Some people shouldn't be allowed in ranked.

in PvP

Posted by: glenndevis.8327

glenndevis.8327

Played 5 games so far today.
Won 1
Lost 4
And i can only call one of the losses a proper loss because of the enemy team being better.

The other 3 games were messed up by
-Afkers/DC
-Trolls or clueless people who have no idea how pvp works at all.
-Flamers who just complain and end up standing around to make us lose on purpose.

The punishment for this should be much harder.
Would be nice to get some feedback if the players we report get punished too.

in PvP

Posted by: Tiefsee.3647

Tiefsee.3647

Don’t worry, if you aren’t placed in bronce, you won’t have to deal with them – ofcourse you should win most placement games if you want to be placed outside of bronce

in PvP

Posted by: Rolisteel.1375

Rolisteel.1375

We will see as i will play core nec in bronze very soon full solo q.

in PvP

glenndevis.8327

I got placed in low silver, managed to climb to silver 2. But still getting this an awful lot of times. To the point where i’m almost dropping back to silver 1.

Climbing is a pain if your teammates don’t have a clue about how pvp works, don’t know how to rotate or don’t have any map awareness at all.

Having some sort of tutorial explaining these mechanics would be nice.
Also too many people not really caring about winning, just coz they want the rewards.

in PvP

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

illusory suitability or.. If you are placed too low then obviously you will be better than everyone you play against and you will climb fast by tipping the balance in a fight.
If not then you may be where you should be. The first sample set of 10 games to calculate your position is fat too small a sample set, time tells. As for the the luck argument , it is statistically irrelevant and anecdotal at best.

The root problem ofc is the human element, even if you had 5 people with the same accurate score, there is no way to measure how a player plays on a given day, so you need a large sample set over time to settle down your rating. Relax enjoy the fights and don’t worry about your rank and things will be fun.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

in PvP

glenndevis.8327

illusory suitability or.. If you are placed too low then obviously you will be better than everyone you play against and you will climb fast by tipping the balance in a fight.
If not then you may be where you should be. The first sample set of 10 games to calculate your position is fat too small a sample set, time tells. As for the the luck argument , it is statistically irrelevant and anecdotal at best.

The root problem ofc is the human element, even if you had 5 people with the same accurate score, there is no way to measure how a player plays on a given day, so you need a large sample set over time to settle down your rating. Relax enjoy the fights and don’t worry about your rank and things will be fun.

Except that my point isn’t about my placement or about luck or about matchmaking in general. It’s about the amount of games this happens in (in general, not only me.) I haven’t had this many trolls, afkers or clueless people in ranked in gw2 has i’ve had in any other game i’ve played with competitive PvP.

If 3 out of 5 games are ruined by either of the type of people i mentioned before then there’s something wrong with how the game works or how the game teaches people.
(I assume this becomes less of an issue at higher ranks. Still makes it very frustrating to get out of these lower tiers though.)

I think some solutions could be:
-Better tutorial of some of the mechanics in PvP.
-Heavier punishment for people who go afk, dc or people who flame & intentionally manipulate games. I think Anet should be a bit more harsh on some of the reports people do in PvP.

It would also be nice to be able to see the rating of your allies & enemies in a PvP match.

I do not mind losing at all against people who are just better than me. I wouldn’t mind staying silver if that’s the case. If anything it would make me want to get better and i’ll enjoy it.

But in games with trolls, afkers, ragers & clueless people it just makes it frustrating more than anything.

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Why are you doing ranked on Christmas eve?

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

Rank 50 to play ranked during a season. That’s about 400 games if not spamming boosters so would ensure quality players.

in PvP

Posted by: Shadowstep.6049

Shadowstep.6049

Don’t worry, if you aren’t placed in bronce, you won’t have to deal with them – ofcourse you should win most placement games if you want to be placed outside of bronce

You would be surprised. I had people in plat throwing games like mad. We have 2 points, they run to enemy spawn and wipe. Or just let enemy cap point literary next to them.

People ragequit, people afk there as well. I had 1v5 games few times.

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

You would be surprised. I had people in plat throwing games like mad. We have 2 points, they run to enemy spawn and wipe. Or just let enemy cap point literary next to them.

I suspect a great many are trolling or taking gold to loose on purpose. I think ANet needs to increase the MMR volatility a bit, and add more divisions to further divide the population.

Or simply add 30s to the matchmakers algorithm to find more closely matched people. Decrease the range of players you can be matched against.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

glenndevis.8327

I suspect a great many are trolling or taking gold to loose on purpose. I think ANet needs to increase the MMR volatility a bit, and add more divisions to further divide the population.

Or simply add 30s to the matchmakers algorithm to find more closely matched people. Decrease the range of players you can be matched against.

This.
I wouldn’t mind having to wait longer if the matches would be more balanced.

in PvP

Posted by: tenklo.6104

tenklo.6104

this what happens when spvp is not balanced….. cc and power creap > sustain

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I think people are tanking matches in placement, hoping to win streak. It’s a logical strategy if leader board placement is only win ratio.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

I think people are tanking matches in placement, hoping to win streak. It’s a logical strategy if leader board placement is only win ratio.

which goes to show placement matches were a STUPID idea

in PvP

Posted by: xeonage.1253

xeonage.1253

A poem of PVEer:
I go there just for Ascended armor. You win or lose I don’t care.
But one thing I can sure. Time is money no more!
Make you lose more = Make me get Ascended armor faster.

(edited by xeonage.1253)

in PvP

xeonage.1253

Their Game Designer is Great. I am interesting about their experience.
How can make a reward easy to get like this. Let PVEer break all PVP player and who want to play PVP. Make PVPer hate PVEer. Anet have done their great job.

(edited by xeonage.1253)

in PvP

xeonage.1253

-_- ……. What the game happen?

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

That does not work at all. Tanking placement means you are stuck in a massive mmr hole that will be difficult to climb out of.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

This is nearly pointless for me now, im 7-0 today and dropped so far down I probably wont beable to recover this, every match up ive had, ive had someone either AFK or just run around with there buddy, I cant get a decent match up at all, and my rating is getting slaughtered, the season is all but over before its begun, this is stupid.

It makes be beyond livid if I have 4 players of other team ganking me, and my team is sitting in the corner playing lets all sit on point and pray.

Its crap like this that makes people not want to play PvP at all, why bother if im trying to play a match that 4 others players on my team don’t give a crap about, where the hell is my incentive to play anymore, just so I can sit and get a streak of losses, where is the fun in that,

Rating needs to be tweaked so that it takes into fact your personal contribution to the game, that way the players who don’t care, or who afk, or who just feed the kills, get their rating slaughtered and drop down so low we don’t see them again, as it stands PvP is pointless and no fun, its only catering for those who want to AFK farm ascended crap.

EDIT 9-0 now, I cant handle these, have no clue players no more, gg anet, happy holidays, i guess its time to AFK my way to ascended gear (even though I don’t need it), as apparently getting a decent match up is out of the question, maybe next time those who have no interest in playing wont beable to ruin it for others.

(edited by Ok I Did It.2854)

in PvP

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

This is nearly pointless for me now, im 7-0 today and dropped so far down I probably wont beable to recover this, every match up ive had, ive had someone either AFK or just run around with there buddy, I cant get a decent match up at all, and my rating is getting slaughtered, the season is all but over before its begun, this is stupid.

It makes be beyond livid if I have 4 players of other team ganking me, and my team is sitting in the corner playing lets all sit on point and pray.

Its crap like this that makes people not want to play PvP at all, why bother if im trying to play a match that 4 others players on my team don’t give a crap about, where the hell is my incentive to play anymore, just so I can sit and get a streak of losses, where is the fun in that,

Rating needs to be tweaked so that it takes into fact your personal contribution to the game, that way the players who don’t care, or who afk, or who just feed the kills, get their rating slaughtered and drop down so low we don’t see them again, as it stands PvP is pointless and no fun, its only catering for those who want to AFK farm ascended crap.

EDIT 9-0 now, I cant handle these, have no clue players no more, gg anet, happy holidays, i guess its time to AFK my way to ascended gear (even though I don’t need it), as apparently getting a decent match up is out of the question, maybe next time those who have no interest in playing wont beable to ruin it for others.

While losing 2-3 games straight can be the fault of poor matchmaking, it takes some remarkable hubris to look at a 9-game losing streak and not take any ownership of the result.

If you’re losing that many games in a row, it may be important to consider if the problem is just your teammates.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

in PvP

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

which goes to show placemelnt matches were a STUPID idea

No, basically once a guy tanked his mmr, he will go way below and will need to climb back where he belong, there he will be paired against people of his level and get a 50/50 win rate ratio aprox, not going up, without going down again, ever again (so he lost his time).

Also, MMR as any skill rating system will consider not only if you win or lose, but against who you did and how much near to a apropiate prediction the system have of the match, thats the way you receive and lost rating.

Theres a lot of ignorance about the MMR system. For instance when people talk about bronce hell they forget a important detail: your opponents are as bad as your teamates.

That means a guy that actually is better than bronce or a particular skill rating has advantage, because his team has him, that its more skilled, but was paired as less. That means his win rate against people rated like him (his underated) will be more than 50%, the more skilled the bigger the chance to win.

The enemy team members will have the same probabilities to do the same mistakes that your teammates do, they will 3 man cap a point or whatever as much as your teammates, the difference its you will not, hence you will get more points to your teams, making the winning chance of it better.

If you are more skilled than your division, skill rate, etc; you are there because the system underate you, your presence dont compensate for anything, you are a wildcard not properly considered in the system and will go up.

If you not, self denial doesnt help.

Pd: Not my main language.

(edited by Lucius.2140)

in PvP

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

While losing 2-3 games straight can be the fault of poor matchmaking, it takes some remarkable hubris to look at a 9-game losing streak and not take any ownership of the result.

If you’re losing that many games in a row, it may be important to consider if the problem is just your teammates.

Actually its easy to lose 9+ in a row, its impossible to be in 2 places at once, in order for me to win I require my other team mates to beable to hold a point and god forbid kill the other team, sure I lose some I win some fights, but when im watching guards on my team die in 3 seconds, i have no chance.

Im putting it down today that it is the holiday and a lot of ppl are taking today off, hopefully tomorrow things will look up,

Ironically i was talking to someone in my guild who said, who cares about rating or winning, just afk to ascended armor, ( says it all really )

in PvP

glenndevis.8327

Theres a lot of ignorance about the MMR system. For instance when people talk about bronce hell they forget a important detail: your opponents are as bad as your teamates.

That means a guy that actually is better than bronce or a particular skill rating has advantage, because his team has him, that its more skilled, but was paired as less. That means his win rate against people rated like him (his underated) will be more than 50%, the more skilled the bigger the chance to win.

The enemy team members will have the same probabilities to do the same mistakes that your teammates do, they will 3 man cap a point or whatever as much as your teammates, the difference its you will not, hence you will get more points to your teams, making the winning chance of it better.

If you are more skilled than your division, skill rate, etc; you are there because the system underate you, your presence dont compensate for anything, you are a wildcard not properly considered in the system and will go up.

If you not, self denial doesnt help.

Pd: Not my main language.

Anet needs to be more tight with their matchmaking system. I’m silver right now and i’m sure there are games where i’m teamed up with golds and games where i’m teamed up with bronzies. (or people who are gold/silver because they got lucky with teammates and people who end up in bronze coz they are unlucky with teammates.)

Also in bronze (and probably silver too) there are a lot of people who shouldn’t even be attempting ranked yet because they don’t understand PvP properly and people who are just there because of the rewards.

Some people you can “carry” or at least guide them to do the right thing. But some people are beyond saving.

The diffirence in skill & understanding in the lower tiers is too big so they need a better system to rate people depending on their gameplay & make the matchmaking more tight.

in PvP

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

Anet needs to be more tight with their matchmaking system. I’m silver right now and i’m sure there are games where i’m teamed up with golds and games where i’m teamed up with bronzies. (or people who are gold/silver because they got lucky with teammates and people who end up in bronze coz they are unlucky with teammates.)

Ok, a bigger population its always an improvement, however about what you put in “()”, lets be honest, in a large number of matches (ej: 30+ at the same range of skill rating), lucky and unlucky will go away, the player would have played enogh matches to have both of them in a very similar size and of course a lot of matches where was no carry or significative carry.

Lucky and unlucky work in really small numbers, MMR works statistically, the more repetition the less those factors come in place, because they cancel each other. Lets understand it, the chances that a guy get 30 lost because its team its worst than the other, its nearly none, theres a chance it can happen, but its so small that probably theres nobody who got it considering the population pvp has.

About the some people shouldnt be in ranked, they will get dropped to the floor of bronce, the more matches, the more they will get sunked. They will drop their teamates, but you arent getting all the matches with them and even if 1/1000 get 15 matches with this player, he will finish in a skill rate where he will kill them always (not 50% or build vs build chance), that means that he will affect the odds of winning for each team he has and will end with a ratio of more than 50% chance.

Simply if you solo 3vguys, MMR wise, in a mean of all matches, your teamates will not lost a 4vs2, because the other 2 of the enemy team are as bad as them. That works only for luck, and if you see this, its luck or another player that will have a bigger than 50% win ratio and will leave bronce.

in PvP

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Actually its easy to lose 9+ in a row, its impossible to be in 2 places at once, in order for me to win I require my other team mates to be able to hold a point and god forbid kill the other team, sure I lose some I win some fights, but when im watching guards on my team die in 3 seconds, i have no chance.

I’ll give you two suggestions:

First, maybe it would be a good idea to adjust your build so that you’re more capable of “carrying” team fights, whether that’s in the support or damage spectrum. As a scrapper I don’t do a lot of damage, but intelligent use of Fumigate, Super Elixir, and Elixir Shell provides a ton of healing and condition removal for my team and helps keep them alive. It doesn’t have to be much to make a difference.

I’ll still lose games if I have bad teammates, but I have lost games for my team as well through a bad decision or poor mechanical performance, and that’s what my greater point was re: the nine game losing streak.

You cannot seriously think there was nothing you could have done differently to change the result of any one of those nine plus losses, and you’re being incredibly dishonest with yourself if you believe it’s “impossible” for you to do more for your team than you’re already doing; everyone has room for improvement, including you. Try not to forget that. Treat every death as a mistake and try to set goals for yourself with regard to offense and defense ticks. It’ll give you a measure-able goal to work toward and will better allow you to reflect on your own skill progression as a player.

Second, I suggest staggering your queue times to avoid repeated games with the same players. Taking breaks is healthy for both your body and your mind, but it also helps prevent you from being thrown into games with constantly the same people. If I lose two games in a row with a similar roster, I usually take a break for three to five minutes and re-enter the queue. And if I’m still losing games, (especially if it reaches three to four games in a row) I always make a point to take a step back and consider what I could be doing differently. Sometimes even something as simple as changing a utility skill or rune set can make a huge difference in my performance and give me what I need to combat the people I’m facing for a given day.

Don’t just mash your ranked arena queue button the moment you re-enter Heart of the Mists, running the same build, with and against the same players, and think something is magically going to change. That is the very definition of insanity.

Just position your progress based on yourself, and your own contributions. You can’t control your teammates, and in the long run you’ll just poison the well regarding PvP and what you ultimately get out of it. While your friend is in the wrong to AFK matches for ascended gear, there’s a more appropriate salient point to consider: this season is particularly rewarding, and I have legendaries I want to make. Nevermore and Astralaria won’t pay for themselves, and if I can make some of the gold through PvP, I’ll spam games regardless.

Just take each match as a learning experience, and try not to worry so much about your rating with like six weeks left to play in the season.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

in PvP

Posted by: Dafortminor.4802

Dafortminor.4802

Today I went from Bronze 3 to Bronze 1 due to AFK and trolls honestly right now I just want the gear and get out, I honestly do not even feel like continuing to PvP. Why can I not get ranked on individual assessment, but a group dropping me down with them.

in PvP

Posted by: July.5361

July.5361

This stuff with being good and climbing faster is bullkitten. Unless if you are REALLY good and can carry out a lot of noobs. Every game is either 3-4 clueless people in my team and we get steamrolled or the noobs are in the other team and we wreck them. How the hell can one climb up? I made it to Silver, then got dragged back to bronze. It reminds of Ruby where I was constantly stuck with the same bullkitten.

PvP is not rewarding nor even fun, it’s aggravating.

in PvP

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

Just had a game where a druid (my team) was fighting an ele (menders) 1v1 the whole game in the middle node of foefire that is already capped in the ele’s favor and blaming me (Rev) for not killing everything when the enemy comp had sustaining builds and condies.

You have these kind of people playing pvp which is not only absurd at this point but sad especially when those people do not know what focus target is, or when to heal people because they generally do not care. I agree that some people shouldn’t be playing ranked at all but then they did buy the game so there is nothing we can do.

Tour

in PvP

Posted by: MissCee.1295

MissCee.1295

“Git gud & carry” is a cop out used by those who have never truly had to carry, and I for one am sick to death of hearing it.

Honestly I don’t know how good or bad I am? Maybe I truly belong in Bronze.

Before some condescending know-it-all attempts to explain MMR to me. I am perfectly aware of how mmr works, that it is dependent on the ratings of team you lose/win against compared to your own.

What I fail to understand is how it can be considered a fair system when your individual rating is based on the success or failure of four other people? Especially when you have no control over who those people.

I may be good enough to be competitive in Gold. I may even be good enough to be competitive at Platinum. One thing I know for certain, I am nowhere near good enough to carry four potatoes in Bronze.

My toons: Loki Thunderstruck, Loki Livewire,Loki Spellbound, Loki Meanstreak

Find pvp players: https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

“Git gud & carry” is a cop out used by those who have never truly had to carry, and I for one am sick to death of hearing it.

Honestly I don’t know how good or bad I am? Maybe I truly belong in Bronze.

Before some condescending know-it-all attempts to explain MMR to me. I am perfectly aware of how mmr works, that it is dependent on the ratings of team you lose/win against compared to your own.

What I fail to understand is how it can be considered a fair system when your individual rating is based on the success or failure of four other people? Especially when you have no control over who those people.

I may be good enough to be competitive in Gold. I may even be good enough to be competitive at Platinum. One thing I know for certain, I am nowhere near good enough to carry four potatoes in Bronze.

No you don’t. If you have experience; say a few months or a year, understand basic PvP fundamentals, you’re fine.

Bronze, in theory, should be for beginners only. Veterans shouldn’t even exist there. Veterans belong in intermediate divisions (gold,plat). If you have veterans in the lower divisions they will never move up because they don’t have the skill level on their respective teams to propel them. Thanks to the matchmaking, they’ll be at a perpetual stalemate. The only exception really is: Lady RNG

in PvP

Posted by: Pakkazull.6894

Pakkazull.6894

Except leaderboards aren’t based on win ratio. Please stop spreading misinformation.