Scenario questions

Scenario questions

in PvP

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

I’d like some suggestions on how I should be thinking about some specific scenarios that happen a lot.

As background, I anticipate playing a hybrid condi/power mesmer once the Jan 26 patch goes live. I’ve been testing something similar for the last week, and I generally feel like I can take most professions 1v1 (though some fights can take quite a while in the current setting). I’m always solo queing, and I typically start by going to home.

If I’m on home and one opponent comes, I always stay and try to win the fight and the point. (I think this is always the best strategy, but I’m open to suggestions.)

If two opponents come, currently I try to stay and defend the point as long as possible. This almost a guaranteed death. How should I be thinking about this?

If three opponents come, should I always leave? In this situation, I can see how having portal would be a huge help. I basically never use portal today because it’s tricky to coordinate with a random group.

Last scenario – let’s say I try to hold out against a 1v2, but help doesn’t make it in time and I die. When I respawn, how should I decide where to go?

Scenario questions

in PvP

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

I’d like some suggestions on how I should be thinking about some specific scenarios that happen a lot.

As background, I anticipate playing a hybrid condi/power mesmer once the Jan 26 patch goes live. I’ve been testing something similar for the last week, and I generally feel like I can take most professions 1v1 (though some fights can take quite a while in the current setting). I’m always solo queing, and I typically start by going to home.

If I’m on home and one opponent comes, I always stay and try to win the fight and the point. (I think this is always the best strategy, but I’m open to suggestions.)

If two opponents come, currently I try to stay and defend the point as long as possible. This almost a guaranteed death. How should I be thinking about this?

If three opponents come, should I always leave? In this situation, I can see how having portal would be a huge help. I basically never use portal today because it’s tricky to coordinate with a random group.

Last scenario – let’s say I try to hold out against a 1v2, but help doesn’t make it in time and I die. When I respawn, how should I decide where to go?

The idea is, if you’re losing a fight hold them for 5 seconds with the point capped. That equalizes the value a LITTLE. One death= 5 points. You lose 5 points on death, they lose 5 points 5 seconds. Also on destination, it depends on class and style. Frontliners try to keep points favored or neutral, but never unfavored. Gankers just +1. Assassins just keep enemy AWAY from points. imo. read my sig doh.

So scenario 1 is win. Just beat em up, keep point capped and keep in mind its %.
Scenario 2 is the one I said above.
Scenario 3 is the same as 2. If you have coordinated group, drop portal and let em take then flip the point those 3 are not at- then bring your team on top of em if they still there.
Scenario 4 is just simple math. Keep track of where people are and where you are VALUABLE. Dieing on a point you don’t own perpetuates a loss. Killing someone faster on a point you’re winning expedites a win. This is general but its the concept.

I am ready to be corrected

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

(edited by Serious Thought.5394)

Scenario questions

in PvP

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

If you are a thief and 1 opponent come, better leave.
If warrior or thief is coming btw you can trade good, but other bunker classes are mostly like a bet.

I would say, depends on classes, score, map, your class.
If 3 comes and no1 comes to you, is bad coordination.
Try call by ping the mini map or write…is the only thing you can do

Scenario questions

in PvP

Posted by: xx swagmaster cyprus xx.7028

xx swagmaster cyprus xx.7028

1v2 if help isn’t on the way it means your team is outnumbering somewhere else, ideally you try to keep point contested and before you die you use a cooldown to get away (IE blink). it takes experience to know when to pull out, if you are not sure you can disengage it’s better to just die on point after holding out as long as possible.

1v3 it depends on minimap, if your team just wiped try to hold on for 10 seconds of respawn timer, if your team is simply somewhere else play the kite game:
depending on the map there are some kiting spots near the point, if you only focus on kiting it will be hard to kill you and you will keep 3 people busy. even if the enemy fully caps the node your teammates will have a chance to gain momentum on the other nodes. just remember to save a cooldown or 2 to disengage.

Last scenario, you died (hopefully on point) while waiting respawn timer check where the enemies go after capping, you can tell your teammates in teamchat where the enemies will go. Check the minimap: can you see all 3 enemies on mid (+ the 2 who just killed you) ? If you see everyone far is free, if you don’t see everyone there is 1 guy holding far. Are there fights going on ? let’s say there is 1v1 far and 3v2 mid while you 1v2 close, if your team has bunkers mid go mid, if your team doesn’t have bunkers mid go far because no chance mid will survive 3v4 without bunkers.

Scenario questions

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

If you’re running condi mes, I’ll assume you have access to adequate AoE.

If 1v1:

Is the point capped for your team? Bombard the point. If the enemy is melee, they’ll either chase after you to get the kill or simply decap it and die. You’ll quickly re-cap and now the enemy team is down one player. If the enemy is ranged, you’ll have to dance around the point and let there be as little comfort as possible as to shove your opponent off point.

If 1v2:

Any nearby allies? Hold the point and ping for help. If there are no nearby allies (assuming no potatos), they should be off fighting 4v3 on any of the other two points. You’ll eventually go down and lose the point, but your team should’ve won the 4v3 (granting your team an immediate 15 points vs the 5 you gave up when you died). In this case, you team is now up 10 points from that trade + you have another two nodes ticking away.

1v3:

Read 1v2 scenario. If your team can’t win a 4v2, just stop trying and cry/quit the match.

When you die and wanna figure out where to go next, consider the following:

Are there any fights currently happening? How quickly can I reach this fight? If you can reach it quickly, then do so and end it fast. If not, look to the next question…

There is a fight happening on the other side of the map (on far) and you can’t reach it in time. Ask yourself the following:

Is home ours? If no, cap it. If yes, look to the next step….

Is mid ours? If no, cap it. If yes, look to the next step….

So 66% of the map is yours and there’s a fight happening far. Are there any map objectives you can sneak (lord, mini bosses, treb). The issue with sneaking lord in legacy is that a far battle usually means you’ll end up cutting it very close when running into their base.

Honestly, everybody spouts FIGHT ON POOOOOOOOINT even when you’re a ranged champ and then complain that they don’t have enough sustain.

Scenario questions

in PvP

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

Thanks very much for all the guidance!

I realize there often isn’t a single obvious answer for all these scenarios, but it really helps me to see the thinking everyone does when making these decisions.

Thx again!