Scoreboard, useless?

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scoreboard

For people who don’t know, the scoreboard in PvP is the personal score of each player in the match. It doesn’t directly influence the Team Score.

The personal score can however earn you bonus rank points if you score high enough.

I see so many people boast about being top scorer when in reality they didn’t contribute much to the overall Team Score. They just happened to get a hit on a player or is just getting the stomps without fighting.

Instead of a scoreboard that shows something useless in a team activity. How about showing what a player actually contributes to Team Score that actually effects whether your team wins or loses?

Like say bunkers get accredited the points they get while they stay on point. And only the player that does the most damage to kill an enemy player gets accredited the points for the kill. Wouldn’t that be a better reflection of how well you are doing in a PvP match?

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

Eh, I guess it might be harder than I originally thought, like if there are two bunkers on a point (which I wouldn’t understand) would the points be divided between them or would it be accredited to the first one on the point.

Either way, I don’t like the scoreboard as it is right now.

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

This comes up regularly.

The dynamics of the game make it really difficult to put an exact number on a player’s contribution to the win. The computer cannot record all the fight dynamics and interactions and cooperations.

The programming does not exist to record things like who helped who when a point was taken. For example, the person who actually stood on the point to “flip it” may have contributed almost nothing to making the flip possible. Two other people may have killed the enemy who was holding it. And all were in the vicinity.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

(edited by Laserbolt.6731)

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

In the case of a tie, the scoreboard is actually taken into account to determine who deserves the win.

So the scoreboard technically has a purpose, about one in 3000 games, I’d assert.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

This comes up regularly.

The dynamics of the game make it really difficult to put an exact number on a player’s contribution to the win. The computer cannot record all the fight dynamics and interactions and cooperations.

The programming does not exist to record things like who helped who when a point was taken. For example, the person who actually stood on the point to “flip it” may have contributed almost nothing to making the flip possible. Two other people may have killed the enemy who was holding it. And all were in the vicinity.

I agree that it’s not easy, but I disagree that you can’t find a solution. I liked the approached detailed here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/New-Scoreboard-K-B-C-N-R/

Basically, as long as the point is active (has the white swords), you can accumulate points for defending, neutralizing, or capturing it. Instead of basing it purely on the event, track who is in the vicinity while it’s active and either on the point or fighting players near the point. If it eventually flips, you get credit as long as you have some percentage of time near, a kill, etc.

Not perfect, but better than the current.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Yes, scores does not matter, but if you score like 0 – 30 pts and the rest of team score like 100s, what does that tell you?

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

Yes, scores does not matter, but if you score like 0 – 30 pts and the rest of team score like 100s, what does that tell you?

That im playing Bunker Guard?

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

That im playing Bunker Guard?

Could be, but most teams now avoid that point that is being bunkered, and focus on the two other points. Would stay on one point the whole match then?

Well, I could understand your point if its a blowout on your favor, but if it was a good match even if youre the bunker, I doubt you’ll get 30 pts max, unless you stay on 1 point, don’t res.

Hell you even get pts when you defend a point and while your teammates kill a target just by AAing you also get that 5 pts.

so 0-30 pts while you being fully engaged on a game? I don’t think so. might happen, but very unlikely.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

(edited by StickerHappy.8052)

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

yes

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

i suggested that it should jsut tick points for your personal score while you are in combat and on or within range of a node that is not controlled by the enemy.

this rewards people for fighting on points.

also, if you are part of the fight for that node, then if it gets decapped/full capped within like… 30-60 seconds after the fight, you get credit for the cap/decap no matter where you are on the map. this would mean it is completely pointless to double cap a point since you’ll get credit any way if you were there.

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

Posted by: mbh.8301

mbh.8301

In games which aren’t complete stomps it’s not very informative, because you can miss out on points by letting people bleed out or by disengaging after a fight is mostly won in order to go defend something. On the other hand, you get some games where you lose 500-100 but one guy has more points than everyone else on his team combined.

[quote=1567239;Lexie.5894:] My PVP experience is very consistent. I run around,
I fight people, sometimes they kill me, sometimes I kill them. Fun is had by all. [/quote]

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Scoreboard does matter,
if your team is around 100-150 and your at like 20, than obviously you been sucking the whole game.

Doesn’t matter if you sat at home all game long and did nothing… The keyword, is…. You did nothing.

Hence why you score so low compared to the team.

Now obviously it can work in reverse. If your team is at 100-150 and your at 250, obviously you did a lot of work and obviously main reason why you didn’t lose so bad or why you won the game, or even if you lost bad, your defiantly not the reason why your team lost and its pretty obvious you had a crap team.

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

uberkingkong,

I disagree. I have contributed a lot and had low points. I have saved people and prevent points from getting flipped. But the big points come from pew-pew tagging.

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong,

I disagree. I have contributed a lot and had low points. I have saved people and prevent points from getting flipped. But the big points come from pew-pew tagging.

Lemme tell ya, when in someone gang bangs your teammate 1v3 style and you run in and try and hold the node for a lil longer and then die from that gang bang which you willfully ran into…. Running into fights and dieing and letting a node last like 10 points isn’t really contributing to the game, even though you got 10 points for there 5 points, your dead and your team is at a 4v5 while you wait to respawn and they’ll eventually get those points back and your also in a bad rotation which makes life difficult for your team.

So having low points due to going Rambo and saving a node all the time and not killing anyone but dying all game long saving nodes for 10 to 5 point tradeoff, ya that’s pretty much not contributing at all, your giving your team a hardship with the other negatives that include with that tradeoff like I mentioned, 4v5 disadvantage for your team, bad rotations, your team constantly in 1v2 2v3 fights.

You’ll get low points on the scoreboard because of this.

And if your that dude that bunkers home or mid and does nothing, yup… keyword does nothing. Meaning you didn’t contribute at all.

Enemy team adapts goes near and far, you lose near and far, you refuse to help team out, you eventually get into bad team score and decide to help team out… tooo late pal. You end game. Team score higher than your score, obvious you didn’t help out much.

Yup you didn’t do jack squat, didn’t contribute at all, all you did was sit on a node.

Now obviously if your the bunker on that node and the enemy is constantly coming to that node. Your going to be within the margin of error of the team, and be considered a contributor, since your with the team in scoring, you look good on the scoreboard, scoreboard shows you contributed, and not be that oddball like example I stated, 40 points, while team is at 100-150.

If your at 100 points and team is at 100-150, and someone is at 165, big deal. If your at 40 points and team is at 100-150 points you didn’t do much for the team. Your team carried you, I don’t care what you say, they did more hence its shown by the points. You did less hence why you score low. Now if you have 200 points and team is at 100-150, ya you probably one of the main reasons why you won the game. You was at the right place at the right times. Unlike the odd ball who scores nothing because he’s at the wrong place at the wrong times.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

I’ve seen good players contribute and not get the pew-pew points. But I saw how much they helped.

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

he is saying if everyone on your team is way higher than you in points, it means you didnt rotate for kitten (you didnt even put a tag on the enemies) and that means they did all the work. doesnt mean you’re bad, just means you arent the one that carried that game by any means.

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

Here is a perfect example.

From this screenshot, of the scoreboard, you can tell that I was a main factor to winning, being at the right places at the right times, while that warrior on my team was ok, he wasn’t always where the team was, but no biggie, he wasn’t really a weak link due to him not being insanely far out of the deviation.

Now look at the losing team.

From the screenshot you see a guy with 20 points and another with 50 points. I’d say there team range would be around the 80 – 105 range, and that one guy with 150 points, obviously the guy with 150 points was a reason why they didn’t lose bad.

But having 2 weak links, the person with 20 and 50 points. Obviously at wrong places at wrong time.

Lemme tell you, I was owning that guy with 20 points, all he kept doing was try to take far. Sure, he’d decap it twice but he put his team out of rotation and in 1v2 2v3 scenarios.

That guy with 50 points, that’s the guy that was the node savior or holder for a couple more seconds, the 10 points for 5 point tradeoff kind of guy. Runs into 1v3 scenario to get 10 points for 5 points. Again it seems good but the tradeoff is bad rotations and uneven matches everywhere else due to you going Rambo and eventually dying and putting your team in 4v5 situation.

Since two guys were doing the 4v5 situation it was more like a 3v5 situation for them. Hence they lost. My team staying more closely together in the score faired better and therefore won the game.

You can tell a lot from the scoreboard.

Obviously if your a really good bunker and its notable because you always make the team fights a win and people run away when they see you on the node, your team isn’t going to complain if you have a low score, but if you have a low score and they complain, pretty much you didn’t do jack squat even if you think you did.

Other team turned your bunker build into garbage and threw you away, made you worthless. Hence low score.

I’ve had a few games where the enemy bunker made a difference (they make my team scared to engage and leave them with no options to do anything) but those are rare cases, most of time if someone has a stupid score, its because they played stupid and therefore caused the lost.

Scoreboard matters.

However, in my second image, would probably be only time scoreboard doesn’t matter.
It’s a blowout game, that guy with a lot of points on losing team was just decapping and making the game last longer than it should. That guy with low points on my team, doesn’t matter either, we already crushed them. He hardly has to do anything in blowout games, except sit on node so enemy stops decapping it. So individual scores don’t really matter much in blowout games.

Scoreboard, team scores, individual scores. Inform you a lot about the game.

Attachments:

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

Scoreboard, useless?

in PvP

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

Scoreboard used to matter. The amount of Glory points would be proportional to your personal score.

Now, if I’m not mistaken, everyone gets the same flat amount of Rank points, equivalent to a personal score of 120.

This change was made mostly because defensive play styles do not award as much personal score as offensive play styles in general.