Show MMR indicators in your team

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

It would be extremely helpful if there was some sort of MMR indicator for your own team, so people can make rough judgements on who’s likely to hold out in a 1v1 and who needs to be told when/where to rotate. Lower mmr players would also be more likely to listen to players marked as higher mmr.

This could be achieved through an icon similar to world completion, title for reaching milestones or simply by placing players in the team list in order of mmr.

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

in PvP

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Yeah, I don’t think that’s happening. It could bring more hostility to pvp games.

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

How would it bring more? It becomes obvious who the high and low mmr players are as the match progresses, better to know at the start so you can work around it.

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

in PvP

Laraley.7695

Yes, exactly. So if a team loses, people will blame always the guy with the lowest MMR even though it might not even be his fault. There is a reason why competitive games don’t show MMR to players and it’s the possibility of hostility.

in PvP

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

How would it bring more? It becomes obvious who the high and low mmr players are as the match progresses, better to know at the start so you can work around it.

thats one side of the coin there are people out there that will use that informtion as a means to bully or Curse at people again giving Pvp a more Negative view to Newcomers in Pvp.

some people are friendly they won’t take it the wrong way and will help.
others and i’d say the most likely this will draw out the bad apples.

in PvP

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

I would like to just see my own mmr.

in PvP

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

Yes, exactly. So if a team loses, people will blame always the guy with the lowest MMR even though it might not even be his fault. There is a reason why competitive games don’t show MMR to players and it’s the possibility of hostility.

Actually not. Right now, i had a match where all my team kept dropping like flies for no reason… I might not have complained at all if i knew these were beginners/less experienced.

However, i’m not fan of displaying the MMR itself, maybe simply putting the total number of tournament games played should be enough.

in PvP

Laraley.7695

Actually not. Right now, i had a match where all my team kept dropping like flies for no reason… I might not have complained at all if i knew these were beginners/less experienced.

However, i’m not fan of displaying the MMR itself, maybe simply putting the total number of tournament games played should be enough.

The fact you wouldn’t do it doesn’t mean that others wouldn’t either.

in PvP

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

maybe simply putting the total number of tournament games played should be enough.

Have you played with or against some of the top players of the grind-list eh “Leaderboard” lately? Some of the “Top”-Players are really bad. So the count of matches played is not really a measurement of skill.

in PvP

Posted by: Genoshock.2104

Genoshock.2104

What if their MMR algorithm sucks??

Anyone have any idea what would go into making such a thing??

in PvP

Posted by: Royal.2693

Royal.2693

I would like MMR to be displayed. We need something to say: “hey, this player is more experienced”. That is very important in competitive gaming. I don’t think there would be any “discrimination” towards lower ranks, because there hasn’t been any in the days where PvP rank actually mattered (before “everyone” got a bump to 80).

in PvP

Shylock.4653

I would like MMR to be displayed. We need something to say: “hey, this player is more experienced”.

MMR =!= Experience

AFAIK new Player actually start with a mediocre MMR.

don’t think there would be any “discrimination” towards lower ranks, because there hasn’t been any in the days where PvP rank actually mattered (before “everyone” got a bump to 80).

Rank =!= Skill

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

I think it would be useful to show at the end of the match the average mmr for each team + odds + how many points you won/lost in lb.

At the beginning it would be toxic, cuz team with lower mmr could be discouraged or single low mmr could be blamed.

in PvP

Posted by: Royal.2693

Royal.2693

don’t think there would be any “discrimination” towards lower ranks, because there hasn’t been any in the days where PvP rank actually mattered (before “everyone” got a bump to 80).

Rank =!= Skill

That’s not really true. Before they made ranks irrelevant they meant quite a bit. All R50+ players were better than R20-30 players. They had much more experience and were simply better. Sure maybe when certain threshold is reached it becomes less relevant, but one thing was always true. High ranked players have been feared a lot more than low ranked players.

in PvP

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

I believe new players start with an average MMR, which would be 1500. This is ALMOST CERTAINLY too high, at least initially. This is balanced somewhat by the use of a variance metric, so for example, a new player might have a 1500 +/- 500 MMR. After a few brutal losses, that might move down to 1200 +/- 150, etc.

I feel like the first 5-10 PvP matches for players must be awful, but I haven’t gotten enough input to know that for sure.

Quick edit: this shouldn’t be as huge of a deal as Evan’s confirmed on another thread that the matchmaking uses the low end of the MMR, MMR – Deviation.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

(edited by timmyf.1490)

in PvP

Shylock.4653

High ranked players have been feared a lot more than low ranked players.

People get impressed easily and fear what they don’t understand.

I play much with guildies of different level (skill and experience wise). Many of them fear people which are high in the current leaderboard or show dragon finishers. I keep and keep telling them that I have fought top players of the grind-list eh “Leaderboard” and R80 which were really bad. Leaderboard Rank used to mean something before anet changed it. Rank was always an indicator of how much you play and not how good.

in PvP

Shylock.4653

I believe new players start with an average MMR

I don’t know if I used mediocre here right, because English isn’t my first language.
I meant mediocre = middle-rate = average.

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

I think this thread amply demonstrates one thing – Anet does not have away to determine a better player from a poor one.

Previously it used to be:

Rank != Skill . And consequently

Unlocked Gear != Skill

Now it’s

MMR != Skill (see above)

So what IS the measure of skill then? If you take neither the time played into account, nor the number of matches won, nor the MMR, then how on earth one supposed to know?

In short, everyone in PvP is the same and no one has distinguishing features telling others that this guy here is a better player than that guy there.

in PvP

Shylock.4653

So what IS the measure of skill then? If you take neither the time played into account, nor the number of matches won, nor the MMR, then how on earth one supposed to know?

I think after enough games played MMR = Skill

Anet should change it so that every new player get a very low MMR. So he get easy matches to start with and is not demotivated right from the beginning.

I don’t think it is a good idea to show the MMR of the players. I think many would blame the low MMR Players for the losses.

in PvP

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Evan just mentioned this on another thread – when making teams, they pull the player MMR minus deviation (low end of the rating). That’s really important information and should help prevent the problem I mentioned in my previous post.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org