Simple but high impact gameplay fixes

in PvP

Posted by: Julius.1094

Julius.1094

I made a post a while ago about some of the key core issues with the game, today I’m going to add a list of specific suggestions for changes I believe would fix many core game issues. I’m not going to include new features that everyone knows are needed (new map types, build saves, rewards, ICD tracker, etc.) but rather focus on tweaks. Feedback and your own suggestions welcome!

Too much dodging
1- Reduce passive (unbuffed) endurance regeneration in half. Really that’s about it. It would change dodging from it’s current state of being able to dodge often, sometimes timing it, but mostly just spamming it and you’ll dodge something to, hold on to it for when you really need to dodge something. What it should have always been.

2- Dodge on weapon abilities are fine but should be a bit shorter, Blur should be 2 sec from 2 ½, all ½ ability evades should be just 1/3 sec. It should be about a short defense at moment of cast, not a spam of chain dodging.

Anti condi stacking and healing
1- Vitality should be the anti condi stat, but it’s under budgeted in pvp items. The issue is that unlike all other stats vitality quickly loses it’s value in a fight as you take damage because a larger health pool with the same amount of healing means heal as a percentage of health becomes weaker, so you have no sustain, that doesn’t mean it’s not useful but it does mean you need more of it for it to match up point per point to most other stats. There is a reason Knights Amulet is so underused even on a condi meta when vitality should be the stat of choice to counter them.

Vitality item budgets should be about 25% higher to make it a worthy stat. So berserker amulet should have 355 vitality for example instead of 284, Knights Amulet should actually be 798 power, 712 vitality with new budget and 569 precision so it’s actually viable for damage dealers (current iteration is too low damage for roamers regardless of vitality value) while being a great condi counter. This should also apply to vitality runes (which no one uses other than soldiers and that’s for the 6th bonus). This would have the pleasant side effect of making the game a bit less bursty.

2- Healing scaling for primary heal is too low by default, the base should be 2, not 1, (other heal abilities heal scaling is fine as is, this is only in regards to primary heal slot) healing as a stat in spvp is very weak for anything that isn’t going pure tank, it should be more worthwhile to add some healing power to damage classes or create hybrid builds. This would also help slow down fights a bit and counter condi pressure.

3- The engineer trait that makes elixirs remove a condition is a great model for condi removal. All elixirs have a cast time and remove just one, so it makes you think about when to use them for their effects and when to use them to remove something particularly nasty. The thief’s shadow return is another great example removing a condition but forcing a resource expenditure from offense and forcing the thief to pop something they may not want to otherwise. There should be more traits and weapon abilities like that spread out among the classes and every class should have a weapon set with a remove one condi on use ability. I like the warrior condi removal on adrenaline skill for example, and the mesmer condi removal on shatter is also great but currently too far down the trait line.

Guardian and ranger passive trait condi removal needs to be removed and replaced by traits/weapon skills like those previously listed. Removing condis should require thinking, pressing a button at the right time, and sacrificing a CD for it. Or not having that CD if the ability is used for other purposes.

4- Add this set of runes to the game: PVP Runes of Superior Clarity 1-5th +15 to all base stats (minus crit dmg), 6th piece: your heal removes a condition on cast. To give players another option for a small condi removal/a multi stat rune.

5- You had the right idea with the Incendiary Power but you should take it a step further and make it and the necro’s duhmfire last 6 seconds but have a 15 sec ICD, to make it less “sticky” if removed in a timely manner.

Vidallis – 50 Shades of Pink – Engi/Warrior

(edited by Julius.1094)

in PvP

Julius.1094

Reduce hard counters
1- Increase duration of Berseker stance to 12 sec base and make the engineer’s Automated Response trigger at 33% health BUT make them reduce condi duration on you by 50%, not 100%. It should be a defense against condi not completely neutralize certain builds entire offensive ability with their current fairly high uptime. Specially if other anti condi measures previously listed were implemented.

2- Projectile absorption/reflection abilities such as: reflection wall, shield of absorption and the like should instead just reduce projectile damage by half and reflect half the damage (if reflective). Reflection Wall can gain a secondary effect to compensate (like swiftness for allies that run through it) and ele Magnetic Aura could also reduce melee damage by 25% for the duration to compensate. A couple of players with abilities like that can completely neutralize projectile based builds, they should help against it, not cancel it out. Some of those abilities are too one dimensional also which is why they’re underused, so toning down one aspect but adding a secondary use would kill two birds with one stone.

3- Chain CC is too strong against certain classes. Remove sigil of paralyzation, not nerf it, remove it. Stuns are very strong as is and you should not be able to increase their duration with a sigil. Beyond that, cap stun duration to 2 sec for all abilities (skull crack is a big culprit, reduce max duration to 2 sec and increase dmg by 50% to compensate). Condi duration should not increase fear duration, get rid of it there is a trait and rune set that increases it, if they want long fears they should have to invest in them. This alone pretty much fixes what’s wrong with necros and warriors atm.

AI clutter/gameplay too easy
1- Polish tab targeting so it prioritizes players, tabbing through all players until targeting minions (would treat mesmer clones as players, but not phantasms).

2- Make spirits 50% smaller (except spirit of nature), necro minions 50% smaller, turrets and flesh golem 30% smaller. These simple changes would make them less obtrusive to vision with no impact on their function.

3- For both spirits and necro minions, make active abilities more powerful/relevant and reduce strength of passive bonuses and damage. Make it more about the actives, with passives being just a small bonus, so it’s less brainless.

4- Phantasms damage should go down for each subsequent attack and expire after the 4th attack (60% dmg, then 30% dmg, then 15% dmg). CD on cast could be reduced to compensate.
The idea is the big damage should be on active cast, that needs to be targeted, the problem with phantasms (mesmers are suffering with condis right now but this will be a problem again once it’s toned down) is that the phantasm mesmer can put a few down then and run off and LOS, on 1v1 killing each AI takes a long time thus leading to some really stupid on point pressure plays that involve little risk for the attacker.

Animations and Visibility
1- Long range abilities (not #1) should all have animation tells, make more use of glow on hands or the ground beneathh the caster if you don’t want to redo a lot of movement. No class should have more than one instant cast long range ability, those should be used in a pinch but sparse and not spammable as they don’t allow response. Close range abilities don’t require it quite as much (if you a warrior is running towards you with a mace in hand trying to get on top of you, that’s a tell) because they are hard to land as is but it could use a little help too.

2- Interface option toggle: Normalize Height. Makes asura appear 50% larger and char and norn appear 50% smaller. Only looks that way to the player with it toggled, changes nothing about look and feel of the game. This cannot be that hard, please just get it done.

(edited by Julius.1094)

in PvP

Julius.1094

AOE SPAM
1 - All ranged AOE abilities should have delays from when they’re cast to when they “land” and clear animation tells. Grenades are a good example due to the flight time and the visible projectiles coming towards you. Same for ele staff which has a tell ground effect before it goes off. You can’t land them on targets in motion unless they aren’t paying attention. Necromancer marks are an example of bad with instant cast and no discernible animation. There should be a 1/2 delay in which marks gradually go from ghostly to fully drawn and damage comes at the end and each mark type should have it’s own color so experienced players can easily tell what type it is. All long range AOE should be avoidable if the target is not slowed, CC’d and reacts quickly/has a dodge. This would go a long way to making players use AOE more strategically.

2 - There are too many AOE skills in the game and some should be converted to single target abilities to reduce the spammability of AOE while also not forcing players to use AOE so much for single target damage. Necro staff and ele staff are the main culprits on this issue (nade kit not so much since there is no CD on kit swap and most nades have a pretty short radius).

3 - Long range (900+) AOE should hit harder but also have a much longer CD. The idea behind long range AOE should be that they will really punish the enemy team if many eat it, but require prep and more of a “skill shot” that if misused without proper set up will punish you with a long CD. So as an example, the redesigned necro staff would have 2 sec bleed on auto attack and mark of blood would have half it’s current CD, same effect, but be a single target cast. The last 3 marks would all hit harder and be very punishing, but the CD would about 50% longer. This would change the weapon from “spam marks on target/point regardless of situation” to focus on wearing down single targets with your #1 and #2 and only use marks once they have burned their evades or are CC’d and you want to finish them off or in key moments during a team fight.

A necro who just jumps in and spams marks on fresh targets would have most of them evaded and not have them again for a long time, that’s how it should be. Grenades #1 should have a 8 sec CD, but hit a larger area and do more damage, all other nades would follow the same principle of having 50% greater CD and damage. Awesome when you land it, but punishing when you don’t, so spamming it and hoping it will hit something (the way it’s often played now) will not be viable as you’ll just end up putting the whole kit on CD and not having it when needed.

4 - Spammable close range AOE cleave (such as cleaving auto attacks most melee has) should hit the primary target for full damage but other targets for less (75% would probably work for this game) to tone down AOE. Guardian marks are an examples of AOE that’s fine as is because it’s not too big, requires very close range (risk) and generally won’t land in full without CC.

(edited by Julius.1094)

in PvP

Posted by: Interpret Interrupt.3824

Interpret Interrupt.3824

I know you took much time to write this out. Now could you apply QoL to the post so it is easier to decipher wall of texts.

K Pop
The Warrior, The Necro, The F1 Connoisseur
http://www.twitch.tv/interpretinterrupt

in PvP

Julius.1094

I know you took much time to write this out. Now could you apply QoL to the post so it is easier to decipher wall of texts.

Ay, fair point, not enough line breaks in there, I added a bunch : )

in PvP

Posted by: Oxygen.5918

Oxygen.5918

I’ve always been a fan of the idea of “soft counters” like the berserker stance example. In this line, do you think that stability should reduce the duration of disables / distance of knockbacks by a percentage (50, 66%…) instead of fully? Should there be a boon (fury, perhaps) that reduces the efficiency of conditions on you?

I was the best at burning things. Especially bosses that
didn’t move.

in PvP

Posted by: candlecan.9827

candlecan.9827

Big fan of this post. We are not devs so no one can say that these changes are viable but no matter what they are GREAT ideas. I really like the points made on the Warrior’s bezerker stance and Necromancer’s fears.

in PvP

Julius.1094

I’ve always been a fan of the idea of “soft counters” like the berserker stance example. In this line, do you think that stability should reduce the duration of disables / distance of knockbacks by a percentage (50, 66%…) instead of fully? Should there be a boon (fury, perhaps) that reduces the efficiency of conditions on you?

I don’t, the main reason is that unlike direct damage and condition not being able to CC does not disable a someone’s ability to kill you. A hammer warrior is at a disadvantage against a target with stability for example, but if he stays on top of the target and keeps doing damage regardless he can still kill it. I think it’s fine as is.

I’m not sure about a boon, adding that effect to an existing boon could really throw off balance by suddenly making it a lore more desirable. In the suggestions I made I tried to either make changes that would affect everyone (like the vitality budget change and reduced stamina regen) or very specific to an OPness problem like condi duration to fears, because it’s easier to balance around. Changes to buffs, since each class has very different access and uptime on each buff, could throw things off quite a bit.

in PvP

Posted by: Jzaku.9765

Jzaku.9765

I find a large bulk of your post extremely well thought out and brilliant specific suggestions, but I have to disagree with reducing BASE endurance regeneration rate. I find base regeneration rate pretty much ideal and it’s vigor/access to vigor (especially those traits that grant perma vigor on crit) that should be nerfed.

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

I think every class skill to some degree should operate like the elementalist staff skills.

They are all telegraph, they give enough time for the player to react. All but one of the skills are instant cast unavoidable damage skill. Most their rate of projectiles are slow enough that even a blind man can dodge. Obviously, reduce the rate of endurance regeneration.

get rid of all instant cast damage skill, but make certain CC skills instant cast but put them up on a long CD, to reward smart play while punishing mindless spamming. If skill gets interrupted by CC put the skill on a longer CD.

This might sound a little extreme but except for self healing skills make all support skills automatically apply to up to a max of 5 allies and actually make it rewarding to share the wealth. Aka u shouldn’t need power aura for example to share auras with your team makes. Cross profession combo suck and require too much setting up in a combat system that is way too fast. But what do I know.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

I don’t, the main reason is that unlike direct damage and condition not being able to CC does not disable a someone’s ability to kill you. A hammer warrior is at a disadvantage against a target with stability for example, but if he stays on top of the target and keeps doing damage regardless he can still kill it. I think it’s fine as is.

And technically, if a warrior is immune to conditions (new conditions mind), your attacks still deal direct damage no? So you are at a disadvantage but can still damage and kill him.

in PvP

Julius.1094

And technically, if a warrior is immune to conditions (new conditions mind), your attacks still deal direct damage no? So you are at a disadvantage but can still damage and kill him.

If there weren’t multiple builds that did almost all their damage from conditions that would be a good point. But since there are…

in PvP

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Well, if you put all your eggs in the same basket, don’t complain later. You could try using Rampager gear instead of Rabid next time.

in PvP

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Reduce hard counters
1- Increase duration of Berseker stance to 12 sec base and make the engineer’s Automated Response trigger at 33% health BUT make them reduce condi duration on you by 50%, not 100%. It should be a defense against condi not completely neutralize certain builds entire offensive ability with their current fairly high uptime. Specially if other anti condi measures previously listed were implemented.

And it would make Automated Response completely useless.
Why should you even risk staying at less than 33% hp – making you extremely susceptible to burst damage – if you’re getting the same damage from conditions, just with a shorter duration?
You still don’t get the point of that trait – exposing yourself to bursts in exchange for that condition shutdown. Something me and other people explained and argumented in a lot of threads before this one, anyway, and i won’t spend any more time on the matter.
Especially since there aren’t armies of engineers using that trait even with a condition meta – where it should shine.

in PvP

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

For you to just ignore dodge on weapon abilities as not a problem is ludicrous imo. Its one of the biggest problems with too many evades. Remove weapon evades, remove energy sigils, and remove vigor regeneration procs. Dodges should be limited and very important to manage correctly.

in PvP

Julius.1094

For you to just ignore dodge on weapon abilities as not a problem is ludicrous imo. Its one of the biggest problems with too many evades. Remove weapon evades, remove energy sigils, and remove vigor regeneration procs. Dodges should be limited and very important to manage correctly.

I suggested cutting base endurance regeneration in half (which is what I think should be done) that would also cut vigor effectiveness in half since it’s a percentage. Once you do that on weapon skill dodges become a much smaller problem, it’s the chain between those skills AND constant dodges that’s a problem. Weapon skill dodges are part of the game mechanic, getting rid of it would throw off balance badly, tackling vigor is a better way to lower the number of dodges in a balanced way because it affects everyone thus balancing itself. I did suggested sightly nerfing the duration of dodge on skill use as well. With lowered base endurance regen the current energy sigil would be OP so that would have to be cut in half to to regenerate just a quarter of endurance, i don’t think it needs to be removed.

in PvP

Julius.1094

Reduce hard counters

And it would make Automated Response completely useless.
Why should you even risk staying at less than 33% hp – making you extremely susceptible to burst damage – if you’re getting the same damage from conditions, just with a shorter duration?
You still don’t get the point of that trait – exposing yourself to bursts in exchange for that condition shutdown. Something me and other people explained and argumented in a lot of threads before this one, anyway, and i won’t spend any more time on the matter.
Especially since there aren’t armies of engineers using that trait even with a condition meta – where it should shine.

You shouldn’t risk being at low health when you can help it. I’m not sure you get the point of the trait: it’s meant to make you harder to kill if you get low by lowering condition damage and slows/imobs, which direct dmg classes often rely on to land a lot of attacks. It’s a “oh kitten” proc, not a “I’m low but I’m not gonna use my heal so i can stay immune to entire builds indefinitely,” that’s bad design.

Cutting condi damage and movement impairment duration in half whenever bellow 1/3 health is not “useless” by any stretch. It’s a passive proc with potentially pretty high uptime and no ICD.

(edited by Julius.1094)

in PvP

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

You shouldn’t risk being at low health when you can help it.

Except that build-defining trait has that exact use – it does nothing above that threshold and works only under that threshold, while doing nothing to remove conditions applied above said treshhold. So yes, it is based exactly on putting yourself at risk in exchange for that effect.

I’m not sure you get the point of the trait: it’s meant to make you harder to kill if you get low by lowering condition damage and slows/imobs, which direct dmg classes often rely on to land a lot of attacks.

First, it has no effect on previous existing conditions; so, unless cleansed, you’re still bursting the engineer down. Second, even with your 50% reduction, it is the total damage that is halved…on an enemy that is at less than a third of his health anyway. In most cases the reduction would be useless – the damage dealt in the first few seconds, along with the direct one, would be enough to kill anyway, and the remaining duration would be wasted in any case. But most of all, this isn’t anymore a build-defining trait, cause unlike the one we have now, you cannot build for it and use it reliably – your cleansing abilities are limited, after all.

It’s a “oh kitten” proc, not a “I’m low but I’m not gonna use my heal so i can stay immune to entire builds indefinitely,” that’s bad design.

An highly specialized build that counters a specific highly specialized build by putting the user at risk. If anything, it is a gamble. Especially considering you fight in teams, not alone, and the game isn’t balanced toward 1vs1 anyway.

Cutting condi damage and movement impairment duration in half whenever bellow 1/3 health is not “useless” by any stretch. It’s a passive proc with potentially pretty high uptime and no ICD.

Daze, stuns and other CC effect still work even with the current one. But beside that, the comments i’ve made above are still valid. It is useless, and even more useless in a condition meta – where you get literally spammed with conditions and a reduction like that would be made useless by sheer numbers.
You have no reason to stay below that threshold voluntarily, cause you risk getting bursted by both conditions and direct damage – there isn’t even a decent tradeoff. Building for it is useless – even getting high vitality won’t help, as the class lacks passive condition removals and there is just a single full one (and we have already to share our slots with kits/weapons).
It wouldn’t be a build defining trait anymore. Just one that is useless for the class it is applied on.

But those are all arguments we’ve already discussed, as i said above.

in PvP

Posted by: natsos.3692

natsos.3692

This thread deserves a red post. I don’t agree with everything but on the most parts you are right, the engi kit is a great example.
Start the fight with your normal weapons, go into the kit in the hope of giving some good damage and swap back to your normal weapons.

I zupport.

Natsos, Necromancer
Officer of Spartians GR[SPGR]
Gandara EU

in PvP

Posted by: MonMalthias.4763

MonMalthias.4763

@Julius:
I like the idea behind putting GK 1 on a cooldown so that it’s no longer a spammable autoattack replacement, but the fact of the matter is that Engineer Main-hand weapons are pretty bad at sustained damage .

• Pistol 1 could have been a candidate – if it didn’t have aftercast turning it to 0.8 seconds per cast and Power scaling of 0.4 and base of 114.
  • Rifle is a CC/burst weapon – Hip Shot although relatively strong is simply not something you can spam out when your things are on CD.
  • I like the principle behind it, but Engineer main hands would have to be much stronger in sustained damage and less bursty (Condi burst for Pistol, Power burst for Rifle) and that would basically be a complete redesign of Engineer weapons.

I actually don’t agree with regards to the global nerf to Endurance Regeneration. For one, it basically makes Vigor mandatory – either that, or traits like Adrenal Implant will simply be taken more.
I think instead that Vigor should be nerfed to 50% bonus Endurance Regeneration – 1 dodge per 7.5 is still strong.
Traits increasing Endurance Regen could then be reduced as well to 25% bonus instead.

I also think you’re conflating dodge “spamming” with the sheer overbearance of AoE, instant casts, and multi-condi procs on a single skill. Players need to dodge this often because otherwise they’d simply fall over.

• An overall nerf pass across all AOE skills, multi-condi procs will reduce the need to have to dodge “at random” and will make the game more tactical regardless.
  • Nerfing AOE will also increase the Time-to-kill, allowing more measured play.

As it is, a blanket 50% nerf to endurance regeneration will hasten TTK, not reduce it. You can bet that certain builds that previously weren’t that strong will emerge and be called OP in this instance.

@Manuhell:
I actually agree with Julius’s proposal regarding Automated Response, if only because it removes a hard counter. Soft counters should be the way forward – otherwise the game devolves even further into “Build Wars 2” which is:

• unfun if you’re on the losing end of a matchup, and
  • the fact that it creates a matchup in the first place will make balance even more complicated.

That being said, it would be the nail in the coffin for Automated Response for it to only reduce condi duration by 50% at 33% HP. It’s already underutilised especially compared to HGH.
I think what would be better instead would be for Automated Response to proc Elixir C at 33% HP along with reducing new condition duration by 50%. It might then see use – but still be counterable with Corrupt Boon or a Bleed spike.

Iva Malthias – 80 Engineer
Marellune Malthias – 80 Elementalist
Devil’s Dominion [DD] – Yak’s Bend

in PvP

Posted by: Gunlaugr.2716

Gunlaugr.2716

There are considerations to be made in regards to some of your suggestions, such as the change to endurance regen rate. Certain trait effects which proc on dodges would have to be improved to compensate for the less accessible dodges. Otherwise I agree with the majority, especially on a buff to vitality, as it is indeed inferior in its current state. I would welcome a change to the pace of the game (burstiness?) by buffing vitality.

Edit: Monmalthias brings up a great point in regards to lower TTK if a global endurance regen cut is introduced. Perhaps a cut to vigor in particular would be better. I’d also like to add that this would hit certain classes more than others, which should also be taken into consideration. With the abundance of death shroud atm, necros are hardly the most squishy of targets, despite their lack of vigor accessibility. Mesmers and eles, however, greatly depend on dodges to stay alive, and would die extremely fast to both direct dmg burst and condi pressure. They kinda do already.

(edited by Gunlaugr.2716)

in PvP

MonMalthias.4763

@Gunlaugr:
I think that the cut to Vigor should go hand in hand with the buff in effectiveness of Vitality. In this way, even classes running Berzerker’s Ammy and Jewel would notice an increase in survivability – even if they aren’t dodging as often.

The problem remains, however, that some classes have excessive access to Evade frames on Weapon skills. You can bet that a cut to Vigor will bring those classes and builds up – if only indirectly.

One way to counter this counterbuilding is to introduce a buff to Immobilise:

Using Evade weapon skills while Immobilised will not grant Evade frames

I think any patch that majorly revises a condition and boon – such as the Dhuumfire (Aetherblade) patch – needs to be fully previewed however.

If not on a PTR, then on a Patch Preview. to explain the rationale. Otherwise you can expect the same explosion of QQ in the forums the day after.

in PvP

Julius.1094

@MonMalthias
Having played quite a bit of engineer I must disagree on hip shot, if you’re a power build (you should be if you’re playing rifle) it’s one of the strongest auto attacks in the game and what you should be spamming until the right situation to use your CDs comes up. I think the bigger problem is pistol, the auto attack is very weak single target, but that’s partially because it’s an AOE. It should be buffed but following the model I mentioned for melee auto attack cleave, buff pistol #1 damage to the first target it hits (dmg by 50% and another bleed stack) but keep it as is for any subsequent targets it happens to hit.

Also, if 33% is considered too weak/not worth it for Auto Response, i think 50% duration reduction bellow 50% health would be the direction to go, a elixir C proc would be too strong. This would have the lovely benefit of making it viable for glass power engi since in it’s current iteration glassy builds don’t take it because by the time they hit 25% health they’re either kiting off the fight or dead making the proc of little usefulness.

Vigor is already mandatory to classes that have it, as is the adrenal implant trait. But since they are based on percentage of base endurance regeneration, they too get nerfed in half effectiveness indirectly.

@various others
The change to endurance rate is the broadest suggested change with the potential for the most side effects, which has been accurately pointed out. However, keep in mind there is a self balancing effect to a global change. In the example mentioned where mesmers and eles would have a harder time staying alive, while true, the nerf would also apply to their opponent and i also suggested a nerf to on ability use evade durations. So on a match up against a thief for example, the ele may have a harder time staying alive from a defensive standpoint but it will also have a easier time hitting the thief/killing it, and killing your opponent is a very effective form of defense. Certain weapons will also become stronger like staff and scepter, since avoid the AOEs (which are done right on ele with proper animations and delays) will be harder to avoid when people don’t pretty much always have a dodge up. Additionally, many of the changes I suggested (increased healing scaling and buff to vit) off set the decrease to survivability.

On dodge trait procs would have to be buffed, for the most parts their effects can be simply doubled (double duration for prot proc for ranger, double healing for guardian proc, etc.) which is not particularly complex or hard to sort out.

There are other ways of making dodge more scarce as to avoid the current spam fest that it is. The problem with nerfing vigor is that unlike what I explained above, it would straight up buff non vigor classes like necros, with no offset. Also simply moving out of hard hitting long range AOE, assuming it has proper tells/delays as I explain in the original post, reduces the need to dodge somewhat. Players would save dodges for when they get caught off guard but unless they’re slowed/not paying attention, and specially if they have movement speed boost, people can simply move out of the area before it goes off and avoid damage without dodging sort of like you ca do with the ele’s Dragon’s Tooth and engi’s Big Bomb abilities now if you react quickly enough.

(edited by Julius.1094)

in PvP

Julius.1094

I think any patch that majorly revises a condition and boon – such as the Dhuumfire (Aetherblade) patch – needs to be fully previewed however.

If not on a PTR, then on a Patch Preview. to explain the rationale. Otherwise you can expect the same explosion of QQ in the forums the day after.

I’m not sure about evade weapon skills on imob needing to be removed, personally I think it takes skill to do it right and that’s it’s more about making the duration shorter so timing becomes more critical. Yes the need for a large PTR and patch notes ahead of time is a must have brainer that’s been mentioned sooo many times… they just don’t seem to care for it.

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

“…A necro that jumps in and spams marks on fresh targets would have most of them avoided and not have them again for a long time. That is how it should be…”
- So basically a necro that jumps into the fray now is useless.

“….Normalize asura models to be 50% larger and char/norn to be 50% smaller. Only appears to player when toggled. This can’t be that hard. Just get it done…”
- It is actually a lot harder than your giving it credit for. Every aspect of modeling would need to reworked from armours to weapons, animations and shadowing.

“…Guardian and ranger passive condi removal needs to be removed….”
-Their passive clear doesn’t allow selection. It may remove the burning that was about to expire in .025 seconds anyway. It may remove blind when you want the 15 seconds of poison removed. It may remove poison when you want the 13 seconds of cripple removed when chasing down a kiter. It may remove vulnerability when you want torment removed. It provides no selective clearing. It is RnG at worst, mildly helpful at best. All condition stacking professions do not lack for ability to stack. Those that can only stack very few such as bleed still have a 10 second window from the time the condition is applied and these passives have a natural internal cooldown. Passive removal is a kin to boxing a slow moving avalanche..you may make a few holes in it, but it is always going to smother you in the end if that is all your relying upon for removal.

You’ve made some ok points, but also some very indulgent ones. It feels like you’ve cherry picked the aspects you don’t care for with little consideration to how this will affect others enjoyment of play styles. However contributing thoughtfully without outright hating is what these forums need more of. Awesome you took the time.

(edited by CntrlAltDefeat.1465)

in PvP

Posted by: Brigg.6189

Brigg.6189

Yeah, decent discussion points, but a lot of these have very drastic side effects. I’d be pretty scared if I saw these in a patch.

in PvP

Posted by: Kimoe.2607

Kimoe.2607

Some excellent points which would promote a higher skill ceiling, the changes you suggest would make combat more strategic which is something the game currently lacks as it’s merely a spam-fest in its current state. I really hope the devs take a look at this post and seriously consider making most of those changes.

Vigor in its current state is mindless, its often the case where it’s more efficient to spam evades than to use them strategically due to simply how fast you simply regain endurance.

(edited by Kimoe.2607)

in PvP

MonMalthias.4763

@Kimoe:
The problem remains that damage in PvP remains too high for players to not be dodging every 5 seconds.

Any nerf to dodge mechanics – as they are the singular most efficient damage mitigation in the entire game – will need to accompany global nerfs to AOE damage and condition application across all classes.

Otherwise you can bet that the game will become even more mindless and spammy.

The TTK would become so low that it essentially turns into a Mexican Standoff – whoever pulls the trigger (spams skills) first, wins.

There’ll be no Observe, Orient, Decision, Action loop governing smart use of skills once the pace of the game exceeds a certain level.

In a way the Condition meta is a sign of things to come because Condition AOE negated dodge spam . You had to run out of Endurance eventually. When you did, Condition application ticks over time would get you even where your Endurance eventually came back up through Energy Sigils, or abusing Weapon skill evades.

The problem here is that by nerfing the profligacy of dodging the AOE Condi meta is prolonged.

I think that a nerf to Endurance Regen could work ; it just requires a global nerf to crit-proc conditions.

I do think that moving away from crit-procs could also open the way to more active play – however, for Condition builds specifically, something has to exist to force Condition specs to diversify their stat distribution.

in PvP

Posted by: Spelling B Champ.3264

Spelling B Champ.3264

There is ALOT of good ideas here i hope the devs print this entire thread off and refer to it often when balancing the game

in PvP

Julius.1094

“…A necro that jumps in and spams marks on fresh targets would have most of them avoided and not have them again for a long time. That is how it should be…”
- So basically a necro that jumps into the fray now is useless.

“….Normalize asura models to be 50% larger and char/norn to be 50% smaller. Only appears to player when toggled. This can’t be that hard. Just get it done…”
- It is actually a lot harder than your giving it credit for. Every aspect of modeling would need to reworked from armours to weapons, animations and shadowing.

“…Guardian and ranger passive condi removal needs to be removed….”
-Their passive clear doesn’t allow selection. It may remove the burning that was about to expire in .025 seconds anyway. It may remove blind when you want the 15 seconds of poison removed. It may remove poison when you want the 13 seconds of cripple removed when chasing down a kiter. It may remove vulnerability when you want torment removed. It provides no selective clearing. It is RnG at worst, mildly helpful at best. All condition stacking professions do not lack for ability to stack. Those that can only stack very few such as bleed still have a 10 second window from the time the condition is applied and these passives have a natural internal cooldown. Passive removal is a kin to boxing a slow moving avalanche..you may make a few holes in it, but it is always going to smother you in the end if that is all your relying upon for removal.

You’ve made some ok points, but also some very indulgent ones. It feels like you’ve cherry picked the aspects you don’t care for with little consideration to how this will affect others enjoyment of play styles. However contributing thoughtfully without outright hating is what these forums need more of. Awesome you took the time.

I’m having a hard time deciphering your replies, between gross oversimplification, stating things without explaining and a general lack of cohesiveness it’s tough, but i’ll attempt to reply.

The changes I suggest have nothing to do with wether or not a necro “jumps into the fray” it gives them more single target damage options and proportionately increases the DMG on their AOE so CDs can be raised substantially as to avoid mindless spamming of AOE. Instead necros would focus more on focusing single target dmg with strategic AOE use as opposed to just spamming it on point. I would say based on feedback the majority of the community things AOE spam is out of control so if someone likes the AOE spam that’s fine, but I think they’re the minority.

Make a ranger asura and trait into signet of beast mastery, then pop signet of the wild. Look at your screen.

I can’t tell whether you’re in favor or against removing those passives? But as far as what you seem to be saying about it’s effectiveness being driven by RNG, yes, sometimes they’re too strong sometimes too weak depending on randomness which is awful and why I want it removed and replaced with active condition removal.

Of course I “cherry picked” i couldn’t possibly address every single thing in one post. But my selection was based on what I and other players I know thing are the most pressing issues. Every single substantial change has a side effect, I tried to consider it as much as possible and certainly did not “dismiss it” but I’m one person who wrote that on my free time with the full understanding that some of the suggestions would need more in depth analysis and adjustment by developers to work. But I think getting the ideas across, even if i don’t on my own fix every issue and every side effect, is constructive.

in PvP

Julius.1094

@Kimoe:
The problem remains that damage in PvP remains too high for players to not be dodging every 5 seconds.

Any nerf to dodge mechanics – as they are the singular most efficient damage mitigation in the entire game – will need to accompany global nerfs to AOE damage and condition application across all classes.

Otherwise you can bet that the game will become even more mindless and spammy.

The TTK would become so low that it essentially turns into a Mexican Standoff – whoever pulls the trigger (spams skills) first, wins.

There’ll be no Observe, Orient, Decision, Action loop governing smart use of skills once the pace of the game exceeds a certain level.

In a way the Condition meta is a sign of things to come because Condition AOE negated dodge spam . You had to run out of Endurance eventually. When you did, Condition application ticks over time would get you even where your Endurance eventually came back up through Energy Sigils, or abusing Weapon skill evades.

The problem here is that by nerfing the profligacy of dodging the AOE Condi meta is prolonged.

I think that a nerf to Endurance Regen could work ; it just requires a global nerf to crit-proc conditions.

I do think that moving away from crit-procs could also open the way to more active play – however, for Condition builds specifically, something has to exist to force Condition specs to diversify their stat distribution.

Damage does feel too high and the game can be too bursty, I think the scaling on vitality and healing power both underpowered stats and both defensive, are big culprits, along with conditions being too “sticky” and AOE too spammy.

The changes I suggest would also make AOE easier to avoid without having to rely on dodges to do it, following the staff ele/engi big bomb model where with a speed boost you can simply move out of the area if you aren’t CC’d and are paying attention and make AOE more scarce overall by increasing CDs. I would to see AOE condi abilities that put longer conditions on people but less often, so that when you skillfully remove a nasty conditions in a timely manner, it’s not right back on a second later. Overall I think the loss of dodges, which at their current excessive rate is spammy/RNG reliant/not fun to play against would be balanced out by those other changes that actually improve defense.

I don’t actually think damage in the game is too high right now outside of those specific issues I listed. We dont’ want fights to become too grindy either, and a direct dmg glass cannon should still be able to blow up a squishy target that doesn’t react quickly enough, specially if it’s two on one or three on one.

in PvP

MonMalthias.4763

@Julius:
Another issue I’d like to bring up and in my opinion drives the incentive to find builds with extremely low TTK (Time to Kill) is the ticket system in Conquest.

Right now as long as you are holding a point, you are earning points towards victory – even if you have a minority of points.

• Conversely, if you hold a majority of points, you can easily snowball a teamfight into an overwhelming surfeit of points.
  • This heightens the pace of the game; but also makes complete blowouts possible.
  • This reduces the tension of runaway games because victory is almost certain once you reach a certain surplus. There is simply no easy way to claw yourself back.

You actually see some of this when watching the GuildWars2PvPTV Stream. Complete blowouts of games happen all the time – whether it’s due to an unluckily snowballed stomp – and even if the losing side concentrates on the secondary objective, it’s often not enough to claw back into the game.

The ticket system thus promotes 2 things:

• Extreme bunkering, because time you spend wasting an opponent’s time means points for you.
  • Extreme damage builds, because the faster you can kill an opponent, the faster you can decap and stem the haemorrhaging.

In fact, I’d almost say that half the balance issues and the pace of play is as a result of the flawed ticket system.

So, how to fix this?

Simple.

• Make it so that points only tick up when you hold a majority of points, just like Company of Heroes, or UT2004’s Onslaught, or Mechwarrior Online, or whatever sort of competitive gametype that involves holding an area.

This pushes gameplay away from extreme builds that feature exclusive Bunkering or exclusive Big Damage, and turns the battle into more of a “push” rather than a “scattered series of 1v1, 2v2 and 3v3”.

• It’d also make the game far easier to spectate as fights are likely more concentrated around a contested point that is going to provide a majority
  • The pace of the game is slowed down and more balanced builds that don’t require such a swift TTK or such hard Bunkering can emerge – greater build variety.
  • Games are much less likely to be complete blowouts because the bleeding can be stopped as long as you only hold 1 point and you keep the third neutral.
  • Secondary objectives actually matter, well, they matter more, because they can supply points when a battle is deadlocked.

in PvP

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

It is trivial to scale models in any non-archaic 3D engine. Have you never used a Box of Fun in this game?

No, immob is already op.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)

in PvP

Posted by: Tyler Chapman.1832

Tyler Chapman.1832

PvP and Balance QA Embed

Good feedback here, I especially like the “AI Clutter/gameplay too easy” section. We want to do a lot of this stuff to improve the quality of life for our players.

This is a great example of how to document feedback for us to read. It is noteworthy to mention that feedback is also much more likely to be read when not filled with hyperbole and sarcasm.

I personally have used a few of these talking points when delivering feedback to the Skills and Balance Team, not all but a few. Just remember when writing lengthy topics to establish a TL;DR at the end. We have talked about doing a lot of this stuff you wrote about so that should at least be good to hear.
Nice write-up Julius. Threads like these +1.

-Powerr

in-game alias: Powerr
Skills and Balance/PvP Team Principal QA
Former active member of Team PZ

(edited by Tyler Chapman.1832)

in PvP

Posted by: Krayiss.4926

Krayiss.4926

1. I like invulnerable effect/skills for condis its funny. Normal dmg you can; evade, dodge, invul, move etc but condi dmg you can cleanse if you have it. I like the condi invul

Buffing vitality would BREAK alot of things like protection, necros DS, & countless more.

Your only chance would be making vitality have like a 2nd effect for every 100 vit subtract either 1 or maybe a .25% condi damage or atleast add condi dmg reduction to the trait lines is prolly your best option.

Anymore heal scaling and I quit lol jk.

AI clutter needs to be dealt with but just making pets smaller IDK about that :/

Phantasm dmg reduction would just make alot of people no longer worry about them and continue focusing the player.

I only skimmed through but the rest seems ok

Necro 10/30/0/0/30 7/26

in PvP

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I dislike the dodge recuding system. It’s good as it is now. But nerfing it would make ‘first strike, first win’ pvp game. Now dodge are a barrier, that you must break true, before you can waste your best skills. Reducing dodge effectiveness, would make skills like skullcrack in my opinion overpowered. Same for fear, backstab and other high power modified skils. The suggestion sounds incredible great on paper (and hey congratz for typing it all out), but it would not make pvp better. If anything worse. So i really must strongly disagree with it.

I agree with stability being to strong. (in pvp). In wvw a nerf should be bad though, everyone would be stunned 100 times per minute. It would be ping pong. No thanks there. That’s why wvw/spvp splits seriously should be considered.

Wathever spvp balance you do, keep in mind wvw chars are 20-40% stronger due to food, other buffs, stronger gear, and other kinds of power creep. What may seem balanced in pvp, isn’t in wvw. I’m not asking for a perfect wvw (it will never be, but keep it within reason. Especially thiefs, with ascended power creep are getting a little to close to easy one shot kills).

And please don’t remov all passives from the game. You make it sounds like they are for noobs but they aren’t. You mentioned spirits. Best example ever that you are wrong. A spirit can die. A dead spirit is useless especially cause it causes a cooldown. That requires strategy from you to time it’s spawn and use of it. The passive bonus is more then warranted for this risk. Saying it’s brainless, is a bit of an empty argument. Secondly stuff like ‘signet of stamina’ are also not necessary win buttons. You get more dodging, but if you time them in wrong way, they are still useless. They don’t freely give you a victory.

some of the op’s suggestion could be implemented, but not in it’s full extend, maybe 30-70%. Cause op’s vision of the game is ‘action and response’. While that is nice in it’s own way it’s way more frustration and hardcore. It will be like gw2, except, with all the dodge/block nerfs he’s mentioning, we will be even more defenseless then in guild wars 1. It will be a bad attempt at remaking gw1, while destroying a core component of guild wars 2 that’s actually very fun, but lot’s of people don’t realize. That thing is dodging.

TL:DR The suggestion are good but to drastic. Don’t destroy core (existing) parts of the game to balance it. Dodging is cool imo and needs no drastic overhaul. Taking it away would make the game flat, and frustrating, and even a bit to hardcore (casuals left in the dark). Just polish stuff, don’t do big overhauls unless necessary.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

in PvP

Posted by: Krayiss.4926

Krayiss.4926

Obviously this is generally Spvp focused but ya Ill add nerfing dodge would screw everything up as well. Youd have to rework SO MANY traits for it and just everything else that goes along with it. Game breaking Lol,

and alot of work for the devs which the only thingy they are working on right now is what Tyler Chapman said Map randomization for team arena. How are they going to do all this work if anything?

Necro 10/30/0/0/30 7/26

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@OP. You lost me at too much dodging. No thanks.

in PvP

Posted by: waka.9826

waka.9826

The game does have too much dodging. But the game also has equal amounts of spam attacks that have no diminishing returns. This game overall is just spam everything whenever you can.

in PvP

Posted by: Aorin.9168

Aorin.9168

How about a “Very Small” option to UI scale, or the ability to make each item a certain custom size. I still feel that some of the UI elements are too big for my liking.

I understand anet doesnt necessarily want people making custom UI arrangements, and i get that, but the option for size already exists. Small just isnt small enough on large monitors.

in PvP

Posted by: Oldbugga.7029

Oldbugga.7029

Agree that the OP is a good post.

Just 2 things which may be related.

Firstly designing with dodge/reaction-time-based-avoidance being of such a critical importance in gameplay is designing in an inherent risk which neither the player nor ANet have control over……and that is network latency……. especially for non-Euro/USA players where mandatory network connections alone add considerable latencies which CANNOT be overcome without local servers.

Secondly, the AOE issues raised and the proposed solutions seems more about personal experiences/inconvenience rather an overall view of the meta game framework. I feel the AOE issue and whewre it fits in the game meta is far more complex than the above suggested improvements. The suggestions would require a LOT of balancing and single target compensations which would require further balancing etc etc for the AOE centric builds to remain viable. Take for example the necro….it would almost mean a total redesign of their meta and implementation strategies to just keep them viable….not top of the tree…just viable…and that process will be expensive in terms of development time and resources. Although I like some of the suggestions I sincerely hope the devs DONT adopt them without seriously looking at the AOE centric classes meta and overall balance.

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

How about a “Very Small” option to UI scale, or the ability to make each item a certain custom size. I still feel that some of the UI elements are too big for my liking.

I understand anet doesnt necessarily want people making custom UI arrangements, and i get that, but the option for size already exists. Small just isnt small enough on large monitors.

GW1 had a very good UI system, you could adjust everything on your screen.

I would like to play with small UI, however, I don’t like the mini map size on small UI, it is too small for my liking. GW1’s ‘u’ map was very good, very very basic version of carbonite mod for wow, but customizable size, though the GW1 minimap wasn’t as good as GW2’s (gw2 is a less sizeable version of GW1 minimap and GW1 ‘u’ map combined)

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in PvP

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

A number of good suggestions IMO but some comments:

Staff Ele is already annoying as hell to play because of all the long delays. Not to mention dragon’s tooth and shatterstone on sceptre. Bloody annoying. It’s also a bad model to follow as it widens the gap between PVE and PVP skill effectiveness.

Perhaps a better model to follow for AOE damage (IMO) is to apply a damage falloff to number of targets hit, eg: 1 target hit = 110% base dmg, 2 targets = 100% base, 3 targets = 90%, 4 targets = 80%, 5 targets = 70%. Alternatively, falloff based on distance from geometric centre of AOE as it was in DAOC.

downed state is bad for PVP

in PvP

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

About the dodging section:

I too feel that some of the evades invincibility frames need to be shortened (even having an entire second of evade is too much most of the time). However, I feel that base stamina regeneration is fine in it’s current state.

Most of the rest of the post I agree with though; we might actually have a somewhat skill based game at that point lol.

in PvP

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

My two pence

• Could not agree more on the games evasion spam, this tactic is ridiculous and should have never been permitted, especially by classes who can most effectively build glass cannon. Or, there needs to be a clear and forced choice between evasion and spike damage, rather than the current system of ‘spike, perma-evade, spike again’.
  • Condition removal basic functionality needs to be flat out changed, condition removals should remove a certain amount of stacks or seconds, not entire conditions. Half the classes in the game only have one to two damaging conditions to rely on, these classes will never have viable condition builds so long as any condition removal reduces their damage by 50-100%. And passive condition removal just needs to disappear from the face of the game.
  • Shrinking the Flesh Golem and Thumper Turrets would be completely contrary to their purpose, they are meant to be tanks, and to get in the way.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in PvP

Julius.1094

Good feedback here, I especially like the “AI Clutter/gameplay too easy” section. We want to do a lot of this stuff to improve the quality of life for our players.

This is a great example of how to document feedback for us to read. It is noteworthy to mention that feedback is also much more likely to be read when not filled with hyperbole and sarcasm.

I personally have used a few of these talking points when delivering feedback to the Skills and Balance Team, not all but a few. Just remember when writing lengthy topics to establish a TL;DR at the end. We have talked about doing a lot of this stuff you wrote about so that should at least be good to hear.
Nice write-up Julius. Threads like these +1.

-Powerr

Good to hear! I’m looking forward to pvp becoming more strategic/less spammy so I can dig my teeth into it again. I must say the current meta/play style got really stale for me, glad to hear serious adjustments are being considered. I love the basis of this game and really want it to succeed.

in PvP

Julius.1094

1. I like invulnerable effect/skills for condis its funny. Normal dmg you can; evade, dodge, invul, move etc but condi dmg you can cleanse if you have it. I like the condi invul

Buffing vitality would BREAK alot of things like protection, necros DS, & countless more.

Your only chance would be making vitality have like a 2nd effect for every 100 vit subtract either 1 or maybe a .25% condi damage or atleast add condi dmg reduction to the trait lines is prolly your best option.

Anymore heal scaling and I quit lol jk.

AI clutter needs to be dealt with but just making pets smaller IDK about that :/

Phantasm dmg reduction would just make alot of people no longer worry about them and continue focusing the player.

I only skimmed through but the rest seems ok

“Countless more” is pretty vague/exagerated. The buff suggested would just be to bonus vitality and is not that big, for a zerker wearing build without vitality runes it’d be less than 1k additional health. The scaling of DS to health can be adjusted to accommodate such a change, although it probably wouldn’t affect necros as most will still run toughness/crit/condi amulet as that stat combination is one of the strongest. If a necro goes carrion sure he’ll have a big health pool but very low armor, one autoattack by a thief/warrior and that extra health is gone. It’s a small buff that would help but was intentionally thought of as being mild.

I didn’t say all pets, I said turrets, nature spirits and necro minions (less so with flesh golem). Ranger pets shouldn’t be smaller and mesmer clones/phantasms obviously remain the same size. The reality is if you have a mesmer, a turret engi, a spirit ranger and a minion necro standing on a small node you can’t see/target kitten. I don’t think so many “minion” builds should have been introduced in the first place there is a reason most MMO’s keep it to a minimum, it ruins visibility, but since it’s too late for that making the ones that we can as “discreet” as possible is paramount.

Only time you would focus the phantasms is if the mesmer is LOS hiding while they’re up, there should be risk involved in pushing a point and that build prior to the condi meta was broken for pushign far point for that reason. In any other situation you would be focusing the mesmer unless you’re bad. The damage would be the same in the first attack and I suggested reducing their CD (prob cut it in half) to compensate for the subsequent dmg drop/expiration, this would actually be a buff to the build in team fights where phantasms often get destroyed by AOE after 1 attack making the phantasm mesmer useless until the CD is up again.

in PvP

Julius.1094

About the dodging section:

I too feel that some of the evades invincibility frames need to be shortened (even having an entire second of evade is too much most of the time). However, I feel that base stamina regeneration is fine in it’s current state.

Most of the rest of the post I agree with though; we might actually have a somewhat skill based game at that point lol.

Making the evades invisibility frames shorter could also work, though I like the feel of how it is now.

in PvP

Julius.1094

Ok, have fun with thieves and rangers keeping up 50%+ invulnerability through dodge spam during fights in unpredictable ways that force you to spam your kitten till you get a lucky hit. Sounds like really smart gameplay.

in PvP

Julius.1094

I dislike the dodge recuding system. It’s good as it is now. But nerfing it would make ‘first strike, first win’ pvp game. Now dodge are a barrier, that you must break true, before you can waste your best skills. Reducing dodge effectiveness, would make skills like skullcrack in my opinion overpowered. Same for fear, backstab and other high power modified skils. The suggestion sounds incredible great on paper (and hey congratz for typing it all out), but it would not make pvp better. If anything worse. So i really must strongly disagree with it.

I agree with stability being to strong. (in pvp). In wvw a nerf should be bad though, everyone would be stunned 100 times per minute. It would be ping pong. No thanks there. That’s why wvw/spvp splits seriously should be considered.

Wathever spvp balance you do, keep in mind wvw chars are 20-40% stronger due to food, other buffs, stronger gear, and other kinds of power creep. What may seem balanced in pvp, isn’t in wvw. I’m not asking for a perfect wvw (it will never be, but keep it within reason. Especially thiefs, with ascended power creep are getting a little to close to easy one shot kills).

And please don’t remov all passives from the game. You make it sounds like they are for noobs but they aren’t. You mentioned spirits. Best example ever that you are wrong. A spirit can die. A dead spirit is useless especially cause it causes a cooldown. That requires strategy from you to time it’s spawn and use of it. The passive bonus is more then warranted for this risk. Saying it’s brainless, is a bit of an empty argument. Secondly stuff like ‘signet of stamina’ are also not necessary win buttons. You get more dodging, but if you time them in wrong way, they are still useless. They don’t freely give you a victory.

some of the op’s suggestion could be implemented, but not in it’s full extend, maybe 30-70%. Cause op’s vision of the game is ‘action and response’. While that is nice in it’s own way it’s way more frustration and hardcore. It will be like gw2, except, with all the dodge/block nerfs he’s mentioning, we will be even more defenseless then in guild wars 1. It will be a bad attempt at remaking gw1, while destroying a core component of guild wars 2 that’s actually very fun, but lot’s of people don’t realize. That thing is dodging.

TL:DR The suggestion are good but to drastic. Don’t destroy core (existing) parts of the game to balance it. Dodging is cool imo and needs no drastic overhaul. Taking it away would make the game flat, and frustrating, and even a bit to hardcore (casuals left in the dark). Just polish stuff, don’t do big overhauls unless necessary.

Dodges aren’t a barrier, most coordinate focus combos involve hard CC openings. The issue with the amount of dodging available is that it regens fast enough to make random dodging worth it. So rather than players timing dodges while attackers time attacks, both sides spam it and see who gets lucky. The very idea of dodge being more scarce is that players should be saving for when a melee jumps on top of them for example (likely to land a high power attack) instead of randomly spamming it.

Stability is strong, but it can be stripped and doesn’t protect you from damage. I think if anything we just still need more buff removal, it’s still too niche.

My suggestions are strictly for SPVP in fact I’ll be the first one to say many of them would be terrible for wvw and pve such as the bonus vitality buff. But SPVP desperately needs it’s own adjustments because it plays very differently than the other modes.

Who said anything about removing all the passives from the game? >.> I said remove rangers and guardian’s to a lesser extent reliance on passive condi removal and replace it with more active forms. And I said make spirit/necro minions passives WEAKER (not the same as removing) while making their actives stronger so they have a bigger impact. A lot of passive effects in this game work really well, I just wish all internal CDs were tracked on your interface so you could work around them better.