Skill Points in MMR Ratings

in PvP

Posted by: WarHawk.1892

WarHawk.1892

I like the idea of giving a bonus pip or 2 to the losing team if scores are super close. Just have to be careful about organized farming.

Picking up from another Thread…

It would be really nice if something similar to 1-mmr Point per Top Stat earned in a match became a thing. I don’t believe it would lead to any large mmr gains, but rather provide an outlet for skilled players to climb out of kitten when losing.

We’ve all had that guy quit mid-match, some of us have tried our hardest still to win that match to no avail. The most I have seen in Top Stats per person on any sort of regular basis is three. In this case we could say Top Damage+Kills+Offense just for visualization and with this system = +3 mmr points win or lose.

These tiny slivers of points for skill and effort could lesson the misery of consecutive losses and also reward a player for their actual contribution to a match. Once a 50/50 win rate sets in it could also help determine who truly deserves to climb a little higher in ranks once we start gaining or losing minimal mmr points.

What’s your guys thoughts?

Commander Pintsize
YouTube
No Fear is Folly; Persevering over Fear is Couragous

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Raw Skill Rating will never be given as a reward. If we had an accurate measure of match contribution based on stats, then it could get worked into the Glicko algorithm which would in turn maybe end up giving you more rating.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: WarHawk.1892

WarHawk.1892

Well, that is exactly it. I like this season, progress is being made but we can all agree there’s more to be done or ya’ll would be quiet on the forums lol. Above is an idea, I fully understand hard numbers could either inflate mmr or create a realm of perpetual mmr climbing. More or less seeking possibilities from the realm of other very successful games which are slow to show here in GW.

But we’re here trying to make Guild Wars-2 more competitive yes? To say “never” or nothing “like” that could happen is more like avoiding going through the trouble because its too hard or requires multiple steps. These types of things are not new in competitive games, maybe GW, doesn’t have a system in place for that right now. That is fine, but they can easily be successful ~cough~ Overwatch.

Commander Pintsize
YouTube
No Fear is Folly; Persevering over Fear is Couragous

in PvP

Posted by: onevsone.2098

onevsone.2098

Raw Skill Rating will never be given as a reward. If we had an accurate measure of match contribution based on stats, then it could get worked into the Glicko algorithm which would in turn maybe end up giving you more rating.

I think this is totally wrong.

The system should calculate your game performance and should give you a +x or -3 x mmr for top stats, based on your role.

I think you did a very good rework about new stats and you should put this in the performance player and mmr.

Evan, the matchmaking is not perfect and probably never will be, so I think players should have a way to save themselves from bad matchmaking, at least to contain the loss if they play well and get a bonus if they win the game. Maybe the contribution for loss can be higher dunno, but every player has only a 1/10 weight in 1 game, so you should promote some way to let them to advance better IF THEY PLAY WELL.

There is nothing more frustrating that see a single player who has 4 top stats+ and the rest of your team with NOTHING. And you lost the game.

(edited by onevsone.2098)

in PvP

Posted by: Lavyros.6258

Lavyros.6258

I think this is totally wrong.

The system should calculate your game performance and should give you a +x or -3 x mmr for top stats, based on your role.

I think you did a very good rework about new stats and you should put this in the performance player and mmr.

Evan, the matchmaking is not perfect and probably never will be, so I think players should have a way to save themselves from bad matchmaking, at least to contain the loss if they play well and get a bonus if they win the game. Maybe the contribution for loss can be higher dunno, but every player has only a 1/10 weight in 1 game, so you should promote some way to let them to advance better IF THEY PLAY WELL.

There is nothing more frustrating that see a single player who has 4 top stats+ and the rest of your team with NOTHING. And you lost the game.

Giving mmr as reward for top stats is a bad idea. MMR is used for matchmaking, and some one in your team will always get top stat, no matter how kitteny you and your team is. And there are a lot of roles that top stats don’t include. New top stat system is better then the old one. For example playing condi rev in season 1-4, I always had 3 top stats, conditions applied, boons applied and boons removed, just because I was playing class that was doing this constanly and is a feature of my condi build. In the end awarding MMR for top stat will make matchmaking less acurate than it is now, even if top stats meant something and it doesn’t mean that you are good or that you are even the best player on the team. MMR is not a reward, it’s a way to balance matches. Adding unpredictable variables to it will make matchmaking unpredictable.