Single elimination in proleague qualifiers

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

I don’t think this is right for a tournament of this magnitude. If there is any issue with the seeding worthy teams could be robbed of a spot.

Ranger | Elementalist

(edited by Ryan.9387)

in PvP

Posted by: TheLargeUnit.2793

TheLargeUnit.2793

+1
15char—————-/

Achmed Afro Thunder ~ Six Ft Pole Achmed ~ Dharok The Ravenous
Long Live [ASAP] Zerg: The greatest guild that ever was or will be.

in PvP

Posted by: Firebird.8324

Firebird.8324

I’m on Radioactive and I agree

Over Powered Necro [dk] (Bird of Fire)
One spam to rule them all!
Mains Power Necro for team Radioactive[dk]

in PvP

Posted by: Anti.9156

Anti.9156

+1

in PvP

Posted by: MrKrataus.6420

MrKrataus.6420

+1

15characters—((?_—

[vM] Alkore

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

I dont know what the current system for it is but i think it should be like a real NBA playoffs.

Best of 3 team that wins moves on, no 2nd chance.

When i played competitively we always said we play the team in front of us.

Cant worry about all the other stuff, if your competing for a championship you gonna compete vs the team that wins anyways. Depending on how prizes work but only teams set to be 3rd and 4th or 5th and 6th should play to be crowned for that spot.

Come on this is for real now, go big or go home

in PvP

Posted by: Zuik.7158

Zuik.7158

+1

There are already going to be so many issues with the brackets. At least try to mitigate this.

in PvP

Posted by: TheLargeUnit.2793

TheLargeUnit.2793

I dont know what the current system for it is but i think it should be like a real NBA playoffs.

Cant worry about all the other stuff, if your competing for a championship you gonna compete vs the team that wins anyways. Depending on how prizes work but only teams set to be 3rd and 4th or 5th and 6th should play to be crowned for that spot.

I think you are a little confused. The problem is that 4 teams are moving on, so instead of 1 clear winner there are 4. Say for example for whatever reason spookie and radioactive end up in the same side of the bracket, one of them would be eliminatred even tho both are arguably top8
Na

Achmed Afro Thunder ~ Six Ft Pole Achmed ~ Dharok The Ravenous
Long Live [ASAP] Zerg: The greatest guild that ever was or will be.

in PvP

Posted by: Tomal.7516

Tomal.7516

+1, it definitly has to be double Elimination, there is no data for a good seeding, a lot of good Teams came back/didnt Play Go4 etc., that means the seeding will definitly have some really bad matchups´(Its possible that the 4 best Teams will all face on one side of the bracket and only 1 of them will qualify and 3 way worse Teams are lucky and get a spot; no one wants to see 3 Teams in the Pro League that get stomped 500:0 by orng etc!) Double Eliminiation would at least be a bit of a solution for that Problem!

Xeon
Best Schmock EU!

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.3952

Booms.3952

1 agreed
I understand they wanted single elim because they expected 100
teams to sign up, but the fact is there’s going to be less than 16 and a double elim would not be that hard for an ALL DAY event.

#1 gerdian na
0 counterplay

in PvP

Posted by: Aztex.4895

Aztex.4895

1 agreed
I understand they wanted single elim because they expected 100
teams to sign up, but the fact is there’s going to be less than 16 and a double elim would not be that hard for an ALL DAY event.

“they wanted single elim because they expected 100+ teams to sign up” (…) “ALL DAY event” …. These are the key mistakes in their planning, along with post-qualifiers on mondays.

First of all, you have a single elimination qualifier, in a game that is trying to grow in the PVP scene.
If you also try doing many games in one day because is faster and easier, you will only get less teams to sign-up, since very few gw2 players have enough time to stay in front of the computer for so long in one day.
And with post-qualifiers running on Mondays at 18h00 CEST in Europe, is like saying “even if players go through qualifiers, they will have to leave their job/school earlier on Mondays every week” in countries with GMT and GMT+1 time (UK, Portugal, Spain, France, etc.).

Of course they will have much less teams than expected.
This needs to happen on weekends, in different days and with double elimination qualifiers. But now it’s too late to change it, unless they give some kind of motivation for teams to sign uup and postpone the tournament to January (which would be the best solution in my personal opinion).

(edited by Aztex.4895)

in PvP

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

Mondays are fail on so many levels. People with real lives can’t commit to the times they are going with.

If you are serious you need to hold these on the weekends. It’s your job and working an extra Saturday or two to get PvP leagues up and running is expected.

in PvP

Posted by: masskillerxploit.2165

masskillerxploit.2165

Mondays are fail on so many levels. People with real lives can’t commit to the times they are going with.

If you are serious you need to hold these on the weekends. It’s your job and working an extra Saturday or two to get PvP leagues up and running is expected.

Ok. Let me explain on my kittent phone, why it’s during the week. THE PRO LEAGUE IS MEANT FOR VERY DEDICATED TEAMS. YES, gw2 does have a small competitive scene especially in the highest level, however each of those teams can commit to any day the pro league matches could be on, so making it Monday or any other doesn’t matter too much. If you cannot dedicate time to the pro league then Good luck even qualifying… putting the matches on monday is smart, it weeds out all the casuals.

Ferox, multiclass’r, ESL’r
Team Lead For Radioactive [dK] B Team

in PvP

masskillerxploit.2165

Guild Wars 2 is finally going to be able to separate it’s Elites from Casuals.

in PvP

Posted by: Jelzouki.4128

Jelzouki.4128

+1

/15charsssßssss

http://strawpoll.me/3648686/r Queue for PvP from any map. Vote Here. Zojoel [ASAP Zerg]

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

Insane… team which can’t win a single ESL is calling people casuals because they got real life.

in PvP

masskillerxploit.2165

Insane… team which can’t win a single ESL is calling people casuals because they got real life.

I’m sry what team are you on? Have you ever performed well in a ESL? If you cannot answer these questions then I would re-evaluate your definition of casual.

And: if you are not playing the game as much as people would need to, to compete at ESL level, what constitutes a casual from a player that cares to win in these high level competitions? I’m pretty sure if u r not an elite, you are a casual, (at least this is what I mean, in my orginal post)

(edited by masskillerxploit.2165)

in PvP

Posted by: Firebird.8324

Firebird.8324

Ok. Let me explain on my kittent phone, why it’s during the week. THE PRO LEAGUE IS MEANT FOR VERY DEDICATED TEAMS. YES, gw2 does have a small competitive scene especially in the highest level, however each of those teams can commit to any day the pro league matches could be on, so making it Monday or any other doesn’t matter too much. If you cannot dedicate time to the pro league then Good luck even qualifying… putting the matches on monday is smart, it weeds out all the casuals.

I turned down an interview for an awesome job because it was second shift, and that meant no tournaments :P Esportz!

Over Powered Necro [dk] (Bird of Fire)
One spam to rule them all!
Mains Power Necro for team Radioactive[dk]

in PvP

masskillerxploit.2165

I turned down an interview for an awesome job because it was second shift, and that meant no tournaments :P Esportz!

I made sure that my college and work schedules don’t mess with the ESL pro league matches and qualifiers.

ESPORTZ.

in PvP

Posted by: Photinous.4628

Photinous.4628

If it’s double elimination, please God don’t stream it all. How boring that would be.

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

I see serious questions, lets have serious answers.
I’m usualy ignoring this “competitive” scene for few reasons, but your attitude in this topic has drawn my attention. You may consider it a bit harsh, but I guess you asked for it.

I’m sry what team are you on?

Why would I even want to join/form a team? So far prizes were so low I wouldn’t even bother if I just could get same or more money by visiting my local store and win FNM or other store organized tournament on weekly basis while playing MTG even less than seriously?

Have you ever performed well in a ESL?

Let me repeat, was there any reason to even “compete” in ESL so far? No?
Also, did you ever performed well in ESL yourself? Or you’re just performing in it? I thought you can’t beat one team since 40 weeks or so (?), I’ve already lost track for how long Abjured is melting faces on NA.

If you cannot answer these questions then I would re-evaluate your definition of casual.

How much money have you earned in competitive events (in any game) by winning them (losing, e.g. being #2 doesn’t count)?

And: if you are not playing the game as much as people would need to, to compete at ESL level

I’m not, I wouldn’t even join it. But since you’ve asked question, you should also ask yourself. Do you play this game enough to compete against Abjured?

to compete at ESL level

Lets take NA scene as example, who can compete on entire NA scene except Abjured?

what constitutes a casual from a player that cares to win in these high level competitions?

Nothing. Caring to win and winning are two different things. I’ve seen many “casual” players taking part in MTG tournaments and never winning a single 1$. We’re they not casuals because they tried to?

I’m pretty sure if u r not an elite, you are a casual, (at least this is what I mean, in my orginal post)

Then, you’ve to be casual yourself (at last this is what I mean, in my orginal post).

Btw, I remember few days ago someone complained on forums that players from “competitive” teams got horrible attitudes (with exception of Abjured) and it’s impossible to even root for them.
——————————————————————————————————
Edit: Do you really believe number of participants is so high, that limiting and filtering “casuals” will make GW2 “competitive” scene grow? I’ve been playing MTG for years, until I got bored with it and no single event, even minor qualifier was happning on other day than friday/weekend.

(edited by Morwath.9817)

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

I think you are a little confused. The problem is that 4 teams are moving on, so instead of 1 clear winner there are 4. Say for example for whatever reason spookie and radioactive end up in the same side of the bracket, one of them would be eliminatred even tho both are arguably top8
Na

i am a little confused simply because there should be a rating system. Also it doesnt matter if the 2 of the top 3 teams meet on one side.

In fifa there is always the group of death. In the NBA the west coast has had dirk, nash, kobe, duncan and all the east had was lebron. Things will never be perfect but if you want to compete at the highest level this is how it should be done.

Let the judges/record/what ever the ranking system is and bring your A game. Anet should be pushing PvP scene harder in game and out of the game. So if you want to make your case you have to prove it.

in PvP

masskillerxploit.2165

I’m usualy ignoring this “competitive” scene for few reasons, but your attitude in this topic has drawn my attention. You may consider it a bit harsh, but I guess you asked for it.

Why would I even want to join/form a team? So far prizes were so low I wouldn’t even bother if I just could get same or more money by visiting my local store and win FNM or other store organized tournament on weekly basis while playing MTG even less than seriously?

Also, did you ever performed well in ESL yourself? Or you’re just performing in it? I thought you can’t beat one team since 40 weeks or so (?), I’ve already lost track for how long Abjured is melting faces on NA.

If you cannot answer these questions then I would re-evaluate your definition of casual.

How much money have you earned in competitive events (in any game) by winning them (losing, e.g. being #2 doesn’t count)?

And: if you are not playing the game as much as people would need to, to compete at ESL level

I’m not, I wouldn’t even join it. But since you’ve asked question, you should also ask yourself. Do you play this game enough to compete against Abjured?

to compete at ESL level

Lets take NA scene as example, who can compete on entire NA scene except Abjured?

what constitutes a casual from a player that cares to win in these high level competitions?

Nothing. Caring to win and winning are two different things. I’ve seen many “casual” players taking part in MTG tournaments and never winning a single 1$. We’re they not casuals because they tried to?

I’m pretty sure if u r not an elite, you are a casual, (at least this is what I mean, in my orginal post)

Then, you’ve to be casual yourself (at last this is what I mean, in my orginal post).

Btw, I remember few days ago someone complained on forums that players from “competitive” teams got horrible attitudes (with exception of Abjured) and it’s impossible to even root for them.
Edit: Do you really believe number of participants is so high, that limiting and filtering “casuals” will make GW2 “competitive” scene grow? I’ve been playing MTG for years, until I got bored with it and no single event, even minor qualifier was happning on other day than friday/weekend.

You need some education on the competition of eSports in Gw2. If you want, feel free to pm me and I can answer all of the questions (i hate writing on forums). As for the “attitude” its just a reaction to your “attitude”. You do not know what your talking about obviously, so it annoyed me a bit. But srsly, if you want any insight into the High Level sPvP, you should look up past major tournaments and work up to ESL’s, otherwise your as clueless as your are now. Have a great night!

-ferox

in PvP

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

Football Sunday is a figment of your imagination huh?

in PvP

Posted by: Demus.4571

Demus.4571

to compete at ESL level

If you had any idea what you were talking about, you would know that prize money is distributed between all 8 pro league teams. Competing with the Abjured is not even relevant to this thread, as it is discussing the qualifiers to make it into said pro league.

Anyway, without a transparent, objective seeding system (which ESL doesn’t have) there is no way a single elimination tournament can be used to determine the top 4 teams competing. Double elimination is the only sensible choice here.

[ASAP] Zerg ~~~ Starkar

in PvP

Posted by: Anti.9156

Anti.9156

could you na guys stop ruining every thread with your drama? just stay on the actual discussion instead of attacking each other. The Minstrel thread already got ruined bc of some na idiots

in PvP

Posted by: Swagatron.8065

Swagatron.8065

@ Morwath. I heard a recently formed NA teams actually went 3-3 with Abjured in a recent scrimm.

Depending on the amount of teams, double elimination should be considered.

in PvP

Posted by: Aztex.4895

Aztex.4895

Guild Wars 2 is finally going to be able to separate it’s Elites from Casuals.

Ok, let me explain to you the benefits of having these competitions on weekends, from someone who has experience in coaching sports teams, managing competitive events (mainly in sports) and as marketeer.

Competitive scene
Weekends = More players* (even if a lot of causals) = Bigger Playerbase = More teams signing-up = More pro teams and pro players in a mid/long term = More Sponsors = More Money = Bigger prizes = Back to the More Players stage and all over again (vicious cycle)

Media scene
Weekends = More audience (streams, Youtube, etc.) = Bigger fanbase = More success in the competitive scene (contributes to the Competitive scene cycle with more players) = More sponsors = More money = Bigger Prizes = More Competitions/Streams = Back to the More Audience stage and all over again (vicious cycle)

Arenanet
Weekends = players less worried about lack of money (has a full job after all) = More time to play the game in a competitive scene = more time and money to invest in the game = More interest from the consumer to buy any expasion and gem items Anet throws at them.

PS: I find it funny when people say they can just leave the job 2 or 3 hours earlier every week, when that’s a choice most of us don’t have.

(edited by Aztex.4895)

in PvP

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

I’m on Radioactive and I agree

Woops

Baer