SoloQ matchmaking with "new pvp players"

in PvP

Posted by: cephiroth.6182

cephiroth.6182

Pretty pretty please with sugar icing take experience into account for soloQ matchmaking, willya? ty.

(edited by cephiroth.6182)

in PvP

Posted by: Ant.3415

Ant.3415

How about just get rid of soloQ since there is no point compared to teamQ?

in PvP

Posted by: OmegaPrime.4056

OmegaPrime.4056

Its more then just matching based on rank it should also take into account the classes that are waiting for a team. You can’t put 4 mesmers and a ranger on on a team and the other team gets 3 thieves and and 2 elementalists this is just a not a fare match up. Why even call it structured pvp or even a tournament if your not going to take these things into account. Now that reward tracks have been introduced there is more then enough people doing solo queue to make balanced matches, especialy if there is multiples of a single class that are of the same rank range, SPLIT THEM UP FOR GOD SAKE!!!!!!!!!! I also think that rank ranges like 0-9, 10-19, 20-39, 40-69, 70-80 for solo queue makes more sense then the random chance of getting stuck with inexperienced players while the other team is stacked, I mean how can you call that a tournament?? Tournaments are suppose to be competitive not a steam roll!!!!

in PvP

cephiroth.6182

How about just get rid of soloQ since there is no point compared to teamQ?

SoloQ is imho still needed. Hotjoin is pointless as a competitive mode with autobalance and the possiblity to jump in and out whenever you want (nobody ever doubted that, just analysing the available options for players), while teamQ requires you to have a PvP friendlist.
Taking rank / tournament matches played into account would be a great improvement. Adding classes / build would be even better, but also remove some variety.

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

define: experience

Seriously though, experience is not really that relevant. Skill is a product of experience, and that’s already modeled with MMR.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

cephiroth.6182

Seriously though, experience is not really that relevant. Skill is a product of experience, and that’s already modeled with MMR.

Not really, as mmr can’t measure new players skill. You would compensate that by taking another factor in.

As for the definition of experience: You can’t measure it exactly. There sure are players more experienced (and skilled) than others who play for much longer. But on average new players are less experienced than long time players. So the total number of tournament matches played may be a good indicator.

(edited by cephiroth.6182)

in PvP

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

I don’t mind new players, I respect they need to learn somewhere.

That being said, I hate how a person playing SPvP for the first time can join a tournament.
I’m sick of having to teach people what to do DURING a tournament game. I’m also tired of people zerging uncontested points for score.

Nothing more annoying when 3 people capture home point at beginning of game.

in PvP

Posted by: EnRohbi.2187

EnRohbi.2187

The matchmaking system is kittened, I don’t know how Anet are satisfied with this.

Nothing makes a person want to play pvp less than being forced to play with complete idiots all day.

Dragonbrand

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

No.

There are major reasons why the matchmaking is horrible atm:

1] The system currently prioritizes a short queue time over a good matchup. You will get games with evenly matched people if and only if they are all in the queue at the same time. If there isnt anyone available…the system will pick the next best thing.

So if you check opponents and teammates after a match youll see absurd differences in leaderboard ranking and total games played. Ive seen pvp rank 2’s vs top 3 on the leaderboard + 10k games played players.

2] The system pushes the MMR of new players up really fast during their first 20ish games. Getting 2 lucky wins in a row can mean youre top 20 in europe all of a sudden as new player. Its that absurd.

in PvP

Posted by: Blackjack.5621

Blackjack.5621

solo q is not more than hotjoin lol, i get people with the worst builds possible and lineups that don´t make sense at all. It is only the fact that there is a leaderboard which makes people think this has anything to do with skill. Ofc better players will make it higher since it´s more likely they will carry their team to win, butit is still stupid in terms of competition.

I Zapdos I
WTS Boston winner
Esl profile: http://play.eslgaming.com/player/7930634/

in PvP

Sarrs.4831

1] The system currently prioritizes a short queue time over a good matchup. You will get games with evenly matched people if and only if they are all in the queue at the same time. If there isnt anyone available…the system will pick the next best thing.

Personally, I have no problem with this. SoloQ is YoloQ. It shouldn’t be a place for absolute best matchups; it should be a place for reasonably quick games with some, but not all matchmaking.

TeamQ should be a perfect competitive environment.

2] The system pushes the MMR of new players up really fast during their first 20ish games. Getting 2 lucky wins in a row can mean youre top 20 in europe all of a sudden as new player. Its that absurd.

There are two problems here; new players, and lucky wins.

Yeah, new players don’t seem to have any inertia in the matchmaking system, and that’s one of its weaknesses. An explicit, 5-10 game calibration period might be nice.

Lucky wins; to fix this problem, you’d need to have a system that tracks individual contribution to a game to measure how much MMR should be raised or lowered. This is a potentially very expensive system- I won’t say whether it’s a good or bad idea, but it would need a lot of resources invested in it to become good.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

Locuz.2651

An explicit, 5-10 game calibration period might be nice.

You really think that new players can go from 0 to hero in 5-10 games? With the exception of smurf accounts its impossible.

Youll get games like the one i experienced yesterday:

Game that starts as 5v4 which soon turns in to a 5v3. Halfway through the game i fight 2 guys on mid and get help from a teammate trebbing. After killing both i look up and see how we lost all other bases and 3 of my teammates where dead.

So this warrior named Amsterdam solod 3 teammates…and it didnt happen just once. It happened multiple times untill i started hunting the warrior down. One of those guys named Jull ended up spam whispering the warrior after the match asking for tips etc. Fair matchup right?

(edited by Locuz.2651)

in PvP

Posted by: Todd.6573

Todd.6573

It isnt hard to make friends to team up with. Especially if you’re half as good as you think.

But yes, they could and prolly should add a “ranked” solo queue for the more dedicated players.

Great thoughts speak only to the thoughtful mind, but great actions speak to all mankind.
- Theodore Roosevelt

in PvP

Sarrs.4831

An explicit, 5-10 game calibration period might be nice.

You really think that new players can go from 0 to hero in 5-10 games? With the exception of smurf accounts its impossible.

That’s not what calibration means.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

Locuz.2651

That’s not what calibration means.

You mean thats not what you meant with calibration. From what i can see your statement meant calibrating with intervals of 5-10 games so the MMR fits that specific player.

What we need is a league like system. similar to what we have in wvw or what Starcraft players have.

(edited by Locuz.2651)

in PvP

Posted by: Brujeria.7536

Brujeria.7536

Simply add a barrier like: 100 SoloQ or TeamQ games played. People under 100 games get matched with people under 100 games played as long as its possible. This might not fix the entire problem, but everybody should have a bit of experience after 100 ranked games.

But yeah, in the long run a league like system might be best.