So glad 1v2 is nearly impossible to win...

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

I am so glad that you can only rarely beat two simultaneous attackers. While you can do it often in other games where you have extra advantages from better weapons and better armor, in GW2 things are more balanced in sPvP and tournaments.

And I say that’s a really good thing.

In GW2 you can only win against two others if

1) They both start with less than half health
2) They are both less than half as skilled as you are, or
3) Your profession and build is a natural “counter” to both of theirs.

Otherwise, expect to die when two people attack you.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

in PvP

Posted by: Javious.4912

Javious.4912

Nah you can actually win 2v1s without these 2 conditions well 2) being an exception cause you just need a good utility skill to stealth or make you invurn (mist form) while u stomp.

in PvP

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

Dunno, I’ve beaten an ele in the same spec as me + a GS warrior within 5s. They were pretty decent players, but made the mistake of standing together when I unloaded my nukes.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Skolops.2604

Skolops.2604

I look at it as the opposite. I certainly don’t think it should be possible to win 1 v 2s regularly, but I find its essentially impossible in this game unless you’re one of a select few professions. In previous games, I could at least survive in 1v2s versus equally geared opponents long enough to make some difference in the game, and I could occasionally win one. I think that’s pretty reasonable, and makes for a more interesting game.

in PvP

Posted by: uMad.5719

uMad.5719

Only way to win vs a numbers advantage is either due to an overwhelming advantage via either player skills or initial damage on the attacks, class mechanics, OR severly outplaying the two attackers. Which I feel is fine.

in PvP

Posted by: Derps.7421

Derps.7421

I have won a 3v1 on my engi with teldos point defense build.

Dr. Professor Evil – Engi
Stunned Girls Can’t Say No <Hawt>

in PvP

Posted by: Quon.8125

Quon.8125

Only way to win vs a numbers advantage is either due to an overwhelming advantage via either player skills or initial damage on the attacks, class mechanics, OR severly outplaying the two attackers. Which I feel is fine.

^This. I really wish everyone would stop comparing GW2 to other games, & not that the original poster did but, especially WoW. This is NOT WoW & I pray it never ever becomes that.

NO, there is NO better gear &/or weapon to equalize the gap between a skilled & an unskilled player, that will make you own when you actually suck. NO, there is no super-I WINZ!!11!! button/skill (well, there aren’t that as many left), & NO again, you’re not going to run in & simultaneously slaughter 2 other skilled players because of your uber stuffs.

I’m ecstatic that that’s how it is, & I wouldn’t have it any other way; for all its flaws, I LOVE that aspect of GW PvP, that your gear doesn’t mean jack, so if you’re fail, you’ll fail, end of story. But for anyone who wants to feel like they’re good at PvP when they’re really not, hey, there ARE other games out there that will coddle you to warm fuzzy feelings of greatness.

Hyrista – Engineer

in PvP

Posted by: Mayama.1854

Mayama.1854

I look at it as the opposite. I certainly don’t think it should be possible to win 1 v 2s regularly, but I find its essentially impossible in this game unless you’re one of a select few professions. In previous games, I could at least survive in 1v2s versus equally geared opponents long enough to make some difference in the game, and I could occasionally win one. I think that’s pretty reasonable, and makes for a more interesting game.

You can easily hold out long enough as a guardian, engineer or mesmer versus 3 to make a difference.

in PvP

Posted by: ErkiB.8375

ErkiB.8375

Its possible but I do agree, its very difficult, in GW1, you could easily fight 2 people at once and win, Well thats my experience atleast. in GW2, its also possible but not easy in anyway.

GW2 does focus more on Group vs Group rather than 2v1 or 3v2.

1v1 in GW2 is wicked awesome and very fair inmo.

in PvP

Posted by: DangerMonkey.3158

DangerMonkey.3158

With my SB thief or dual axe ranger I beat 2 players quite easily, but thats because hot join is full of 12yo’s and trash.

Fear me! For I am the dangerous primate!
Rank 1X SneekyTheef (T), Wizzizard (M), Gerdierhn (G)
Builds:http://www.gw2builds.org/user/dangermonkey

in PvP

Posted by: Vlaid.5790

Vlaid.5790

There’s a lot of situations that allow you to win a 2v1, but it’s very situational. All things being equal, if you go into a 2v1 you should lose.

in PvP

Posted by: Mine Laces.7108

Mine Laces.7108

The problem in my honest opinion is the downed state making very hard to 1 vs 2(or more) .
Downing 2 people and being pushed away by a random guardian that rez em all … i just don’t like it and i think punishes more good players then bad ones taking advantage of downed state.

“Smashing doors at 5am … fun fun fun fun fun” Rebecca Black

in PvP

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Yes, the downed-state is what is holding this back. You can’t reliably finish a player off while his friend is still running about. And while you’re chasing him around the downed guy is throwing rocks at you and or healing himself.

It’s just bad.

in PvP

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

It’s very class dependent, too. Some professions can win a 3v1 or more with the right tricks. Others will probably just evaporate in anything but an even fight.

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

Plague said: “Some professions can win a 3v1 or more with the right tricks”.

Sorry. No, that is not going to happen against 3 players who are actually playing to win the fight.

in PvP

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

It’s highly dependent on player skill. If you have a massive lead of skill over your opponents, it’s actually not hard to 2v1 or 3v1 in this game. It’s fairly common in open sPvP at the moment.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

in PvP

Posted by: Malakree.5912

Malakree.5912

Stuns and stability is required to win a 1v2 so that when you down one you can then finish him.

in PvP

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

Eh, it’s often best not to stomp when you are on the verge of winning a 1v2. Interrupt and just DPS the ally down as they expose themselves. Poison on the downed target is a great way to slow the revive down too, since it counts as healing.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

Of course the egos have to claim they have the skill to do it. <grin>

Video or it did not happen…

in PvP

Posted by: Malakree.5912

Malakree.5912

Of course the egos have to claim they have the skill to do it. <grin>
Video or it did not happen…

With a solid build it’s really easy to 1v2 bads, 1v2 against good players is far harder that is easy to understand in “theory” but way harder to actually pull off. As a mesmer if you can put one down and have 3 clones up you can pop distortion for a free stomp…..I’d guess there are similar ways other classes can do it….

in PvP

Posted by: Mekboss.5069

Mekboss.5069

I 1v2 people all the time, sometimes even 1v3 and manage to get a kill out of it, it’s mostly due to stealth and evades though.

in PvP

Posted by: StSwfx.3754

StSwfx.3754

1v2 isn’t possible in any real sense. Mesmer with distortion for instance I can kill and stomp one of the two opponents unless its another mesmer, or a thief who can teleport and waste my invulnerability. Chances are one of them is a thief since they are 50% of the population.

Putting that aside however there are too many combos that ruin any chance of real duel situation 2v1. One of them is a mesmer and uses Moa. One is a thief and uses shadow refuge and comes back at full health. One is an unkillable dot necro. One of them is a dps guardian with invul shield and full heal tome. One of them is an unkillable condition tank engineer with the rez pot.

in PvP

Posted by: Zawaka.5170

Zawaka.5170

hmmm I think you can 1v2 quite often. It depends on build obviously you need to not be squishy and need to have stability or some other way to stop them from stopping you from finishing them. To be honest I am not a fan of the downed state. But i am working around it. If your playing a Trillion strikes warrior or pistolkittenthief you are probably to squishy to kill them and then finish them off in their downed state.

With my current thief build I am playing a non burst build utilizing aoe survivability healing and stealth. I CC(slow) people on the point and aoe quite alot. I have 1v4’d people dozens of times Using my stealth to finish people who go down and my aoe damage over time to punish those who attempt to revive others. In tournaments i always go treb because i can 1v2 kill them both with ease and get back on the treb
turning my teams fight into a 4v3 and with the benefit of the treb. Some times I wont even finish them just keep them from rezzing so they cant do anything in the game. effectively keeping the game 4v3 for several minutes and i let me team know that too. If they have some one on the treb the battle is a 4v2 good odds in my opinion.

in PvP

Posted by: Geewoody.2017

Geewoody.2017

Rolling as a well-rounded Sc/Sh Sw/To guardian I’ve found that my success in 1vX fights is completely dependent on what classes I’m faced with and what roles they’ve spec’d themselves for. Dropping 3 people in one fight isn’t terribly uncommon for me when they aren’t working together or aren’t built to handle a bulkier class. On the other hand, I can wind up fighting a single ranger for 5 minutes straight or get dropped in a matter of seconds if I get stun-locked in a fight with more than one person, due to my survival being completely dependent on skill use.

So yeah… In pubs it’s quite possible, but in games that are getting increasingly competitive I agree that 1v2 isn’t really possible.

in PvP

Posted by: Animosity.5231

Animosity.5231

I don’t want gear carrying me through 1v2s, 1v1s, or anything else, really. I do want my skill to matter more, though. Currently in GW2 1v2 is very much possible, and I’ve “won” 1v3s, downing all 3 enemies. But downed state messes it up one way or another. Either you ignore a downed guy and he revives, or they do enough damage with downed state to bring you down at which point you can’t win. Or the ignored guy just spams rocks and whatever CC to swing it in his teammate’s favor. It’s especially frustrating when an enemy with no CC suddenly has one on a relatively short CD because of downed state.

in PvP

Posted by: Geff.1930

Geff.1930

Yeah, if the people you are fighting arekitten who can’t CC or dodge and miss all their cooldowns and keyboard turn and click their hotbar then obviously you can win 2v1 or even 5v1, but the OP mentioned explicitly: if they are not half as skilled as you are.

in PvP

Posted by: Animosity.5231

Animosity.5231

Isn’t skill what’s supposed to matter here? My point is even if they are less than half as skilled as you, you still can’t win 2v1 because of downed state.