Should GW2 PVP be taken "seriously?"

in PvP

Posted by: Pawstruck.9708

Pawstruck.9708

Full disclosure here: I’m a Thief that’s been playing since launch. I’ve never been good at PVP in this game, and I have no idea why. I’ve tried everything I know to try, and Warriors/Necros/Guardians just smash me no matter what I do (on my Thief). My question comes from two motives:

1. Everyone on the Thief forums is really kitten ed (maybe rightfully) about the direction the Thief has gone since launch. It had a few gimmicky builds at first, but now it’s kind of a joke. Everyone seems OBSESSED with PVP, with little discussion of a “PVE Thief,” if such things exist.

2. I feel the tendency to validate my difficulties in PVP to the rather-silly-at-times class balance that goes on in GW2 and many other MMO’s. There are so many variables, spells, and etc. in an MMORPG that I don’t feel they’re conducive to a balance-able environment.

I play League of Legends (don’t hate), and I feel that it’s a much “more serious” PVP experience. Sure, balance is still kind of silly at times (Targon’s Embrace lololol), but they patch it a lot and are generally pretty good about not letting a single champion run rampant for too long (like Warriors and Guardians have here, imo).

I dunno. I just feel like everyone who plays this game solely or mainly to prove their PVP awesomeness are just playing for the wrong reasons. That can be done in other games which are better balanced and require more skill and coordination.

Thoughts?

in PvP

Posted by: Oraith.1732

Oraith.1732

1. lol’d at everyone is obsessed with pvp.
2. Believe it or not some people like the Gw2 combat enough to want to push for it’s e-sports. They don’t go to other games why? Cause’ they want to be good at Gw2. Plain and simple.
3. Like any game, the only way Gw2 esports will be taken seriously is if there’s a population to feed it regardless of balance. Even some champs in LoL don’t make it to top tier play.

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

GW2 PvP should not be taken seriously, IMO. It’s fun, and you can definitely feel like you’re improving at the game, but it’s not something you should get worked up over, mostly because the balance isn’t quite there yet.

However, it should be taken more seriously than PvE.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I played quite few online games (LoL including). My impressiong from GW2 pvp system: not matured and still under development. It lacks many many things, like requirements to do tpvp or rewards etc.

We can just hope they work on it. I mean the game is only 1 year old.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: AshinDreidon.3861

AshinDreidon.3861

I enjoy the combat mechanics and pacing of GW2 quite a lot. I play other online games (mainly Smite) and I still find this to be highly enjoyable. Even though there are deficiencies with some things, the devs do seem to be working to progress the competitive aspects of the game.

If you enjoy the combat, keep playing. The balance/meta can be frustrating but it’s really what you make of it. Things such as leagues/solid matchmaking/etc will help strengthen how seriously people perceive GW2 to be, but the bottom line is really whether or not you enjoy the game’s mechanics and flow of battle.

shadow, magus, hunter (progress: ritualist, paragon)
soloQing my way through leagues…

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

you, as others have spent (wasted -pov-) 1 year and 3months since release (25th august 2012) + weeks/months in alpha/betas…
..the game is always at the same point except for some “little(related to the full game)” changes.
so what should you answer to your title’s question?
anyway speaking of LoL at least devs test balance issues in this PRE season, to prepare for next year season. and if you carefully read lol’s dev’s threads/posts, and compare them to anet’s posts/threads, well, you can feel sad, i knew that feel broh.

in PvP

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Should games be taken seriously?

No, they are meant to be fun.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in PvP

Posted by: Pawstruck.9708

Pawstruck.9708

. . .the bottom line is really whether or not you enjoy the game’s mechanics and flow of battle.

Interesting insight that I failed to touch on.

For me, certain aspects of the game’s combat are great. Limited, named boons/conditions, the downed state, dodging, and move-while-casting to name a few. I always hated that feeling in WoW where icon #256829 appeared over my head and I just had to KNOW whether it was a buff or debuff, what it did, and etc., which was an unnecessary and un-fun burden of knowledge.

For me, the most frustrating mechanics could be mitigated by numbers tweaking. I think certain immunity mechanics Aegis and Block are completely out of control. Warriors and Guardians can string together upwards of 20 seconds of damage immunity, CC immunity, auto-attack immunity, and damage-immunity. From my Thief’s perspective, who has to dodge, blind, or otherwise work hard to get to total immunity, it feels very unfair and un-fun. I mean, talk about Stealth lacking counterplay! What’s the counterplay to “total immunity to attacks”??

However, the above is a balance issue which, if the devs ever get onto it, can be adjusted with some simple numbers tweaking. Unfortunately, as has been said already by others here, the developers sometimes seem remarkably out of touch (no offense to them) with the game’s balance and mechanics.

But I guess that’s just one man’s opinion against another’s.

in PvP

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

Why would anyone take GW2 PvP seriously when the dominant builds are the easiest to play? The competitive PvP scene in this game is a joke and I haven’t bothered to do tPvP since I gave away my EU account in April.

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

1. Everyone on the Thief forums is really kitten ed (maybe rightfully) about the direction the Thief has gone since launch. It had a few gimmicky builds at first, but now it’s kind of a joke. Everyone seems OBSESSED with PVP, with little discussion of a “PVE Thief,” if such things exist.

First, every profession forum is like that. The first rule of forums is don’t believe forums.

Second, a lot of people love thief in PvE.

Third, you should take GW2 pvp as “seriously” as you would take any video game. If you are a sponsored player making a living off gaming, that’s one thing. That type of person needs a game with a huge playerbase/viewership and is actually very limited in terms of what he’s “allowed” to play (read: if it’s not SC2 or LoL, you’ll need a day job).

If not, GW2 is essentially as “serious” as any other form of electronic entertainment. It’s serious in that it’s a hobby that people spend their time and money on. It’s not serious in that it’s a hobby.

in PvP

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

Guild Wars 2 pvp was a failure on launch due to the following:

1) Class balance— Absolutely horrible in every way (still is after 1 year and some).

2) Game modes: Only conquest for pvp (seriously?).

in PvP

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

My thoughts are you’re rationalizing why it’s OK for you to be bad at this game and why people who are better than you should be ashamed of it.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

N…o….

#15charsonabench

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

Not really no. Its a minigame like crabtoss, sanctum sprint etc.

The difference in depth and coordination required to play classes succesfully is absurd in this game. Most people who dont play GW2 laugh about GW2s 5 button classes. and to some extend theyre right.

If you let someone who has a history in esports play this game on a warrior, necro, spiritranger, guardian etc he whont take it seriously. Because there is no depth of play…. its one of the most shallow gameplay experiences in the history of games who aimed for esports.

I started this game with 30ish some of the most hardcore pvpers. Multiseason wow glads, tournament level RTS players and high level moba players.

Im the only one who didnt quit within 2 weeks.

(edited by Locuz.2651)

in PvP

Posted by: Wintel.4873

Wintel.4873

I started this game with 30ish some of the most hardcore pvpers. Multiseason wow glads, tournament level RTS players and high level moba players.

But they all bought the game didn’t they? That counts as sales

in PvP

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

GW2 PvP should unfortunately not be taken seriously at the moment.
But it depends on what you mean by “seriously”. You can still play the game and do your best, so if that is taking the game seriously then you can.
If however taking the game seriously means to act like the game is competitive then the answer is no. People will try to convince you they are good because they play warrior and beat a GC guardian. The game is not in a state where talking about individual skill is relevant, and most likely will never be.

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

If 30 chess nerds start to play football most of them will quit too.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in PvP

Locuz.2651

If 30 chess nerds start to play football most of them will quit too.

With that difference that footballl actually has depth and being "bad"will result in failure. In GW2 however…

But youre right about one thing tho. Comparing GW2 to esports is like comparing football to chess. They are miles apart.

in PvP

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Not atm but in the future who knows , gvg , templates , observe etc guild halls all coming then YES!!!

[WM]give us in game ladder

in PvP

Locuz.2651

Not atm but in the future who knows , gvg , templates , observe etc guild halls all coming then YES!!!

You forgot completely redesign combat for 80% of the classes.

in PvP

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

You forgot completely redesign combat for 80% of the classes.

Haha. Glad I’m not the only one who is being realistic

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: savov.3712

savov.3712

When the devs don’t take it seriously, why should you do?
Just go in, play few matches, get frustrated at the few fundamental problems, that ain’t being fixed for a year now and then go play something worthy of your time.
Come back from time to time to get disappointing every time and that’s pretty much it – stalled PvP in a nutshell.

in PvP

Posted by: Vincesco.8340

Vincesco.8340

… dont take ragequeue srs!!!!

Kleiner K