Spvp QoL, Monetization, Barrier of entry

in PvP

Posted by: Kline.9561

Kline.9561

Thanks for starting this thread, Kline.9561! I’ll make sure the team sees it.

thanks Allie.
I’m going to try and keep this thread positive and on rail the best I can

28.make some free servers built solely for duels and training so that players can shake off the rust if they haven’t played in awhile or for people wanting to increase there skill or test new builds. Or come out with a system that allows players to duel each-other with a /command in PvE world map and specific areas in the mists,

also building a map specific to catering to duels or small 3v3 matches is a good idea so the the community can host there own 3v3 arena death-matches/no respawn deathmatch (also another incentive to buy custom arenas) and if it gets popular enough, start to support this as a potential game mode

And before says my build doesn’t work, when Ele’s get nerfed it will be -Schwahrheit

(edited by Kline.9561)

in PvP

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

A good game company puts its vision before profits. It needs profits to survive, but after that its focus is on realizing its vision for a great game.

Just look at competitive RTS. A lot of resources is poured into the single player campaign, but noone can deny that Starcraft is primarily a competitive game, even if only 10% of the player base play online regularly.

Pve gets you money, pvp gets you credibility.

Once upon a time anets vision for gw was to have a true competitive mmo. If they stuck to their vision then there’s no need to monetize pvp. You simply milk pve players to fund pvp, just like pretty much any other competitive game that offers a single player campaign.

in PvP

Kline.9561

A good game company puts its vision before profits. It needs profits to survive, but after that its focus is on realizing its vision for a great game.

Just look at competitive RTS. A lot of resources is poured into the single player campaign, but noone can deny that Starcraft is primarily a competitive game, even if only 10% of the player base play online regularly.

Once upon a time anets vision for gw was to have a true competitive mmo. If they stuck to their vision then there’s no need to monetize pvp. You simply milk pve players to fund pvp, just like pretty much any other competitive game that offers a single player campaign.

I agree full heatedly with your sound post. but I think Gw2 could be in a position where they could have there cake and eat it too, meaning they could stand to gain from both pve and pvp. which in my opinion would be even better, because then your pulling revenue from both aspects of the game without having to rely on the other.

as for Anets vision and priority’s I think that issue has more to do with upper management. I see a lot of the PvP developers catch rage and flak for the current state of pvp. and I do agree that a lot of things could of been prevented in these last bit of patches, yet they cant change those things or make them better at the drop of a hat without going threw the rest of the design team, that is why we have patches, and patch dates that sometimes have to be pushed back until its ready.

edit: some things i want to make clear from my main post, please guys refrain from posting your emotions, stick to posting your experiences in the game. due not derail or entice arguments and please add to the list of ideas.

I understand a lot of resentment players have for the spvp team, but the truth is the game shipped a bit early before spvp was finished (games due have deadlines) they have resource issues on the pvp side, but cut the developers a little slack, I’m not white knight’ing here but “to human is error” and they made some mistakes along the way.

refer to this video to give you an idea of what it takes to be a game designer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2C_Qqx3HmM

And before says my build doesn’t work, when Ele’s get nerfed it will be -Schwahrheit

(edited by Kline.9561)

in PvP

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

They did it with GW1. Different team now, so it might not hold, but one thing ANet is, is stubborn. I don’t see them doing anything but what their vision is, the real question is are the capable of reaching that vision, and is that vision good enough?

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in PvP

Kline.9561

They did it with GW1. Different team now, so it might not hold, but one thing ANet is, is stubborn. I don’t see them doing anything but what their vision is, the real question is are the capable of reaching that vision, and is that vision good enough?

I agree
I see Anet as a very stubborn bunch (very evident from the issues discussed in the WvW section) that could only stand to gain from being more transparent and implementing some of the community’s ideas . I see this as a different Anet too, but everything is temporary and changes, I had great times with gw1 and nostalgia gets the better of me asking myself why they cant this and that since gw1 had it. but ultimately I think they need to focus on the Now issues, like the spammy meta and how it needs to die in a fire.

in PvP

Posted by: Oni Link.4621

Oni Link.4621

Kline, a lot of good ideas but they can’t be realized without solving the core question: being fun AND fast-access.

• Being fun means that after winning a match you MUST feel satisfied. If you are not, then the whole SPVP is useless since you are playing for satisfaction of overwhelming your opponent. This is the whole point of Player versus Player.
  • With fast-access I mean what League of Legends did and what GW2 is lacking: a big red “PLAY” button that you press, choose the game mode and BAM! matchmaking and go.
    No need to search for rooms in an unlimited list of 5v5, 8v8, private rooms, custom arenas and whatever there is. LoL has custom rooms too (they are free by the way) but if you want to simply play you just have to click a big red button.

Until this game won’t solve this two problems, SPVP will just be a feature like Keg Brawl, Crab Toss, Aspect Arena or whatever.

in PvP

Kline.9561

Kline, a lot of good ideas but they can’t be realized without solving the core question: being fun AND fast-access.

• Being fun means that after winning a match you MUST feel satisfied. If you are not, then the whole SPVP is useless since you are playing for satisfaction of overwhelming your opponent. This is the whole point of Player versus Player.
  • With fast-access I mean what League of Legends did and what GW2 is lacking: a big red “PLAY” button that you press, choose the game mode and BAM! matchmaking and go.
    No need to search for rooms in an unlimited list of 5v5, 8v8, private rooms, custom arenas and whatever there is. LoL has custom rooms too (they are free by the way) but if you want to simply play you just have to click a big red button.

Until this game won’t solve this two problems, SPVP will just be a feature like Keg Brawl, Crab Toss, Aspect Arena or whatever.

I am well aware of the core issues with the game but the ideas I present are meant for the long run Investment. Your reply are issues that need tackled as well thank you for listing your ideas

If you come up with any other ideas that help spvp please list them

in PvP

Posted by: Magische Boek.2530

Magische Boek.2530

a new game mode, just get in and start fighting, not having to worry about any other objective than destroying your enemy. when you die you can instantly respawn and join the fight again. this is great for practice. sure i can learn how to play in these point conquest mode’s but most of the time im running from A to B. i just wanna get in and have a great time blasting on each other.

I’m not arguing!
I’m simply explaining why I’m right.

in PvP

Posted by: Xom.9264

Xom.9264

Or just add deathmatch and watch the PvE and WvW population show up maybe even get people that quit to come back.

Xomox ~Human Necro/Engineer ET

in PvP

Kline.9561

29. MOBA style game mode. The holloween pvp event was amazing anet should of taken that concept for gw2 and continue to build
Upon it for spvp

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

4. Templates. I personally believe that this is an option that should be sold in the cash shop.

Totally hit the nail with that one, bud.
Hear that sound? Ye that’s your credibility flying out the window.

/facetable
/headwall

it takes money to make money then you take that money invest it into the game in order to keep players happy so that you continue to make money. I’m sure that all those people who work on this game enjoy a thing called food and gas money. this game is not subscription based so it still has to maintain revenue. This game also maintains a pretty fair cash shop so make it where you can purchase templates with glory, and make them account wide.

most people who work in the game industry do it out of their passion for gaming.especially when there are much higher paying opportunities out there

Dude, templates are virtually like public utilities, they’re there for the better good of all participants (in our case, current and future pvp playerbase), they form the base infrastructure to build upon and are meant to facilitate pvp in general, instead of serving as an extra source of cash. Holy kittens. Some proposals you made are ok, but the level of asinine in that one is out of the charts.

Put a price tag on a feature such as templates and you virtuall succeeded in putting another nail in the coffin that is GW2 pvp.
Well, it’s kinda over and done with anyway, so I guess another one won’t matter ALL that much.
Might as well put a dollar entrance fee to the mists while at it.

This, a thousand time this.
With the right strategy, however, pvp too can be a good source of revenues.
But not by monetizing basic infrastructure.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

Posted by: leungclj.4915

leungclj.4915

I totally agree on MOBA style gameplay, I just watched some SMITE gameplay, and I thought GW2 can SO do this~!

in PvP

Posted by: Kentrey.3251

Kentrey.3251

I gotta admit this has to be one of the best and most productive threads i’ve ever seen….well ever.
I don’t think you’ve listed a bad idea yea. Yea sPvP needs a big revamp in almost every area.
But why not take as many steps in the right direction as you can. And any company likes ideas that makes them money. And personally i’m just here waiting for a reason to get gems and noting in PvE is appealing.

Anyway keeping the thread in the right direction.
- A “PvP Locker bank access stone” just like the stone that lets you get to your personal bank i would love to be able to work with my pvp gear as well.

Though that chance would warrent a need to be able to modify your pvp builds while you’re in pve

-a PvP tab in your Hero menu. Just like you can view your town clothes, i believe it’d be great to be able to view your PvP gear from anywhere in the world and by doing so you should also have access to your current pvp build and traits. I personally like to que for pvp matches while i’m out farming or doing some type of other content. But i have no way to view or modify my build without being in the mist. I would love it if there was not only a way to reach my locker (which already has sigil and runes in it) but also work and rework my builds from anywhere in the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

I support OP ideas !!!

in PvP

Posted by: Blackhat.4016

Blackhat.4016

Great ideas although the majority were already posted months ago and didn’t find their way into the game yet. Well, maybe this time.

in PvP

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

*Zaishen keys, you misspelled it :p

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in PvP

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

1. Video Channels. […]
11. Streams, and replay. […]

We need a decent spectator system. Maybe not 100 000’s of spectators, but even starting off at 20 or so would be a big boost. This would encourage the community to livestream/commentate/YouTube games. This post comes to mind:

Too bad it’s only 8v8[…]

[…]Could have done 10 v 10 but need space for people to cast the tourney and mod.

That’s getting in the way of people creating an eSport community. Replays are nice, new maps are nice, however, live spectating should be one of your biggest priorities.

I’m not 100% on-board with ANet putting up videos (class+build showcases are fine, but, e.g. the HoN ones never got many views). Nearly all of the eSports commentators I have watched (SC2, Dota 2, HoN, etc.) set themselves up within the community with no involvement from the developer. While it would be nice to see the developers getting involved with the bigger personalities once they are established; these people must be allowed to set their own scene up without involvement (or more specifically, tampering) of the developers. At some point getting too involved or “pushy” will just scare people off. You have to make a good platform and let your community run with it.

If you want to incentivise players getting involved with PvP you could also go the Dota 2 route: rewards for spectators. I might even go as far to say very rare drop chances of PvE aesthetic items from spectating PvP, and obviously PvP weapon skins, glory boosters, etc. That would be a big draw on your PvE community and it might generate a lot of interest in the game mode.

Edit: In hindsight I guess why we don’t have different game modes is that there aren’t enough PvP players – adding more game modes would merely fragment the limited playerbase. One interesting release mechanic would have some form of LS for PvP: release a game mode every month (only one mode available at a time) and see which gets the most traction from the playerbase.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

(edited by zamalek.2154)

in PvP

Posted by: Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

+1E99

This all is a must have

all is vain – #BelieveInKarl – #EvanForPresident

in PvP

Posted by: vrilek.4038

vrilek.4038

Pvp was just an addition to gw2 since launch. I wish newcoming patch will make changes to right direction.

in PvP

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

Why some of you keep suggesting gw2 pvp side to become free to play? I don’t know about you guys, but I don’t like visiting some nasty site if you know what I mean – click my signature if you don’t.

in PvP

Posted by: Xunleashed.5271

Xunleashed.5271

One thing I hate about sPvP: poor itemization. No way to balance my stats, the amulet-only stats system doesn’t allow me to do that

Xunleashed [BT] – Elementalist
WvW Videos Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/XunleashedGW2

in PvP

Posted by: Super Riceman.8702

Super Riceman.8702

I’ll toss in some of mine since my original thread got sent to die in the suggestion forum

Add Custom Arena Tokens, Black Lion Keys, and Karma Consumables to Tournament Win Chests: PvE incentive to PvP, Ability to sustain a custom arena solely through PvP

Change pt reward from standing on point to contesting a point: It will stop multiple people from trying to cap the same uncontested point, rewards roaming

Make pt reward for capturing/neutralizing points apply team wide That way there is still reason to cap but no one is losing out from not getting their first

Limit Anet Custom Arena Sizes to 5v5

Make Skyhammer only available on player-owned custom arenas

Add Settings to adjust the quality of other player’s models/ what race they are: Eliminates racial advantage

Change the way rank is determined Functioning on a pt scale incentivizes farming and rewards those who exploited skyhammer. It also makes it so that getting certain armors take way too long.

Change it so that ranks rabbit-phoenix are based on specific challenges for each class in tournament games and make Dragon achieved by obtaining all other ranks. It will encourage variety in tPvP, not reward farmers and be an actual representation of skill with all classes.
It will also allow PvP players to be able to quickly acquire specific gear but still keep dragon as a long term goal

There is only one god and its name is nerf. There is only one thing we say to nerf, not today

in PvP

Kline.9561

Dude, templates are virtually like public utilities, they’re there for the better good of all participants (in our case, current and future pvp playerbase), they form the base infrastructure to build upon and are meant to facilitate pvp in general, instead of serving as an extra source of cash. Holy kittens. Some proposals you made are ok, but the level of asinine in that one is out of the charts.

your free to express your own opinion, your free to disagree with mine I’m fine with a bit of criticism, but don’t bother with your overly emotional insults. personally I wouldn’t mind having free templates at all, it would be nice, I just thought if they were sold for gems it would make spvp more self sustainable.

Put a price tag on a feature such as templates and you virtuall succeeded in putting another nail in the coffin that is GW2 pvp.
Well, it’s kinda over and done with anyway, so I guess another one won’t matter ALL that much.
Might as well put a dollar entrance fee to the mists while at it.

now all of a sudden its Gw2 doom, gloom and defeat?
if you think the game is already six feet under why are you bothering with these forums? what happen to that opinion you just had strong feelings for?

I get it your frustrated a lot of people are right there with you, but try not to vent and maintain at least a bit of tact in this thread.

in PvP

Kline.9561

Why some of you keep suggesting gw2 pvp side to become free to play? I don’t know about you guys, but I don’t like visiting some nasty site if you know what I mean – click my signature if you don’t.

because it could very well be the player base increase Anet needs for spvp. and a financial opportunity, that could later improve the state of spvp.

and I’m not sure what you mean by nasty site, if your implying the sense of community is going down hill in these forums do to more people using them, i would argue that its already pretty toxic.

(edited by Kline.9561)

in PvP

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

because it could very well be the player base increase Anet needs for spvp. and a financial opportunity, that could later improve the state of spvp.

and I’m not sure what you mean by nasty site, if your implying the sense of community is going down hill in these forums do to more people using them, i would argue that its already pretty toxic.

So there would be absolutely 0 income from PvP players since they don’t even have to buy the game. hashtagworthit

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in PvP

Posted by: FoopOplo.7914

FoopOplo.7914

11 and #12 are the big ones.

Whether you can handle replays or not, I really feel you NEED to find a way to make them work. That’s how I got better with other ESports like Starcraft, by watching my mistakes. We can’t do that in Guild Wars.

Penalizing people who leave would also be huge. I know you want to bring new peeps into the pvp scene, but if you want to keep the ones you have, you’d better find some sort of penalty to those who waste 15 minutes of 9 other people. That’s extremely inconsiderate.

Don’t play GUILD wars without a GUILD!

http://www.Vicarious-Gaming.enjin.com

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Agree with all except for the GvG. That needs to be in WvW. The armor/gear options are too basic in PvP. The beauty of GvG is all the slight variations on armor/gear/food choices. PvP is too dumbed down to do the game mode justice.

in PvP

Kline.9561

So there would be absolutely 0 income from PvP players since they don’t even have to buy the game. hashtagworthit

have you been reading the post or did you just read the op?

Anet could monetize on tons of pvp oriented items to sell in the cash shop. while also advertising and selling the full client of the game to the free to play spvp players
being that the mists only free to play.

in PvP

Kline.9561

Agree with all except for the GvG. That needs to be in WvW. The armor/gear options are too basic in PvP. The beauty of GvG is all the slight variations on armor/gear/food choices. PvP is too dumbed down to do the game mode justice.

one of the issues with that it takes players away from the main wvw game

I mean it could be its own zone but that is still putting more stress and lag on the wvw servers

why does it need to be wvw? i think as long as there is a guild vs guild infrastructure it wouldn’t matter because players would be happy to just play it.

I felt it more suited to have its own map (or two) on custom arenas because then players and community could customize how they want gvg to play.

if the issue is you enjoy the aspect of pve gear in gvg. i would have to say thats fairly subjective, i personally would like to see it more organized with streamlined stats like in spvp

(edited by Kline.9561)

in PvP

Kline.9561

30. a smart phone application that allows me to talk to my friends when Im not in game so that i can stay up to date with pvp events and games would be really cool qol feature.

or even purchase cash shop items when I cant be in game for awhile

in PvP

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

30. a smart phone application that allows me to talk to my friends when Im not in game so that i can stay up to date with pvp events and games would be really cool qol feature.

or even purchase cash shop items when I cant be in game for awhile

Get ready to laugh. My signature is a screenshot brought by a player who was playing during trial weekends or should I say extended week. I suggested you to click, you didn’t, and completly missed my point. Now for real, click it!

Not pretty, right?

I, myself, experienced this kind of behoviour in soloQ, but the funny thing is that, both my team and the opposite team got a naked troll lol. We won though.

Anyway, that’s a pretty good example of what free to play pvp will bring and I’d rather deal with afkers only than… afkers+trolls+bots or simply people switching account whenever they feel like it when their mmr is too low causing by this action mmr inflations… oh wait, it already is. Just no thank you.

(edited by Poplolita.2638)

in PvP

Posted by: Kentrey.3251

Kentrey.3251

Have you ever played League of Legends its one of the highest grossing games of the season. And how much does it cost? Not a single shiny gem. The idea is you give players a product. They enjoy the product. Since they are spending their time on their product why wouldn’t they spend the money on making that product better for themselves. And though the increasing money generation the company has more reason to product more product.

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

I originally made this post in the MLG Denial thread but recently felt that it need to be its own thread

okay here’s a list of things that you can monetize on for spvP.

1. Video Channels. […]

2. Formatting Hot Join. […]

3. Setting Team Que at Higher Incentives […]

4. Templates. […]

5. Ziashen Keys. […]

6. Glory Boosters. […]

7. this of late is a pretty controversial topic. but try attaching a Guild verses Guild Mode into Custom Arenas to give the community more incentive to buy custom arenas.

8. Start Selling Tickets so that players can watch tournament games in game. and compendiums that support their favorite teams.

9. Another way of helping new players is to give Short Cut Scenes of how to play spvp gamemodes when they first enter SPVP. or have the living story team make a short Interactive event, that has a players entering spvp for the first time playing a match with npc’s.

10. make rewards give the player a Feeling of Satisfactory and Accomplishment. presenting a cool reward or item after a match with flashy presentation. is a good way to start. encouraging the player to achieve more rewards.

11. Streams, and replay. new players learning from top tier players, via watching streams and replays. this is an amazing tool to help every player improve their game. coming up with an in game system, that allows players to pull up old replays and save them to their computer. or watch live games. this doesn’t need to be a system tied into hot joints, it needs to be its own thing. there needs to be an NPC in the mist that pulls up all the information players need, to watch live games and replays.(give an option for players to save a replay after a match ends, so they can learn from their mistakes or the enemy team).

I will continue to add to this post when I think of new ideas or concepts
I greatly encourage the community to add to the list with there own ideas on how to make spvp a bigger priority for Anet as a company.

also I understand the current state of the game and the resentment a lot of players feel towards it.
but please do not derail or entice Arguments and refrain from Hyperbole because it does not help the devs or healthy discussion.

thank you.

You have started with “here is list of things to monetize” and then you list mostly basic features. It’s not even clear to me how “formatting hotjoin” would be a paid feature?

Your post is bad because it presents some good ideas and then sticks a dollar sign in front of them, as if the message to anet was: “make us pay for everything”. I think people are not reading clearly and just agreeing with things they want to see, not realizing these would all be for $$$.

You certainly shouldn’t try to monetize little things like skill templates, dear god what a nightmare that would be.

Here is your way to monetize the game, are you ready? Not with qol features everyone should have access to, not with new game modes behind pay walls, and certainly not by selling tickets to streams

Weapon & Armor skins.

It’s not a new idea, but it is an effective one.
Follow team fortress model roughly:

• eliminate glory, it is unnecessary complication and makes game feel like grind
  • “basic” weapon & armor skins drop often
  • salvage large amount of these for an armor piece you want, higher “tiers” require more salvaged items (not using mystic toilet, but less-rng system)
  • higher-tier pvp skins are also available to purchase. I think it should be real money and not gems.
  • create new “ultimate” weapon and armor sets that can only be earned in-game by skilled players who win a lot (many ways to do this, I’d say an monthly tournament)
  • create “reskins” of basic weapons that look cool, or different than normal but are still recognizable, put these in shop as well.
  • weapon sigils that can be bought and perform some kind of animation/sound when killing someone. would be interesting to have these sigils have no other effects so player chooses between bling and effectiveness. This is a theme you could continue in various other ways, where a player will choose to try and handicap himself but still win, thus showing off.

I’m just going to stop now. I had a few more ideas, but it’s wasted effort. There is no need to nickle and dime players for features in a b2p game when there are existing business models that make more money with f2p and still respecting player dignity.

in PvP

Kline.9561

@milo

Did not ment selling tickets to streams but to watch games like mlg in game in spectator mode

Thanks for posting your ideas

(edited by Kline.9561)

in PvP

Posted by: Thoth Divine.8642

Thoth Divine.8642

I think there are some good points but the most important one for me is “Increase penalty for leaving/afk’ing in tournament games.” Really ruins the experience of solo Q. And as some said above I think free to play sPvP would be quite ridiculous. Would really increase tremendously the amount of bot/spam, but I doubt Anet would do that anyway.

Blessed Curse – Symbolic DH
Thoth Divine – Power Necro
I Hope You Die – Burst Berserker

in PvP

Posted by: Jakzor.4160

Jakzor.4160

this thread is absolutely gold.

Also i think many people would like a more competitive mode added to spvp(CTF, DOM or MOBA style)

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

your free to express your own opinion, your free to disagree with mine I’m fine with a bit of criticism, but don’t bother with your overly emotional insults. personally I wouldn’t mind having free templates at all, it would be nice, I just thought if they were sold for gems it would make spvp more self sustainable.

It’s appaling to read that kind of suggestion in an otherwise good thread.
For the record, with the addition of templates on GW1, build sharing became revolutionized, and it helped connect the community even more, not to mention the boost it gave to build diversity/testing. I honestly cannot imagine GW without templates anymore – losing that would feel a lot like going back to the Dark Ages.
Moreover, templates can also be used for hotlinking, so they basically killed two birds with one stone.
Can you at least try to understand why it is appalling to see suggestions to monetize such an important feature?
Besides, if you call that an “overly emotional insult”, I reckon you must be new to the pvp scene. Especially because it was directed strictly at the suggestion itself.

now all of a sudden its Gw2 doom, gloom and defeat?
if you think the game is already six feet under why are you bothering with these forums? what happen to that opinion you just had strong feelings for?

I get it your frustrated a lot of people are right there with you, but try not to vent and maintain at least a bit of tact in this thread.

I wouldn’t call over half of the passing year all of a sudden.
It might come as a surprise to you, but offering criticism on the forums is a whole lot more fun than actually playing the game. It’s always fun(ny) to draw lines of comparison between the OS and new-age game, and point out the 1001 deficiency in the latter.
I’ve tried the ‘constructive feedback’ route too, but it was an effort wasted and an attempt futile.
There are quite a few posters such as myself around these parts, and their numbers will probably continue to grow as the game regresses further.
Besides, frustration is something I experienced at the start of the game…now there are only sarcasm and resignation left in regards to this game.

11 and #12 are the big ones.

Whether you can handle replays or not, I really feel you NEED to find a way to make them work. That’s how I got better with other ESports like Starcraft, by watching my mistakes. We can’t do that in Guild Wars.

Anet have already stated once that their game engine does not support replays (or more precisely, it’d take a year worth of programming to implement such a feature), so no can do.
GW1, on the other hand, has an awesome spectator mode, and it could even be improved further.

Have you ever played League of Legends its one of the highest grossing games of the season. And how much does it cost? Not a single shiny gem. The idea is you give players a product. They enjoy the product. Since they are spending their time on their product why wouldn’t they spend the money on making that product better for themselves. And though the increasing money generation the company has more reason to product more product.

Yes, but here’s the catch – players need to actually enjoy the pvp for something like that to happen.

Your post is bad because it presents some good ideas and then sticks a dollar sign in front of them, as if the message to anet was: “make us pay for everything”. I think people are not reading clearly and just agreeing with things they want to see, not realizing these would all be for $$$.

You certainly shouldn’t try to monetize little things like skill templates, dear god what a nightmare that would be.

Here is your way to monetize the game, are you ready? Not with qol features everyone should have access to, not with new game modes behind pay walls, and certainly not by selling tickets to streams

^Pretty much my point.

mystic toilet

kekeke

To sum up, what you’re suggesting, and what us GW1 veterans are used to, is a lot like comparing a country without a (sound) public sector – a system where every single basic feature will cost you a few bucks – to a land with strong network of public utilities, social safeguards – overall a rock-solid public sector.
People who find it a good idea to stick a price tag on QoL things / basic infrastructure – be it ig or rl – were simply never part of a system where such things were freely available to everyone because of the massive (and often vital) advantages they mean for the playerbase, or the population, as a whole.

If you wish to monetize features, and monetize them successfully, you first need strong foundations to facilitate playerbase growth instead of obstructing it.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

Kline.9561

31.weekend/monthly tournaments. Over the weekend/month host a multi team tournament that rewards gems And increased rewards/special loot to the top qualifying teams.

(edited by Kline.9561)

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

31.weekend tournaments. Over the weekend host a multi team tournament that rewards gems And increased rewards/special loot to the top qualifying teams.

And that will be monetized how?
Otherwise we will rename this thread to “stuff we’d like to see in game”

in PvP

Kline.9561

31.weekend tournaments. Over the weekend host a multi team tournament that rewards gems And increased rewards/special loot to the top qualifying teams.

Anet could grab some sponsers if they decide to stream the turnaments, have some commercials in the stream. Now that i think about every week would be a bit much maybe once a month.not to mention it would give teams something to look forward to while Keeping people playing.

(edited by Kline.9561)

in PvP

Posted by: Flamfloz.6732

Flamfloz.6732

That’s what it’s been since first post, actually.

There were about 5 suggestions on “how to monetize” (get money from the player, for paid features) and about 25 suggestions on “how to improve the game so that it makes money someday”.

So yeah… Some “good” suggestions but really loads of bad ones and very few realistic explanations on how money can be made from these suggestions (“Simplez: let’s get sponsors/the NASA involved and there will be plenty of money to PvP!” – well just call them and ask then, you will see their response).

in PvP

Kline.9561

That’s what it’s been since first post, actually.

There were about 5 suggestions on “how to monetize” (get money from the player, for paid features) and about 25 suggestions on “how to improve the game so that it makes money someday”.

So yeah… Some “good” suggestions but really loads of bad ones and very few realistic explanations on how money can be made from these suggestions (“Simplez: let’s get sponsors/the NASA involved and there will be plenty of money to PvP!” – well just call them and ask then, you will see their response).

If i made a short post with an idea that may not seem like it could be made into legal tender my apologies But keep in mind, More people playing could be profit in itself. So if i list ideas to get more people playing or help newbies thats what they Are.if you want me to give more details i will

If you think i should change the title i have no problem doing so

(edited by Kline.9561)

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

2. Formatting Hot Join. to prepare new players for competitive formats such as tournaments. meaning that it’s time to set hot join maps at 5 vs 5 games, so as to not confuse and frustrate new players coming into tournaments from hot joins. 16 player matches are wildly different from 10 player matches, and if the community wants 16 player matches that is what custome arena is for.

i would like express my opinion regarding this again since the last one seems to have gone unnoticed.

hot join maps already have 5 vs 5 and 8 vs 8 maps.

there is no need to remove 8 vs 8 public servers.

perhaps a big red “PLAY NOW (5 vs 5)” button would be better.

i repeat, you have no right to ask for the removal of the 8 vs 8 public servers that most casual spvp players enjoy.

in PvP

Kline.9561

2. Formatting Hot Join. to prepare new players for competitive formats such as tournaments. meaning that it’s time to set hot join maps at 5 vs 5 games, so as to not confuse and frustrate new players coming into tournaments from hot joins. 16 player matches are wildly different from 10 player matches, and if the community wants 16 player matches that is what custome arena is for.

i would like express my opinion regarding this again since the last one seems to have gone unnoticed.

hot join maps already have 5 vs 5 and 8 vs 8 maps.

there is no need to remove 8 vs 8 public servers.

perhaps a big red “PLAY NOW (5 vs 5)” button would be better.

i repeat, you have no right to ask for the removal of the 8 vs 8 public servers that most casual spvp players enjoy.

Make 2 buttons? one for 8v8 casual and one
For 5v5 legit practise mode.

in PvP

Posted by: Goorman.7916

Goorman.7916

Making templates cost real money? That is an embarassment even to suggest.
Make your mind TC. We want the developers to improve SPvP, but we don’t want to lose all of our dignity doing so. “Oh please let me buy at least this thing i want very much”. In the end, this is not the last game in the world.

Ash Goorman, 80 level ranger
Lavern Goorman, 80 level thief
Spvp rank 41

in PvP

Posted by: Mindroach.6149

Mindroach.6149

I originally made this post in the MLG Denial thread but recently felt that it need to be its own thread

Kline.9561, a lot of the tips/suggestions you make in your post are things that are big focuses for us. The good news is that some of that work is spread out over several different teams, so while it might take a while to develop, we have a lot of great features coming to help with barrier to entry, etc.

As for monetization, that’s a bit more difficult considering we already give a lot of the things that can be monetized away as we don’t want to have a huge barrier to entry in PvP. If you have suggestions for stuff like that, feel free to share!

okay here’s a list of things that you can monetize on for spvP.

1. Video Channels. this is a huge one, teaching players about skills classes and game modes through visual observation is a great way to teach players, all about SPVP. games like League of Legends and dota 2 have quick 5 second videos directly in there video game, straight from YouTube, these quick video showcase the abilities of every hero in their game.

so make a youtube channel completely dedicated 2 SPVP that new players can directly connect to from in game. that showcases the strength and weaknesses of each class. as well as helpful tips on how to play the game.

3. Setting Team Que at Higher Incentives and priorities than solo queue and hot joins. this will help form teams and a stronger community, making people coordinate together to achieve goals.

4. Templates. I personally believe that this is an option that should be sold in the cash shop. this could generate great revenue for both SPVP and PvE. attach templates to the PvP lockers to keep players from switching build mid game or before it starts.

5. Ziashen Keys. simply put make it happen.

6. Glory Boosters. when you change the reward system make glory actually worth something. there’s not enough glory dumps in the game to justify spending any of it. So make glory boosters something people want to buy on the cash shop. rather than passing them out so freely.

7. this of late is a pretty controversial topic. but try attaching a Guild verses Guild Mode into Custom Arenas to give the community more incentive to buy custom arenas.

8. Start Selling Tickets so that players can watch tournament games in game. and compendiums that support their favorite teams.

9. Another way of helping new players is to give Short Cut Scenes of how to play spvp gamemodes when they first enter SPVP. or have the living story team make a short Interactive event, that has a players entering spvp for the first time playing a match with npc’s.

10. make rewards give the player a Feeling of Satisfactory and Accomplishment. presenting a cool reward or item after a match with flashy presentation. is a good way to start. encouraging the player to achieve more rewards.

11. Streams, and replay. new players learning from top tier players, via watching streams and replays. this is an amazing tool to help every player improve their game. coming up with an in game system, that allows players to pull up old replays and save them to their computer. or watch live games. this doesn’t need to be a system tied into hot joints, it needs to be its own thing. there needs to be an NPC in the mist that pulls up all the information players need, to watch live games and replays.(give an option for players to save a replay after a match ends, so they can learn from their mistakes or the enemy team).

I will continue to add to this post when I think of new ideas or concepts
I greatly encourage the community to add to the list with there own ideas on how to make spvp a bigger priority for Anet as a company.

also I understand the current state of the game and the resentment a lot of players feel towards it.
but please do not derail or entice Arguments and refrain from Hyperbole because it does not help the devs or healthy discussion.

thank you.

All this! Especially 9 and 10

in PvP

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Super mods strike again!

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

Moving it to the PVE suggestion forum? great that’ll definitely help.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Kline.9561

yuuuuuuuuuup mods strike again
ill try and make an appeal to get it moved back

(edited by Kline.9561)

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

We could also lobby for our threads not to ever be moved here for the purposes of murdering them.

Might as well while we’re here..

LOL I created a thread but they deleted it after 2 minutes. nevermind.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?