Skill level and Classes

Skill level and Classes

in PvP

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Something I see a lot in PvP is people talking about classes in terms of skill level. There are two main aspects that I see most discussed…

1. Skill required to do “good” with a class in fights.

2. Skill required to kill a class in fights.

I have my own theories and thoughts about these two subjects, what do you guys think? Which classes do you feel “take the most skill” to play and which classes “require the most skill to kill”. I’d love to here everyone’s thoughts on it.

Skill level and Classes

in PvP

Posted by: TheMightyAltroll.3485

TheMightyAltroll.3485

That depends entirely on the build you’re using with each class, what class you’re fighting as well. The game is based on matchups of build and class.

Contact me ingame for Necro, Ranger, Mesmer, and Thief advice.

Skill level and Classes

in PvP

Posted by: Ostricheggs.3742

Ostricheggs.3742

That depends entirely on the build you’re using with each class, what class you’re fighting as well. The game is based on matchups of build and class.

This for the most part.

I would honestly rate the classes based on how hard it is to do their job properly. A bunker might not be killing things but has one of the more difficult jobs in the game.

In terms of rating a classes difficulty I’d say that each individual class has a different skill floor and ceiling. When I’m talking about a skill ceiling I mean what does it take to play a class completely optimally and how much effort does it take to play a class at that level. A skill floor is just the opposite, how easy is it to pick up the class as a totally new player and do relatively well with the class. A new player can pick up a thief and spam backstab all day but will get absolutely destroyed against any good team, for example.

In terms of skill floor/ceiling for classes in general I’d rate them as:

Warrior: Skill floor 2/10, Ceiling 4/10
Mesmer: Skill floor 2/10, Ceiling 7/10
Ranger: Skill floor 2/10, Ceiling 4/10
Bunker Guardian: Skill floor 4/10, Ceiling 8/10
Thief: Skill floor 1/10, Ceiling 8/10
Necromancer: Skill floor 2/10, Ceiling 5/10
Elementalist: Skill floor 3/10, Ceiling 7/10
Engineer: Skill floor 4/10, Ceiling 9/10

Of course it all depends on spec and matchups and I’m sure I’ma get kittened at for this, but I think these numbers are pretty accurate yo.

twitch.tv/ostricheggs MOTM/TOL 2/TOG NA/WTS Beijing winner. Message me for PvP Coaching
@$20 an hour! It’s worth it!

Skill level and Classes

in PvP

Posted by: Blackhat.4016

Blackhat.4016

It also depends on what is difficult for you.

If your positioning is really good thief is pretty easy to play. If you are able to keep track of a lot of CDs and know how to use combos properly ele is easy for you. There examples like these for every profession.

In the end they are all easy to learn and difficult to master but it depends on you which one is the most difficult.

That’s why I don’t think some kind of rating makes sense since it’s completely different for every player.

Skill level and Classes

in PvP

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

What’s funny is I would rate skill floor on all classes a 2/10 and the ceiling a 10/10 I don’t care how many builds people have theory crafted on certain classes or even if they are the top players on that class in the leaderboards someone out there has a build you haven’t tried and can possibly steam through you. Understanding and knowing the base mechanics of the game=skill floor knowing exactly how you need to adjust your build when playing a certain team and knowing every single build variation for your class=skill ceiling. IMO its almost impossible to reach skill ceiling in this game which is not a bad thing.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Skill level and Classes

in PvP

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

I think even the same concept of skill is different from class to class.

For instance, warriors are easier to maneuver than engineers. (less buttons to press)

But when I play warriors I always feel like I have to outsmart the whole game, or perish, that “not making mistakes” is just not good enough. And I perish often.XD

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

Skill level and Classes

in PvP

Posted by: TheMightyAltroll.3485

TheMightyAltroll.3485

This for the most part.

I would honestly rate the classes based on how hard it is to do their job properly. A bunker might not be killing things but has one of the more difficult jobs in the game.

In terms of rating a classes difficulty I’d say that each individual class has a different skill floor and ceiling. When I’m talking about a skill ceiling I mean what does it take to play a class completely optimally and how much effort does it take to play a class at that level. A skill floor is just the opposite, how easy is it to pick up the class as a totally new player and do relatively well with the class. A new player can pick up a thief and spam backstab all day but will get absolutely destroyed against any good team, for example.

Of course it all depends on spec and matchups and I’m sure I’ma get kittened at for this, but I think these numbers are pretty accurate yo.

I agree with this somewhat, but you have to remember, there are some viable builds that will take enormous quantities of skill to use on classes normally easy. I’m going to remake your list based on the hardest and easiest viable builds I have used for each class

Warrior: Skill floor 1/10, Ceiling 9/10
Ranger: Skill floor 1/10, Ceiling 2/10
Bunker Guardian: Skill floor 3/10, Ceiling 8/10
Thief: Skill floor 2/10, Ceiling 10/10
Necromancer: Skill floor 3/10, Ceiling 9/10
Elementalist: Skill floor 4/10, Ceiling 7/10
Engineer: Skill floor 3/10, Ceiling 9/10

Contact me ingame for Necro, Ranger, Mesmer, and Thief advice.

Skill level and Classes

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

This for the most part.

I agree with you but I think necromancer would be 7 for ceiling even before this patch because I seen some nasty ones that kill people just by landing combos on them unexpectedly.

I win a ton of games with my engy so I agree if you know how to play them they are the best.

Also the thief is pretty much right too, if your good you can kitten but I’ve seen some really really crappy thieves before, they have ability to kill but you need to know how to execute it and recovering from being countered which a lot of people cannot seem to do.

I’m glad someone else sees ranger as garbage, I just cant stand how people keep playing them, if anything they are just annoying, especially when they snipe you and run away and leave there pet on you, it does nothing but annoy me.