Shield Bash and Headbutt... Why?

in PvP

Posted by: Zuko.7132

Zuko.7132

Alright so i can hear some arguments for a nerf to headbutt… but a casting time nerf? that skill was already super easy to dodge. maybe nerf the adrenaline gain or the stun duration or increase the cooldown but dont screw up the actual casting time. it’s impossible to land against a competent player now.

As for shield bash… why? this skill was fine, already had an obvious animation, no one ever complained about it. this hurts core war as well as berserker. absolutely ridiculous unneeded nerf. it just feels wrong. war already had the most telegraphed animations, dont need to make it easier to dodge them.

The Elementalist Dual Dagger Legend – Rest in Peace

in PvP

Posted by: Chrury.4627

Chrury.4627

I’m going to make a general statement that applies to your questions.
Not every balance change is relevant to your skill level or game-mode.

As an example, I have never played a War. If I face one in PvP, there are only a couple attacks that I can see coming and dodge. Headbutt and Shield Bash may have obvious animations but, as I’ve never played one, I simply can’t pick them out of the flurry of actions going on in a given fight. For players of my skill level and below, the change gives us just a hint of extra breathing room against Wars.

in PvP

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

I think they just did that because it’s easier than trying to make a more noticeable animation/effect for the skills (for headbutt at least). It makes these skills seem so clunky and awkward though…

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

As an example, I have never played a War. If I face one in PvP, there are only a couple attacks that I can see coming and dodge. Headbutt and Shield Bash may have obvious animations but, as I’ve never played one, I simply can’t pick them out of the flurry of actions going on in a given fight. For players of my skill level and below, the change gives us just a hint of extra breathing room against Wars.

The game should not be catering to you.

Like many posts before the game can not be balanced around the average to below average player.

When facing Plat players and above they are already dodging the skills that players want to land.

There is a reason alot of players could carry in X area. I myself could carry in Gold 2 and sometimes 3. The game should not cater to me, there are much better players then myself.

The NBA changes the rules for its best players, they added a 3 point line because there were great shooters. They moved it back because it was too easy, 5 sac back down rule because of great post up players. Zones because players like shaq were too dominant and teams needed more ways to help.

You dont change the game because some guy who couldnt make it to the NBA wants to be in the NBA.

in PvP

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

A warrior probably beat McLain’s thief.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in PvP

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

A warrior probably beat McLain’s thief.

I wonder who said these things not that long ago, oh the irony.

What’s the deal with the Stunlock? That’s not fun.

McLain and Chronacher, I am looking at you. We just had a balance patch – why is this Stunlock a thing?

And this

HoT made CC horrible in both competitive modes. I’m really surprised that the balance team has failed to correct these errors. It is the balance team which is responsible for the horrible gameplay of one player being unable to act while another whittles them down. That’s the worst kind of gameplay possible, but never seems to be addressed.

(edited by Sly.9518)

in PvP

Posted by: Chrury.4627

Chrury.4627

Like many posts before the game can not be balanced around the average to below average player.

When facing Plat players and above they are already dodging the skills that players want to land.

There is a reason alot of players could carry in X area. I myself could carry in Gold 2 and sometimes 3. The game should not cater to me, there are much better players then myself.

The NBA changes the rules for its best players, they added a 3 point line because there were great shooters. They moved it back because it was too easy, 5 sac back down rule because of great post up players. Zones because players like shaq were too dominant and teams needed more ways to help.

You dont change the game because some guy who couldnt make it to the NBA wants to be in the NBA.

That’s an interesting analogy. The difference is NBA teams search for and train the best players they possibly can. And yet, not only have the NBA rules been “buffed” and “nerfed” to help or hinder certain player types, but the rules also have variations for WMBA, college, highschool, whatever little league is in basketball, and casual play. How many people are going to call a stringent 5 second hold in a pickup game?

Basketball rules set what is allowed. GW2 rules set what is possible and every skill level plays at the same time. Balancing is hard and slow because ANet has to think about what is best for the game as a whole, not any one group of players. That includes the above average / top tier players.

Weak as my anecdote was; that is my point. Balance is (and has to be) game-wide and not for any one player or players.

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I disagree. If skills need to be nerfed (and mind you I can’t really understand the reasoning behind nerfing shield bash in the first place), then a cast time increase is rarely the proper way to nerf them. If a skill needs a nerf its because its overperforming, or has too few drawbacks, or just plain offers too much kitten in a single skill. In all of these cases, you can solve the problem without increasing the cast time of the skill. You could increase its CD, you could decrease how many things it does, or the effectiveness of the skill (by reducing duration/damage/stacks of condis/turning it into a worse boon/etc…), add a stronger drawback to the skill, decrease its range.

Increasing the cast time doesn’t really address any of those problems.

in PvP

Posted by: xp eke xp.6724

xp eke xp.6724

Back to the question: they don´t nerf it at all, they balanced it.
At high pvp-skills it changes nothing for warrior, maybe one f-skill less what means he just need to time more then before. At mid and low ground it´s fine too, cause the players still not good enouth to reakt on the enermies action or they can´t react cause they need too long for that.

If you look only at the warrior it´s a nerf. If you look at all classes and patches before, it was needed to balance lowtiers, without changing too much at higher tiers

It´s one of the “all-playerskill-based-balances” that arenanet trying to do since HoT. Btw. some of theyr patches are for the future, like the condiremove of Seed of Life => one remove less and at the next patch they got one back if they use Lunar Impact as a blast finisher with Seed of Life (ohh and the dmg goes down cause he had no Retaliation) => means the class has the same like bevore it´s just harder to play, cause he doesn´t have too much of randomeffects

in PvP

Posted by: LinhZeri.6412

LinhZeri.6412

And im here still champing for visual icons (like in gw1) below nameplates at top of screen to avoid all the issues of tells which you cannot see (which is almost 90% of skills if you got a potato computer or any sub par spec to play this visually crazy game) so people can actually react to stuff. That is the major flaw of this game.. everything happens to fast and you cant barely see kitten unless you got perfect 20/20 vision not having a slight lag spike that moment of visual clutter this game has and then manage to get out of that to then have another “so call visual tell” Why you think this game is in the state it is now? everything recently introduced in HoT with below 1 second cast times for some reason… and the obvious gw2 build of june 2015 which completely obliterated balance and this was a step in the right direction.

Its funny I play pvp nearly every day and I still have a hard time picking out any skills beloe 1 second if it isn’t a 1v1) let a lone below 1 second. Just from the sheer fact we don’t have skill icon use like in Gw1. Its one less thing to worry about to actually play the game proper. Sadly it is needed at this point and it would be a boon to the activity of pvp for sure.

Oh and before you say Oh get good or the visuals are fine.. nah they aren’t you should not be investing 100% of your senses on a game just to be able to play to even survive. Every time playing this game in pvp for more then an hour if you don’t feel completely exhausted from the sensory overload. (If you don’t good for you)

Oh and yes games should be tailored to the players… Lol they want players to play right? make it actually possible. I tried to bring several people to this game for the pvp and they felt overwhelmed and ditched it so fast. (Oh and I been playing since beta some im not a random shlub)

Just an opinion. deal with it as you may.

in PvP

Posted by: LinhZeri.6412

LinhZeri.6412

That’s an interesting analogy. The difference is NBA teams search for and train the best players they possibly can. And yet, not only have the NBA rules been “buffed” and “nerfed” to help or hinder certain player types, but the rules also have variations for WMBA, college, highschool, whatever little league is in basketball, and casual play. How many people are going to call a stringent 5 second hold in a pickup game?

Basketball rules set what is allowed. GW2 rules set what is possible and every skill level plays at the same time. Balancing is hard and slow because ANet has to think about what is best for the game as a whole, not any one group of players. That includes the above average / top tier players.

Weak as my anecdote was; that is my point. Balance is (and has to be) game-wide and not for any one player or players.

LOL dude balance is not as complicated as you made it dude. So much easy tweaks can be done and suggested by so many intelligent people that is a complete cop out but I respect your reasoning to think otherwise. Guild wars 2 has a poor excuse to wait months to do things if they actually all played the game and discussed it for a week. The best build GW2 had for over 2 years sadly now was the recent one which took the real issues at hand. However, it was still lacking in fixing many other things.

it is always better to over do something and then tone it down (which gw2 should be doing right now with some over done changes from recent build like the torment flying around for some reason on rev.. but they probably wont touch anything for a long time as their previous practices predict)

Like really wtf is going to happen if they do some tweaks and woops wrong move.. its a game this isn’t real world policy and rules.

(edited by LinhZeri.6412)

in PvP

Posted by: slimike.1693

slimike.1693

For realllll. I main warrior and agree it needed nerfs…but cd’s, really? They should have nerfed damage or range. Arc divider still has the same range which is ridiculous. A good player can easily dodge a shield bash/headbutt so those two skills are useless unless the enemy is already stunned/immobed. Warrior will not be good at all this season except in lower tiers where the skill animations wont be recognized.

-Magswag

in PvP

Posted by: Phantom.5389

Phantom.5389

Back to the question: they don´t nerf it at all, they balanced it.
At high pvp-skills it changes nothing for warrior, maybe one f-skill less what means he just need to time more then before. At mid and low ground it´s fine too, cause the players still not good enouth to reakt on the enermies action or they can´t react cause they need too long for that.

If you look only at the warrior it´s a nerf. If you look at all classes and patches before, it was needed to balance lowtiers, without changing too much at higher tiers

It´s one of the “all-playerskill-based-balances” that arenanet trying to do since HoT. Btw. some of theyr patches are for the future, like the condiremove of Seed of Life => one remove less and at the next patch they got one back if they use Lunar Impact as a blast finisher with Seed of Life (ohh and the dmg goes down cause he had no Retaliation) => means the class has the same like bevore it´s just harder to play, cause he doesn´t have too much of randomeffects

The sad truth has been told. Now folks only look at a class as it’s elite spec. Maybe Anet won their bet… everyone would forget shield bash is a core warrior mechanic and the nerf on this patch was meant for Berzerker.

How many core warrior do you face in ranked matches? About none. Shield bash nerf was unjustified. They should nerf berzerker since it is overperforming. But kittening leave core warrior alone. Core warrior is way more fun to play (even if it doesn’t perform as well). Berzerker is a brain dead f1 spam fiesta and no I won’t play it even if I have it unlocked. It is simply boring.

So please Anet. Don’t nerf core warrior anymore. Shield bash was fine for 4+ years and all of a sudden it needs a nerf because Headbutt + shield bash + f1 spam on mace while in berzerker form gave too much CC? I see a trend here that the stun lock was more a berzerker problem than it was a shield bash problem…. Anet and their logic <3

(edited by Phantom.5389)

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

they go the wrong way with nerfs sometimes…

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Posted by: Drakhar.1389

Drakhar.1389

It’s just not a good feeling to be sooo slow with these abilities. It hurts the fluidity of play. Just getting in to some early games, both shield bash and headbutt were getting interrupted randomly. That is not fun, and basically a death sentence. Thief can headshot them every time now, and there’s nothing you can do about it, especially with stability nerfs.

This is a bigger deal with the HUGE reliance on adrenal health and cleansing ire (that got even worse with the heal signet nerf). Headbutt and shield bash are almost more important as defensive tools than they are offensive. Most clearly with headbutt, you need it to get your cleansing ire going. If you don’t land it, it becomes very slow and difficult to build adrenaline, and therefore slow and difficult to remove conditions.

So not only are these nerfs the wrong type of nerf and frustrating to play with, they combine with the other changes to really destroy survivability. I don’t see how warrior can survive a +1 any more, especially not a thief, when everything can be interrupted.