Smurf Accounts

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: DarthDragonVanquisher.6912

DarthDragonVanquisher.6912

They allow high tier tpvp players a chance to unwind and not have to worry about our ranking and give us the chance to play with more of our friends! I personally just made one and I’m loving the fact that i can just do tournaments with a quick pick up group instead of doing hotjoins in Spvp while i wait for my really good friends to get on and push rating.. it also gives us more leeway to try different comps out without having to worry about tanking rating.. There have been a few people who have been complaining about smurf accounts popping up and rising in the leaderboards.. I just though I’d make this thread and throw my perspective on the subject out there.. I know there’s quite a few of the top 200 players who have 1 or 2 smurf accounts that they use for different reasons..

The Official GW2 Esports Drama Reporter

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Nikkle.4013

Nikkle.4013

Anet could offer a choice to que unranked. Matchmaking still there but without the risk of dropping rank. Would be nice to be able to solo que without having to buy a new account. I would like to grind glory in solo when my team-mates are not on but without dropping 400 ranks like I did last time I gave solo a shot.

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Narcarsis.5739

Narcarsis.5739

I do this on my main account. Rating is meaningless.

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

rating show only how lucky you are by farming SoloQers with your premade

useless

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Yeah I don’t think rating means that much at the moment but to each his own. Once they release a real solo-q rank then it’ll matter more I reckon but team ranks will always be meh.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

useless

This.

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Agreed.

I don’t find it worth it just to buy a completely new account just to queue in low ranked tournaments. That’s what hotjoins are for….

Also rating is worthless

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

I don’t care about my rating. I just don’t like fighting premades all the time as a solo q.

I’d never buy a second account just to run solo q. That’s messed up IMO.

Just another noob thief…

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

Need more people to buy 2nd and 3rd accounts to support Anet and Subsidize me not spending money.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Stealth.9324

Stealth.9324

Now I see why I lose to rabbit rank occasionally despite I am r30 Q_____Q….

Kaane Moka – Champion Magus. Loola Illuma – Champion Genius.
Proud player of : team [uA] – team [TGI]. Australia base, now recruiting.

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

Stop tryharding.

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Follidus.8027

Follidus.8027

What’s cool is when people that have smurf accounts use them to queue against high rated players, and then never play on their real accounts because it “wouldn’t make sense to.”

Hope they can do something about this before more people start taking leaderboards seriously. Just saying.

Cause I ain’t perfect, I never said I was.
But now they’re hating cause a brotha finally got some buzz
www.twitch.tv/Follidus – Team Absolute Legends

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Need more people to buy 2nd and 3rd accounts to support Anet and Subsidize me not spending money.

This

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

What’s cool is when people that have smurf accounts use them to queue against high rated players, and then never play on their real accounts because it “wouldn’t make sense to.”

Hope they can do something about this before more people start taking leaderboards seriously. Just saying.

I’m going to use my smurf account just for this… Thank You Follidus

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Skyro.3108

Skyro.3108

This is a combination of the incredibly tiny playerbase along with whatever MMR rating ANet has currently implemented being incredibly volatile (the exact MMR rating may be fine with a sizable playerbase, but needs to be adjusted until that playerbase develops, if ever). Smurfing isn’t really a problem at all in games with strong playerbases like SC2.

That said, I have no idea why you would waste money on a smurf account. Yeah you can go down quickly in ranks if you like to solo q, but it literally jumps right back up once you start queuing with your team again, and because of the tiny playerbase it doesn’t appear to have much of an effect on who the system matches you up against.

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Interpret Interrupt.3824

Interpret Interrupt.3824

$60 >>> virtual ranking.

K Pop
The Warrior, The Necro, The F1 Connoisseur
http://www.twitch.tv/interpretinterrupt

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Stealth.9324

$60 >>> virtual ranking.

Such a wise man…

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

useless

Anet made the leader board to match the ranking system in game.

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: samo.1054

samo.1054

Seriously, why would I care about rank so much that it would make me buy another copy of GW2?

Dude, it’s a game. In a couple of years all the ranking will be meaningless. I play PvP exclusively because I have fun doing it. I don’t care about ranking and also I don’t care about Oh-so-needed rewards that so many people are crying out for.

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

In a couple of years all the ranking will be meaningless.

o_O

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

samo.1054

In a couple of years all the ranking will be meaningless.

o_O

Yes, in a couple of years rank is going to be meaningless even for those that care about it right now.

What’s so weird about that?

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

KarlaGrey.5903

Because it has been meaningless start-on?

It’s based on a format where you beat on random teams consistently. Anyone taking a ranking based off sth like that seriously needs to go have their head examined.

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

samo.1054

Well apparently it’s not meaningless to some people, since they’re considering smurf accounts, because they don’t want to tank their rank, when they don’t have their friends online to go into tournies premade… :P

(edited by samo.1054)

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

KarlaGrey.5903

Objectively speaking, it is meaningless (i.e. unrepresentative). But I suppose low player standards coupled with self-delusion make the difference.

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Isn’t it cool that more than half of top100 are inactive or smurf-accounts?
I hope if they finally are able to split the qeues this will dissappear too.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

samo.1054

Yes, objectively speaking it is meaningless, I never claimed otherwise myself. But that won’t stop people that care about it, telling you that calling it meaningless is your subjective point of view…

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: papaganoosh.7908

papaganoosh.7908

Thank god it isn’t just me that thinks this.

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Shar.3402

people will still continue to use smurf accounts (they don’t have to pay monthly fee after all) when duo-tri queueing with some friends or when pugging with randoms, team ladder will always be meaningless untill it becomes a real team ladder with registered teams
soloQ ladder, on the other hands, will be more balanced.

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Champion Magus, Genius

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

people will still continue to use smurf accounts (they don’t have to pay monthly fee after all) when duo-tri queueing with some friends or when pugging with randoms, team ladder will always be meaningless untill it becomes a real team ladder with registered teams

Agree. I was not clear enough due to laziness of not wanna write a wall. However, ladder-decay also has to work proper, as it is clearly not at the moment.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

I don’t understand rankings >_> you don’t get anything from it afaik? Why care? Is this some sort of ego thing?

If unique skin rewards were in place for ranking well, then they might actually matter.. But buying another account atm just seems pointless.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Shar.3402

I don’t understand rankings >_> you don’t get anything from it afaik? Why care? Is this some sort of ego thing?

If unique skin rewards were in place for ranking well, then they might actually matter.. But buying another account atm just seems pointless.

e – pe en, mostly. That’s the only thing we get from leaderboards atm. (I can’t believe kitten is censored…)

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Champion Magus, Genius

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

KarlaGrey.5903

Be glad they forgot to include the version with a space inbetween. Moreover, mind that ‘troll’ also used to be censored…must have been a first time in the world of net forums.

Agree. I was not clear enough due to laziness of not wanna write a wall. However, ladder-decay also has to work proper, as it is clearly not at the moment.

But but! A working ladder decay would reveal the current state of ‘competitive’ pvp in all its glory!

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

kitten, mostly. That’s the only thing we get from leaderboards atm. (I can’t believe kitten is censored…)

I see, I see. I’m having the same issue to a lesser degree just with lvling up in pvp. I’m just after a certain set of skins from paid tourny tokens (which I just finished) and wolf rank for the cool wolf emote ( I think it’s adorable T_T) But then I don’t feel I’ll have a reason to keep going after rank 30 unless they introduce some pvp only achievable skins. At this rate I’ll be done by the day after tomorrow as I’m at rank 29. I have noticed that in the hotjoins there’s alot of this ego thing going on, people trash talking and running around in zergs, people who will chase me to the other side of the map trying to kill me instead of capping points because they are mad I knocked them off the edge at skyhammer.

There’s this strange emotional involvement that people develop and I think it’s partly because there’s not many other reasons to pvp if you already have the skins and animal summon that you want.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

so many people are complaining about the uselessness of the ladder. funny fact that most of those are playing on smurf accounts to not lose their rating they get with their/a team.
if ladder is useless, why care about rating?

another fact is that this behavior (smurfing) completely destroys a good working mmr, because they are competing in a ladder-tier at which they don’t belong to (in case of wrong account-rating according to skill).

must be a lot of fun destroying people as a high-ranked with smurf-account… faced the same problem on gw1 gvg ladder – always wanted to report them and wish them a ban – never did happen

ladder decay should be working already, but obviously its not.
rank6 on EU has last played 3 weeks ago – and the ladder is full of such samples.

as i see it, this is only a problem for now (regarding to promises) – because ladder split with a proper decay and a punishing system for leavers would iron so many things out – cant wait to see it implemented

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Be glad they forgot to include the version with a space inbetween. Moreover, mind that ‘troll’ also used to be censored…must have been a first time in the world of net forums.

But but! A working ladder decay would reveal the current state of ‘competitive’ pvp in all its glory!

Hehe… that would be priceless!

Read It Backwards [BooN]

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Conan.8046

Conan.8046

I didn’t even know there is a ladder…and if there is no rewards then frankly i don’t care either.

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Up to other people if they want to solo q on another account. I actually prefer solo q in this game so don’t really see the need to avoid it on main account. Solo queuing is more fun than team queuing and dealing with all the ego maniacs. You also get some of the best players in solo q, and occasionally you get a really cool team to take down some premades. I am not sure a solo q ladder will do much unless they lock character swapping and hide rosters before the games start.

Sure you get some games where you lose 500-0 but really it is worth putting up with this for the good parts in solo q as opposed to team queue.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

After having my smurf account for a day i must admit my favorite part about it is winning games on my rank 1, and beating teams in the 100-300 Leaderboard range and seeing their rankings just drop almost 90 points per loss because my rating is non existent!! Epic feeling! Trolling is the best

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Authority.6145

Authority.6145

The ratio is one out of two players has got a smurf account. Precisely it is one out of three but slowly is going to have the ratio mentioned in the first sentence.

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Godofallu.2935

Godofallu.2935

I try not to care about my rating and I do go into games on a daily basis when I know the team I am with has some weak players or a bad comp or doesn’t even have 5.

That said saying rating is completely meaningless is absolute garbage and everyone on this thread does know that deep down in their hearts. Rating has some meaning. Folly and the other top players didn’t get to the top because there was a giant dice roll. They got there because when they play time and time again they manage to win games. They win more games then everyone else and I promise you with an N value far far over 30 there is statistical significant in these results.

Sure we can’t directly see 1v1 fight potential, or map awareness, or ability to bunker well directly in the leaderboards. But doing those things very well and finding other great players who want to play with you because they also think/know you do those things well leads to wins. Wins come from the sum total of each teams player skill the vast majority of the time.

Proud GW2 Esports Guild Admin and Coach. Whisper me for duels, help, or guild invites.

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

guys how about you make another smurf account to protect the rating of your smurf account (dot dot dot)

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Spending money to preserve my position into a nonsense ladder? No thanks. When my mates are off i just soloq like if there’s no tomorrow, i can easily go from 2-300 to 95% then up to 400 again and down to 900-95% in 2 hours lol (Everything based on how many premades i get while soloq)…i loose? No problem..i don’t give a kitten at all, and at the end of the day i had more fun than those “Omg can’t go solo i’m going to loose positions..omg omg omg” (Goes hotzerg all day)

Yeah you have a good ladder pos so? I see bad players everywhere in top leaderboards and good ones not even listed…here’s your farmbased ladder anet, screw it and screw you…yoloq ftw xD

(edited by Archaon.6245)

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: Chun Jae Lee.2751

Chun Jae Lee.2751

Now I see why I lose to rabbit rank occasionally despite I am r30 Q_____Q….

I was rabbit and already beat/soloed r30 players.

Manager of The Last Pride International [EvIL]
Member of The Last Pride [EvIL]
EvIL FoREvER ~

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Stealth.9324

U use surf account as well?

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: jalmari.3906

jalmari.3906

ranking is important

wait..

Guardian 80 Necromancer 80 Ranger 80 Mesmer 80 Elementalist 80 Warrior 80

Smurf Accounts

in PvP

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

make rank character independent.

a guy named Crispeke occupies place 6, 14, and 22.

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

(edited by nakoda.4213)