Skyhammer isn't terrible because of mechanics

in PvP

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

What makes Skyhammer so terrible isn’t that it’s possible to get knocked off. It isn’t even the overpowered cannon.

What makes the map so terrible is the actual map design. We don’t even have to go into its ridiculous abundance of the Z-axis. Instead, the problem is how easy it is to avoid someone’s line of sight (LOS).

It’s extremely easy as a melee range, particularly a guardian, to completely avoid anyone’s LOS with the map’s many columns while remaining on a point. This further punctuates one of conquest’s big flaws: fighting has to be done directly on points, which grants melee mechanics a slight advantage. (This isn’t a problem on most maps because the points don’t make it easy to move out of an opponent’s LOS, but it’s a problem on Skyhammer because of all the LOS problems it has.)

This actually makes the map’s mechanics even more problematic because knockbacks usually require melee range and the cannon is almost always fired on points.

None of this is too much of a problem in terms of Skyhammer because the map will never be in team arena or tournaments. But it’s worth noting for future maps because the amount of LOS is simply terrible.

(edited by Lopez.7369)

in PvP

Posted by: Derps.7421

Derps.7421

Or its the fact that you can instantly kill someone with a single push of a button or the fact their is a undodgeable massive aoe nuke that is also a knock down covers the entire point and hits between 5k and 8k damage.WOW what a neat and fun mechanic. But what is the most frustrating part is that some people in this games community actually think this map takes skill and is all about XxLEETxX positioning and mad skillzzzzz. When i fact i can get on my engi run over a panel use tool magnet pull and instantly kill them. Look at all that skill involved.

Dr. Professor Evil – Engi
Stunned Girls Can’t Say No <Hawt>

in PvP

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

I’m not sure what game you’re playing if you think melee is at an advantage anywhere lol

From my original post:

“(This isn’t a problem on most maps because the points don’t make it easy to move out of an opponent’s LOS, but it’s a problem on Skyhammer because of all the LOS problems it has.)

“This actually makes the map’s mechanics even more problematic because knockbacks usually require melee range and the cannon is almost always fired on points.”

In other words, it’s not a problem on most maps. It’s only a problem in this map because it has so many LOS issues.

There’s a sweet spot between too much and too little LOS. Going too far on either side of the spectrum favors melee or range. I’m simply arguing that the amount of LOS in Skyhammer makes it favor melee too much, and that should be kept in mind for future maps.

in PvP

Posted by: CMstorm.8679

CMstorm.8679

isn’t that kind of what anet was going for with Skyhammer? To not make it so everyone is on the same ground level running back and forth attacking each other? There’s no problem with skyhammer at all. I’ll admit it is a kittenallenging to try to stay on a target with all the air lifts hopping from floor to floor though. But that’s what makes it interesting. AND its a brilliant map for CC trolls.