banned iirc.

Immediatly engi’s far less popular.

I don’t believe engi’s are in a good spot at all. Best bet is probably to go conditions, but even that you won’t do as good and if you run into one necro you are practically a free kill. To much very strong counterplay to going condition as engi.

in PvP

Posted by: Pimsley.3681

Pimsley.3681

A serious note about another engie issue.

In a game that promotes so much vanity as this, I nod my head in disbelief that the Bomb Kit animations were approved by the higher ups in the company.

My engie now refuses to be seen in public with the Bomb Kit equipped. The wooden bomb that sorta makes him look pregnant coupled with the bad posture is terribly unattractive

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

I don’t believe engi’s are in a good spot at all. Best bet is probably to go conditions, but even that you won’t do as good and if you run into one necro you are practically a free kill. To much very strong counterplay to going condition as engi.

Don’t forget Elixir Gun. Has tons of cleanses (however convertion of condis into boons isn’t an option since requires dropping sustain trait), you can also have cleanses with Med Kit.

I would dare to say, if they tone damage of power specs (e.g. Mesmers burst, backstab, bugged nades) then Settler condi-bunker-support with EGun, Med Kit, bunkerdown etc should be more than viable.

in PvP

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

we are going to have to play condi after the fix.

Nope. Engis main strength is bleeding and fewer stacks of everything else.
Other classes have more condis now and are using it as a burst, mesmer confusion and torment, guardian and ele burning, thief poison and bleeding.

Condi engi can not keep up, especially since rabid leaves us even weaker to condis than before.

I am afraid that OP might be right and as soon as the Grenade barrage is fixed, we will be among the weaker classes.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

in PvP

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Don’t forget Elixir Gun. Has tons of cleanses (however convertion of condis into boons isn’t an option since requires dropping sustain trait), you can also have cleanses with Med Kit.

I would dare to say, if they tone damage of power specs (e.g. Mesmers burst, backstab, bugged nades) then Settler condi-bunker-support with EGun, Med Kit, bunkerdown etc should be more than viable.

The problem with EG is that it the condi clear is slow. One per skill, and only 3 skills total on self(assuming its traited). Post patch most classes can apply faster than we can cleanse with EG. HT is our only hope and even then any sort of condi bomb reks us.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

in PvP

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I tried a “new” build I made today… Worked fantastic in Practice and did realy well in Unranked. I only did two matches in unranked though.

I would not call me an elite player or even a very good PvP player but I rather play with my own builds than meta build. Sometimes I get laughed at, sometimes I gat hate Whispers and sometimes I rule. Anyway.

For a few weeks now I have played my Carrion Bomb Engineer and it has been so so but I never did very good with it, today I decided to try turrets. So I built myself a kinda bunker-ish Engineer with PVT and I did supricingly well. Never lost a 1 Vs 1, 2 Vs 1 was also managable depending on what classes you where up against but 3 Vs 1 was game over. I don’t think turret engi is that ruined since the Condi/crit-able turrets patch, it is still very viable and if you can place your turrets at hard to reach places you still have the upper hand and with this last patch PVT burns down mostly anything, not as fast as a Zerker or Assasin but since you can stay alive pretty much it is realy neat.

My opinion, I think there are alot of viable specializations for Engi but people havent tried them all out yet becouse most of Engi players are stuck at Granade meta.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

(edited by EdgarMTanaka.7291)

in PvP

Dirame.8521

Get off your high horse, you don’t even know what build I play. And I’m very much aware of the FT/EG build you spoke of. FYI, it’s an old build that relied on might stacking. It’s a shame you still suffer against condis with your build.

I’m sorry if you feel that I’m being all proud but I was just trying to show you that just because you’re having a hard time, that does not make the engie itself bad.

Apart from the fact that everyone is just spilling OPness everywhere, there’s nothing wrong with the Engie.

in PvP

Vapour.7348

I’m sorry if you feel that I’m being all proud but I was just trying to show you that just because you’re having a hard time, that does not make the engie itself bad.

Apart from the fact that everyone is just spilling OPness everywhere, there’s nothing wrong with the Engie.

Stop putting words in my mouth. Not once did I say I was having a hard time. All I did was reiterate your comment about being incompetent against condi classes.

I made this post because I am sincerely concerned about the engineer class and hope that a pvp balance programmer heavily considers the changes they make. The engineer is one of the classes I truly care about and would want to see grow.

You on the other hand, came here and insulted me for “not playing the class correctly”, beat your chest about how great you are and how everyone else is stupid. Ironically, the comments you’ve left here heavily contradicts the comments you’ve left on other posts. You boast a lot to prove how good you are but I doubt you are convincing anyone

in PvP

Posted by: Benjamin.8237

Benjamin.8237

This build is hardly changed if they fix or change the grenade barrage. From my testings without the trait the identical build still 1 shots thieves and eles, and you can 2 shot burst most other classes. The main damage rotation doesn’t even rely on barrage, it’s only used for ganks.

P R I N C E | Best Renger EU
You can find me in PvP | I normally answer PMs

in PvP

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

I run rifle/elixir and find incredible success. Stop being so hooked on grenades.

in PvP

Posted by: Shadow.1345

Shadow.1345

^ nice copy paste response. like I don’t know how nades work, I’m playing the build. you do have to sacrifice survival, I’m running zerk and wurm runes for the 220% crit damage no cele.

I’ve run that same thing for a thief and can’t get the same damage with a backstab that requires positioning and leaves me with 13k health. Tell me again how it’s a high risk-high reward build.

in PvP

Dirame.8521

Stop putting words in my mouth. Not once did I say I was having a hard time. All I did was reiterate your comment about being incompetent against condi classes.
I made this post because I am sincerely concerned about the engineer class and hope that a pvp balance programmer heavily considers the changes they make. The engineer is one of the classes I truly care about and would want to see grow.
You on the other hand, came here and insulted me for “not playing the class correctly”, beat your chest about how great you are and how everyone else is stupid. Ironically, the comments you’ve left here heavily contradicts the comments you’ve left on other posts. You boast a lot to prove how good you are but I doubt you are convincing anyone

Once again, let me apologize for sounding insulting. Always happens like that when I start a rant.

And you don’t have to say outright “I am having a hard time playing engie” for someone to read your original post and immediately think “this guy seems to be having a hard time playing his engie”. Your original post speaks for itself.

My comments complaining about the engie are very specific. Picking things out like the Explosives line and the removal of Always Prepared. I don’t believe I’ve said anywhere that the Engie is weak. If I’ve said that anywhere, please let me know.

in PvP

Posted by: zinavlad.7581

zinavlad.7581

engi OP OP OP OP 100%

in PvP

Posted by: trytonianYeti.4389

trytonianYeti.4389

I only play light armored classes but still I hope what this OP is saying isn’t true.