Skills should be locked on ORB carrier

in PvP

Posted by: waka.9826

waka.9826

I think this game mode or err map would be ALOT more intense and team work based if it was solely based on your teammates to protect you as you carry the orb.

in PvP

Posted by: Volted.2451

Volted.2451

True this will force build diversity or some more gray matter involved playing this map (RtL eles).
Volted.

in PvP

Posted by: East.8960

East.8960

i disagree. it lets teams choose what they want to carry for them. and i like how if im carrying an orb i can choose to turn around and team fight or run. i can also manage 1v1s without being gimped just cause i have orb. also the other team has to decide if they focus me with the orb who does no dmg, or do they stop the dps classes first?

-Kontrol

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

I definitely agree with OP

in PvP

Posted by: leashmaygoss.2140

leashmaygoss.2140

I gotta agree with homie Kontrol here

Hiba
Booty Bakery [yumy]
Engineer

in PvP

Posted by: magic fly.2041

magic fly.2041

I would love such a change, or even replacing all the player’s skills with other skills when they take the orb instead of locking them out.
Would definitely encourage team play.

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

signed +10000000
they’d have to lock utilities too so Anet’s favourite class can’t use a certain skill that turns them into an unkillable cloud of mist.

Picard: “Make it so!”

in PvP

Posted by: yonnystarr.2684

yonnystarr.2684

I think that replacing/removing the orb carrier’s abilities is going way too far. Less emphasis on abilities means more emphasis on stats. That decision would make beefy, soldier amulet wearing warriors who are traited in defense and tactics to be the best choice as the orb runner. Furthermore, a loss of abilities in addition to the slow buff would also mean that your team is down one man for however long it takes to run the orb (or fail) – meaning that getting the orb to the destination would be much, much too risky and difficult to coordinate to be worth the effort of 15-30 points. This would probably result in teams ignoring the concept of actually running the orb, and rather focus on holding points and capitalizing on the team unbalance when their opponents remove one of their members to try to run it.
If you fight a decent and coordinated team, they’re probably going to end up capping the orb if they get it, regardless of what class is running the orb. The key to stopping any orb runner is to not let them pick up the orb in the first place. The battle for the orb (usually) ends once it’s been picked up.

in PvP

Posted by: Pyrial.2917

Pyrial.2917

I think you should only be able to cap the orb on a point you control. Offers far better play. For instance, someone can push forward and try to neutralize the point before the orb carrier caps.

in PvP

Posted by: reedju.5786

reedju.5786

Please no, I respectfully disagree. Outside of solo join ele is on of the least use carriers I’ve seen. Plus how much fun would it be or tanking with 3 high CD utilities and no skill based weapon use? With a team with dedicated orb support or denial the weapon skills are barely enough to save an orb carrier without heavy team support. Guard, necro, and engi can all easily debunk most runners. RTL doesn’t go through area denial skills

Black Avarice

in PvP

Posted by: Stin.9781

Stin.9781

That way bunkers ar way stronger stat wise. The only change to Orb carrying would be give default health and armor levels to orb carrier. So that bunkers arent as effective and some classes which dont have effective bunker builds could work.

Former Devils Inside Thief R43

in PvP

Posted by: Defektive.7283

Defektive.7283

i disagree. it lets teams choose what they want to carry for them. and i like how if im carrying an orb i can choose to turn around and team fight or run. i can also manage 1v1s without being gimped just cause i have orb. also the other team has to decide if they focus me with the orb who does no dmg, or do they stop the dps classes first?

-Kontrol

This.

Maybe reduce leap based skills by 30% when under it. But the way it is now is solid.

tPvP Warrior
http://www.twitch.tv/defektive
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in PvP

Posted by: Blackhat.4016

Blackhat.4016

I personaly disagree. While leaps etc. are really strong (not only RTL, warriors etc. can be a runner just as good as any ele). If you would remove all the skills the only viable runner would be a warrior. Why?

Because he has the highest base stats and can be really tanky without using skills. Besides that it would change the meta to an even more bunker focused one. Why would you play a glass canon who can’t be the orb runner? There would be even less reasons to play anything besides bunkers (which most people including me hate).

in PvP

Posted by: cuge.5398

cuge.5398

Or maybe it is already good as it is now and QQers just need to adapt to the game and L2P. Eles cant just click on RtL and teleport from middle to a point, there are stairs and corners on the way so there are only 2 moments good for RtL: the beginning and the end of the path. How to counter it ?
line of warding on stairs completely block the way, or just immobilize/stun/daze/pull the carrier. Even if it pops stability and manage to use RtL once, there is still lot of space to kill him.

Or just work on prevention… keep one at middle to stop ppl communing to the orb.

in PvP

Blackhat.4016

^
+1

in PvP

Posted by: Rerroll.9083

Rerroll.9083

Atm the map is already a lot of fun, i would be careful with the changes.

Locking all skills is way too much, but maybe all mobility skills should be looked at.

Up Rerroll

in PvP

Liewec.2896

I think that replacing/removing the orb carrier’s abilities is going way too far. Less emphasis on abilities means more emphasis on stats. That decision would make beefy, soldier amulet wearing warriors who are traited in defense and tactics to be the best choice as the orb runner.

and about darn time? seeing the “sturdy bodied” plate wearing warrior out tanked by the mage class is just wrong no other MMO sees the mage out tanking the plate classes, and rightfully so.

mage classes should always be the class of choice for those who prefer to fight fire with fire, cloth armor with high damage.

edit: the reason i say “mage class” is that they’re one of the generic classes you’ll find in any mmo just as with warrior(barbarian, soldier) / rogue(assassin, thief) / paladin(cleric, shaman). who may vary in names.

in PvP

Blackhat.4016

It’s something Anet said when they announced Guild Wars 2. All professions should be able to be the damage dealer, tank or support (or a mix between those 3). Just because other MMOs do it differently it doesn’t mean it should be the same in Guild Wars 2.

By mage class I am assuming you mean D/D bunker builds which are the most common right now. If you are having problems with them here is how you can kill them easily:

Use some kind of boon removal (remove on crit, turn into conditions, etc.). D/D bunkers die really fast without their boons. Do NOT try to out sustain them, it simply does not work since eles have perma regen and a heal/condition removal on a short CD. Stun/burst combos also work really well (only if the ele doesn’t expect it).

Btw the whole discussion is completely off topic. :P

in PvP

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

I think that replacing/removing the orb carrier’s abilities is going way too far. Less emphasis on abilities means more emphasis on stats. That decision would make beefy, soldier amulet wearing warriors who are traited in defense and tactics to be the best choice as the orb runner.

and about darn time? seeing the “sturdy bodied” plate wearing warrior out tanked by the mage class is just wrong no other MMO sees the mage out tanking the plate classes, and rightfully so.

mage classes should always be the class of choice for those who prefer to fight fire with fire, cloth armor with high damage.

edit: the reason i say “mage class” is that they’re one of the generic classes you’ll find in any mmo just as with warrior(barbarian, soldier) / rogue(assassin, thief) / paladin(cleric, shaman). who may vary in names.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zDRLKp9kAU&list=PLBF2912D72F052EC7

Here is the “mage class” before it got hammered down with nerf hammer because of pre-release general QQ, from auto-attacks hitting people for 1.5k at high lvl of power to 400 dmg fireballs at 2k power, the damage has been nerfed so much on this profession that most mage types lovers feel the need to go extreme survival in order to still enjoy the mage archetype..

The funny thing is that a warrior tell us that a mage shouldn’t be able to “tank”..well a heavy armor profession shouldn’t be able to deal much more dmg than a light armor profession.

in PvP

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

signed. Eles shudnt be only ones with a long movement skill while the other classes crawl around with the orb.

in PvP

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

holly kitten look at the att recharge rate..im so jealous right now!Balance is a kitten

signed. Eles shudnt be only ones with a long movement skill while the other classes crawl around with the orb.

eles,invuln engies and freaking rangers!! leaping every second and evading, as well as bunker guardians.I think giving orb runners set of skills and a set of stats! wouldnt mess with balance but i guess it was their choice to have some classes as carriers and others as carrier stoperslike necros

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

thanks for your illuminating insight about… what other games do?
i take it you’re new to the gw franchise

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Eles aren’t even that good orb runners. Those rangers are doing pretty good though.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Fire.7459

Fire.7459

For me it’s ok….when you lock the abilities the orb runner have no chance to arrive under a strong enemy focus…..no way to defend from enemy attack……this is the just way for orb runner…..if you have many problems play more immobilize….or L2P….sorry for my bad english

in PvP

Liewec.2896

had 3 GW1 accounts, first and main was made on release day, completed all missions, lived in pvp, played constantly until GW2, here i have multiple 80s, play every class completed all 3 story archs, working on world complete and i’m currently rank 34 in pvp.
TLDR: no.

GW1 had a couple of gimmick tanky ele builds, but they could all be obliterated with 1-2 skills (disenchantment/conditions), ele also had amazing damage when they were specced to be squishy, i used to run an air spiker, and later a fire spiker in 2012 after some buffs there, the “mage class” the way it was supposed to be, deadly from afar but squishy, not “the tank”.

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

fair enough, touché

in PvP

Arheundel.6451

had 3 GW1 accounts, first and main was made on release day, completed all missions, lived in pvp, played constantly until GW2, here i have multiple 80s, play every class completed all 3 story archs, working on world complete and i’m currently rank 34 in pvp.
TLDR: no.

GW1 had a couple of gimmick tanky ele builds, but they could all be obliterated with 1-2 skills (disenchantment/conditions), ele also had amazing damage when they were specced to be squishy, i used to run an air spiker, and later a fire spiker in 2012 after some buffs there, the “mage class” the way it was supposed to be, deadly from afar but squishy, not “the tank”.

In GW2 we have boon removal and conditions..so nothing has changed…well now a warrior can deal more damage than an ele while still having 50% more HP, the conditions have become much more favourable to mele players than mage players…as I said before..you should be thankful

in PvP

Liewec.2896

In GW2 we have boon removal and conditions..so nothing has changed…well now a warrior can deal more damage than an ele while still having 50% more HP

not really, tank eles in GW1 relied on enchants usually with long cooldowns like Obsidean Flesh, this makes them different to boons since boons can be spammed,
you’ll no sooner remove them all and they’ll be back up again,
remove a GW1 ele’s enchants and he’s useless until they get off cooldown.
also there was no spam condition removal through traits since traits did’nt exist,
if you wanted to remove conditions it’d cost you a skill slot,
and the self target ones usually had higher cooldowns.

as for the warrior damage, in order for a warrior to “deal more damage than an ele” they’ll be specced glass cannon,
and they’ll have frenzy up meaning they take very high damage,
plus you can immobilize/chill/cripple them at range.

in PvP

Arheundel.6451

In GW2 we have boon removal and conditions..so nothing has changed…well now a warrior can deal more damage than an ele while still having 50% more HP

not really, tank eles in GW1 relied on enchants usually with long cooldowns like Obsidean Flesh, this makes them different to boons since boons can be spammed,
you’ll no sooner remove them all and they’ll be back up again,
remove a GW1 ele’s enchants and he’s useless until they get off cooldown.
also there was no spam condition removal through traits since traits did’nt exist,
if you wanted to remove conditions it’d cost you a skill slot,
and the self target ones usually had higher cooldowns.

as for the warrior damage, in order for a warrior to “deal more damage than an ele” they’ll be specced glass cannon,
and they’ll have frenzy up meaning they take very high damage,
plus you can immobilize/chill/cripple them at range.

Obsidian flesh was simply a tool to reduce incoming damage (newer version) while the older version could not be stripped by normal means as all disenchantments skills were spells and spells didn’t work on obsidian flesh, the newer version ( with no spell immunity) was a weaker version of other simpler ways to access dmg mitigation.

In the end of the days an ele was using enchantmenet to compensate for the lack of armor, here we use boons instead of enchantments, a normally specced ele can have protection boons up for very low periods of time ( 3-4s ), while a bunker by using boon duration increase runes can go way over 10s protection, but in this case the ele would deal no dmg

And if we talk about spammable conditions removals we can talk about monks 5s CD elites, because GW1 was a team based game, still it was possible for an ele to simply use monk elites ( for fun of course! as who need to remove conditions against a necro? they were free kill), still an ele cannot spamm condition removal at all!
If you talk about bunkers, they’re heavily traited in condition removal, a normal ele got no more condition removal than a warrior

Finally the warrior use frenzy to increase attack speed…no attack power, my warrior can deal with its auto-attack what an ele can by using skill 3 to 5 on any weapon set, we’re talking about having the same power ( 2004 power) on heavy armor target, a warrior got 1.6 dmg coefficient on every skill while an ele got 0.3-0.6 dmg coefficient on average ( with few 1.5+ case there and there), this means even as glass cannons a warrior would still deal way more damage than ele, but the latter would have 1/3 of the survivability while specced that way

P.S I almost forgot mesmers can spamm boon removal easily