Sign of the times and an ESL idea

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

A prominent and very successful ESL player has announced that they will be working a regular job. Why is that, do you think? One possible explanation is that they don’t anticipate PvP remaining a good situation.

So, here’s my idea for the next ESL tournament. Make it solo queue. Let’s see how those players do, without the support of a carefully organized team. Oh, and no voice comms. That would be a lot closer to how PvP in GW2 is actually played.

I’m dead serious. If people saw that group playing solo queue, it might reduce some of the entrenched attitude that it’s somehow “OK” and “competitive” to organize and stomp randoms.

It would also be perhaps a better test of the ESL players’ skills in playing GW2.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Covis.6037

Covis.6037

i totally support this. teams also should be sorted out with one player from each tier (amber to legend.). this could also add nice color in stream overlay (and diamonds^^)

in PvP

Posted by: Rolisteel.1375

Rolisteel.1375

There are many “noname” players that harder to beat than some/most ESL players. They are only strong because they play in team that supports them and they have good teamplay. But they aren’t the best if have to solve things on their own with solo players or 1v1’s there are better nonames.

in PvP

Posted by: Spicy.2481

Spicy.2481

Except the gamemode as conquest is not about soloplay, it’s about teamplay. Get over it. Also Helseth taking a regular job instead of streaming just tells that streaming gw2 isn’t as profitable as the job offer he got. He will still play competetively, he won’t just stream as much as he did while he was unemployed. Even if he’s the most successful gw2 streamer out there it’s not enough to pay more than a regular dayjob, compared to lets say dota2, cs:go, overwatch or other top viewed games on twitch.

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

ESL in GW2 is terrible. However ESL in actually competitive PvP games like my favorite “Smite”, Dota, LoL, and others have never been better. With multi million dollar prize events and Devs fully focused on PvP and not PvE there’s no wonder they are doing so much better then the ESL in a PvP mode that is balanced around PvE which the PvP devs have no control over.

GW2 is PvE game get over it.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

@ Rolisteel.

I agree. There are many players who have similar play skills if you take away the support of a rehearsed team.

While a minority believe that the mode is designed for team play.. It’s really not. It’s designed for “teams” of randoms. It is not designed for farm teams against randoms.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Spicy.2481

Spicy.2481

@ Rolisteel.

I agree. There are many players who have similar play skills if you take away the support of a rehearsed team.

While a minority believe that the mode is designed for team play.. It’s really not. It’s designed for “teams” of randoms. It is not designed for farm teams against randoms.

Do you have randoms in the actual proleague? No. Every team uses voicecommunication and they scrim and practice, it’s just a matter that who’s the most devoted to win. Sure some players are naturally more skilled than others but in the end it just comes down to teamplay. Conquest was designed teamplay in mind, if it wasn’t designed for it there would be no 5man teams that face off against eachother. It would be either full on deathmatch or some other different gamemode if it was designed for soloplay.

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

GW2 is PvE game get over it.

Maybe in actuality, but not relativally. It’s got some of the best pvp and worst pve of any mmo.

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

@ Rolisteel.

Just because they allowed random people to Queue together instead of competing in organized play does not mean it was designed for them, this gamemode has been designed for organized teams, it was just poor decisions on Anets part that killed the population and incentive to run organized teams.

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

Whether or not allowing randoms in pvp was a bad move, ( and I think that’s highly debatable, ) it was the decision that was made.

Attempting to change it at this stage of the game would be a near certain disaster. I hope that the devs and execs at ANET note the lesson of City of Heroes, a sister game that was closed after an attempt to radically change PvP. I miss CoH and regret that I never finished my ascension there.

The main pvp population is randoms. The company needs to work with that rather than dream of a radical transformation. It’s not going to happen.

Well.. if the company could make a reality tv show based on playing Esports and organized team play.. then somehow recruit a large media conglomerate to back it.. anything might be done.. but I don’t see that coming to pass.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Zynt.5769

Zynt.5769

Well, the classes are balanced around team comps. Conquest isn’t the best mode to play with randoms, as it’s not the easiest mode to get to grips with. The majority of players just treat it as team death match.

in PvP

Posted by: Konakona.4130

Konakona.4130

This argument is “sucked out of the thumb” as we say it here – it has to real base and the conclusions is totally random. Being a pro-player doesn’t mean he has to stream or cannot work. Teamplay is an epitome of the pvp skill – at some point your solo skills are capped by your team so it is only sane and obvious to improve that side of your gameplay.

And remember, each and every pro-esl player came from soloq and still does it successfully during the seasons.

in PvP

Posted by: Mr Godlike.6098

Mr Godlike.6098

A prominent and very successful ESL player has announced that they will be working a regular job. Why is that, do you think? One possible explanation is that they don’t anticipate PvP remaining a good situation.

You should watch stream of ,,that player" before making any statements like this…you kinda missed the mark here.

Was depressed ele…now depressed druid
Kawaleria (KW)

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

@ Olrun

As an ESL player and one who plays with coordinated teams, I’m not the least bit surprised you don’t like my suggestion.

I do, however, suspect that you would find the games much more difficult if you were solo queue’d in ESL as I’ve suggested. That would also be a more accurate depiction of how PvP is played in GW2 on a day-to-day basis.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

haha if “soloq ESL” really happened it probably would be the first e$ports event i’d ever watch

although i doubt it may look much different from my regular soloq matches in legend tier it still could be way more interesting than whatever GW2 pro play currently is

also funny how unknowledgeable people here try to act smart and tell how spvp was designed for organized teams as their only excuse why there shouldnt be soloq in pro play as if there is something in this world that teamwork and communication are not making easier

also loving how lord hamsalt got salty about a random forum post, that thread is full of win tbh

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

(edited by Lexander.4579)

in PvP

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Even in “real” sports it’s actually not that uncommon for professional players to have a ‘day job’. Or if they’re lucky they can do advertising deals, speaker engagements and other appearances to supplement their income instead.

Very, very few people earn enough money to live on strictly from competing. And the ones who do generally only do it for a short time and then retire or scale back and take on other things instead.

It doesn’t mean the sport itself is in trouble, or that those players are intending to quit completely.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

Well, the classes are balanced around team comps. Conquest isn’t the best mode to play with randoms, as it’s not the easiest mode to get to grips with. The majority of players just treat it as team death match.

Conquest can be very easy to play with randoms, it is more how Anet designed the mode, other MMOs have conquest and it can work well for non-teams, but their implementation of conquest is much less “e-sports”.

For example when I played Rift, most PvP players favourite map was The Codex which was conquest, but it was much more solo friendly, 3 of the 4 capture points were within visual range of each other so made ‘map awareness’ & communication much easier, the middle point ticked for more than the others, so gave a very obvious strategy to win the game hold home + middle = win (so none of these “confusing” rotations) and the actual capture points were a channeled flag like the buffs in temple, so it was much more about winning the fight at the point, none of this having to switch people on & off the node.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

in PvP

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

I think he made it very clear on twitter that that’s not the reason.

So, here’s my idea for the next ESL tournament. Make it solo queue. Let’s see how those players do, without the support of a carefully organized team. Oh, and no voice comms. That would be a lot closer to how PvP in GW2 is actually played.

That’s maybe the way you play PvP in GW2. I normally play in small groups (2-3) of friends with TS.

Conquest is a team game, why should you be forced to play it solo? If there is a need for solo play anet should implement game modes which are designed for solo players.

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

Yes I also believe ANet should implement more game modes to quell everyone’s hunger. However we are back to the fact that GW2 is primarily a PvE game with PvP and WvW as a side treat. We should be lucky the devs even bother at all with those two game modes. And my stance stands if you want to play competitive eSports/PvP games then go play the games that primarily focus on PvP and eSports. It’s really simple really.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

The problem can be easily fixed with full solo q or don’t allow players pvp solo join only in full group and after that we get better stats about players/teams perfomance and after that probably low/mid skill people can’t be carried to legendary.

The problem atm is Legendary division and title means nothing dont have any value if i can beat the crap out of a lot of Legendary players and i only got to Ruby div. so some Legendary players are high skilled while most of them are good if having mid skill level.

Overall the league is very luck based, even if you are the best player ever lets say 50% of time you get good peoples and 50% you get bad players you are unable to win with as they can’t kill anyone, die in 2sec, doing the same thing run mid suicide or all 4 teammates having hamburger day at close vs 2 enemies for like 3-5 minutes while enemies having other 2 points too and 3 people free to defend their points. they don’t even think to change tactic because something is wrong and not working, slower support than turtles or team support just not coming to defend.
So even as a best player you get around 50+% win rate up to your luck and how much you doing duo and group q’s then you can farm better win rate also some players change class just before the end of the game.

I haven’t tried it but it probably increase the win rate of the class they swapped at end. I’ve seen a lot people do it win with guardian rev mesmer they win the game then they swap to necromancer. If it’s works like this than its very cheap.

(edited by Rolisteel.1375)

in PvP

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

Overall the league is very luck based

Most league seasons we have seen so far where farm based, play enough games and you finally get to Legendary.

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

Don’t really want Legend in current system it don’t have any value. It doesn’t mean you know how to pvp or you are team killer machine or you are unstoppable duelist so i don’t really care after killing lots of Legends really easy mode with necro in this off season thats almost played and people care and rage as much like at season. Im okay with Ruby title beating some Legend players.

(edited by Rolisteel.1375)

in PvP

Posted by: R O C.6574

R O C.6574

@ Olrun

As an ESL player and one who plays with coordinated teams, I’m not the least bit surprised you don’t like my suggestion.

I do, however, suspect that you would find the games much more difficult if you were solo queue’d in ESL as I’ve suggested. That would also be a more accurate depiction of how PvP is played in GW2 on a day-to-day basis.

The “experiment” should have been to bring back solo and team queue as separate options. But i feel like solo queue should be geared to give more prestige than team queue.

Have a leader board for solo queue that lists top players and a leader board for teams that lists top teams. Every “team” should be a guild with a team roster and unique team name.

If we are really worried about pvp population, shouldn’t the goal be to offer as many options as possible to create ideal playing conditions for ALL players?

Stop the majority rules BS and start using common sense because it really sounds like you are just trying to set up an ideal environment for your skill level / gaming style and telling everyone else that their opinion is wrong. There is no wrong answer except the one that causes people to quit the game.