Season 6 : Skill based or gind based system?

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

I want to know spvp players opinion.

Do you think the system is skill based or grind based?

Actually, I find it grind based. We need to grind rating through wins. The -20 to 20 dynamic rating is frustrating.

In 2013 – 2014, when you win versus a big team or big players or players way above your rank, the position on the board was going accordly. Beat a top, you are near top.

Now… well, i think i need to grind game and no matter if i win or lose versus good or bads, i am still in the same divisions.

So, I think the system is better than the PIP system, but it still GRIND based.

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

A little bit of both. The system itself is skill based, but there aren’t enough players for it to work, creating matches with an MMR range of 500-600 which can span 3 divisions, making any claim of skill meaningless because a lot of players are getting way higher than they should.

To make sure the current players play as much as possible they’re enforcing 120 games per season of this stale boring meta, which means if someone got fed up after 80 games with a rating of 1.9k, he won’t get any rewards at all, but a tryhard gold with 1.6k might land in the top 250 and get a title.

There has to be a lower limit to prevent people with 10 matches getting into the top 250 but 120 is absurd. Instead of forcing us to grind PvP, how about making the game more fun with regular balance patches and meta shifts instead of these limitations?

in PvP

Posted by: Rednova.5283

Rednova.5283

I think it depends on how you look at it. If you believe you are placed in a division lower than what you feel you should be in (a common belief/misconception) then you will only perceive the season as a grind to get to the spot that you may not even get to that you feel you should be at.

If you work smarter and not harder you’ll progress at a faster rate. Meaning if you analyze your own gameplay and work to improve it you’ll get better faster as opposed to making the same mistakes over and over expecting different results.

Professional athletes have to “grind” per say to get to the top. They aren’t really born better than everyone. So no matter how you look at it you could make the argument that there is a grind element in any system they have or could make. But I do believe it is skill based as opposed to any other system that has been implemented.

in PvP

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

It is absolutely skill based. The only people saying otherwise must be the ones who think they are better than they really are. Look at the leaderboard (in EU at least). Where are all the good players? Yeah, that’s right, they are at the top of the leaderboard. Top 25 in EU contains pretty much entirely the very top tier of people who still play (including myself) who still care enough to go for a good spot on the leaderboard. There is not a single good player who is stuck at a low rating that they should be above. I can guarantee that.

Yes, the fact that you can drop a lot of rating by getting unlucky and it takes a long time to get back DOES NOT MAKE IT A GRIND BASED SYSTEM. It just makes it a system where you have to play regularly to get an accurate rating. if you are better than your rating, you WILL progress eventually. That is 100% certain.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

It is skill and luck based (who gets the silver/gold players woo). Definitely not grind based.
-20 +20? You are lucky lol. I go -15 +8.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

Gin based. Absolutely. Best PvP evah, bro.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

in PvP

Posted by: Patrick.2987

Patrick.2987

It is absolutely skill based. The only people saying otherwise must be the ones who think they are better than they really are. Look at the leaderboard (in EU at least). Where are all the good players? Yeah, that’s right, they are at the top of the leaderboard. Top 25 in EU contains pretty much entirely the very top tier of people who still play (including myself) who still care enough to go for a good spot on the leaderboard. There is not a single good player who is stuck at a low rating that they should be above. I can guarantee that.

Yes, the fact that you can drop a lot of rating by getting unlucky and it takes a long time to get back DOES NOT MAKE IT A GRIND BASED SYSTEM. It just makes it a system where you have to play regularly to get an accurate rating. if you are better than your rating, you WILL progress eventually. That is 100% certain.

I don’t think so at all. First of all it matters if you go for solo or duo. Second you need to do 120 games. There are many players which could be top 25 or sth. which just have not played enough games. The people that played 120 games could have been higher of course if they really tried to and played more games to go for it. Anyway most good people haven’t played this season or just not enough games to be on leaderboard.

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Bit of both, it’s skilled based in that a plat 3 player is likely to be way better than a gold 1 player but it is also grind based in that some guy can just grind games offpeak and get +1 to +5 MMR per win over a lot of wins.

I mean the top 25 you see aren’t bad players, they’re all pretty decent anyway but it’s hard to say that #4 is better than #25 (as an example). They’re all pretty close.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

Posted by: BikeIsGone.8675

BikeIsGone.8675

the whole “120 games limitation is too high” argument is pretty funny to me.
The season lasts for more than 2 months! Playing 15 games a week is a meme if you actually want to get onto the leader boards.

As for the question itself…yes definitely skillbased.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I remember the time where we actually had a grind based leaderboard where the topkek gamer bots who played 24/7 remained top 10 indefinitely. That was a hilarious system.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

Does it really matter at all in the end tho? I mean players are not finding the matches fun. Thus the population issue.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys