So I wanted to try a new class today....

in PvP

Posted by: Aylpse.6280

Aylpse.6280

Yeah no.
Any new players we have in PvP have probably left. Considering they would be worse off then me. And I was downed 90% of the time. Granted I wanted to try Thief of all classes.

Hotjoin – Zerg or be Zerged
Unranked – I would be a liability to my team
Ranked – I would be a liability to my team

Literally no place to learn a new class. This is awful. /rant

Taking the higher moral ground since 1993.

(edited by Aylpse.6280)

in PvP

Posted by: BadMed.3846

BadMed.3846

Out of all the classes available you chose thief. I dont know what you play otherwise but you should have gone dragonhunter, chronomancer, revenant or anything…..but thief.

in PvP

Posted by: Aylpse.6280

Aylpse.6280

My reason for picking Thief is I like trickster-like Rogues in RPGs after Rangers, Clerics and Cultists. Daredevil fits the bill, but I see that was a mistake.

My point still stands there is almost no place to practice outside of private arenas and even there its going to be difficult.

Taking the higher moral ground since 1993.

in PvP

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I don’t know why it’s so hard to implement 1v1 – 2v2 – 3v3 etc servers,yet they spent so much kittening time on pve….

in PvP

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

At least it wasn’t Berserker.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in PvP

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Practice in Unranked. It’s unranked, which means it’s no big deal.

Or, just deal with hotjoin group fights. If nothing else, fighting outnumbered forces you to quickly learn your skills to survive or realize what kills you fastest.

Plenty of places to learn, you just need to not care so much about losing/dying.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in PvP

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

chuckles internally

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in PvP

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

I don’t know why it’s so hard to implement 1v1 – 2v2 – 3v3 etc servers,yet they spent so much kittening time on pve….

If they did that, major balance issues would present themselves.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

Yea, that was literally the only issue I had when I tried switching from guard to thief. Guard was a simple 123 with little deviation in combos. Thief, on the other hand….. I eventually stuck to watching streams until I got a breakthrough in my head. Hopefully leagues will group similarly skilled players together this time around so newbies don’t get thrashed by the abjured (or similar skill gap).

in PvP

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

My reason for picking Thief is I like trickster-like Rogues in RPGs after Rangers, Clerics and Cultists. Daredevil fits the bill, but I see that was a mistake.

My point still stands there is almost no place to practice outside of private arenas and even there its going to be difficult.

I made the same mistake long ago. This game gave profession names not by their full archetype but for some part of it.

If you like tricksters engineer is the class for you. Not thief. Thief is kill or be killed in 4 secs nowadays. No decent tricks.

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

If you like tricksters engineer is the class for you.

^

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: Asato.5479

Asato.5479

Because Anet is full of stubborn people ! They want to compete against LoL/Dota2. They want to proof that 5v5 is all fun and is meant for everyone.

I’m having a hard time now… while trying to PvP with a newly created team. I didn’t have fun today. We lost most of the games.

I’d enjoy so much 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 !

in PvP

Posted by: saturn.4810

saturn.4810

Try unranked. Matchmaking is borked anyway, so you can just blame Anet if ppl complain

I played some games as noob thief for dailies and did ok.

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

Yeah no.
Any new players we have in PvP have probably left. Considering they would be worse off then me. And I was downed 90% of the time. Granted I wanted to try Thief of all classes.

Ranked – I would be a liability to my team

Literally no place to learn a new class. This is awful. /rant

Want to learn new class?

Here a list of suggestions from personal experience:

-Do not use metabattle but custom build, see what works or not for yourself
-Disable map/say chat
-Disable team chat( if necessary)
-Go Invisible mode ( alert your guild/friends before doing so )
-Focus on learning your class mechanics
-Do not get hung up on revenge kills or the number of your deaths
-Have an open mind ( each class will always have strengths and weaknesses )

in PvP

Posted by: foste.3098

foste.3098

My reason for picking Thief is I like trickster

Play mesmer, it is a trickster class like the teef but a caster instead of a melee fighter. You rely on active defences (blind block distortion) and misdirection via clones and also can choose to go the route of a stealth (with longer stealth than thief but with not as spamable), and on top of all that you are more useful to the team than the thief.

You can even play a decent bunker with chronomancer by taking the distortion well and sword shield with inspiration for healing on shatter. Or you can dominate team fights with gravity well x2 or go for a duelist build with power block lockdown.

What i am saying is as a mesmer you can achieve the exact same play style as a thief but be more effective and have more build diversity so you can play different roles other than just a +1 roamer with high burst (again mesmer is better at burst than thief).

see no evil ,until i stab you

in PvP

Posted by: Miles Smiles.8951

Miles Smiles.8951

Well, recogniizing that you “would be a liability” is like already a half way, in my opinion, it’s really good So just go play unranked and try to be useful to your team as you can, that’s the way to get better..

in PvP

Posted by: Mefiq.7039

Mefiq.7039

play Guard its easy… Thief is paper, thief is most hated class by anet, thief is slowy dying now(playerbase wise).

“Im speaker of Truth” – Mefiq.7039 2015

in PvP

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

You want easier gameplay and you want to play a trickster class.

I would say play bunker chrono as a start.
You will win.

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Don’t see the issue. I got bored, made a Thief, played a P/P build. Died a bit at first, learned a bit, then had a ton of fun. All in Hotjoin. You can practice in Hotjoin, works as intended. Also private servers exist. The experience of forum ragers does not make a statement true.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Posted by: benhamann.9570

benhamann.9570

I just came back after almost a year. I have played maybe 100 matches over 3 weeks. I ALWAYS queue solo and always have. I have no idea what people cry about. I do see some premades. Sometimes they stomp us, sometimes we stomp them. It is really not that much of a problem. It makes the win that much sweeter if your PUG team beats a premade. In fact, it didn’t even occur to me that people were so upset about it until I was here looking through the forums. Why must people cry about everything under the sun? Life aint fair kids! Adapt or quit.

EDIT
GW2 is not an easy game, pvp wise. Every time I come back after a hiatus I spend more time watching the new finishers being slammed on me than anything else. Then I start to learn and adapt. Then it gets fun :-) I don’t care what the haters say, this game has the best pvp available and it has since it launched.

(edited by benhamann.9570)