Spvp & E-Sports

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

Soooo can Arenanet sponsor their own tournament with money cash prices? I understand that with the flashy skills, they were never going to last. How about, give the option to take out the special effects from skills?? Make Spvp simply about raw competition, no flashy stuff. We can already make other players look blue/red with no diff armor combos….soooo do the same for skills, just make them plain.

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: susana.7814

susana.7814

just let esports die like the rest of us want them to

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Adry.7512

just let esports die like the rest of us want them to

Why?

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

susana.7814

Cuz the game being balanced around them is killing it. Only a fraction of skills that need to be split in pvp/pve actually are

(edited by susana.7814)

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Adry.7512

Cuz the game being balanced around them is killing it. Only a fraction of skills that need to be split in pvp/pvp actually are

So you’re saying that its too much work on the balancing? I didnt understand your point.

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Spvp had it’s glory moments and the best the game could pull was 5k twitch viewers with massive promotions ingame and out side of game.

Simple fact of the situtaion as of right now is:

- MMOs make bad competative games. Even the goliath WoW pulls insignificant pvp numbers compared to the total playerbase

- the current split of active players between pvp, wvw and pve are very shifted towards pve. Even with basically free ascended gear last season this barely went up, and it only did because of loot and nto the actual game mode.

- the last time spvp was put at the center of developement and focus the pve side of the game suffered and with it the game overall

Now that being said, I personally would love to see the spvp crowd get some more fluff as long as it does not distract from the required pve attention.

On the same note, I think arenanet would be way better served to show wvw a lot more attention since that is a niche they could carve out more for this game (unlike competing in the competative games segment). The wvw crowd has been the most neglected out of all the 3 segments.

Those are my observations/opinions wich clearly are subjective.

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I feel like I’m missing something here. Has Anet said they’re not going to do more tournaments or something? I thought they had one every few months.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

I feel like I’m missing something here. Has Anet said they’re not going to do more tournaments or something? I thought they had one every few months.

ESL closed the GW2 Tournaments that they were running.

http://www.mmorpg.com/guild-wars-2/news/esl-closes-guild-wars-pro-league-division-1000043818

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

The balance isn’t unplayably bad like season 1, 2 mes, 2 guards, 1 rev kthxbye. it is very restrictive though

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

Im saying anet’s balance team is a joke and they ONLY balance around pvp instead of splitting skills between game modes like always needed to happen. I don’t know how to be more clear that balancing based on pvp has been killing the game for some time now.

Maybe now that we are moving away from esports, they will finally focus on fixing problems

Wow thank you, i never even thought about it like that, silly my kept thinking losing the pro players that know the ins and outs of each class, map, rotation, strategy etc would hurt balance but i see the truth now let the casuals who barely know the difference between a condition and a boon determine balance!

You sir, missed the point by a mile.

How does balancing around a pro-player in a spvp enviroment in any way shape or form benefit the pve balance?

This isn’t about balancing around spvp for spvp but the fact that spvp balance spills over into pve balance and was a major negative factor until split skills were finally introduced.

I didn’t miss the point i understand that alot of people assume not having Pro players allows the devs to focus more on what everyone else deems to be important, So some people assume that because we no longer have pro players they will focus on splitting skills between game modes…. Now my point is they could have done that at anytime… so why is it people seem to think the pro players quitting will facilitate this change? If anything i believe it is less likely…. The devs no longer have a stable of experienced players to gather information from instead they must rely on more casual players.

the problem there is casuals usually dont figure things out on the same level as the “Pro” players.

more more it just seems like all the casuals who have been getting beat down by the “pro” players are just salty and are coming out of the woodwork to rejoice that the big bad evil meanies that were the pro players are leaving or already gone!

But by all means everyone here just keep coming up with reasons why balance should be decided by the casual who rolls his face on the keyboard on a theif dies to a DH and then expresses his displeasure in a high pitched voice on the forums

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

Annnnd nex is still missing the point entirely. This isn’t about pro players at all. It’s about the focus of Anet’s balancing team only being on one game mode. The game can still have it’s pro players, but pvp should never have set the standard for every other game mode.

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: XxsdgxX.8109

XxsdgxX.8109

Annnnd nex is still missing the point entirely. This isn’t about pro players at all. It’s about the focus of Anet’s balancing team only being on one game mode. The game can still have it’s pro players, but pvp should never have set the standard for every other game mode.

Stella Truth Seeker

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

NeXeD.3042

its been split for some time. So i fail to see how that matters… are you on the PvP forums to complain about PvE balance? Because if you are not then you are saying you dont like the PvP balance but also claim they balance the rest of the game with PvP … so i fail to see how balancing the game for PvE would help PvP balance…..

Just admit it nothing good comes from the pro players quitting or ESL ending. You can keep trying to spin it this way and that but losing a competitive player base is not a good thing. The TONS OF MONIES that was spent on ESL that is no longer being spent on ESL will not go fix some other problem … if anything now ANET is going to spend more money to do a kittentier job now that they dont have stable competitive experienced players that are performing at a high level to base their balance decisions on anymore.

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

It’s been years and A-net despite their best efforts cannot properly balance around 5v5, or for their version of conquest. Even if they could, it looks god awful to watch for spectators, and even if you turn skill effects all the way down while not making it look like people just jumping around and waving their arms, it’s still not going to be interesting for spectators. Which is the basis an E-sport lives or dies on. (Probably would work better if we had MORE skill animations and effects that took longer to cast, but since the game has been at a faster pace since launch = rip)

A-net will have to pull it’s weight for the next expansion, otherwise after the initial influx of players, PvP will be virtually dead outside of try hards, and people who like to kill each other in an unbalanced setting. Unless given a big enough carrot to incentivize people to play it, which will only hold the population for so long, and still will never gain momentum for e-sports if people don’t like watching it.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Cyninja.2954

its been split for some time. So i fail to see how that matters… are you on the PvP forums to complain about PvE balance? Because if you are not then you are saying you dont like the PvP balance but also claim they balance the rest of the game with PvP … so i fail to see how balancing the game for PvE would help PvP balance…..

Just admit it nothing good comes from the pro players quitting or ESL ending. You can keep trying to spin it this way and that but losing a competitive player base is not a good thing. The TONS OF MONIES that was spent on ESL that is no longer being spent on ESL will not go fix some other problem … if anything now ANET is going to spend more money to do a kittentier job now that they dont have stable competitive experienced players that are performing at a high level to base their balance decisions on anymore.

If the choice has to boil down to chosing between the competative player base and the player versus enviroment playerbase as far as money and revenue is concerned, you really do not want to be barking up that tree. Spvp would be kicked out of this game yesterday.

Yes you have been missing the point. No one is saying that the spvp balance should be kicked out the window, but the fact remains that during the periods of time where balance focus was on spvp with changes spilling over into pve, the game as a whole suffered. As far as balance is concerned, they should be aiming at hardcore pve players with some slight ease of use adjustment for all classes.

The majority of the playerbase is pve focused. That’s not wishful thinking, it’s a plain fact. With arenanet focusing on providing a better and more consistent casual pve experience they managed to improve on the hardcore experience that HoT was and bring some balance to classes as far as endgame pve content goes.

When the major reason for the decline in spvp activity is the reduction of rewards, it should really make you reevaluate how improtant that game mode is to the game as a whole.

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Frozen.1347

Frozen.1347

Which PvP related changes are you talking about that hurt PvE so much?

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

NeXeD.3042

If the choice has to boil down to chosing between the competative player base and the player versus enviroment playerbase as far as money and revenue is concerned, you really do not want to be barking up that tree. Spvp would be kicked out of this game yesterday.

Yes you have been missing the point. No one is saying that the spvp balance should be kicked out the window, but the fact remains that during the periods of time where balance focus was on spvp with changes spilling over into pve, the game as a whole suffered. As far as balance is concerned, they should be aiming at hardcore pve players with some slight ease of use adjustment for all classes.

The majority of the playerbase is pve focused. That’s not wishful thinking, it’s a plain fact. With arenanet focusing on providing a better and more consistent casual pve experience they managed to improve on the hardcore experience that HoT was and bring some balance to classes as far as endgame pve content goes.

When the major reason for the decline in spvp activity is the reduction of rewards, it should really make you reevaluate how improtant that game mode is to the game as a whole.

Ok so again… so essentially what we have here is people complaining about pve Balance on the PvP forums is that correct?

I’m not missing your point… I understand what is being said…. it’s just not a real point IMO.

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Cyninja.2954

Ok so again… so essentially what we have here is people complaining about pve Balance on the PvP forums is that correct?

I’m not missing your point… I understand what is being said…. it’s just not a real point IMO.

Effectively confusion created by a mod moving the thread from general to the pvp forum without making a small note.

Yes, there is no reason to disscuss pve balance in the pvp forum.

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Why do people say this game is based around PvP?

Literally the last patched showed its not.

WvW has been complaining about ghost thief since the release of HOT. They killed it after a ghost thief solo killed a Raid Boss.

Did anyone else watched The ESL games heading into HOT and then HOT S1.

4 d/d eles and 1 thief followed by 3 mesmer 2 revs tournament teams. And the only reason they changed mesmers was because they were too easily boon sharing in raids.

Why!!!!!!!!??????

Boon sharing mesmer got killed because of WvW. It’s still 100% quickness chrono in raids so nothing has changed really for PvE apart from taking 2 chrono instead of 1.

The ghost thief still works to solo Sloth, just you can no longer use the traps so only rely on caltrops which makes it take 2x longer. However it is no longer stupidly broken in WvW.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

WvW has been complaining about ghost thief since the release of HOT. They killed it after a ghost thief solo killed a Raid Boss.

Did anyone else watched The ESL games heading into HOT and then HOT S1.

4 d/d eles and 1 thief followed by 3 mesmer 2 revs tournament teams. And the only reason they changed mesmers was because they were too easily boon sharing in raids.

Why!!!!!!!!??????

Boon sharing mesmer got killed because of WvW. It’s still 100% quickness chrono in raids so nothing has changed really for PvE apart from taking 2 chrono instead of 1.

The ghost thief still works to solo Sloth, just you can no longer use the traps so only rely on caltrops which makes it take 2x longer. However it is no longer stupidly broken in WvW.

Ohhh ok

The guild i raided with (months ago, havent raided since before christmas) started running mirror comps due to the changes to mesmer.

It was 2 mesmers, 2 rangers, 2 warriors, 4 eles. So as someone who used rev and necro in raids i kind was left behind and i havent bothered to check if there is a new meta.

The thief trap thing i took the word of my friend. He said it was a great idea and it was semi useful or at least fun in PvP. Broken in WvW and he would never attempt a 2 1/2 raid for 1 boss. But he said they killed it for PvP and WvW so im surprised to hear its useful still in raids.

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Nah it’s not useful at all, just something that still works (even if it takes 5 hours). I just figured if they wanted to prevent abuse of a raid boss they’d change the instance itself (revealed when fight starts) rather than change the thief build and not preventing the cheese.

Just felt more of a WvW fix to me than a raid one that’s all but opinions can vary I guess.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

susana.7814

Effectively confusion created by a mod moving the thread from general to the pvp forum without making a small note.

Yes, there is no reason to disscuss pve balance in the pvp forum.

only some skills are split and it’s not even close to where it needs to be, nice try. Pve talk happens here because everyone with half a brain knows that’s how this game was balanced.

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

Spvp had it’s glory moments and the best the game could pull was 5k twitch viewers with massive promotions ingame and out side of game.

This 5k viewers is not success by any standard.

- MMOs make bad competative games. Even the goliath WoW pulls insignificant pvp numbers compared to the total playerbase

This is false, WoW went as far as to charge to participate on its tournaments.

- the current split of active players between pvp, wvw and pve are very shifted towards pve.

This is irrelevant

- the last time spvp was put at the center of developement and focus the pve side of the game suffered and with it the game overall

This never happened, pvp was never the focus of development.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Cyninja.2954

This 5k viewers is not success by any standard.

Notice the sarcasm I used.

Yes and when you have a playerbase of 12 million, having 200-300k interested in entering your tournament will do something like that. Doesn’t change that going by numbers of viewers it’s tiny.

- the current split of active players between pvp, wvw and pve are very shifted towards pve.

This is irrelevant

Not if you are a business which has limited ressources and has to split ressources in a way to accomodate the most amount of players. You saying something is irrelevant to you, does not make it so nor does it change economic reality.

Sure it was, shortly before HoT was released and the new trait lines came out. The entire focus was on making spvp work. Arenanet even came out saying that their marketing department was in favor of catoring to the pvp crowd to get more players to play.

Took about 3-6 months, near 0 pvp activity and a lot of pve moaning for them to implement split skills and rework class balance around the raids they designed.

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Apolo.5942

Yes and when you have a playerbase of 12 million, having 200-300k interested in entering your tournament will do something like that. Doesn’t change that going by numbers of viewers it’s tiny.

I agree, thou that does not deny the fact that, if done right, pvp can be profitable.

This is irrelevant

Not if you are a business which has limited ressources and has to split ressources in a way to accomodate the most amount of players. You saying something is irrelevant to you, does not make it so nor does it change economic reality.

I am a software developer my self. The resources required to overhaul the pvp system are irrelevant to a company the size of Anet. We are talking 2 programmers tops. 1 for the gear system, one for the environment/maps. Hell 1 person alone can pull it off.

Sure it was, shortly before HoT was released and the new trait lines came out. The entire focus was on making spvp work. Arenanet even came out saying that their marketing department was in favor of catoring to the pvp crowd to get more players to play.

Took about 3-6 months, near 0 pvp activity and a lot of pve moaning for them to implement split skills and rework class balance around the raids they designed.

That is not pvp focused development. The trait line change was due to the incoming op specs and the changes to among other things conditions. The subsequent tweaking was done to correct development mistakes. That in the software industry is “post deployment support” it has nothing to do with developing pvp, any more than Automotive Recalls have anything to do with adding new features to vehicles with faulty components.

(edited by Apolo.5942)

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Cyninja.2954

This is irrelevant

I am a software developer my self. The resources required to overhaul the pvp system are irrelevant to a company the size of Anet. We are talking 2 programmers tops. 1 for the gear system, one for the environment/maps. Hell 1 person alone can pull it off.

I don’t know what kind of hobby software developer you are, but to even suggest this… simply No.

What you are talking about is the pure coding side (which also would be vastly more complex in a system as big as GW2 but let’s keep that aside). The pure balance aspects, bug testing, actual concept stage, etc. is vastly more complex and would take way more staff. We are not talking some hobby priject with 1-2k lines of code.

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Apolo.5942

This is irrelevant

I don’t know what kind of hobby software developer you are, but to even suggest this… simply No.

What you are talking about is the pure coding side (which also would be vastly more complex in a system as big as GW2 but let’s keep that aside). The pure balance aspects, bug testing, actual concept stage, etc. is vastly more complex and would take way more staff. We are not talking some hobby priject with 1-2k lines of code.

You have no idea what you are talking about. PvP needs 2 kinds of overhaul.
1- Overall slow down of fights. Through a better gear system.
2- Different Modes.

2- Involves new maps, map creation tools are among the first things that are developed along with the game engine, its how their artists actually use it. So the cost of this overhaul is pretty much on the game mode testing. Given they can simply push the maps as unranked games for player testing and feed back, the cost of this “overhaul” is pretty negligible.

1- Involves creating a new UI and new Items, not modifying the underlying systems. And as a professional on the matter, I am going to come straight out and say that if implementing a new UI requires editing in excess of 5k lines of code, which as you said, is toy software, then their problems go well beyond the pvp game mode.

A balance team is already in place, they are only required to play the same game with different stats.

This is all perfectly implementable with a team of 1 or 2 developers/programmers. It the political decisions and internal approval procedures that are the issue, NOT the technical/economic aspect of it.

We are talking a multi million dollar company hiring 2 interns still in or straight out of college to do 90% of the job and once it is tested and green lit the only thing left is polishing (prettier forms, nicer looking maps).

(edited by Apolo.5942)

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Cyninja.2954

This is irrelevant

You have no idea what you are talking about. PvP needs 2 kinds of overhaul.
1- Overall slow down of fights. Through a better gear system.
2- Different Modes.

2- Involves new maps, map creation tools are among the first things that are developed along with the game engine, its how their artists actually use it. So the cost of this overhaul is pretty much on the game mode testing. Given they can simply push the maps as unranked games for player testing and feed back, the cost of this “overhaul” is pretty negligible.

1- Involves creating a new UI and new Items, not modifying the underlying systems. And as a professional on the matter, I am going to come straight out and say that if implementing a new UI requires editing in excess of 5k lines of code, which as you said, is toy software, then their problems go well beyond the pvp game mode.

A balance team is already in place, they are only required to play the same game with different stats.

This is all perfectly implementable with a team of 1 or 2 developers/programmers. It the political decisions and internal approval procedures that are the issue, NOT the technical/economic aspect of it.

We are talking a multi million dollar company hiring 2 interns still in or straight out of college to do 90% of the job and once it is tested and green lit the only thing left is polishing (prettier forms, nicer looking maps).

Yup you are correct. I am absolutely sure everyone who has experience in software developement will agree with you.

Some people…

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

……………………………………………………………………..

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

That they give meaningful consideration to PvE (raids) in balance is a relatively new thing, for the first three years they balanced virtually entirely around PvP, when they used to do balance patch discussions on Twitch early in the game, 90-100% of the changes were in realtion to PvP, in Alpha PvE/WvW players were virtually ignored in regard to combat mechanics / class design and all that mattered was what Teldo & Co said, classes in other PvE/WvW modes spend literally years as broken OP/UP because again the game was balanced virtually exclusively around PvP until HoT and so on…

Which is why people say the game (in respect to the mechanics of the class design and balance) is based around PvP.

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

Epic… I love this one. It’s soo true. All that’s needed is for someone to link a PvP gif with the Titanic in it.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

Where the rewards come from makes no difference. It was dying for a long time and now it’s just not worth the cost.

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Delweyn.1309

Delweyn.1309

The esport pvp is a fail but Anet don’t change the rules to make it a fun pvp. Still keep their 5v5 conquest mode. Nothing else with no communication.

If even the matchmaking was good but it’s a real catastrophe. And no will to propose something better. It’s best to hide and make the ostrich.

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

you tryna say sumfin bro?

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

I’ve wondered what kind of balancing pve players expect from this?
Can someone give me examples of what could be changed with skills now that the spvp pros are no longer playing? I’m just genuinely curious on this. Pve still affects wvw so I don’t expect any crazy changes either, although we’ve seen they allowed some broken stuff to exist in there for months before bothering to look at it. If players can clear raids now with current comps I don’t see why they would want to change stuff.

Now that the pros aren’t playing I don’t even expect them to stick to quarterly balance changes.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

NeXeD.3042

I’ve wondered what kind of balancing pve players expect from this?
Can someone give me examples of what could be changed with skills now that the spvp pros are no longer playing? I’m just genuinely curious on this. Pve still affects wvw so I don’t expect any crazy changes either, although we’ve seen they allowed some broken stuff to exist in there for months before bothering to look at it. If players can clear raids now with current comps I don’t see why they would want to change stuff.

Now that the pros aren’t playing I don’t even expect them to stick to quarterly balance changes.

Pvers want stuff changed so they can press 1 in a corner for 30 seconds instead of 60 seconds. YAY!

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Tyrion.9015

Tyrion.9015

They’ve got an eSports game, balanced pvp, separated skills between pve and pvp, lots of builds, maps, gamemodes,etc. It’s called Guild Wars

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

They’ve got an eSports game, balanced pvp, separated skills between pve and pvp, lots of builds, maps, gamemodes,etc. It’s called Guild Wars

And when was the last time you saw you Guilds v Guilds?

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

Anet should just have some monthly automated tournament
with ingame prices that cost them nothing!
(stuff like Gems, Minipets, Temporary/Permanent Titles, Precursors, ….)

This would be really cool but it needs ~2 (or more) reliable shoutcasters to stream those tournaments since we dont have the option to watch them ingame (which would be epic if possible but i doubt anet can do that with reasonable effort atm)

A 200.000 Dollar cash price isnt hyping anyone more than nice ingame rewards…
But the top teams playing in a serious tournment is enough to make everyone interested in PvP watch it

And that could easily be reached by having an automated tournament i think

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: Tyrion.9015

Tyrion.9015

Oh this weekend was the MAT, go check the GvG’s, Dunes of Disrepair [EU] won the gold trim.

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Oh this weekend was the MAT, go check the GvG’s, Dunes of Disrepair [EU] won the gold trim.

EU still has GvG?

Faaaaaark what am I doing on NA still!?

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: ImdA.4701

ImdA.4701

A 200.000 Dollar cash price isnt hyping anyone more than nice ingame rewards…

???

Spvp & E-Sports

in PvP

Posted by: jihm.2315

jihm.2315

an esport should play like an esport and an mmo should play like an mmo
if they cant change the current game engine then its time for gw3

action combat made mmos better lol