Solo Q MM+TZ = Not a lottery after all?

in PvP

Posted by: OMGimAnoobLOLOL.4730

OMGimAnoobLOLOL.4730

If anybody out there is looking to increase their rating and decrease the feeling of lottery, here’s some insight to help you reduce those potential feelings or shed some light from a different perspective than is commonly around.

Having an odd work schedule has allowed me to enjoy the pros (but mostly cons) of PvPing in multiple time zones. Focusing on certain TZs has revealed a few things to help debunk the RNG/Luck/gambling aspect of PvP. (to a minor degree)

When focusing on EU TZ, elo climbing was a thing. Allies were able to hold their own weight, reliably getting the same players at times, there was a degree of consistency. Even with the existence of going on that randomly unlucky 10 game losing streak with the Bronze5 League of Legends drop outs, overall win rate is definitely over 50% and steadily climbing up. (as confirmed by games played/games won)

Now enter OCX TZ with the 1600 rating from EU climbing. You wait 5+minutes for a game, get into it and consistently have the allies that go mid and die instantly. This isn’t the “allies are noobs rant.” This is consistently just flat out just instantly dead people constantly. The enemy team is usually consistently not instantly dead while yours is. Run in first and tank the entire enemy team? One enemy breaks off and your team’s ranger/thief/guardian is dead. After a 15 game losing streak filled with lovely events like…….

-Naked players. Yep, no armor+berserker stats/ect. Literally worse than AFKers.
-Whisper harassed for hours because you Shadowstep stomped a Guardian that your ally had “dibs” on (because they got knocked back by the 2)
-Whisper harassed for running variant builds that perform well in solo/duo queues rather than tournament meta builds, based around coordinated team play.
-Allies just die on engagement. Win a point? Thief goes far immediately… sure fair enough, sees an enemy, attacks them and dies instantly. I’ve literally gotten to the point where sometimes I’ll just say “Hey guys, if you don’t die immediately at the mid fight, then I’ll be happy.” and it just still doesn’t happen. Or I’ll say “Alright, they have a Necro and an Ele, please go for the Necro instead of the Ele.” Ele gets targeted and people die in 2 seconds. I can’t tell if this is foresight, self-fulfilling prophecy or just being trolled.

Regardless of TZ, I notice that if the actual queue wait is ~2:30-3:00 or higher, the MM tends to greatly increase the chances of a terribly dispersed team. With a lower pop density of OCX/SEA times compared to EU/NA times, this means the team disparities will have a higher occurrence.

The MM appears to match with highs+lows vs middles, rather than lows+med+highs vs low+med+highs, this may be the most cognitively biased observation though. If true, the higher rated players ARE expected to carry these players. (With more even matchups being actual RNG….)

In the end, TZ disparity results are too consistent to be an RNG lottery. Maybe it’s the population/rating disparity and the MM is overcompensating the rating disparities in relation to the enemies. Due to the population density, I have to PvP on EU TZ to be able to get rating so I can just lose almost every game in OCX. Comparing OCX/SEA TZ to a lottery, I feel more like a babysitter than a gambler. On the days off I get to PvP during NA TZ, it feels a lot like EU TZ as far as results go.

in PvP

Posted by: bluri.2653

bluri.2653

“Regardless of TZ, I notice that if the actual queue wait is ~2:30-3:00 or higher”

What do you say about 8min q pops? You think they are healthy for your mental stability?

Sindrener – Rank55 Dragons/Orange Logo/Team Aggression
http://www.twitch.tv/sindrenerr

in PvP

Posted by: OMGimAnoobLOLOL.4730

OMGimAnoobLOLOL.4730

I do other things while in queue, I don’t get impatient and/or irritated by long queues.

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

“Regardless of TZ, I notice that if the actual queue wait is ~2:30-3:00 or higher”

What do you say about 8min q pops? You think they are healthy for your mental stability?

Bro I used to do 45min-1 hour waits for team ranked matches back in SW:TOR.

I quit swtor 2 years ago and I still can’t get over how fast the queues are in this game.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: bluri.2653

bluri.2653

Bro I used to do 45min-1 hour waits for team ranked matches back in SW:TOR.

I quit swtor 2 years ago and I still can’t get over how fast the queues are in this game.

I meant more the quality drops after 2-3min he said, I wonder how bad it is after 8 mins. I’ve already experienced over 1h+ queues in S1-S4. And 1h queues are just dumb in any way

Sindrener – Rank55 Dragons/Orange Logo/Team Aggression
http://www.twitch.tv/sindrenerr

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Yeah don’t play OCX. I learned my lesson the hard way last season with up to 12 min queues in ranked. It sucks cuz that’s like my prime time lol

I find SEA to be somewhat ok, there’s quite a few top 250 NA players that play during SEA whereas OCX is just r i p

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN